HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The dreaded "R" word.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The dreaded "R" word.
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:23AM

Ireland can say what he wants, but this team is in full rebuilding mode. I wouldn't be shocked if there are other trades looming ahead. If I was guessing, I could see Dansby maybe shopped because I can't imagine Philbin is pleased with his constant griping not to mention the fact that he is far from being the best LB in the NFL (as he proclaimed last year). I don't know how I feel about rebuilding because I don't know whether I trust Ireland to be the architect of the rebuilding process. I don't loathe Ireland the way some fans do. Honestly, I think he's made some good moves and some really bad ones. I give him credit for bringing Reggie Bush to Miami (a good move that I wasn't at all sure of at the time). I credit him with not giving away the farm for Matt Flynn or Kyle Orton (moves that earlier regimes might have done all too readily). I'm optimistic about picks like Pouncey, Clay, Jimmy Williams. On the other hand, Daniel Thomas and Clyde Gates were probably reaches that may not pan out. I do think that your franchise will be as good as the draft picks you make so having multiple picks is good in that as much as we all want to say we're experts in picking players, a lot of it is a crap shoot. The more picks you have, the better the chance of lucking out with a Zach Thomas or a Jason Taylor. Is Belichick really that great at drafting players or is it that he has more picks than anyone else and therefore maximizes the possibility of finding a hidden gem. Let's be honest, Belichick didn't know that Brady would be Brady when he drafted him in the 6th round. If he did, he wouldn't have waited until the 6th round to draft him. I guess we will have to see how this all plays out. One thing that I'm prepared for is a long and likely ugly season. I can deal with that if it means the foundation is being set for future success and an ultimate championship. Whether that will happen is anybody's guess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The dreaded "R" word.
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:34AM

Everyone should have realized we were rebuilding when they hired a new coach and drafted a QB in round one.

As for trading Dansby, not many teams could afford to take on his $12.5M salary this year.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:40AM

Yes, I hadn't thought about his salary as an impediment.

I guess I knew that we were to some degree rebuilding, just not to this extent. Hey, maybe they're right and this is the best way to change the culture of losing. Nothing else has worked.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:48AM

Yes, we are in rebuild mode yet again, this is not being negative just the fact we cant find a coach to stay more than a few years. So lets see if Philbin stays long enough where he can rebuild this team correctly.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: August 28, 2012 05:06AM

I don't mind 'Rebuilding Mode' I just mind being in it for 10 years and and STILL not being Rebuilt.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:13AM

KB > I don't mind 'Rebuilding Mode' I just mind being in it for 10 years and and STILL not being Rebuilt.

So very well said !!!!

That being said - Philbin deserves his turn at it.
- Parcels laid an egg (multiple)
- Sparano was one of those eggs

Still some left over vets that don't think they need to work to earn the position
- Bye Vonte
- Bye most of the WRs
- Bye to the remaining vets that don't think you need to be in shape to play in September (most of last year's team)

Keep the good ones and reload Philbin. Ireland get us some WRs and give RT some playing time with quality receivers this year ... oh add in a new TE while you are at it.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:45AM

Date: August 28, 2012 07:56AM

Lets just say I'm looking forward to the 2015 season..........eye rolling smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 28, 2012 08:00AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ireland has definitely had his brain fart moments
> but how many teams out there have done better
> personnel wise from 2010 to the present?
>

AYFKM?

The proof is on the field. This team is in constant rebuilding mode. Ireland just traded away one of his first rounders, and no one on this team he has drafted - NO ONE DRAFTED SINCE 2009 - has as much as made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. He has draftees have made little impact in games and all have careers that have dropped into oblivion.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:18AM

I'm not a Fireland guy, but for me, it's an incomplete evaluation of his drafting (not including his FA portion of personnel). It only evaluates the picks he made. It doesn't evaluate what was available when he made the pick or what might have been available had he stayed at a pick. Also, it seems like he gives some players more benefit of the doubt than I might, but that's probably splitting hairs.

What stands out to me is that 5 is our top score, and we only have 3 of those...only one still with the team. And, Vontae's 5 was a 'bump up'. In all those drafts, we have just one true pro-bowler, 3 "solid starters" (and I don't know that Odrick has earned that 100% quite yet and we just traded Vontae). Moreover, "solid starter" for the Dolphins doesn't necessarily translate to solid starter for a perennial playoff contender. And it treats every position as equal when we know a solid QB is more valuable than, say, a solid starting right tackle.

For me, the analysis defends him by showing he hasn't made that many huge mistakes. I would say that he has been too conservative and not taken enough chances on greatness. I think much of that has come from the Trifecta and those he was tasked with working with (Sparano). I give him credit for the FA QB moves he hasn't made and the selection of Tannehill. And, I like that he's seemingly in step with Philbin regarding the vision for the team.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:39AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moreover, "solid starter" for the Dolphins doesn't
> necessarily translate to solid starter for a perennial
> playoff contender.

That is the crux of the problem.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:45AM

So instead of using the same ole line why not answer the question? Anyone can identify problems after they happen. It's not as easy to find solutions.

Look again at what you quoted from me. It was a question not a statement.

That's how you judge a players performance? On if they made it to the PB? How many players make it to the PB? 40 out of 1600? .0025%

There are plenty of impact players that don't make it to the PB every year. So Maurice Pouncy didn't make an impact?

Beside my question wasn't about Ireland being great. It was "how many are better that are currently GM's?"

Everyone wants to bash management but no one offers facts to back it up. Just general statements. If you're going to constantly bash someone then at least present some logical facts that compare him to his peers.

I am just guessing but I would imagine he does not rank in the bottom.

I know he takes a lot of heat partially over the frustration of the incompetence over the last 10 years before he got here.

Like I said before I am not a big fan of his but I am willing to see what his two solo drafts produce before condemning him too much.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 28, 2012 10:31AM

For me, the successful ones are probably the ones who (1) serve teams with a real vision for winning and (2) are in lock-step with coaches regarding the talent required to execute on the vision. I think it's really hard to completely evaluate a GM apart from the coach.

I think it's a decent bet to say that Philbin knows what it takes to win in today's NFL. I truly believe that Parcells jammed his circa-80's, cookie-cutter approach down his peeps' throats and that Tony simply wasn't smart or good enough to break out of that mold. So, the team ends up with some real talent in some areas and a lack of talent in the areas critical for success in today's NFL. Sparano and his staff didn't seem to really be able to coach up individual players, so I'm guessing a lot of talent was wasted. If you don't have Peyton Manning, then you have to have the right coach in place. At the end of 2010, Ireland didn't have either, which is why he tried to get rid of Tony.

His 2011 draft sort of shows him with one leg on each side of the fence - OL with his first rounder, but Gates and Clay with 2 of his next 3 picks. It's like he realized the team needed speed and versatile receiving threats, but he picked the safe OL guy Tony probably wanted. Whether he actually picked the right players or not (and if Philbin & co. can develop them), I think the 2012 draft was at least directionally correct in a big way.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 28, 2012 12:44PM

I know it sucks to have to suffer through another loosing season, but if I am the coach, I would sure as hell start rebuilding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.