HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jeff Ireland
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jeff Ireland
Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: September 07, 2012 10:54AM

Jeff,

Just because your daddy was a coach and you hung out with the 85 bears does not make you a genius. You have been told what to do your whole life; as a result, you do what you think is right but have no actual mental capacity to make any such decision. You're second generation NFL scum. You think your some kind of goody goody two shoes, and it shows in your lack of judgement when making personnel decisions. I have always questioned you as a GM. Hard knocks this year just confirmed all my suspicions.

CDB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jeff Ireland
Posted by: Dolfan1976 ()
Date: September 07, 2012 11:02AM

Where did this topic come from out of the blue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 05:56PM by Dolfan1976.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 07, 2012 11:23AM

Me 2. I was never a fan of "goody goody two shoes" and
that whole hiphop thang with Clucky Charms and
his sidekick Frosted Flake!

Other than that 2nd GEN is not as cool as X. But why?

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 07, 2012 11:43AM

This is the exact type of ignorant fan that gives all Miami fans a bad name. At least back up your insults with something pretending to be factual.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 07, 2012 11:49AM

ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeff,
>
> Just because your daddy was a coach and you hung
> out with the 85 bears does not make you a genius.
> You have been told what to do your whole life; as
> a result, you do what you think is right but have
> no actual mental capacity to make any such
> decision. You're second generation NFL scum. You
> think your some kind of goody goody two shoes, and
> it shows in your lack of judgement when making
> personnel decisions. I have always questioned you
> as a GM. Hard knocks this year just confirmed all
> my suspicions.
>
> CDB

Didn't realize he hung out with the '85 Bears. Hmmmm. THAT explains a lot. No wonder he hates us. THe Orange Bowl December 2, 1985. Ahhhh what a night smileys with beer

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 07, 2012 11:59AM

Welcome back, ChambersDeepBall and right on on our post.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 07, 2012 01:46PM

I didn't like the guy at first, but I am warming-up to him. In my opinion, the last 3 drafts were better than average. In addition, I liked the idea of getting rid of Marshall and Johnson. I am also pleased by some of players he essentially passed on like Flynn. He seems to be making a youth movement and keeping only high character guys. That builds winning teams. His job, however, rides on the success or failure of Tannehill. Since I think a lot of Ryan, I think Ireland is in good shape.

Date: September 07, 2012 02:13PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> This is the exact type of ignorant fan that gives
> all Miami fans a bad name. At least back up your
> insults with something pretending to be factual.

1423, are you Ireland's nephew?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 07, 2012 04:31PM

ireland is awful. to me the most telling part of hard knocks was the difference between philbin and ireland. all of "irelands" boys are players with measurable but can't play a lick (i.e., gates). ireland was talking up how fast he runs but philben was telling him, so what, the guy can't play at all

and irelands last 3 drafts we crappy. maybe RT turns out to be something but almost everything else is useless. even if pouncy is a good player he's sure not a difference maker, and what else did we end up with the last 3 years?

Date: September 08, 2012 05:20AM

It just seems to me the drafts haven't been "loaded with talent" in general. Sure there have been some really good players, but no absolute game changers like Lawrence Julius Taylor or Garo Yepremian (that bitch could play)!

Know what I mean? Ireland has made mostly "good-OK" pics but we can all debate if he's made any "great" pics. And yes, he's made some "bad-horrible" pics. But at least he doesn't pick his boogers on national TV like Bob Kraft!

Impact players by Ireland:

Cam Wake
Reggie Bush

Neither one of these guys drafted by Ireland. And Wake was out of the league. So its got to be very difficult to project "Great Players" because there hasn't been a huge crop of them in the league lately.

I mean look at the Cheats. They had multiple premium picks in EVERT DRAFT and blew most of them. The only way Bollygoat could make a decent pick was when he had big-time inside info either with Meyer or Satan.

But yes. We have to do better and hit a few great picks. Let's hope Thill is the 1st in a string of dynamic choices!

BNF. But never bewildered.

Date: September 08, 2012 05:37AM

I think/hope Ireland is growing out his "protractor only" mode (i.e., athletic measurables) and starting to focus on PLAYERS.

He'll never have the eye for PLAYERS the way JJ did. But the dude is still ramping-up and with a few swindles and great picks we could reach 500.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 08, 2012 05:52AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 08, 2012 06:01AM

The thing about Ireland is, if he guessed right about Tanny, all of this other non sense is forgotten and the Dolphins are back on their way to prominence, if he guessed wrong he's down the road in a year or two. It's that simple really.

