HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do you trust Dan Carpenter?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do you trust Dan Carpenter?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 04, 2012 09:05AM

Dave Hyde explored our kicker's viability in an article today and came to this conclusion:
"Bottom-line: Carpenter still is a trustworthy kicker – if you measure his range. In the last couple of years, that means get the ball inside the 45-yard line. That’s no great surprise. All kickers are better closer. But it’s something that’s become pronounced with Carpenter."
I can't say that this conclusion surprises me. Carpenter has been a money player throughout his career, he's in a slump right now, even the best kickers have them. However, what Hyde really said is that as Carpenter gets older, his range has shortened a few yards. if those kicks are 3-5 yards shorter, the stats say the odds of Carpenter making them go up substantially. Our offense has to take this into consideration. There are many kickers that are successful in this league that are never very accurate outside 45 yards. We know that Carpenter has been a productive kicker from longer distances, there is no reason to believe he won't be again once he works his way out of this slump. In the meantime, he is money from 45 yds and in. I see no reason to panic and bring in an unknown.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you trust Dan Carpenter?
Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 04, 2012 09:22AM

NOOOOOO, I don't!

Carpenter is only 26 yrs old. I don't understand saying "as Carpenter gets older". Many positions, Kickers included, don't hit their prime until years into the league.

Conclusion: He should be entering his prime but instead, he's lost his confidence.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 04, 2012 09:32AM

Oh, he's not only trustworthy but a very good field goal kicker.

But you have to know pyschology to explain what has happened to him recently, particularly the Jets game.

There are certain people who perform the same way no matter what the circumstances.

There are other people who are different.

And it's not really the same as not performing as well under pressure.

This is going to be a subtle so it's going to be hard to communicate.

Like I said, there are certain people who are unaffected by pressure.

Then come the majority of people. Those are people who perform better when NOT under pressure than when they ARE under pressure.

I know most of you are not putting Dan in that category.

Not true from my standpoint. I think in the prior years, Dan has proved NUMEROUS TIMES that he performs well under pressure.

Then there is that LITTLE KNOWN CATEGORY about people who perform well under pressure and perform well not under pressure but who CRACK when people RELY on them to perform under pressure.

Here, Philbin had the ball at the 37 yard line 1st and 10 in overtime under rules that said that if we kicked an FG, that meant game over we win.

Where as Sparano would have run three consecutive plays to take him to the 27 or at least to the 30, Philbin gambled with a Hail Mary on 2nd and 8.

What was that saying ABOUT Carpenter??

It was saying "Hey, we've got the best kicker in the NFL. We can COUNT on him making a 47 yarder" which is only 3 yards shorter than a 50 yarder.

There are just some people who can perform well when THEY ARE PUT IN A POSITION WHERE THEY HAVE TO DO THE DIFFICULT BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE WAS ALREADY TRIED but CRACK WHEN somebody puts them in that position when there was no need to put them in the position to do the difficult.

It's like having a home run hitter and having your team in the bottom of the 9th inning and the score is 1-0 which your team trailing

a) scenario ONE suppose your first two hitter EARNESTLY TRIED TO GET BASE HITS BUT STRUCK OUT. Your home run hitter comes up. That's normal. Yes there's pressure but not UNNECESSARY pressure.

b) but now scenario TWO suppose the coach tells the first two batters to just swing high and intentionally strike out because HEY WE'VE GOT SO AND SO, HE'S GONNA HIT A HOME RUN ANYWAY.

Don't you see how the second situation puts a GREAT DEAL MORE pressure on that home run hitter?

That's the position that we put Carpenter in?

I'd say that because we put him in that position, THE ODDS WERE THAT HE WOULD FAIL AS OPPOSE TO SUCCEED.

It's one thing RELYING on a field goal kicker to kick a 39 yarder. It's quite another to THROW AWAY YOUR CHANCES TO GET HIM CLOSER AND RELY ON HIM TO KICK A 47 YARDER.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 04, 2012 09:55AM

I tell you i rather have philbin whos aggressive than sparano who likes nothing more than fieldgoals...

