HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I feel a draft!!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I feel a draft!!!
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 03, 2012 05:55AM

All of these college bowl games have me in full draft mode. April can't get here soon enough.

Here are some of the guys I'd be very excited about having on our team next year focusing on likely 1st or 2nd day selections...

QB: Luck or RG III if we can trade up but unlikely. Both will be stars. Landry Jones if we traded down 8-10 spots, assuming he comes out. Wheeden in the 2nd or 3rd, after trading down and adding pick(s).

RB: Not really a need. As much as I love Lamar Miller and Trent Richardson...if we take a RB in the first 3 rounds I'll be pretty pissed. Would love a mid-late round flyer on either of the Texas A&M backs: Cyrus Gray or Cristene Michael.

TE: Love Dwayne Allen from Clemson. Most complete TE in the draft. Love Coby Fleener. I think he can be had in round 2 or 3 and he is a perfect compliment to what we have at TE already.

WR: Balckmon is a stud. As I said in another thread...best hands I've seen since Chris Carter. If we traded back from #8/9 and took Michel Floyd mid-late 1st round I'd be cool with that as well. Even so, if we didn't get Blackmon, the one WR in the draft that I'd REALLY want to go get is Dwight Jones from UNC. Kid is terrific and his speed compliments our current WR corps.

OT: Kalil will be long gone by the time we pick. I'm not a Johnathan Martin fan. I watch film on him and I just don't see it. If we drafted an OT at our current spot in round 1 I'd want Reif Reilley from Iowa. I think he's going to be excellent. If we went OT in round 2-3 I'd be thrilled with Mike Adams from Ohio State or matt Reynolds from BYU.

G/C: We really don't need a C with Pouncey on the roster but chances are if we took one he'd be playing guard. That said there are two G's in this draft I'd love to have: David Decastro from Stanford and Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State. DeCastro is awesome. Great pulling guard and exceptional quickness off the snap to get to the 2nd level. Osemele is a HUGE mauler with great feet. Either of these guys in the late 1st or early 2nd would be a steal and a starter at RG for the next 10 years.

DL: Not interested in any DL in the first 3 rounds. Could change if Soliai leaves but even then, not in love with the NT prospects in this draft.

OLB: I think we need TWO OLB's this off-season (assuming we stay with the 3-4 base Def). Move Misi inside. Bring in a veteran in free agency and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. My two favorite OLB's at this moment are Nick Perry from USC and Vinny Curry from Marshall, both of whom have the size and speed to be terrific in our scheme.

ILB: Great year for ILB prospects. But we don't need one. I suppose if one of the top 3 fell to us in round 2 I'd have to pull the trigger, (especially Vontaze Burfict) but not a priority for us.

DB: Cb really isn't a need for us, at least not early in the draft. SS ad FS will be HUGE needs for us but this really isn't an impressive year for those positions in the draft. I might be inclined to take a shot on a guy in rounds 4-7 but not early in the draft. I'd look to FA to fill these spots.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I feel a draft!!!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 06:07AM

I really don't want to trade down this year. If go WR then I want it to be a game changer like Blackmon, otherwise I don't want to spend a high pick on one. Whoever we get, I want it to be an impact player. I don't want 2 "OK" players like we got with Odrick and Misi, when we could've had Earl Thomas, who made the Pro Bowl as a FS which is a position we are still trying to fill.
My top scenario--
(1) trade up for RG3 or Luck if at all possible
(2) stay put or move up a little to get Blackmon
(3) stay put and draft OL as long as it someone likely to be a 10 year/pro bowl caliber guy. Otherwise no more high picks on OL and try to fill it another way.
(4) if we can't do any of the above, move way down, take someone like Weedon and acquire many more picks
I am Ok with adding a guy like Flynn if we can't get#1

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 06:10AM

If we trade down we are screwed again. The only way we will get better is if we trade up.

Date: January 03, 2012 06:25AM

the only folks worth trading up for are luck, rg3, and blackmon. I can't see us trading picks to take a WR though. And luck and rg3 are probably not gonna happen. So that leaves staying put and taking the 2d best OT in the draft? yuck.

Date: January 03, 2012 06:27AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we trade down we are screwed again. The only
> way we will get better is if we trade up.