Date: September 08, 2012 06:10AM

Date: September 08, 2012 06:14AM

In 5 years of drafting, Ireland has one probowler, and he was the number 1 pick in the entire draft.. That isnt very good any way you slice it, and if Tannehill turns out to be a true franchsie QB, based on past performance, it doesnt bode well for Tannehill with Ireland trying to find him probowl talent to surround him with on the team... in 5 years one guy, the number 1 over all draft picks... ouch

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 08, 2012 07:05AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> In 2010 we had the number 12 pick, we traded back
> to 28 and drafted Jared Odrick, who I like but we
> passed on. Jason Piere Paul #15, Earl Thomas #14,
> Maurkice Pouncey #18, Jermaine Gresham #21, Devin
> Mccourty #27. all of which drafted after we
> traded back, and all of them probowlers. That is
> alot of young probowl Talent to have passed up for
> Odrick. Not to mention we took Koa Misi over
> probowler Rob Gronkowski in the second. and John
> Jerry over probowler Jimmy Graham in the third.
>
> That is just in the 2010 draft alone, I dont buy
> that the drafts have lacked talent...alot of
> chances to draft a probowler in the those first 3
> rds, and we didnt...

egggsactly

Date: September 08, 2012 08:45AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> The thing about Ireland is, if he guessed right
> about Tanny, all of this other non sense is
> forgotten and the Dolphins are back on their way
> to prominence, if he guessed wrong he's down the
> road in a year or two. It's that simple really.

Even taking a different road than Crowder above, I don't agree with you dolpaholic.

Even if Tanny turns out to be great, then you just can't say that makes up for all the bad mistakes.

If you have a manager, grocery store or baseball team, that makes a million mistakes but then on the one "iffy" proposition, one that could blow up or one that could go great, he succeeds, I don't believe that makes up for all the screw-ups.

If Tanny turns out to be bust, that won't be the reason I'll damn Ireland to hell. It will be because OF ALL HIS OTHER MOVES. Tannehill I could excuse him for because of Sherman, our arguable need for a QB, the fact that all the other experts had Tannehill as the next best behind Luck and RGIII.

All those things mean that the pick of RT was a reasonable pick at the time REGARDLESS of how it turns out.

Now, had he picked Russell Wilson with the number 8 pick and Russell Wilson had gone on to outplay Luck, RGIII, Tannehill and Weeden, then you might make an argument about his ability to see in the future.

But the fact that the guy makes a 50-50 decision and it turns out to be good, is no reason to throw a bouquet of roses at him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 09:13AM by ChyrenB.

Date: September 08, 2012 09:10AM

While Tannehill has looked the part, he did rate 31 out of 32 as far as having the worst QB rating in the preseason of starting Qb's.... so who knows.....I doubt we really know anytime soon... unless my prayers are answered.....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: September 08, 2012 09:16AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> In 2010 we had the number 12 pick, we traded back
> to 28 and drafted Jared Odrick, who I like but we
> passed on. Jason Piere Paul #15, Earl Thomas #14,
> Maurkice Pouncey #18, Jermaine Gresham #21, Devin
> Mccourty #27. all of which drafted after we
> traded back, and all of them probowlers. That is
> alot of young probowl Talent to have passed up for
> Odrick. Not to mention we took Koa Misi over
> probowler Rob Gronkowski in the second. and John
> Jerry over probowler Jimmy Graham in the third.
>
> That is just in the 2010 draft alone, I dont buy
> that the drafts have lacked talent...alot of
> chances to draft a probowler in the those first 3
> rds, and we didnt...

Hard to argue against JP Paul and Gronk / Graham.

Just saying:

Odrick is still ramping-up and so is Jerry. So its a bit too soon to make an absolute definitive assessment IMO. But yea, in retrospect, there where better moves available.

Date: September 08, 2012 09:19AM

And will SOMEONE explain to me Nee Nee Na Na Na Na Nu Nu???????

Date: September 08, 2012 09:38AM

I agree BNF- but the guys mentioned were probowlers within year 1 or 2, immediate contributors at a probowl level.
On the contrary the last probowler we drafted besides Jake Long, was the one present Randy Mueller gave us in the 4th rd. Paul SOliai. But he was bust city for almost 4 years.... So some players take longer and you can understand slower progression but it is easier to accept it with a 4th rder.

