HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          How to solve the tipped balls?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
How to solve the tipped balls?
Posted by: Ihatebrady ()
Date: September 09, 2012 09:25AM

So three possessions in a row, tipped balls for int for Miami offense. Mike Sherman says its the o line but some of you think it's RT.

How does Miami solve this glaring deficiency?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to solve the tipped balls?
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 09, 2012 09:27AM

Where are the roll outs and throwing on the run? That's supposed to be his specialty.

Date: September 09, 2012 09:28AM

OUCH.

Posted by: Ihatebrady ()
Date: September 09, 2012 09:31AM

Rolling out definitely a good suggestion. Hasn't tried one the whole game.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 09, 2012 09:41AM

That's him. Nothing can be done. It's like Fran Tarkenton has gotten sack for 20 yard losses four times in a row and you say, "Well it's because he scrambles too much. Just make sure he doesn't scramble anymore.

Hey! Fran Tarkenton Scrambles that's what he does. Ryan Tannehill makes quick passes intended to go out 10-15 yards early in the play. Like they said, they figured it out from Hard Knocks.

Cut that out and you don't have Ryan anymore. You might as well bench him and put in Matt Moore. But you can't do that because this offense is designed for RT.

I'm not saying bench him. I'm saying that the problem is not solvable. Maybe the Oline man playing in front of that guy needs to get in his grill, even at the point of elbowing him in his face. Have him thinking about more than putting his mitts up.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: September 09, 2012 09:45AM

How to solve it? Applied a shock to RT's nads every time he throws a pass batted at the LOS. That will stop it soon enough.

This is all in the QB's head. RT is getting good protection, and he stands at 6'4". He just hasn't yet figure out that NFL D-Linemen are way better at batting down passes than the collegiate linemen.

And I thought he was smart.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: September 09, 2012 10:05AM

The blocking scheme isn't helping either.
Backing into the Q and letting the defender jump and deflect passes.
They need to take only one step back, and stay engaged with the block to nullify the jumping.
More shotgun would also help.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 09, 2012 10:09AM

Tannehill has to pay attention to his passing lanes, and step up into the pocket so the defensive line has less time to react to his throws Also he cant stare down his read..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: September 09, 2012 10:12AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tannehill has to pay attention to his passing
> lanes, and step up into the pocket so the
> defensive line has less time to react to his
> throws Also he cant stare down his read..

Exactly. This is all on RT. Its not the WRs. He has hit the ground maybe once, so it isn't the OL.

The RT apologist posse can make all the excuses they want, but so far RT is losing this game for the Phins. And for the upside? So far the upside has been 3 points.

Meanwhile, RGIII is tearing it up.

Date: September 09, 2012 10:54AM

Tannehill has a tell - he pats the ball.

He needs to get rid of this.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 09, 2012 02:32PM

"How to solve it? Applied a shock to RT's nads every time he throws a pass batted at the LOS. That will stop it soon enough." I hope that this is a feeble attempt at humor.

Rick

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 09, 2012 02:40PM

1. The O-line must stay engaged with the defenders and not allow them to gain space.

2. The O-Line players must push when the defenders starts to raise thier arms.

These two things will stop the batted balls.

If you are engaged and being pushed backwards, even a little bit, you can't jump. Our O-Line has got to play with more aggression.

This will get fixed by the coaches...

Date: September 09, 2012 02:42PM

True - but he also stares down his receiver, and he doesn't move to get a clear lane to his receivers. I'm kind of surprised that no QB coach has corrected his "pat the ball" habit.

Rick

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: September 09, 2012 02:50PM

Those passes tipped today were basically very quick passes for very short routes.

The quick fix is the throw the ball deeper. Establish some deeper outs in order to open up the underneath stuff.

Long term fix is that Tannehill needs to develop some deception in his game. Misdirection, fake pumps, look offs...move around to create passing lanes.

The other part is the responsibility of the offensive lineman. When the D-lineman exposes himself like that...the o-lineman has to cause him some pain. The o-lineman has to engage and be more aggressive at the snap.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 09, 2012 05:27PM

Matt Barkley

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:55AM

Draft Analysis:
Mayock's take: "I have him rated as the 19th best player in the draft, which tells you I don't think he's ready to be a heavy contributor this year. I watched every throw he made on tape this year. All the out-breaking routes are phenomenal. Where he gets in trouble are the in-breaking routes where he stares the receiver down, pats the ball and throws interceptions."

Evidently this is not a new trait just observed by dolphanking. Seems like that's something the staff would need to work on and use effectively:

- Maybe they can teach him to pat the ball and fake, thus opening up receivers who bite on it?

Date: September 14, 2012 10:19AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 14, 2012 10:25AM

I watched the game again ON DEMAND as well and they only show all the good parts.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 14, 2012 11:21AM

I haven't seen enough of the pat thing to make a call, but I have observed him staring at his intended receiver.

I think that gives a talented defense and in, but am confident he will grow out of this and perhaps use it to his advantage once he lears to look people off, thus those locking in on his stare gets fooled.

We'll see how he sdoes this week with a lesser defense and a week to work it out.

***** This team needs a win *****

If for no other reason to see how DolfanKing responds to a positive performance. Unfortunately he hasn't had much opportunity to wear that hat yet. smiling smiley

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 14, 2012 01:42PM

I don't see the patting of the ball.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: September 15, 2012 05:01PM

Barkley had two passes batted down in the first half of tonights game.
They could have very easily led to INT's to add to his other picks.

He looks rattled against a very good defense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.