HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Flynn Alert: Have a Happy Pigskin Meal!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Flynn Alert: Have a Happy Pigskin Meal!
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 15, 2012 07:29AM

I think a bunch of Dolphin fans are hung-over from the seesaw season…

About halfway through it looked like we’d have the first or second pick. Yippee! We can draft Andrew Luck!!! But then (sad face) we started winning and the lottery number tumbled down. OMG! No more Luck! It was a weird scenario getting “comfortable” with losing, almost welcoming it – followed by the disdain for winning games that were deemed “meaningless.” Definitely a sort of Chinese water torture deal. Certainly “bad luck.”

And now you’ve got folks already looking towards the 2013 draft when we all know the football world will most likely end sometime in mid-December this year! I mean come on guys, I’m starting to think those drips on the forehead did some permanent damage.

Too many folks are all or nothing types. Ya know, win the Stupid Bowl or you’re just a stupid loser. I guess it’s a sort of MacDonald’s “Championship with large fries” kind of attitude. Give it to me NOW or I’m going over to Burger King!

Mommy mommy I want my RG3 and I want it now! Yeah yeah yeah yeah. So you’ve watched this team for like 30 years or 30 days and you’re sick and tired of not getting the special prize inside the cracker jacks box. And someone stole our lucky charms and that nasty fatty Tuna was a real stinker.

And now we’ve traded our certified angus beast for two barnyard chickens and a previously chewed Tootsie Roll. I mean really. The only HC who’s obviously dumber than Baby T is the one we hired! And why does everyone get “better” and/or smarter when they go elsewhere? And why didn’t Ross build a domed stadium for Peyton to play in? I mean DUH!

Oh dear. May the farce be with you!

BNF.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flynn Alert: Have a Happy Pigskin Meal!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 07:33AM

BNF you are certifiably wacky. The entire stated goal this offseason was to get a big time QB. It's looking like we aren't going to get that. If we enter the offseason with Matt Moore as the starter than I think the fans are legitimately justified in being pissed.

Date: March 15, 2012 07:44AM

We should be......but for some reason I'm not. Mat really grew on me , he isn't what was promised, but he is 10x better then anything we have had in a long time.We had alot of dropped balls , he's a decent QB. he's mobile. With a better line and a healthy Jake Long I'm just not as pissed as looking at a season with Run Run Saprano and Chad the Robot Henne.

Date: March 15, 2012 07:53AM

The stated goal is to improve the team as we can legitimately achieve, but as Philbin stated he doesn’t believe in the “one player miracle” approach. So just keep in mind you don’t always get what you want. And that my man is the very simple point of my post.

That and stop acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. And it’s obvious a bunch of peeps around here are still really sore over the fact we won too many games to be at the top of the draft. So now we’re already planning to lose for Barkley?

I think that’s pretty pathetic. One of the good things about sports is the possibility for really positive things to happen. But that can never be in an atmosphere of negativity and resignation. There will be plenty of time to evaluate all the decisions made by Philbin & Co in the coming months.

I would just prefer a LOT more positive vibe in the interim. Ya know, like don’t judge the outcome before the team is even assembled. Just a novel idea…

If this board is indicative of the real fan base then the franchisee is in serious trouble.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Date: March 15, 2012 07:56AM

I try to be as optimistic as the next guy, but this team has flat out failed at the last 3 or 4 things it has set out to accomplish, sometimes in embarrassing fashion: harbaugh, fisher, and now it looks like manning, rg3, and possibly flynn. hard to give the team the benefit of the doubt under these circumstances.

it is clear that there isn't going to be any shortcut to success here. It's gonna be a multiyear process, but somewhere along the way were are going to need a FRANCHISE qb (defined as much better than what Moore has shown thus far in his career) to become relevant and a contender again

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 15, 2012 07:59AM

Berk, I understand the fans being pissed. But, they (we) have to understand that there is a huge difference between saying our priority is to get a franchise quarterback...and being in a position to actually get one.

The sexy players available to us were going to be very limited in the sense that Luck was completely beyond our grasp, RGIII was always going to be way too expensive, and Manning isn't worth it either due to his health concerns.

