HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sean Smith
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Sean Smith
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 29, 2012 07:38AM

Some say Vontae was our best CB. I'm not sure but I believe that stems from PFF ratings and the fact he had more int's. over the last three years.

Coaches say Smith took the next step this year and has improved dramatically. I don't know about you guys but that's exactly what I've seen in the past couple of PS games. The knock on him was that he needed to get more aggressive.

It sure looks to me like he has done that. He was playing like a crazed dog last couple of weeks. He's all over the place breaking up passes and making big plays in the run game.

I think SS makes a strong case for the Pro Bowl this year. He seems to have gained his confidence back and has shown a lot of aggression. He's talking on the field and backing it up. Making the PB usually depends on how many int's you get. That's where you get the notoriety.

I also think teams will avoid him and go after Marshall and the nickle back so int's might be few and far between.

Has anyone else notice this?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sean Smith
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:11AM

DO you remember Sean Smith in the Tampa Bay preseason game, piss poor tackling and hardly the defintion of a shut down corner. Steve Smith caught passes against him as well.
Whats scares me about Sean Smith is he always has alot of hype coming out of training camp and then fall flats on his face during the season. He has problems with smaller quick type of WR, and problems with tackling... I sure hope this year is not just another year of preseason hype, and the new coaching staff doesnt understand that this has been part of his M>O>... It makes me very nervous.... But i will admit, he looks good in practice and on Hard Knocks...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:17AM

Let's face it, when we drafted Davis/Smith people were immediately comparing them to Madison/Surtain. These guys don't compare, but they're still solid. Remember in the Shula days when ALL our CBs were mediocre (except, maybe Troy Vincent)? Smith is a solid CB, and he's only going to get better. I'm not worried, but I'll wait-and-see before I declare him an All-Pro.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:27AM

One of the major problems with Smith has been his inability to hold on to interceptions. He has had many opportunities, but dropped the majority of them. In fact, I believe his first season he had zero ints.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:30AM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the major problems with Smith has been his
> inability to hold on to interceptions. He has had
> many opportunities, but dropped the majority of
> them. In fact, I believe his first season he had
> zero ints.

Ever heard the edict "DBs are just WRs that can't catch"?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:35AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:36AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:36AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> captkoi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One of the major problems with Smith has been
> his
> > inability to hold on to interceptions. He has
> had
> > many opportunities, but dropped the majority of
> > them. In fact, I believe his first season he
> had
> > zero ints.
>
> Ever heard the edict "DBs are just WRs that can't
> catch"?

Sure have, but Sean took it to the extreme.

The word has it that that is one major reason he wasn't voted to the Pro Bowl last year. If he had snagged a few more, he would have been voted in.

Date: August 29, 2012 10:11AM

I sure hope you are right, I have never seen anything in a game during his entire career, that ever shows to me that Sean Smith will make the pro bowl this year. A word of advice dont read to much into practice hype... Wait till you see it on the field in a real game, before you make predictions like Sean Smith in the prowbowl, especially after his lack luster performance last year.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 10:15AM

Sean smith has trouble from tackling to holding on to interceptions...

I hope eesti is right and he is at pro bowl level but i just do not see it.

Date: August 29, 2012 10:30AM

Maybe the reason Sean Smith looks so good in practice this year, is the WR;s he covers in practice, are not very good. He is never covering Bess who is our most talented from what I have seen... Bess is the type of WR Sean SMith would have problems with....

Based on what I have seen during their respective careers, I would say it is more likely Vontae Davis makes the probowl before Sean Smith... It will be interesting to see how their careers play out..

Nietzsche

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 10:36AM

quote: Maybe the reason Sean Smith looks so good in practice this year, is the WR;s he covers in practice,

You are on to something here!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 29, 2012 03:10PM

Smith is doing what the coaches want him to be doing...Davis wasn't, its just that simple.

Thats why Smith's still here and Davis is getting fitted for a new uniform.

Personally I'd have kept him, and continued to work with him throughout the season. If he didn't respond by then I'd get rid of him then. There is something to be said however for striking when the iron's hot.

But, I don't get to make the descisions.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 29, 2012 03:24PM

Smith has had real issues in run defense, but it looks like he may be getting better. Davis was always good in run support. I think that, and the fact that Davis has been more consistent than Smith is why he's generally been considered the better corner. As rookies, Smith started the year better than Davis, but by the end of the year, Davis had passed him. In 2010, Smith lost his starting job at the start of the year, furthering the perception that Davis was far ahead of him. But, once Smith got his job back in 2010, he was fantastic. He really did a great job in coverage, and if he hadn't dropped 7 interceptions, he'd have made the Pro Bowl. But, 2011 was a very bad year for Smith, while Davis was very good after his suspension. Smith seemed lost at times. There were reports that he bulked up to be more physical against the run, and got up around 230 lbs. This year, he's said he's dropped about 20 pounds since last year.

Some numbers from PFF:
Davis allowed 64% completions, 7 TD, and a 112.1 passer rating. He had 4 INT and 8 passes defensed.
Smith allowed 56% completions, 4 TD, and a 114.4 passer rating. He had 0 INT and 10 passes defensed. (Smith was thrown at 68 times, and Davis 77)

Davis allowed 63% completions, 3 TD, and a 92.9 passer rating. He had 1 INT and 9 passes defensed.
Smith allowed 53% completions, 1 TD, and a 74.8 passer rating. He had 1 INT, and 8 passes defensed. (He was only thrown at 45 times, compared to 72 times for Davis)

Davis allowed 55% completions, 3 TD, and a 68.6 passer rating. He had 4 INT and 6 passes defensed.
Smith allowed 59% completions, 5 TD, and a 90.7 passer rating. He had 2 INT and 5 passes defensed. (Smith was thrown at 104 times, compared to just 66 for Davis)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.