HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland and the Future of the Franchise
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ireland and the Future of the Franchise
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: May 04, 2012 09:32AM

I was going to post this in another thread and then I realized it was topic onto itself. I started this as an “answer” regarding certain “uncomplimentary opinions” of Ireland and his overall job performance. And I have also been critical of Ireland in the past, and have had reservations about his future. But a few folks around here seem stuck in a negative position about Ireland regardless of the factual blow-back. That IMO is an agenda as opposed to an open discussion.

I think it’s fair to say Ireland is doing what he feels is best for the success of the team, and there are aspects of what he’s accomplished that do NOT support an across the board condemnation of his job performance. Specifically, Ireland played the situation/market correctly with Soliai and wound up resigning him at a reasonable number. Prior to that he franchised the dude because that was expedient at the time, and the entire longer-term salary structure in the league was pending the new CBA. So in hindsight, it appears Ireland made some good moves in the case of Soliai.

As far as Long, we’re dealing with a player whose current salary structure is rooted in him being the #1 pick under the old CBA. His future “value” is relative to the approximate cost of his replacement. This is no different for an assembly line worker or an engineer. There’s no need to pay someone significantly more than the current market for replacement dictates. Granted, if you’re exceptional at your job you get a premium, but the reference number relates to the “typical cost of replacement.” What this means in Long’s situation is simple; his future cost projects to be LESS if we resign him as a FA as opposed to redoing his deal with the current structure as the reference point. I believe that’s the angle Ireland perceives, and it turned out to be correct in the case of Soliai. Of course, if Long understands this, and is willing to “do the right thing” for the team, we could see a new contract inked. But that won’t happen unless there’s a recognition of the basic facts in Long’s camp.

Now as far as Dansby, and the prior “upper echelon” FA market in general, those guys are significantly overpaid relative to the new CBA, and the dramatically lower cost offered by replacing VETS with draft picks. This basic “fact” will permeate the league like wild fire because the owners are money guys first and foremost, and as soon as they realize the leverage point (which they already do), they will use it to their advantage in an aggressive manner. Nothing new about that story…

So, think out of the box for a minute and realize the following; the cost of replacement is GOING DOWN in the league for the first time in many years. What does that tell you about how Ireland will position his chips for the future? Fact is, we have a number of players who will fall into a “transitional phase” of compensation adjustment based on the new CBA, and FA contracts will definitely come down. That deflationary trajectory means Ireland won’t ink new contracts that aren’t marked to the market in current CBA terms. And players like Wake, who happens to be on the wrong side of the seesaw at the wrong time, are simply NOT going to get the HUGE $$$ being thrown around a few seasons ago. Note: it’s going to take some time before the players and agents really come to grips with the “new system.” But you can bet the farm dudes like Ireland are already dealing from that angle.

So what does this mean about the future? More than ever the NFL is all about getting college players up and running in short order. I think the staff we’ve put together fits that need remarkably well. The mere fact we have a number of coaches coming in from college programs supports the entire change of direction. Bottom line, the league is changing, and salaries will be proportionally impacted by that change. And the YOUNGER GM’s who get on the right side of the wave will deliver the best results in the future. I have issues with Ireland, but I’m not dogmatic about things. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – the dude has the basic ingredients to be one of the BEST in the league at what he does – as long as he learns from his mistakes. So far, I don’t see Ireland making the same mistake twice. So he’s developing, and as he develops the fortunes of this team develop as well, because his position is more important than ever.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 09:40AM by BigNastyFish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland and the Future of the Franchise
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 04, 2012 09:53AM

Well said BNF.

the only thing I'd add, is that the franchising of Soliai wasn't merely expedient. It was a fish or cut bait situation. The old CBA limited the raise we could give him in an extension to 30%. Soliai and his agent turned that offer down. We had to either let him walk or franchise him. So they franchised him to keep control of an asset hoping to get a long term deal done after the lock out ended. Soliai wanted to be paid at that franchise level after the lockout so no extension. After he hit free agency he realized his demands were out of whack wit the market place and re-signed at a very reasonable rate.

Its about context with these moves. Some people either don't remember the context of when and how these decisions were made, or they choose to ignore it, which as you pointed out reeks of an agenda.

Excellent post.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 04, 2012 10:03AM

I agree with alot of what you said BNF. but I also realize that the largest contract in the history of the NFL was signed this year by Calvin Johnson, under the new CBA. That goes contrary to some of what you said about contracts. I think it is hard to determine, how Ireland did this year in reality. This time of year, most people feel like their respective teams have done well in the draft, and maybe they have or maybe they havent. I hope Ireland nailed it, but based on his past and track record I am realistic about it as well. I am not eating the cheese just yet. In the last 4 years how many players drafted after the 1st rd, or FA signing would you considered were strong moves... Cam Wake,Hartline, Davone Bess, maybe Jimmy WIlson. Teams like Green Bay, havent really signed any FA, their success is based on how they drafted and developed young players. In the past we have not done a great job, of building our roster that way. Hopefully that is gonna change over the last 2 years. Still to early to determine that IMO. The future normally alway feels bright a week after the draft. I hope THomas, Gates, Clay, Wilson continue to grow from last year, but the jury is really still out on alot of them. Tannehill, Martin, Vernon, Miller, Keadu, Cunningham, Mathews and Randall, are really unknown...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 10:04AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 04, 2012 10:10AM

Personally I am coming around on Ireland. Like you said...he has had his problems but is evolving. I love his draft this year and agree that he indeed "killed it". As much as you can at this point without anyone having played a game. We got a QB and I like the pick.