Then we have; Flynn who is a concern due to a lack of experience as a starter, Tannehill who is a concern due to limited college experience, Wheeden who is a concern due to his advanced age, Moore who is viewed as lacking in overall talent, and Foles who most think isn't an upgrade at all.

So, we're left with having to take a player that has questions and the fans are grumpy. As if there was a player anywhere that had no questions.

Us fans simply need to get over it and look at the bigger picture. We are NOT going to overcome thirteen years of neglect in one offseason.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:07AM

I heard a lot of the same complaints last year though berk, "why didn't we go after Kolb", "why aren't we going after D. McNabb" or 'why the hell wont that idiot Ireland just give Denver and Orton what they want!"
I'm starting to trust Ireland's insticts for some of the moves he's not making. Maybe there's a reason we haven't jumped on Flynn and over paid. Look at the money some of these #2 WR's are getting.....no thanks!

Date: March 15, 2012 08:40AM

you can't hit a home run if you never swing the bat

Posted by: mrd357 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:50AM

All I am going to say is that was a pretty funny post...lmao....

Date: March 15, 2012 09:51AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you can't hit a home run if you never swing the
> bat

Yea. You're 100% right. And you can't call someone OUT before they've had a chance to hit the ball.

It would have been better to punt on first down!

BNF.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 15, 2012 10:47AM

Date: March 15, 2012 10:51AM

D-mark, who would you rather see us get; Flynn or Tannehill? Tannehill is not a popular choice on this board, but i'm curious about your opinion on this.

Date: March 15, 2012 11:01AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> D-mark, who would you rather see us get; Flynn or
> Tannehill? Tannehill is not a popular choice on
> this board, but i'm curious about your opinion on
> this.

I like Tannehill. Gil Brandt does, too, and that carries a lot of weight with me. He says Tannehill is the 7th best prospect in the entire draft. Tannehill is a great athlete. He excelled at WR before moving to QB. He's got ideal size and a strong arm (which Flynn does not, on both counts). He's played in Mike Sherman's offense for 4 years. And he's really smart (planning to be an orthopedic surgeon). I think his lack of experience at the position means that it'd be a learning curve for him. And I think if he's the pick, then we need to start cutting/trading some high salaried guys because it's rebuilding for a 2014 or 2015 run.

Date: March 15, 2012 11:04AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > D-mark, who would you rather see us get; Flynn
> or
> > Tannehill? Tannehill is not a popular choice on
> > this board, but i'm curious about your opinion
> on
> > this.
>
> I like Tannehill. Gil Brandt does, too, and that
> carries a lot of weight with me. He says Tannehill
> is the 7th best prospect in the entire draft.
> Tannehill is a great athlete. He excelled at WR
> before moving to QB. He's got ideal size and a
> strong arm (which Flynn does not, on both counts).
> He's played in Mike Sherman's offense for 4 years.
> And he's really smart (planning to be an
> orthopedic surgeon). I think his lack of
> experience at the position means that it'd be a
> learning curve for him. And I think if he's the
> pick, then we need to start cutting/trading some
> high salaried guys because it's rebuilding for a
> 2014 or 2015 run.

Thanks. How about a combo of Hasslebeck to groom Tannehill, trade or cut Moore?

Date: March 15, 2012 11:09AM

dolphaholic Wrote:

>
> Thanks. How about a combo of Hasslebeck to groom
> Tannehill, trade or cut Moore?

I could absolutely see that happening. Hasselbeck is a WCO veteran, and he could start until Tannehill is ready. It would depend on the market for Hasselbeck if he gets cut. We wouldn't be able to offer him much money. The same can be said for Kevin Kolb if he gets cut, another WCO QB.

Depending on who they land, I could see Moore getting cut or traded, and have been saying that for a while now. Even if it's Flynn, they may want a backup who has WCO experience.

Date: March 15, 2012 11:26AM

I have said all along I like the Flynn option #1 because it just makes too much sense. No doubt the money thing is a significant factor but so is the basic opportunity to come into a big market team with a staff that's perfectly equipped to max out your game and give you all the tools you need to build a solid career.