Thats probably the reason why they couldnt score a td against the 49ers.

Because of sparano.

Date: October 04, 2012 10:07AM

You know when the choice is death by drowning or death by hanging, you shouldn't be happy to accept either.

The point is that you should not want to die at all. Not that it is preferable to die one way or the other.

My point is not that we should have Sparano.

My point is are we any better off?

My point is that at least under Sparano, we would have won these two games. Maybe we would have lost every other game but we would have won these two.

And more important, the point is to get the guy to come off that "high" he has been on since he got this job and to come down to earth and to know he can't get away with these decisions that look like they were made by a drunk or a guy on a marijuana high.

Posted by: woulf ()
Date: October 04, 2012 10:17AM

Carpenter is still a good kicker.

He missed three pretty long kicks and two of them were in rain. I'd like him to make every kick, but I don't think it's a sign of decline.

Date: October 04, 2012 10:17AM

We would not be in the position to win any of these games with sparano because he would not be aggressive enough.....and continue to run and run therefore we would get all these fieldgoals.

IMHO we would not had scored not even 15 points in any game with sparano leading this team.

Chren i know exactly what you mean i just happen to disagree.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 04, 2012 10:21AM

He kicks 50% from 50 yards and beyond.

He was kicking 72% from 40-46 yards BEFORE this year. He is at 33% for this year.

He is 80.9% for his career.
He is 62.5% for this year

By comparison....

Gary Anderson (one of the best ever...only perfect kicker season) is 80.1% for his career.

Olindo MAre is at 81.2%

Mike Vanderjagt (at one time had NFL record for %) is at 86.5 for his career.

Adam Vinatiere is at 82.7% for career.

While I don't think it's time to panic since we would still have to replace him, One more miss in a loss and he is going to be Naanee'ed.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 04, 2012 10:23AM

I guess it's just the way you PREFER TO LOSE.

I guess I would rather lose from being too conservative than too reckless.

I guess that's why although I'm a Democrat, I often find myself at loggerheads with most Democrats.

I think its stupid to be reckless.

To be overly cautious to me is a fault. That's why I fault Sparano.

But to be reckless is not just a fault, it is insane to me and I can't explain it and I can't stand it. I can't stand it!

Date: October 04, 2012 11:12AM

I do not like to lose. Nobody likes to lose. I just feel we have a better chance of winning with philbin than sparano.

I think philbins practice methods is helping with the development of tannehill as well. I read that somewhere.

Date: October 04, 2012 11:14AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not like to lose. Nobody likes to lose. I
> just feel we have a better chance of winning with
> philbin than sparano.

RESPONSE: I AGREE!!!!! But not if he doesn't learn from the mistakes of the last two games.

Date: October 04, 2012 11:20AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I do not like to lose. Nobody likes to lose. I
> > just feel we have a better chance of winning
> with
> > philbin than sparano.
>
> RESPONSE: I AGREE!!!!! But not if he doesn't
> learn from the mistakes of the last two games.

Sparano didnt learn much from 2 or 3 years been the head coach. I just hated all those fieldgoals.

Chren give philbin some time. He is just a rookie.

I rather it happens now than 3 or 4 years down the road when we are supposed to be a contender. Let him learn from his mistakes. I have a feeling he will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 11:29AM by samsam3738.

Date: October 04, 2012 12:17PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Sparano didnt learn much from 2 or 3 years been
> the head coach. I just hated all those
> fieldgoals.
>
> Chren give philbin some time. He is just a
> rookie.
>
> I rather it happens now than 3 or 4 years down the
> road when we are supposed to be a contender. Let
> him learn from his mistakes. I have a feeling he
> will.

Like I said. They are different sins. The reason I gave Philbin LESS TIME before I got on his case is because his sin was INTOLERABLE.