I would only trade up for a QB.

that's my plan A.

When that fails to happen because we don't have the assets it becomes a matter of value.

What am I going to get at 8/9 that I couldn't get at 18/19 and with whatever picks I get for trading down.

There are very good/great players taken in every round of every draft. the more picks you have the more chances you have of landing a few of them.

If you have a chance to draft a super star at #8/9 or you can get a QB by trading up...then do it.

If you can't...trading down is a very smart way to approach the draft.

Date: January 03, 2012 06:41AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> So that leaves staying put and
> taking the 2d best OT in the draft? yuck.

That's when we should trade down.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:12AM

Now that the season is over, what is Miami's draft position in Rd 1? 8th? 9th? 10th?

Date: January 03, 2012 07:26AM

8th or 9th, depending on a coin flip with CAR which is to be held in Feb. So we won't know for more than a month which it is.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:34AM

we will have a top 10 pick with no one there worth taking. That seems to happen to us every year.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 04:30PM

truth, why would you move misi inside? would you play him over Burnett?

im not sure Misi has the ability to move in space and cover TEs and RBs. i would rather keep him at OLB and add another OLB with pass rushing specialty. like what the 49ers did with Aldon Smith this year. they brought him along slowly playing him almost exclusively in pass rushing situations. kept it simple and let his athletic ability shine. i would be ok doing the same thing with curry or perry since they both specialize in pass rushing. we do need to add another ILB for depth though.

i like a lot of the prospects you mentioned.

Luck or RGIII if we can get them. i don't want Blackmon unless he fell to us. we have a lot of other needs to address first before spending extra picks to get him. i would be ok trading down for an OL. i think keleche from iowa state might last until our 2nd round pick. i would also be ok adding a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 03, 2012 04:47PM

I want Mercilus from Illinois, simply because that's a badass name for a football player. That's like a library cop named "Bookman"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 04:48PM by dolphaholic.

Date: January 03, 2012 05:38PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> truth, why would you move misi inside? would you
> play him over Burnett?
>

If I brought in two olb's I'd move misi inside. Best players play. If he's better than Burnett he plays. If not he's a back up at all lb spots.

> im not sure Misi has the ability to move in space
> and cover TEs and RBs. i would rather keep him at
> OLB and add another OLB with pass rushing
> specialty. like what the 49ers did with Aldon
> Smith this year. they brought him along slowly
> playing him almost exclusively in pass rushing
> situations. kept it simple and let his athletic
> ability shine. i would be ok doing the same thing
> with curry or perry since they both specialize in
> pass rushing. we do need to add another ILB for
> depth though.

You could b right. Could be he can't play inside. But I'd give him a shot there. If he can play there he becomes more valuable.

>

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:05PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 04, 2012 05:06AM

We need to package the farm to move up.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 04, 2012 07:00AM

Date: January 04, 2012 07:18AM

the problem with blackmon is there is no way he lasts until 8 or 9. So if we wanted him we'd need to trade up as well. I don't think we give up extra picks for a WR however.

Date: January 04, 2012 08:24AM

The only way that Blackmon last to us, is if Carolina picksafter us.

---------------------

Date: January 04, 2012 08:25AM

And thats still a small chance with Minny picking. Seems like a good fit there.

But definately if Carolina picks ahead of us, no way he makes it to us.

---------------------

Date: January 04, 2012 08:30AM

Assuming no tradeups, no way he gets past CLE or WAS (whichever one doesn't get RG3). And you're right, if CAR gets #8, the take him.

Man we are picking just low enough to end up with none of the superstars out of this draft class. typcial

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 04, 2012 08:31AM

Date: January 04, 2012 08:33AM

Blackmon with Cam Newton and Steve Smith (for a couple more years) would be sick!!!

---------------------

Date: January 04, 2012 12:15PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> And thats still a small chance with Minny picking.
> Seems like a good fit there.
>
> But definately if Carolina picks ahead of us, no
> way he makes it to us.

I think that someone trades up with st Lois so Qb's go 1 & w2.

I believe minny picks 3rd and th at they will grab Kalil.

Date: January 04, 2012 12:22PM

Date: January 04, 2012 02:14PM

Washington is going after a QB. End of story with them.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.