But I also believe Moore has some pretty good athletic chops and just needs to speed his decision process to compete effectively in WCO. He would be behind the curve if Flynn was in camp but the kid still deserves the chance to compete IMO.

The big factor in all this is the inside info we have on Flynn and Tannehill. So if we're committed to either of these kids (or both) I think that’s good news because it’s based on some very sound evidence. Right or wrong, I get the feeling this org has the best overall composition to solve our QB dilemma in an efficient, if not spectacular, way.

And I still think we’re going to be a balanced to slightly run more than pass offense simply because we’re not going to have a one man team at QB. And if that’s part of the core plan, which I fully expect it to be, then the OL is still #1 (or 1b) priority.

Right now I think we could go OT, QB, WR or DE in R1 and they all make equal sense in a way. That’s good for us because we don’t have to tip our hand and we can afford to let the board come to us – and if (???) the price is right, I still think we could trade down.

But yea, landing Flynn certainly gives us more draft day latitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 11:29AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:08PM

Dude, I've been a fan since 1983. I have a right as a fan not to be happy when the team continously goes into phreaking rebuilding mode. Get me at least a chance at a franchise QB and I'm totally cool.

As far as Marshall goes, I'm cool with that now as long as we draft some replacements. "Ghetto Gangsta Nut Cases" and "I'm the ONLY guy to throw the ball to Divas" exit stage left. Who knows if it wasn't for that as*hole, Hartline might be playing like Welker now.

I'm not leaving the Dolphins, just give me a chance to win....I'm not going down the road of "Suck for Luck" or next year "Flat for Matt" (Barkley).

I really agree with another poster, you gotta swing the bat to get a hit. Signing Flynn would go along way with me having faith next year.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 15, 2012 01:27PM

Flynn is on his way to Miami. He has officially set up his meeting.

That promptly ends any last Manning speculation to Miami.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 15, 2012 01:39PM

I really don't believe Manning was ever the target for Philbin at all. And I'm sure this was discussed way back in the interview process, and at that point Philbin's true evaluation of Flynn was put on the table. I'm not implying that was the reason he was hired, but he came with a ready made plan (that was realistic and affordable) to not only implement the "aggressive offense" Ross wanted but he had a trigger man in waiting.

Obviously this is still unsubstantiated but it makes too much sense to be ignored.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 15, 2012 01:43PM

Yea I think the entire Manning fiasco was all Ross.

I'm even willing to bet Ireland didnt want Manning. It was all Ross.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 15, 2012 02:01PM

Ross wants to sell Tickets.

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: March 15, 2012 02:20PM

bnf gotta say my favorite poster on here

Date: March 15, 2012 02:51PM

I think once again they've screwed this up...Flynn was in Destin (about 20 miles from me) just the other day. Why are they letting him fly to Seattle. Pete Carroll is in his second year with the Sea Hawks, and he barely missed the playoffs last year. He needs to at least make the playoffs next year, if not go all out and use his influence being from USC to get Barkley.

He's not going to let Flynn leave, they have way more cap space than us, and this is about Pete Carroll's job.

Ceasar Ross and Brutus Irelandius have screwed us again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 02:52PM by chrisnnavarre.

Date: March 15, 2012 02:57PM

we'll see. you gotta think all things being equal flynn would want to play here with philbin. his agent is not dumb enough to sign here without having another offer on the table from SEA. so I doubt there'd be any situation where he'd sign here as the 1 and only team he visited. He'll come here tomorrow with offer in hand, or at least call the team from SEA and let us know the offer. If we say no way (possible depending on how crazy the offer is) he won't leave SEA. Otherwise he'll make the trip.

Date: March 15, 2012 03:20PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> we'll see. you gotta think all things being equal
> flynn would want to play here with philbin. his
> agent is not dumb enough to sign here without
> having another offer on the table from SEA. so I
> doubt there'd be any situation where he'd sign
> here as the 1 and only team he visited. He'll come
> here tomorrow with offer in hand, or at least call
> the team from SEA and let us know the offer. If we
> say no way (possible depending on how crazy the
> offer is) he won't leave SEA. Otherwise he'll make
> the trip.

