HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannehill- and the Refs- are driving me crazy
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tannehill- and the Refs- are driving me crazy
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 12:34PM

Tannehill isn't helping us win. When we are losing the field position battle, in 4 possessions he can't get us out of a hole- eventually, if you keep putting pressure on your defense, the Jets are going to score when you keep giving them a short field. They get paid, too. Then, he has a guy open in the endzone on back-to-back plays, but he throws both passes 5 yards out of bounds-rookie mistakes both, but what I see from him convinces me he should have watched the early-season games from the sideline. These middle game doldrums our offense is getting into every game is a habit I hope Tannehill can break, and soon. We can't afford to have our offense be unproductive for an extended period and put pressure on our defense.

On another note, these refs are driving me crazy-they can't control the game, they call phantom infractions, they miss call right in front of their faces, and apparently there isn't a kick that doesn't deserve a penalty. I hope they learn soon that the way to control a game isn't with blizzard of flags.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tannehill- and the Refs- are driving me crazy
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 12:36PM

These refs get worse every week. Tannehill needs to learn from his mistakes and he is definitely learning the hard way. However, if we had at least one legitimate weapon at WR then the learning curve dramatically decreases and margin for error is greater. Basically, we need help at WR in the draft next year.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 23, 2012 12:41PM

Each referee crew has a particular penalty and they call it over and over and over and over again. Today it was the "block in the back" on the kickoffs.

Our stupid coaching staff did not learn as the Jets did. The Jets stop returning kickoffs but we kept doing it and kept ending up behind the 10 yard line to start every drive.

In other games I have seen other ref crews call illegal contact and call it about 15 times a game.

These amateur refs are sticking with what they know.

As a whole, they were criticized by the press this week for not calling enough interference plays so this weekend they are calling interference all over the place, even when it does not exist.

I knew that was coming.

NFL dot com PUBLICLY advised all defensive backs that they should go and interfere since it's not going to be called.

Obviously the replacement refs heard that too and started calling it,......over calling it...today.

Date: September 23, 2012 12:49PM

I saw a stat today, that there have been 15 more interference calls this season than last season through week 2. So I'm not sure what your referring to Chyren. They showed that stat during the broadcast today as well. It looks like the replacement officials are really struggling with judgement call penalties like PI and so they overcall them.

Date: September 23, 2012 12:56PM

I saw it on the NFL network and they were pointing out that the secondaries were getting away with murder as far as interference was concerned.

I didn't challenge it in my mind because the broadcasts I saw had the announcers complaining that the refs were not calling interference enough.

Your statistics don't contradict that logically.

Here's why.

There may be indeed have been MORE interference called for the first two sets of games this year than before.

That still doesn't disprove my point.

Why not????????

Because maybe the corners and safeties figured that they could get away with more on amateur refs.

So if the number of interference attempts go up by 50%, then it could be the case that more are being called BUTTTT.............

even so, less of them are being called that should.

Let's say that in 2011 there were in actuality 200 interference plays by dbacks and 190 were called.

Let's then say that the dbacks THIS YEAR figure they can get away with more so they commit 325 interference plays and the replacement refs call 200 interference penalties.

Wouldn't the broadcasters STILL have reason to complain?

After all, they missed 125 interference penalties whereas the old refs only missed 10 out of 200.

Date: September 23, 2012 01:07PM

I get your point Chyren. However, I think it depends on the play. In some instances the DBs are getting away with murder and in other instances they are flagged when they didn't touch the WR. It's the inconsistency that is most troubling. I don't find it surprising that DBs would test the replacement officials to see what they can get away with. Also not surprising, if a replacement official throws a phantom flag just to send a message.

Date: September 24, 2012 06:06PM

I'm watching MNF. The refs are OVER CALLING interference.

Date: September 24, 2012 06:51PM

Did you guys see that hail mary? Obvious offensive PI, then the ball was intercepted, then the idiot officials called a TD. Unbelievable.

Date: September 24, 2012 09:13PM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 25, 2012 04:20AM

I can't buy into all the ref hype. Not after the regular refs blatantly stole the Pittsburgh game from us last year. I think the media and fan furor is being ginned up to some extent. No doubt the players are taking advantage of it though. That was a close call BOTH had the ball in the air. I guess the replacements just don't know they are 'supposed' to give the call to the Packers spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 25, 2012 04:55AM

KB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess the replacements just don't know
> they are 'supposed' to give the call to the
> Packers spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

haha exactly, just as they didn't know to give the Baltimore FG call to the Patsies.

And speaking of the 1950s-established rules as Bob did above, my dad always told me that when a field goal is kicked directly above the top of one of the posts, it's "good". that seems to be what happened against the Patsies. It dates back to when the posts were made of wood and the uprights were much shorter. You should hear all the Patsie fans still whining about it. I love it.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:38AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tannehill isn't helping us win. When we are losing
> the field position battle, in 4 possessions he
> can't get us out of a hole- eventually, if you
> keep putting pressure on your defense, the Jets
> are going to score when you keep giving them a
> short field. They get paid, too. Then, he has a
> guy open in the endzone on back-to-back plays, but
> he throws both passes 5 yards out of bounds-rookie
> mistakes both, but what I see from him convinces
> me he should have watched the early-season games
> from the sideline. These middle game doldrums our
> offense is getting into every game is a habit I
> hope Tannehill can break, and soon. We can't
> afford to have our offense be unproductive for an
> extended period and put pressure on our defense.
>
> On another note, these refs are driving me
> crazy-they can't control the game, they call
> phantom infractions, they miss call right in front
> of their faces, and apparently there isn't a kick
> that doesn't deserve a penalty. I hope they learn
> soon that the way to control a game isn't with
> blizzard of flags.

Tanney is a rookie; why can't we all just get that in our heads? He also has no one on the outside to throw it to. Hartline is a good receiver, but not a #1 guy; Bess is terrific inside, but he is not going to scare anyone. There is no one else, guys. Give him a top-notch receiver, and maybe that could make a difference.

The refs are under a lot of pressure. Sure, they have made some bad calls/non-calls, but so do the regular refs. Granted, just like a rookie QB, the NFL is too fast for any newcomer, and that is including the refs. If they stay on the field all year, they will improve, as the game will slow down for them.

I'm not going to blame the refs for anything out there that leads to a team's win or loss, including last night's GB-Seat game.

It's easy to slam the replacement officials, but the coaches and players need to look in the mirror to see where the real problems are.

Date: September 25, 2012 03:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.