HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Honest Question about our choices as an organization
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Honest Question about our choices as an organization
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:06AM

At the end of last season, I was one of the few who was not in favor of firing Sparano, and getting rid of Nolan and Daboll, not because they were awesome by any means... My main concern was, I did not think our team needed to be scrapped and headed into rebuilding mode. I thought our team would be better served sticking with what we had and finding a QB. I was assured by many members on this site, that firing Sparano does not put us in rebuilding mode and our team will be better. I argued that at the time unless the new coach does better then Sparano did in his first year, which is next to impossible, winning the afc east 11-5 record, what are we hoping happens... I also said we will just wind up waiting another 3-4 years to find out if the new coach is any better... And I dont didnt want to rebuild again, and now here we are. Traded away our top WR, traded away our top CB, have dissention by our team leaders,etc. When Sparano had a QB he went 11-5, won the afc east, and was second in the voting for Coach of the year, when he didnt have a QB, he was mediocre. I think the problem was more the QB then the coach, and now I am not sure about the coach.. The GM, who is in charge of getting the right players, has always been a problem... And now all of this rebuilding is him rebuilding his own decision that didnt serve him well the first time, so we give him a chance to do it again...
Do you honestly think we will better this year then we would have been had we kept Sparano, Nolan,Daboll, Marshall, and Davis.. We still could have drafted Tannehill, and would have had a shot at fixing the problem that plagues us through out the sparano era. Instead we have alot of unknowns, and the hope that Ireland who built the last roster, will do a better job with it, with his second chance... I understand that Sparano had issues, and wasnt perfect, but at this point I have less faith in what we are doing, then what had been done prior... We are starting over, and I dont think that was what was best for this organization... It just sets us back another 4 years IMO.. I am tired of inconsistency and hoping the unknown is somehow going to be better then what was already known...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Honest Question about our choices as an organization
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:22AM

I'm really surprised to read this. What you're suggesting is we may have been better by just sticking with what we had. Didn't we try that with Wanny...year after year after year?

You just have to look at the Jets offense right now to know that we did the right thing in getting rid of Sparano. Unfortunately, whenever you jettison a HC, it usually means you let go of your OC and DC as well. I would have liked to keep Nolan. Daboll was unproven, but since Philbin is an offensive-minded coach I think Daboll was toast regardless.

I'm not sure about Marshall, but I think it was the right thing to trade Davis. We got good value for a guy that's been underachieving for quite some time.

As for Sparano's first year, you CANNOT give Sparano 100% credit for that. The reason for our 11-5 record was the following:

- A very easy schedule due to having such a bad record the previous year
- Bill Parcells...I believe he had his hands in the coaching the first year
- Chad Pennington (who only signed because of Parcells). CP healthy was one of the best QBs in the league.
- Taking the league by surprise with the Wildcat

On the other hand, what followed was:

- Much more difficult schedules (like this coming year)
- No Parcells...so Sparano is showing who he really is
- Chad "Robot" Henne at QB
- No more wildcat (the league has figured it out).

Sorry, but the formula that followed the 11-5 season didn't work. We suffered through that for 3 years. It was time to try something new.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:40AM

& Brady went down in game 1 that year.

I simply don't think Sparano was a good enough coach. I don't think he developed players to reach their full potential and he didn't seem to make good decisions.

And, regarding the WC, I find it somewhat incriminating that they practiced it in the preseason that year but waited until their backs were firmly against the wall at 2-4 (having just lost bad to AZ) before they unleashed it. Lee was the architect, Sparano knew he had the bullet in his holster, yet he didn't fire until he practically had no choice.

He got bullied around by Porter, he didn't handle the QB situation well, he couldn't even figure out the OL - his own coaching calling card - with 4 1st rounders on it (Colombo likely being his personal selection and one of the 4). He let Marshall get away with more than he should have (my opinion).

Date: August 28, 2012 10:51AM

The formula included at Qb, when Sparano had a QB, he was successful. When he didnt he was not. The last 3 years he didnt have a QB. I dont think Philbin would have been anymore succesful with Henne then Sparano was would you agree...

