HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Freeze
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Freeze
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:57AM

Philbin's timeout to "freeze" the Jets' kicker blew up in his face. Philbin isn't the first, however and won't be the last.

But, NFL kickers have been asked if the freeze bothers them, and they have all said no. So, what is the point in calling it? Maybe, just maybe, a "rookie" kicker could get flustered because he has to wait and think about the kick, and maybe the nerves will get to him, but the veterans won't let it bother them.

I also realize, and some of you may point out, that naturally the kickers will say it doesn't bother them just to get the opposing coaches not to call it, but I don't believe that.

I think the coaches should knock it off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freeze
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 25, 2012 10:01AM

Statistics show a better success rate for kickers after being iced (60+% success rate) so why even do it?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 25, 2012 10:10AM

Right eesti and Cap. When it first came into being, it was unexpected and was likely to interfere with the kicker's psyche and concentration. But now, it's done so frequently now that it is expected.

So a kicker is probably told by his coaches that they're gonna call time out so expect it.

Now, probably NOT calling timeout when the kicker is expecting it will probably be more disruptive to his thought processess because while he is running toward the ball to kick it, he may be relying on that time out and may hold up at the last second wondering where is the timeout and that hold up may be enough to make him miss it.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 11:54AM

I dont think the icing was the mistake, i think failing to communicate with your defense the play was the mistake.. Starks obviously had a strong move, that he wasnt going to get away with twice... SO that was stupid IMO.... The jets coach was laughing when he realized that we blocked it and Philbin called the time out which negated it... That sucks.. Communication is important, and to say Philbin shouldnt communicate with our defense becasue the icing play will not work as well, doesnt make any sense either... If you call the play, let the whole team on the field know...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 25, 2012 12:02PM

Dumb, dumb, double dumb ever!

Hate the call, hate the rule to allow it!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 12:28PM

you can't critize this. it's not like when the dallas coach called a TO right before his OWN kicker was set to kick, and then he missed the next kick after making the first. If the D doesn't block the kick, no one says anything. If the jets K makes the first kick and misses the second, everyone says great call. And who is to say the kick would've been blocked without the TO? some players may have stopped blocking bc they heard the whistle.

this is just playing the result. you may say icing is dumb as a general matter and that's fine, but this decision was not any more dumb just bc the D ended up getting a block this time

Date: September 25, 2012 12:32PM

Yeah, berk, I'm coming within your exception. I say that nowadays it is dumb as a general matter. Don't think it works like it did in the old days anymore.

Date: September 25, 2012 01:24PM

dumb was not communicating, rewatch the play, nobody stopped playing, Starks had a beast of a move... You block one in a hundred of those kicks, it just sucks the way it went down, like we were destined to lose... Coaching, QB play, and Carpenter, all had chances to win, and either they got in their own way or just didnt get it done... sucks, i despise losing to the jets...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: September 26, 2012 08:52AM

It's a hit or miss proposition. The fact is...it worked for the jets but we're talking about a 47 yard field goal and a kicker that already missed one from around that same distance.

On the other hand, why make your d-line have to rush twice. If you're going to freeze the kicker, make damn sure you get the call in before you use your only block of the year.

Date: September 26, 2012 09:00AM

GBO, I thought the Jets field goal was from 30 yards?

Date: September 26, 2012 11:38AM

Yeah Chyren I believe you are right, the 2 Carpenter missed were 47 & 48... The one that Jets made in OT was a much shorter kick..GBO might have been making two points at once and it didnt come across as he meant...

Nietzsche

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: September 28, 2012 08:05AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 28, 2012 08:28AM

Never, never, ever ... do I agree with making that call.

First of all a freeze to me is doing it before the play not negating a play that may hurt your defense.

Its done and history ... so bye, and let's hope we dont see it again.

Date: September 28, 2012 08:31AM

It is no question that the Seattle touchdown pass to Golden Tate brought back the regular refs.

I predict that Miami's timeout called nullifying our own blocked kick will, similarly, result in the death of the "freeze" timeout on kicks.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 28, 2012 09:47AM

I don't blame Philbin for losing the game although I wish he would never ice the kicker again.

I think most of the fault belongs to Carpenter. 2 missed FG's are inexcusable. This isn't the first time he choked at the end of the game.

RT carrys some blame as well (pick 6)...as does the defense for giving up big plays at the end of the game...AGAIN

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 28, 2012 09:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.