HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Philbin and the FINS are doing the right thing! - Integrity
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Philbin and the FINS are doing the right thing! - Integrity
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:26PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Philbin and the FINS are doing the right thing! - Integrity
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:45PM

Jim,

It seems we are insync right now. My post on Jared Odrick, in a roundabout way, was intended to send the same message. We posted them at the exact same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 12:48PM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 29, 2012 01:48PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 04:25PM

Discpline is good, unless you alienate all your key playesr so they no longer respect or trust you! A big challenge with today's players

Date: August 29, 2012 04:38PM

I would not apply that alienation to PHILBIN, jlyell.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 04:59PM

Not sure, Dansby, Bush and likely others that are coming out publicly may be questioning him. Vontae was a motivational challenge. Seems like some house cleaning of players from the Sparano regime, hopefully we turn it into a postive, but this smells like 4-12 or worse

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 30, 2012 03:59AM

How has Bush questioned him? Dansby is the only one I know of...

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 30, 2012 04:15AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 30, 2012 04:25AM

usually, when a team gets rid of a player, they have someone on the roster who made that player redundent. If it's a good team, that replacement is usually somone younger, cheaper, and just as good or better. See Pitt, NE, NYG, etc.

I agree with Fins72 that each move we made (trading marshall, vontae, I will leave out CJ bc he sucked anyway) was made with no one on the roster even 1/2 as good to replace him. And now it's almost regular season and the hole is just as glaring if not more so.

This is the worst team in the league--maybe (just maybe) CLE is worse than us, but I tend to doubt it. This is going to be 2007-level bad. We're lucky if we win 2 games. At least then there is no way Ireland is kept around and maybe somone with half a brain can use our multiple high draft picks and turn this ship away from the iceburg.

Date: August 30, 2012 04:52AM

The problem with assuming that Ireland will be toast is that I thought the same thing every year that Tom Olivadotti was our d coordinator and we'd lose games 50-49. I thought the same thing when we had the misfortune of Dave Wannstedt drafting players like Eddie Moore and Jamar Fletcher and yet they kept him for years. The further problem is that with this roster, it will be hard to assess Philbin and his staff as coaches. It's kind of like when our old offensive coordinator, Gary Stevens, made the infamous comment that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken S**t.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 30, 2012 05:31AM

This thread was intended primarily about Philbin, but I htink its fair to say that Ireland is in sync with supporting Philbin's evaluation of the roster, and changes as needed.

1. I have no issue with FINS72, and several others who have stated ... when you jettison players you should also have a plan to replace the talent.

- That said ... one caveat that reasonable people would agree:
You don't always have the timing or condition to balance two somewhat opposing objectives all at once ...

So ... How do I get optimum value for someone I'm not wanting to keep, and also have in my pocket a good replacement?

- I think the Vonte Davis Trade falls into this category.

- Vonte's poor performance, out of shape coincided with a great chance (overeager Colts owner) to swap out ... minus the necesarily strong replacement ... however the one they had made (DB-Marshall, was out playing Vonte).

- Bottom line coach's integrity move coincide with a chance for getting great value out of a inconsitently performing / and soon to likely be overpaid athelete

I think as I look back on the draft, that we sought to fill a lot of holes, and did okay in that. The one big one we are now discussing is WR. Good decision IMHO.

- Yes they need to firm up more talent at nickle and at safety.

2. Chad Johnson: Bottom line , he kicked his own butt. I applaud the decision to remove the madness. yes I know we have crap for receivers.

- Dansbe is a butthead in my humble opinion for speaking up against the decision. He's supposed to be a vet leader, and he's acting like a jerk! he's also overpaid for his performance.

3. Lastly, I hope that Philbin and Ireland and the rest of the dolphin brass have the stones to tow the line on whiners, and establish a winning team that doesn't take the crap from the loud mouth low performers that seem to get all the attention.

That said ... Ireland and company really really need to find some diamonds in the rough to put around tannehill from the cutbacks and make this team come out of the pre-season with some attitude and talent!

Go Phins!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 30, 2012 05:47AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> usually, when a team gets rid of a player, they
> have someone on the roster who made that player
> redundent. If it's a good team, that replacement
> is usually somone younger, cheaper, and just as
> good or better.

here is the most important part, right here. My problem with the way some of it is handled is exactly that. Dont create problems create solutions.. If you run a business and your manager comes to you and says I have to fire this guy... What is the first question you ask, who and how do you plan on filling his position... Firing somebody is not a solution, the solution is in the replacement... If you fire somebody and his replacement is no better then the original, there is no solution, just a problem you havent been able to solve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 05:50AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 30, 2012 07:59AM

You're talking business sense here, Crowder. Aren't we more interested in boasting about we could belittle these athletes if we were in charge??? You're not gonna get very far with a post like this, Crowder. Not gonna get very far. This chatboard is an opportunity for us to show our manhood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 08:02AM by ChyrenB.

Date: August 30, 2012 10:17AM

If we're talking about replacements, and making sure that we have someone better to step in if someone is let go, it also applies to Ireland, I guess. If he's canned, what's the likelihood that Carl Peterson takes over the GM/player personnel duties? Personally, I think I'd rather have Ireland. Peterson was an unmitigated disaster in KC. Oh, for the Shula days...sigh...

Date: August 30, 2012 10:27AM

FIns72- you are damn right, hiring Carl Peterson to replace Ireland would not solve or help anything and the same rules apply. Although in reality Carl Peterson was already heavily involved in our coaching search and interviews that ultimately hired Philbin...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 30, 2012 10:30AM

OMG what have we come down to.......Shoot me in the rear end with a bee bee gun......

Date: August 30, 2012 10:52AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 30, 2012 11:00AM

quote: Yeah you can blame prior admins for not getting an "elite" QB but like I have posted a million times on this board until I am sick, a QB is not EVERYTHING in football.

But we have to start somewhere chren................How about if we hit on tannehill then we can start building a team around him...

Its not everything but the most important thing on a football team is having a superstar QB.

Maybe philbin is what this team needed.....He did something that has never been done here since dan marino.....He drafted a qb in the first round.

Date: August 30, 2012 11:17AM

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: August 31, 2012 04:47AM

I have a question. I didn't watch any of the "Hard Knocks" episodes and only the third game of PS but I noticed that the guys that had the dreadlocks last season are now clean. Was that a directive from the coach or was it a "unity" thing like the players in the NHL playoffs not shaving? Maybe it was already covered but I don't read all the posts.

Date: August 31, 2012 05:50AM

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: August 31, 2012 06:27AM

Thanks, That's great to see high character guys on the team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.