Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Zach Taylor alot of power in Tannehill decision?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Zach Taylor alot of power in Tannehill decision?
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:44AM

Last night on Hard Knocks, it was hard not to notice how much of the decision to start Tannehill seemed to be based on the support of assistant Qb coach... Zach Taylor.. You see a point when Sherman ask Taylor in front of Philbin if he thinks he sees Tannehill starting at some point, Zach and then Philbin say yes....
It surpised me how much confidence was placed in a 29 year old first time NFL coach at any position, who has only been coaching in total for 3 years or so ... Obviously Taylor has a relationship with Tannehill, where he coached Tannehill his first time as a coach, as an assistant for Mike Sherman at Texas A&M. I still wasnt completely sure what was going on, it seemed a bit odd, the whole situation of Zach Taylor and his role...
Then after trying to figure it out, I noticed something that stood out to me.... Guess who Zach Taylor happens to married to by coincidence or not..... Sara Sherman,,, Mike Shermans daughter.... Now it all makes a little more sense.... Lets hope Sara Sherman knows how to pick em....lol... I hope this guy is good at what he does and doesnt have the job because of who his father inlaw happens to be... lol... dont take the post to seriously just thought the whole thing was interesting and worth noting, not trying to knock the guy.... just asking questions

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zach Taylor alot of power in Tannehill decision?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:52AM

Yes. I remember when it was announced that Sherman hired his son-in-law. I found it weird.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 22, 2012 10:55AM

and you don't see the GM in the meetings either like you do with some teams like Dallas and Cincy.

Philbin said he trusts the people he hired to work under him.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 22, 2012 12:52PM

Date: August 22, 2012 02:07PM

I just find it interesting, I am not saying whether the guy is good or bad I have no idea, neither do you... But to think a 29 year old guy with 3 years total coaching experience, is the QB coach, doesnt have anything to do with the fact his father in law is the offensive cordinator you are the one who is pushing the pure nonsense... it is more like common sense, now what Taylor makes of the oppurtunity is up to him... We will see.....
On the other side of the situation, I would be bummed if I was Moore, it almost feels like the odds were stacked against him with his position coach already having a long term relationship with the guy he was competing against for the starting job....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 02:12PM by Crowder52.

Date: August 22, 2012 02:11PM

no different then suggesting Sparano having something to do with his son, getting the offensive quality control coach job last year. You think that had zero to do with his Dad's position?

Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 22, 2012 03:13PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 22, 2012 05:21PM

I had to read this twice thinking why the hell Zach Thomas would have any say so in Tannehill starting.......DOH

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: August 23, 2012 01:26AM

No different career wise than Mike Shula, Don Shula's son. He was an offensive assistant twice with the Dolphins starting out after being a college QB for the Crimson Tide.

Seemed to work out for us well back then. don't see how this is any different.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 23, 2012 03:00AM

Anyway...this show is edited and obviously doesn't show everything. He gave his input as I'm sure Mike Sherman did. Philbin took it under advisement and made a decision.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 23, 2012 03:24AM

Listen I think Ryan Tannehill is the best QB on our roster as far as potentially being a very good QB. So why not let him play, and see if he can develop into a pro bowler in the next few years. He certainly has the strongest arm, and has played in the same system for many years.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 23, 2012 05:40AM

I think there is much more to it than suggested ... the entire team is behind Tannehill and they certainly went way out of their way to make sure everyone got adequate number of reps.

Philbin would be crazy to not listen to his QB coach's input, and weigh it heavily. Does it mean the coach was biased? maybe but Garrard had the initial upper hand and it played out this way.

- Sounds legit and a good move overall to me.

Question is can the defense and Wrs corps support him enough to be successful?

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 23, 2012 10:29AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had to read this twice thinking why the hell
> Zach Thomas would have any say so in Tannehill
> starting.......DOH

ME TOO!

And it didn't help that the last name is TAYLOR, followed by the concept of in-laws working together on the Phins!

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 23, 2012 12:44PM

Hmm, the QB coach carried a lot of weight in the QB decision. I should hope so.

It only makes sense that Sherman would bring at least someone from him college staff to help him implement this offense. And he did.

I know some people think that Tannehill came out of nowhere thanks to pre-draft hype and was a reach at #8. But, reality is that Ireland was sky high on Tannehill after his junior year, and it was well known in league circles that Tannehill was going to be his guy. So, when they interview Joe Philbin, and they ask him who are some of the coaches you would look to hire, and he says "Mike Sherman," then the bells start going off. And the dots all connect. You can draft Tannehill, bring in his offensive coordinator and his QB coach, and create a very unique situation for a rookie QB. It all makes sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.