HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Flynn is in the building...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Flynn is in the building...
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:23AM

Arrived around 6 am this morning. Hopefully we lock him up with a deal. I am pretty sure he would rather be here than in Seattle.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flynn is in the building...
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:27AM

He would make the most sense to have already knowing Philbin's system. We better do this. I think he'd perform better with us anyway, and I bet he knows it.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:44AM

Hoping , just hoping we don't screw this up....

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:48AM

I am not worried about screwing this up more aabout if he is the guy... Cause if he stinks it up next year all of these guys that want flynn will be saying why did we sign him lol

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 17, 2012 07:52AM

I'm hoping that we don't have to overpay the guy to play here in case he doesn't work. It'll make dumping him a little easier.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 17, 2012 08:25AM

Not me Reppa, I realize we have to take chances to get our guy. If he turns out to be not what we thought, or need, then we have to have a plan B, and a plan C, and D, and E, and so on. That should be;

Moore (b)...because he's the incumbent and he showed promise last year.
Tannehill (c)...best total package available. Biggest upside.
Wheeden (d)...great passing skills, but lacking in mobility.
next years draft (e)...Beyond Barkley which we will not get, ??????

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 17, 2012 08:27AM

Someone order him some chicken wings and a cheese platter!

Do it now. And just shut UP!

hot smiley

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 17, 2012 08:57AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:15AM

It would be convenient for our coach if we sign him other then that I see absolutely no reason to be excited about a 7th rd draft pick that can not make all the throws, and has played 2 games in over 4 years.... Seriously, who cares...

Date: March 17, 2012 09:21AM

to be frank, I dont see anymore reason to be excited about Flynn then Matt Moore.. At least Moore has some experience and has been challenged... When a guy has only played 2 games. He hasnt been tested. In the NFL it is not how well you do what you are good at, becasue a defensive cordinator will take that away, once he has some game tape on a player. It is how well you can do what you are not good at, or adapt once defense's figure out how to game plan against you... And at this point Matt Moore has dealt with that part of maturation and Flynn hasnt remotely dealt with it...

Date: March 17, 2012 09:24AM

Its the best move at this Juncture. I'll get excited after training camp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 09:24AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:27AM

Looks as if the Irish lads (Ireland, Philbin, and Flynn) are all talking about the Pot O Gold on the St. Patty's Day!!!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 17, 2012 09:32AM

If we don’t sign Flynn it’s simply because, based on Philbin’s up-close and personal knowledgeable of his skill set, we don’t like the sticker price. Furthermore, we have a LOT more upside faith in Moore than most would believe.

And unlike a few around here, I see NO evidence Moore cannot develop under Philbin’s coaching in the ‘WCO.” Even if we sign Flynn, Moore deserves the opportunity to compete on a level field.

Beyond that, regardless if we sign Flynn or not we need to start drafting QB talent to develop for the future. And if we’re in the position to land a top level prospect we need to make that move…

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:35AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not me Reppa, I realize we have to take chances to
> get our guy. If he turns out to be not what we
> thought, or need, then we have to have a plan B,
> and a plan C, and D, and E, and so on. That should
> be;

There are lots of qb's with promise the problem is committment. Flynn might be good but I personally would not be willing to take that chance at 10-12 mill because like cassle and kolbs you are locked in for like 3 years. You find out that they are not that good, everyone gets fired and we are back here again. Now if we get him for 3-4 mil if he plays poorly you can bench a guy making that much. My concern is not really flynn persay it is the amount of money it will take to find out if he is our guy. Prior to FA the number could have exceeded 12mil/per now i think it is down to about 7-8 im guessing but that is still to much cause you cant bench a guy making that much no matter how bad he is playing and that is how you can cripple a franchise... jmo

Date: March 17, 2012 09:39AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Its the best move at this Juncture. I'll get
> excited after training camp.

Is it the best move or the only move at this juncture? There is a difference IMO...
I am not saying Flynn might not be great at some point and his extra book knowledge of the system isnt going to hurt... But out of 32 teams, the guy has 2 teams, and both only want to pay him back up money... So lets at least be honest about what we are talking about... Matt Moore had more suitors last year then Flynn has this year... What does that tell you?

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:45AM

Yes, Ryan T is 6'4" and 222 pounds. With the cleats on it will be like 6'5" & 1/2. Big is what we need to look over those defensive lines. A 6'2" with cleats on regardless speed can't see over those defensive lines. As a recall Dan was also 6'4" and look what he did here all by himself. Hopefully if it is RT1, Philbin will give him the help that Shula NEVER gave to Danny boy.

Date: March 17, 2012 09:46AM

Depends Crowder. It's also possible most teams know Flynn is Miami bound so why invest time...

