HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marcus Thigpen
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Marcus Thigpen
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 01, 2012 02:25AM

Although Omar Kelly often said Thigpen flashed in camp, I haven't been all that impressed with his play in the games. So why keep him? He is versatile. He is labeled a runningback, but he also lines up as a receiver and he plays on special teams with his role as a return man being particularly important.

Keeping six runningbacks seems excessive, but when you consider that Slaton is potential trade bait or could be cut as we turnover the roster, it begins to make sense. As does, keeping 5 receivers. With Thigpen, the truth of the matter, and nobody seems to be pointing this out, is that Thigpen is the sixth receiver on the team. Of course, after noon today we could see another picked up off the waiver wire, but for now, Thigpen fills that role in a pinch.

While Thigpen wasn't overly impressive returning kicks so far with the Dolphins, he was very impressive in CFL. He clearly has shown the Dolphins enough because he returned the vast majority of kicks in the preseason.

Versatile players like Thigpen are valuable commodities. They allow for roster flexibility. By serving multiple roles, Thigpen could turn out to be one of our most important players and a fan favorite.

Editors note: With all that having been written, watch him get cut later today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marcus Thigpen
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 01, 2012 03:03AM

Thigpen averaged 24 yards per kick return this preseason. With the new kickoff rules, that is a solid average. Not spectacular, but solid.

Thigpen began his career at Indiana as a WR. Then he moved to RB. When he went to the CFL, he became a WR again. And of course, he excelled on returns in the CFL.

In the Dallas game, Thigpen worked as the primary slot WR while Bess sat out. It's pretty telling that they think enough of his WR skills to use him in that role.

One of the RBs is going to be gone by Monday. Slaton is more established, while Thigpen is more versatile. We'll see what happens.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: September 01, 2012 04:39AM

I remember the Miami press reporting that Thiggy has primarily worked in practice as a slot receiver throughout training camp.

Ideally, he is a special teams starter, backup slot reciever, and 4th RB. He has good versatility which should allow him to hold on to a roster spot.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 01, 2012 04:49AM

seems like a waste of a roster spot. maybe he can do many things, but none well apparently. if we keep slaton we can have him return kicks, or lamar miller, and I didn't see thigpen make any plays in the running or passing games. we've got a glut of RBs and no DBs. Somethings gonna change soon.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 01, 2012 05:29AM

Versatility is helping him, but will a FA WR or RB like DJ Ware replace him?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 01, 2012 08:33AM

It may be just my imagination, berk, but Thigpen seemed to be doing better in returning than what we did last year. This was just preseason though.

But I tend to trust performances and tend to disregard putting weight on the level of competition.

But then again I would have benched Igcognito and Jerry and would have held on to both rookie guards.

Date: September 01, 2012 09:41AM

i'd like to see lamar miller returning kicks

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 01, 2012 09:42AM

Have they tried him out returning kicks?

Date: September 01, 2012 09:53AM

Date: September 01, 2012 10:21AM

Slaton's been released, so Thigpen looks lke he's staying for the moment.

Date: September 01, 2012 10:26AM

rather have slaton than thigpen

Date: September 02, 2012 04:10AM

Date: September 02, 2012 04:59AM

thanks for the videos. now lets see him take one out past the 25 yard line for us!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 02, 2012 08:12AM

Slaton hasn't even been picked up yet and there are several teams that have injured RB's and need one...so how good is he?

He also returned kicks for Houston in 2010 and had a 19.7 average

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.