The guy in charge of getting Sparano a QB during that 3 years of mediocrity was Ireland not Sparano.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 10:52AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 28, 2012 10:57AM

Sparano took a 1-15 team and went 11-5. If you believe the schedule was weak, ok, but the schedule is just as weak this year and Philbin is taking over a 6 win team. So does that mean we should expect a record greater then 11-5 and a guaranteed AFC east title?
Had Sparano stayed with this team and we drafted a Qb, we would be much better off then, what has gone under the philbin tenure thus far IMO. I hope he proves me wrong...

Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:58AM

TSStamper, the Wildcat (WC) was a detriment to our team, not a boon. It broke the rhythmn of our drives and wasted 1st and 2nd downs when we got within the opposition's 40 yard line. I would be interested in how many other readers on this board felt we did not use the Wildcat ENOUGH?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 28, 2012 11:01AM

Sorry, Crowder, for the reasons in my last post to TSSTAMPER, I've got to disagree. Sparano was TOO WEDDED TO THE Wildcat to be an effective coach. It was a bunch of crap. I'm waiting for him to bench Sanchez, which won't be to hard given the fans reaction, put in TEbow as NFL Channel is begging, and reinstitute the Wildcat! Wildcat! Wildcat!

I'm waiting for it and licking my lips in anticipation of two easy Division wins for the Dolphins.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 28, 2012 11:02AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I dont think
> Philbin would have been anymore succesful with
> Henne then Sparano was would you agree...

Maybe if sparano didnt ran the wildcat 79 percent of the time and inserted henne in on 3rd and long many times because the wildcat didnt work, , maybe then henne would had been more successfull.

Chren brought that up on another thread and it made a lot of sense.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: August 28, 2012 11:02AM

Another question. IF Philbin is such an offensive genius, WHY is the offense so dang generic, vanilla or whatever you wanna call it? Is Tannehill not up to the task? If so that's a bad sign as he was supposed to be 'use' to the offense. Could we be holding back? If so WHY is Tanne playing this week? I know we are hurting in the receiver department but I'm frankly confused with the straight drop back simple pattern stuff. Spread the field let Tannehil use those young, supposedly fast legs a little to keep the defense honest in obvious passing situations.

Date: August 28, 2012 11:07AM

I think we went 11 and 5 because parcells brought in pennington and we won the afc east title because brady got hurt.

Sparano didnt do jack for this team. The only thing he did was he brought in over the hill OLmen from dallas who werent worth crap and lets not forget....fasano........He is great isnt he?

But iam a fan of sparano a huge fan now that he is making life a living hell for the jets organization...I hope he stays there for many many years.....Then he can go to the bills or pats.

Date: August 28, 2012 11:14AM

If you guys honestly believe the Wildcat was the problem and not Henne, then we should have kept him. lol and not drafted a guy #8.lol
But Ireland got rid of Henne as fast as he did Sparano... Ireland didnt feel good betting his career on Henne as he asked Sparano to bet his career on Henne.
My point is when Sparano didnt have Henne at the helm, his team was pretty good. The only problem with that 2008 team was the defense, had we gotten Nolan a year earlier, we could have been something...

Nietzsche

Date: August 28, 2012 11:17AM

Crowder wrote...If you guys honestly believe the Wildcat was the problem and not Henne, then we should have kept him.

Both needed to be gone....

But do you agree that the wildcat was one of the things that hampered hennes development?

Do you agree with that?

Date: August 28, 2012 11:21AM

and for all the negative that is said about the wildcat. One of the greatest games I have ever seen as a Dolphins fan, was when we broke it out and shocked NE, a TD pass from Ronnie to Fasano, we turned the NFL upside down that year.. It was the best I felt about this team since we lost Jimmy Johnson. SO while the NFL defenses caught on after time, that first year, was historic, with our formations, and the greatest turn around in NFL history... That doesnt happen to a coach by accident.... sorry it just doesnt... A year before that we watched our owner cry as we scored that late TD against the Ravens to keep us from going winless for the entire 16 game season... Cry for one win.... thats how bad it was in 2007...

