HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami headed in the right direction.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Miami headed in the right direction.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 10:34AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Miami headed in the right direction.
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 04:51PM

need to get Rashard matthews in the game as another target with bess & hartline

Date: October 01, 2012 05:10PM

Yes we are. Even better........the Jets are NOT. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 01, 2012 05:15PM

Yet they beat us.

Date: October 02, 2012 10:22AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yet they beat us.

Because of carpenter...>we dominated the jets....

Date: October 02, 2012 10:33AM

OR because we RECKLESSLY relied on him to make a 47 yarder and gambled away the chance to get him closer.

Lookit. If that series of plays had been 3 runs or even runs on 1st and 2nd and an incomplete SHORT 3rd down pass, then okay. Dan isR paid to make those field goals but you don't RELY on a 47 yarder w/o trying to get closer. And you certainly don't attempt a Hail Mary on 2nd down.

Date: October 02, 2012 10:41AM

Come on chren a 47 yarder is very makeble for him...He is done it before his had his 50 plus yard field goals as well.

Its not like it was a 65 yard field goal man.

I know we should had ran the ball i agree but still.....again a 47 yard field goal was very doable for him.

He is just struggling right now.

Date: October 02, 2012 10:59AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Come on chren a 47 yarder is very makeble for
> him...He is done it before his had his 50 plus
> yard field goals as well.

Which is WHAT PHILBIN THOUGHT! Which was WHY Philbin gambled, but the point is you don't GAMBLE with the winning field goal. If you will WIN with only a field goal, WHY DIMINISH THE ODDS OF MAKING THAT FIELD GOAL BY WASTING A DOWN TRYING TO GET A TOUCHDOWN FROM 35 YARDS OUT???

Really, Sam. I want someone to explain that to me. If we had been FORCED into a situation where, say for example, we started out on the 45 yard line of the Jets in overtime and we ran the ball three times and THEN we ended up with the 47 yarder and Carpenter blew it, I would not have said anything but that he blew it.

But when you don't do everything you can to make it a 39 yarder (and remember the ball hooked only about 3 yards before the goal posts), how can you NOT blame only the coaching?

Really. Tell me. I really want to know why this isn't a Mr. Spock from Star Trek logical point.

If you want to cut the coaching some slack, you can blame Carpenter and let's say Carpenter WAS TO BLAME for the missed FG against Arizona, but don't you at least equally blame the coaches for RELYING on that kick in overtime.

You don't gamble with the won and lost column.

>
> Its not like it was a 65 yard field goal man.
>
> I know we should had ran the ball i agree but
> still.....again a 47 yard field goal was very
> doable for him.
>
> He is just struggling right now.

Date: October 02, 2012 11:04AM

Chren explain this to me....

How about if we run it three times.....and lose 7 yards.....Would had been a 54 yard field goal..............We werent able to run all day but a couple of times.

Then you will be saying they should just had kicked the fieldgoal....

People are always going to complaint..

How about if tannehill throws a 15 yard pass..it would had been a 32 yard try...How about if tannehill connects for a td..>Game over.

Its just part of the game chren.

The point is carpenter used to make that 40 yard plus field goals last year.

Again he is just struggling right now.

Date: October 02, 2012 11:12AM

No, SamSam. If he had run the ball, let's make it realistic because had the loss yardage been on the first play, oh course, I would say pass the ball in that case......let's say if we had run on the first down and gained 2 yards, run on the second down and gained 1 yard, then run on the third down and the runner is trapped behind the line of scrimmage and scrambles back in order to escape and ends up back on the 41 yard line, then I wouldn't complain.

You think I'm just complaining because of the result.

That's not true.

I'm complaining because Philbin is violating every rule of OVERTIME FOOTBALL WHICH MEANS SUDDEN DEATH WHICH MEANS YOU WIN ON THE FIRST SCORE.

You don't realize that, SamSam. This wasn't just during the course of the game when you are trying to build as big a lead as possible and you are gambling away a field goal for the chance to build a bigger lead.

This is SUDDEN DEATH.

DISCUSS SUDDEN DEATH IN YOUR REPLY TO ME.

Date: October 02, 2012 11:27AM

Chren my whole point of this is they have carpenter back there to make those 47 yard field goals and he missed it. Thats all.

I know the odds would had been better if we ran it and gained 5 or 6 more yards.

But the point again is he missed it and choked.

BTW im happy the way this organization is headed. I think with a few more tweaks on defense DBs....And a couple of more receivers on offense that can hold on to the ball we could make the playoffs next year.

Like i said we are not that far away.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 02, 2012 12:18PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yet they beat us.
>
>
> Because of carpenter...>we dominated the jets....

I will NEVER blame one player or one play for losing a game. Every game has ifs, ands, or buts in them. Take a look at any game and you will see where if so and so had done this or that, or if the defense had done this, or the OLine had done that, it would have been a different result.

Sure, Carpenter missing hurt the team, but our guys have not yet learned how to close out games, and I am talking about both the offense and defense.

Date: October 02, 2012 12:30PM

That's true, Cap. I agree 100%. Rarely do you blame players because every time you do, someone can say, "Yeah, but if so and so had done so and so on an earlier play then....."

I'm not sure that the same can be said for coaching decisions.

Every throw is a gamble. To gamble away additional yardage making easier an sudden death field goal on a long bomb when a win is a win is a win is a win, whether by touchdown or field goal, is not the same thing.

To gamble on a passing play and your quarterbacks gets sacked and fumbles when you SHOULD BE TRYING TO RUN DOWN THE CLOCK with 2:55 seconds left in the game sitting on a 7 point lead when even an incomplete pass stops the clock and preserves time for your opponent's comebacks......

that's just indefensible.

It's gambling with the won-lost column.

All football games and every play in them is a gamble to a certain extent.

But rarely do coaches gamble with the won and loss column.

They don't take a sure win and move it into the "questionable" column.

Tell me the next time another team does us that favor.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 03, 2012 10:27AM

My only problem with that is if Miami didn't gain another yard, and they punted, worst scenario would have the Cards starting at their own 20. They would have had about 2 minutes or so left in the game to drive down the field.

Miami has a decent defense, but how much confidence would we have that our guys could have stopped them?

Right now, I don't have much confidence in either side of the ball to close out the game. Our D should be much better than it is as the majority of the players from last year's squad returned.

Truthfully, tho, the coaches are in a "damned if you do" and "damned if you don't" situation. People would have been yelling "why run it when you know the opposing D is expecting it" and "you should have passed it to win the game instead of being so conservative."

I would have continued to run it, but the coaches thought otherwise.

Date: October 03, 2012 10:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.