There is no guarantee on Andrew Luck or RGIII. Remember 7th round QB, Ferotte beating out #3 O/A pick Shuler back in 94.

RT could end up being more successfull than either of the top two picks. I am betting he will.

He's definitely coming into a better situation than Luck. They could end up picking number 1 again next year. That is one lousy team.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 04, 2012 10:56AM

Well said Bigstank! It's a point i've tried to make (about the old CBA contracts) a couple of times, but nowhere near as articulate as you just didsmileys with beer

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: May 04, 2012 11:34AM

I agree on Long. I think that the new CBA has helped teams put a laser focus on spending cap $ on players that make a difference in wins and losses. I really like the luxury we have in having probably the best or one of the top 2 LTs in the league. But, the game has evolved and they're just not as important as they used to be.

However, this is one reason I think Wake gets a very nice payday or the tag with us. In this passing league, those who can get to the QB stand to get paid (see Mario Williams).

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 04, 2012 12:02PM

re Long, he was overpaid in terms of what he'd be able to get as a rookie #1 overall pick, for his first contract. but even under the new CBA, top flight players get major bucks--see the CJ example noted above. The question is what Long would get in his first non-rookie deal, and I see no evidence that this is much lower than what he's apparently looking for.
it's why we've got to build thru the draft---the one time you get players on the cheap.

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: May 04, 2012 03:48PM

Very well said, BNF!

One note, because of the new collective bargaining agreement, we need to continue drafting highly,ranked qb prospects every year until we hit the jackpot! From a $$$ standpoint it won't set us back at all!
I hope we hit it with RT

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 04, 2012 04:56PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 04, 2012 05:18PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 04, 2012 05:36PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Stevie, when most people hit a certain age
> (usually around 15 or 16), they drop the "ie" off
> the last part of their name, makes feel them more
> mature.....with your idea above, i'm hoping thats
> the case with you.

Don't be disturbed Stevie. He and his 4 year old son never heard of Stevie Wonder.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: May 04, 2012 08:53PM

Nice writeup there BNF.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about decisions that he's making. It appears he's making these with the consensus of the coaching staff which is very important. He's not being just a rogue GM playing real life fantasy football making every move on his own.

Kind of weird - when I'm looking around NFL.com or wherever there's always people bashing him in comments if there's a Dolphins article. It actually irritates me because it's pretty obvious that he's really attempting to turn things around, and there seems to be so many people who call themselves fans of this team who still have nothing but trash spilling from their keyboards.

There's a new era for this team being created right before our very own eyes and I have a feeling that good things will happen. It would be nice to see all Dolphins fans embrace this franchise with some positive energy and comments for a change in return for the attempt that's being made to improve it. Maybe if the teams very own fan base would publicly show more support like they should, then perhaps the media would start saying and writing some nice things too for a change.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: May 05, 2012 07:51AM

It's pretty obvious there's a “northeastern bias” in the NFM (national football media). The networks are all headquartered in NYC and ESPN is the biggest homer sham in sports TV. Beyond that, I think there’s a lot of old resentment going back to the days when Miami owned the AFC East and continuously outshined the Jets and the Cheats. The Bills are from Buffalo, so that’s all you need to know.

They NFM likes the fact Miami has been on the downside for a while and they have no issues using their platform to promote more garbage being dumped our way. But that’s just classless “piling on” and a clear sign or their agenda. And when you do it time after time, it’s NOT by accident.

But I am scared because the J E T S landed that brilliant bastard Baby T. It’s like, OMG what will we do now? Run for the hills because the pizza has landed!

Crowder, I hear ya man. You’re from the Missouri district in Miami no doubt. But Ireland has pretty much assembled the core of the roster at this point, and in another draft his mark will BE the roster. We’ll never know what decisions he would have made if Biggie T wasn’t blocking out the sun in SFL for those first few drafts. But most likely there would be some fairly notable differences, including your favorite non-player of all time, Patty White.

We all know it only takes a little thing called “winning” to change perceptions radically. Why do you think Billygoat loves to run up the score when he has the chance? Besides being classless and a proven cheater, he likes rubbing other people’s faces in crap. But more than that, the evil one wants to keep others teams down by beating them down. So we need to give that POS some of his own medicine and not just beat NE but embarrass them. As a dedicated fan of the Miami Dolphins that’s my wish. And I hope Ireland is up to the task of assembling the talent needed to kill the PIG. I want him roasted with a big apple stuck mouth. Let him eat some NY crow captured in Miami. And then beat him into submission with SFL coconuts!

Yea. That’s the ticket!

hot smiley

BNF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.