Baby T's sin was going only 2 miles an hour when we needed to go faster. It takes time before you've seen that enough to realize you have a TURTLE on your hands.

Philbin was SCREWING AROUND AND GAMBLING WITH THE WON-LOSS CATEGORY, that is intolerable and hopefully on other boards and in other forums he is catching so much hell that he will NEVER EVER EVER do that again.

What you're right about is that Philbin's mistake, ALTHOUGH IT IS WORSE, is much easier to correct.

You just have to NOT PLAY THE DICE GAME when you have a SURE VICTORY IN YOUR HANDS and just take your money and go home.

LOL. LOL. LOL. Unless you are like SoCalPhin and you believe that since no game is ever over until the clock runs out, you can do any damn fool thing you please and there is no such thing as "conventional wisdom" or making a bad move. LOL. LOL.

Date: October 04, 2012 12:32PM

Date: October 04, 2012 12:37PM

I hope Philbin never hears this. If he does, he might never take another chance, and so be more conservative than Sparano ever was.

Rick

Date: October 04, 2012 12:41PM

Rick, NOTHING I said applied to Tannehill or to the way Philbin has him playing during the ordinary course of the game.

It only applied to Carpenter and field goals in this thread and having Tannehill to go back and pass during the sack fumble of the Arizona game in another thread.

But if you are talking about throwing a long bomb in overtime when you are in makeable field goal range WHEN IF YOU RAN, you would be in "gimme" field goal range in sudden death to win the game, I don't call that "killer instinct," I just call it stupid.

Date: October 04, 2012 12:44PM

And I think, certainly if you ask people over 40, maybe you kids are just not as bright as Americans used to be, they'll tell you when you got a bird in the hand, and that bird in the hand translates in the football context to a WIN, taking that win and not gambling with it IS the "killer instinct."

You think it's a "killer instinct" to have the game in your hands and give the opponent a chance to pull it out????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Date: October 04, 2012 01:29PM

Matter of fact, we could have taken THREE KNEES on that play, punted, and won the game.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 04, 2012 05:11PM

Go get Neil Rackers

Date: October 05, 2012 03:07AM

Date: October 05, 2012 04:05AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Go get Neil Rackers

...Or John Kasay.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 05, 2012 05:24AM

the call shoulda been run run run FG at that point in the game.

Date: October 05, 2012 06:57AM

No i dont trust him anymore. He is the reason we 1-3 instead of 3-1.

Date: October 05, 2012 08:59AM

How do you figure that? Doing that would have put the ball in the same place on the field as missing a long ball- with the added possibility of NOT missing that long ball.

Rick

Date: October 05, 2012 09:01AM

shoulda coulda woulda

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 05, 2012 09:32AM

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: October 05, 2012 09:36AM

The problem here is that he shows pre FG kicking anxiety. The team sport pshychologists should use the practice of visualization to fix the situation with DC. I learned that in my Physical Education university course "The Principles of Sport's Psychology". Hope someone from the organization reads this info. Also add slow breathing and relaxation during the sessions. Do it in a dark room with oriental music and close the eyes. Make sure DC visualizes every time achieving success. Usually some psychologists add to the sessions visualizing also failure. But I don't think that should be used with DC. Absolutely don't use that part. Could be counterproductive. At any rate if none of what I wrote here works, we should be looking at any PK coming from Missouri Western State U. in the 2013 draft. Fellows if we had that Rams kicker.

3-1 record for certain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 09:36AM by Dolphacolyte.

Date: October 05, 2012 09:36AM

Date: October 07, 2012 05:57PM

Are the carpenter supporters still standing firm? I think Marv Alberts said today that he's 10 for 25 from beyond 45. That's 40%! Well below the nfl average. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he'll have a productive career somewhere else but he will never get his mojo back while he's kicking in Miami.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 07, 2012 06:00PM

I trust in Carpenter as much as I trust in Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.