The offer is NOT going to be what Brutus Irelandius had in mind. So say hello to Hasslebeck (I agree with the other poster), and goodbye to Moore. Hasslebeck won't come cheap neither. Then we go all out for Tannehill in the first, maybe even trading away one or both of those thirds. THEN we have to hope we can come across a decent receiver latter on in the draft, and somehow shore up the right side of the line.

This whole Manning and Marshall fiasco has caused us to completely rebuild our offense, vice plugging in a decent QB. (Marshall fiasco was probably unavoidable).

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 15, 2012 03:28PM

chrisnnavarre Wrote:
> I think once again they've screwed this up...Flynn
> was in Destin (about 20 miles from me) just the
> other day. Why are they letting him fly to
> Seattle. Pete Carroll is in his second year with
> the Sea Hawks, and he barely missed the playoffs
> last year. He needs to at least make the playoffs
> next year, if not go all out and use his influence
> being from USC to get Barkley.
>
> He's not going to let Flynn leave, they have way
> more cap space than us, and this is about Pete
> Carroll's job.
>
> Ceasar Ross and Brutus Irelandius have screwed us
> again.

-----------------------------------------------------

Why are you so keen on Flynn? He hasn't done anything, IMO, to warrant wanting him so bad. How can you base his importance on two games? He was also a 7th round draftee; that alone speaks volumes.

As you can see, I'm not a Flynn fan. I think Moore is a better QB and can hold the fort until Miami finds that franchise guy. Moore is also cheaper.

Given a good surrounding cast, Moore can get the Fins to the playoffs. Is he a guy that can carry the team on his shoulders? No, but he can get the job done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami makes a move up for Tannehill, depending of course, on how committed the Miami brass is towards him.

Date: March 15, 2012 03:45PM

why the hell would we get rid of moore in any of these scenarios?

Date: March 15, 2012 03:46PM

No. 1, he won a National Championship at LSU (an SEC team).

No. 2 he's played years behind Arron Rodgers. One of the best QBs in the NFL.

No 3. he has started NFL games, (maybe only two), but he did well including throwing for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns (a Greenbay record) against Detroit who has a very stiff defense.

No 4. our current HC at the Dolphins trained him as Offensive Coordinator there.

No 5. he's only 26 years old and if it works out could be our solution for the next 8-9 years.

Now please you give me five reasons to get excited about Tannehill for the 2012 season.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 03:49PM by chrisnnavarre.

Date: March 15, 2012 03:57PM

Flynn and Tannehill are both risky IMO, BUT they both have a huge upside in that our new coaching staff has extensive knowledge of their skills and warts. Flynn will cost a lot more but allows us to use our #1 draft choice elsewhere, Tannehill will come cheaper but cost us our #1 pick, I'll trust Philbin/Sherman on this one.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 15, 2012 05:55PM

Chris: I'm on board with Flynn as everyone here knows but here are five reasons to want Tannehill...which I do, even if we sign Flynn.

1. Superior athletic ability, and toughness.

2. Accuraccy, and he hits receivers when they come open, even when covered.

3. Strong arm, he can make all of the throws.

4. Learned under Sherman who is our OC and is familiar with our system.

5. Has improved every year, regardless of the position he's been asked to play. He's unselfish, a good leader, is smart, he's cool in the pocket and has great awareness, he's big, and fast, he's only 23 so he could easilly be the guy for 10-12 years, maybe even more.

Tannehill is a good pick for us and would be a great choice as an immediate back-up to Matt Flynn if Moore is released, or as a #3 guy to learn behind Flynn and Moore...those guys would only serve to make him better a year or two from now when he's ready to compete for the starters job. Or we could simply let him start and learn on the fly...I don't personally condone that though. I don't care if we'd have to take him at #8 and not get an immediate return on him...I still want him in a Phins uniform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 06:34PM by Ken.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.