Nietzsche

Date: August 28, 2012 11:25AM

SamSam,
yes I think the wildcat and Henning did not help Henne develop and find rhythmn in the games at times... The offense that was designed and used, was for a veteran like Pennington, it wasnt an offense for developing a rookie. WHich is why Henning was let go/retired, and the wildcat got used less and less.. I liked Henne, I just dont think he has "it" and was a slow developer, maybe a guy that will flourish late in his career as his grasp of the game gets rock solid...but I wouldnt bet on it though

Nietzsche

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 28, 2012 11:25AM

I agree that the WC was a detriment long-term, but it was a boon in the short-term (perhaps not even for the rest of that 08 season, really).

I didn't mean to imply that he should have used it more. What I meant was that he had that bullet in the chamber and didn't fire it earlier. In my opinion, the bad idea wasn't in using it in the first place...it was in over-using it for much too long with Henne. Pennington was the type of QB who could handle that kind of unusual rhythm, Henne wasn't.

To be clear, in my opinion he shouldn't have used it more. A better coach would have understood that his circumstance had changed and he needed to use it less or not at all after it ceased to have the initial effect.

Perhaps a question for another topic, but think what might have been if we'd never gone to the WC in the first place. No Pat White, I would guess.

Date: August 28, 2012 11:31AM

Also when did we ever run the wildcat 78 percent of the time on any game let alone multigame avg...that numbers doesnt sound correct to me...

Nietzsche

Date: August 28, 2012 11:36AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also when did we ever run the wildcat 78 percent
> of the time on any game let alone multigame
> avg...that numbers doesnt sound correct to me...

I meant we ran it a lot....Of course we did not ran it 78 percent of the time....

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 28, 2012 11:36AM

Are you just playing the role of “provocateur” at this point, or village idiot?

Your core “question” is so profoundly idiotic it must be a ruse because no one who pretends to know Pro football would assert that position otherwise.

LOL.

BNF. And highly respected in my opinion.

BTW Crowder, the way you frame your “facts” is a dead giveaway to your glaring bias. And if you like Baby T so much then fell free to cheer for the Jets. I’m sure they’re reaping the benefits of his offensive genius this very moment!

Date: August 28, 2012 11:46AM

Why thank you BNF, coming from you such words I can only take as a compliment... I am asking an honest question? I guess I am just to bias for you, I should go root for the jets...
Do you think we are going to have a better record this year under Philbin. Then had we kept Sparano, Nolan, Daboll, Brandon Marshall, Vontae Davis, and still drafted Tannehill...
I think it is a clear question, if asking it on a phins message board make me an idiot in your eyes, although it will be hard, I can deal with the burden of such...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 11:47AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 28, 2012 11:51AM

BNF- your foolishness, kept you from offering anything of value on the matter other then choosing to use simple minded insults rather then intelligence... for that you get an A++

Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 28, 2012 12:06PM

I think you're out there on this one Crowder52.

1. We may not be that hot now, but no matter what, I'm not ok with a coach that can bring a team out 0-7.

- End of story, don't even want to hear about the 6 wins at the end of the year cause they just don't matter then.

2. As to other posts asking what we have now vanilla offense ... too early to say that. No one shows much in preseason.

- That said I'm not real happy with the crap we have at WR.
- We're still paying for the roister we had last year (yeah that one full of vets that went out 0-7).

3. If we can give RT some weapons we still may make some noise this year, but lamenting about Sparano not being here any more - NOT!

- Sparano was a moron, and I think the Jets are going to see that this year.

Fist pump ! Yeah

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:19PM

The reason our WC was so successful in '08 was because of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. No other team had 2 RBs of that caliber playing together in their backfield.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: August 28, 2012 02:37PM

Dan "Max protect, 2 wideout on 3rd and 9" Henning.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 28, 2012 03:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.