But for sure he is a "system guy" and we just happen to have that system.

Date: March 17, 2012 09:49AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Its the best move at this Juncture. I'll get
> > excited after training camp.
>
>
> Is it the best move or the only move at this
> juncture? There is a difference IMO...
> I am not saying Flynn might not be great at some
> point and his extra book knowledge of the system
> isnt going to hurt... But out of 32 teams, the guy
> has 2 teams, and both only want to pay him back up
> money... So lets at least be honest about what we
> are talking about... Matt Moore had more suitors
> last year then Flynn has this year... What does
> that tell you?

I don't know. How many Teams Passed on Marino in the draft before we got him? Philbin knows him better then any team out there. I bet if Manning was not on the board Elway would be all over him.

Date: March 17, 2012 09:51AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Depends Crowder. It's also possible most teams
> know Flynn is Miami bound so why invest time...
>
> But for sure he is a "system guy" and we just
> happen to have that system.

I hear ya, but we were willing to let him walk, and didnt even ask for a meeting until 5 days after FA opened.... While his initial price was ridiculous, it still tells you with all of his knowledge of the system and relationship with our HC, we dont value him that much....

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:54AM

Reports are saying that "Miami is favored to sign Flynn." Hmmmm....where have I heard that before (with another name)?

Anyway....I still don't see the fascination with Flynn. Sure, I understand that he and Philbin know each other and Flynn could probably step in pretty quickly and run whatever offense Philbin decides to institute. But, other than that, what?

If Miami does sign him, I hope they aren't dumb enough to give him too much up-front money.

If they sign him, I would think Miami would do one of two things: keep Moore as a backup in case Flynn doesn't work out (which means Ireland, et al, blew it again) or trade Moore. Probably wouldn't get much more than a 5th rounder, tho. Then draft a QB at 8 (if they have a strong conviction on one of them) or hope the 4th best QB drops to them in the 2nd round.

Again, depending on their conviction, I still see them trading back in the draft (if they sign Flynn). They wait too long and they will be in desperation mode concerning a QB.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:59AM

At this point, it'd be great to sign Flynn, because then we'd be able to use our draft picks on other team needs.

BUT....don't overpay for him! If Seattle offers ridiculously high $, see ya later, have fun with Pete Carroll. We can't screw up our salary cap situation to sign a bit of a gamble such as Flynn.

Remember, the new labor agreement has a cap on rookie pay, so we wouldn't have to worry (very much) about drafting a QB in Round 1 and have him take to long to sign or hold out.

So it's either a cap-friendly contract or go kiss Pete Carroll and Bill Gates' butts in Seattle and we'll take our chances in the draft.

(edited b/c I misspelled "Gates"winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 10:04AM by JC.

Date: March 17, 2012 10:06AM

Date: March 17, 2012 10:22AM

I agree with your assessment of it being the best play for Flynn... But still, nobody valued him, like was being thought pre FA. Flynn needs Miami more then Miami needs Flynn IMO.... But if Manning said yes, Flynn was going to do what exactly? Sign with Seattle for back up money... That couldnt have been his agents plan... Flynn is here in Miami, becasue only Seattle and Miami showed any interest..
I dont think it is speculation that Flynn didnt have a meeting set up with us, until after we were out of the Manning sweepstakes...

I think it is great if we have Moore and Flynn to compete in Camp, I think it will probably be a good battle, I just hope signing Flynn, who is familar with Philbin doesnt prevent Moore from having a fair shot at the job as well... FLynn and Moore are equal in my book, if anything Moore should have the edge... SO salaries and shot at the starting job should be pretty equal... I dont want Flynns salary to dicate his starting...

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 17, 2012 10:55AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But Reppa is right that if Flynn does not work
> out, the same quarterback-is-everything people
> will be asking "why in the Hell did we sign him."
>
I disagree. Pennington flopped his 2nd year here, and, arguably, also slowed the evaluation of Henne, but I haven't heard anyone regretting that signing.

I'm in for Flynn. If he flops, I'll take that lump. Fact is, we have no chance at a top QB in this draft, but we may have a chance in NEXT draft. If Flynn truly flops, then Barkley should be on our radar. Otherwise, if Flynn is successful, then we'll all look like geniuses!!

Date: March 17, 2012 11:05AM

Flynn and Moore will be a good battle and that’s also going to help them both improve. Obviously Flynn would be the default starter because he knows the system but I’ve said all along Moore deserves the opportunity to compete for the job on the up and up.

The key point is…Flynn has had the benefit of excellent coaching in the developmental phase of his career, I don’t think the same applies to Matt Moore. That being said he could really improve a LOT under Philbin. It’s definitely a possibility and I bet Philbin is excited to work with the kid. I hope so…

BNF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.