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 08, 2012 10:47AM

First of all, you'll drive yourself crazy doing the "we passed on this guy" game, EVERY GM makes mistakes EVERY year, no way around that.

Secondly, my statement about "IF" Tannehill pans out Ireland's troubles go away, is based on him adding more pieces to the puzzle, which he is perfectly capable of. I'm not giving him a pass on past failures, but i'm also not blaming him 100% either. Some of the people he missed on were very talented and highly sought after, they just didn't pan out for whatever reason (past coaching staff maybe?) and some, the jury's still out on. Either way, it's indisputable that he has to improve on this aspect of his job to turn this franchise around.

Date: September 08, 2012 10:59AM

The top teams pick probowlers, Ireland hasnt been able to pick any, that is a concern and problem. The guy has had over 40 picks to do so. Most high priced free agents have underperformed,Gibril WIlson, Grove, Dansby, Marshall. We traded away our best cb for a 2nd rd pick at 25 years old when he cost a 1st. I like Long, Odrick, Pouncey, and Vontae. But none have really outperformed their draft position. I think Ireland is decent but we are getting out done by alot of other GM's, especially in our own division. I think until you have a decent replacement, you shouldnt just make the move, that is foolish and what Ireland does.hahaha... You need to have a plan and a replacement that will compete with the other GM's that have picked better then us in the draft and FA.

Nietzsche

Date: September 08, 2012 11:08AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I agree BNF- but the guys mentioned were
> probowlers within year 1 or 2, immediate
> contributors at a probowl level.
> On the contrary the last probowler we drafted
> besides Jake Long, was the one present Randy
> Mueller gave us in the 4th rd. Paul SOliai. But he
> was bust city for almost 4 years.... So some
> players take longer and you can understand slower
> progression but it is easier to accept it with a
> 4th rder.

I hear ya. But that does not mean Ireland "SUCKS" as some seem to hammer on. IMO he's done an overall solid albeit not a great job. But there's a ton of youth on the roster and there's some legit possibilities of talent developing.

One other point, it certainly helps a player to shine early when he's put into a great situation -- with a lot of surrounding talent and a really good coaching staff. You could certainly argue a number of our picks have not been fully developed and/or optimized and in another year or two we COULD BE singing a different tune -- IF Philbin & Co. prove to be excellent coaches and talent developers.

Last, schemes and game plans can make a difference in getting the best out of the available talent. So it's not just the GM that makes things run, it's a collaborative -- which is what I keep coming back to.

Ireland & Philbin are not the same formula as Ireland and Baby T.

It will take a bit of time to clarify...

BNF.

Date: September 08, 2012 11:20AM

You cant blame everything on baby T, Ireland had one of the best d cordinators and player development guy in the business in Mike Nolan... And he picked alot of defensive players... Brian Daboll created a system that gave reggie bush his best year in his career.. Ireland wasnt deprived of guys that could coach talent...

Nietzsche

Date: September 08, 2012 11:22AM

Ireland gave Sparano Chad Henne, Pat White, Tyle THigpen, Matt Moore and Pennington. With the talent like Pennington he was able to win the afc east and 11 games. With the others he wasnt, is that on Baby T?

Nietzsche

Date: September 08, 2012 11:51AM

Baby T was WAY OVER HIS HEAD as a HC.

I mean...come one...we ALL KNOW he's definitely NOT HC material... You'll discredit yourself completely if you insist otherwise.

Now just admit the simple FACT there's a collaorative relationship between the HC (and the system HE implements along with the Specs for players) and the GMs job to get players who FIT THE SPEC the HC needs for his system. It's that simple.

If the system "sucks" then the players will suck as well.

Footie Ball is still the ultimate team game -- tho of course lacking a franchise coitusback its all meaningless...

cool smiley

Date: September 08, 2012 12:02PM

I mean come on.....To not realize Ireland is over his head discredits yourself completely if you insist otherwise....If the GM passes on talent and doesnt provide the coach with talent while other teams in his division does, it doesnt bode well for the coach competing in that division. If the talent sucks the system doesnt matter.. Football is the ultimate team game, with out better talent then the other team it is very difficult to win..
smoking smiley

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 12:08PM by Crowder52.

Date: September 08, 2012 12:14PM

Date: September 08, 2012 12:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.