HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who is ready for Hard Knocks II ?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who is ready for Hard Knocks II ? smileys with beer
Date: August 14, 2012 01:45PM

Last week was just a Teaser. This should be getting good now. thumbs up

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who is ready for Hard Knocks II ? smileys with beer
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 01:47PM

they show 85 getting cut. that will be very interesting. still think team is better off not having all this filmed, but can't deny it is great TV if you are a phins fan

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 14, 2012 03:13PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they show 85 getting cut. that will be very
> interesting. still think team is better off not
> having all this filmed, but can't deny it is great
> TV if you are a phins fan

Yeah, I still think this whole hard knocks thing was a mistake for this team, this year.

But its too late now.

Date: August 14, 2012 05:55PM

Hey its a Train Wreck......But like any good wreck, you just can't stop looking , no matter how bad.

Date: August 14, 2012 06:09PM

was kinda sad for chad, watching him get cut

Posted by: Dolfan1976 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 06:32PM

Berk I agree it was kinda sad. As a manager I had to let my fair share of people go and it is never fun. You could tell it was not easy for Philbin either he seemed very uneasy continually tapping his fingers on the sofa.

Date: August 14, 2012 06:43PM

once again I worry about philbin's body language and tone. he seems totally uncomfortable dealing 1 on 1 with players (at least johnson the 2 interactions). The assistant coaches like Sherman, Campbell, and that townie Masshole who coaches the OL have the kind of presence I associate with a HC. That's my one worry about philbin---very smart and organized, but can he command fear and respect in his players?

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 14, 2012 07:15PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> once again I worry about philbin's body language
> and tone. he seems totally uncomfortable dealing 1
> on 1 with players (at least johnson the 2
> interactions). The assistant coaches like Sherman,
> Campbell, and that townie Masshole who coaches the
> OL have the kind of presence I associate with a
> HC. That's my one worry about philbin---very smart
> and organized, but can he command fear and respect
> in his players?

But Philbin stuck to his guns and despite Chad's childlike pleading, he sent him packing. He seemed uncomfortable because it is not easy to do and nobody takes pleasure in firing someone. Philbin wants to be a professional and I think he handled that way.

As for Chad, I read somewhere that during the incident, he repeatedly said he doesn't give a shit about his career. If that is true, then he sealed his fate with those words. His begging for his job back reminded me of so many of my students promising that if I don't call home, they promise they will never get in trouble again. Those are the most empty of promises there are.

Also there have been claims that Chad has been some marketing genius. He isn't a genius, he is stupid. I can't believe anyone was really laughing with him, but, more so, at him. Like they often do, the media set him up like a bowling pin. Strike.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: August 14, 2012 08:37PM

I think the show rocks!
HBO does a great job with the production and editing.
I enjoy getting to know the coaches and players better.
Great move bringing in HBO, awesome for branding and publicity.
Whoever thinks this was a mistake and a train wreck, they're way off.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 15, 2012 03:10AM

The day you become comfortable having to fire someone (stop caring) is the day you become a jaded a-hole.

I like the way Philbin handles himself. You can send a message without acting like an arrogant tyrant. He fired CJ. Message received by all I'm sure.

Just because he is uncomfortable in that situation doesn't mean he's unconfortable "dealing with players".

There are roles to play in any organization. Sherman plays the hard ass. Campbell pats them on the back and plays mediator. You can't have a-holes at every level. Some are disciplinarians. Some are not...Look at Tom Coughlin. He almost lost his entire team because he was such a tyrant all the time. He even admitted he had to change. The result? Winning the SuperBowl. Dick Vermeil was the nicest guy around and he was pretty successful.

I think you just have to be yourself. Try to be something you're not and people will recognize it. Then nobody respects you.

He seems like a good guy to me and I don't see him as soft. The guy has character. You don't have to act like Nick Saban to get respect.

Looks like he sent a clear message to me.

I'm gonna be fair but if you screw up or don't listen....you're gone.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 04:14AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> was kinda sad for chad, watching him get cut

I felt bad for the guy, I think him being cut will hurt Philbin relationship with the team... It reminds players how fragile their position and livelihood with the team really is under this coach.. It seemed completely opposite to how Philbin originally addressed the team regarding the situation... I am worried Philbin reminds me a little bit to much like cam Cameron.. Showing compassion can be a sign of strength. When Philbin said I am not doin this to make an example of you, it almost seemed like he was and didn't want it to be characterized that way, but why even say it? Saying it almost was a Freudian slip of what he was trying to deny... If it was about his play he should have cut him during the first cuts, and not following the incident.. I am worried about this coach already, not a good sign........

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 15, 2012 04:39AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> ..... and that townie Masshole who coaches the
> OL ....

LOL maybe I should be watching after all.....he's from Charlestown?

Date: August 15, 2012 04:45AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > was kinda sad for chad, watching him get cut
>
>
> I felt bad for the guy, I think him being cut will
> hurt Philbin relationship with the team...

Why is that? You mean the others still on the roster will realize that Philbin isn't their buddy, he's their boss? We've had 'buddy' coaches before: Sparano, Wannestedt...it doesn't work. It helps their relationship in the long run, IMO.

It
> reminds players how fragile their position and
> livelihood with the team really is under this
> coach..

Yep...as it should. Such is life in the NFL.

It seemed completely opposite to how
> Philbin originally addressed the team regarding
> the situation... I am worried Philbin reminds me a
> little bit to much like cam Cameron..

Yikes.

Showing
> compassion can be a sign of strength. When Philbin
> said I am not doin this to make an example of you,

I hear you there....while I didn't see the show, I did hear this in an interview. He didn't do it *just* to make an example, but it's an unavoidable after effect of a cut like that.

> it almost seemed like he was and didn't want it to
> be characterized that way, but why even say it?
> Saying it almost was a Freudian slip of what he
> was trying to deny...

I don't think it was a freudian slip because I heard him say it to the press *and* on Jesse Agler's show. For him to repeat it at least two times, it can't have been a slip....poor choice of words maybe but not a slip.

If it was about his play he
> should have cut him during the first cuts, and not
> following the incident.. I am worried about this
> coach already, not a good sign........

Well it was still pretty early on. He may have been destined for the ax anyway, and all the off the field BS (headbutt, F-bombs, etc) hastened the decision.

This makes me a lot LESS worried about the coach. It's a good sign he's showing the team that "we don't need no clowns here." <---I'd love to find out who tweeted that

Date: August 15, 2012 05:00AM

JC Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> -----
> > ..... and that townie Masshole who coaches the
> > OL ....
>
> LOL maybe I should be watching after all.....he's
> from Charlestown?

He's from Braintree, I think. Kind of a bad ass, former Marine. Wicked huge accent.

Date: August 15, 2012 05:20AM

JC, he originally said it to Chad when he cut him. Alot of times you try and defend what you feel weak about, or overcompensate for something you don't feel strong about..
Also it is very easy for the players to feel that the coach and organization doesn't have their back, they just react. It does not endur the Players to the coach, alot of times it builds resentment an contempt for a heavy handed guy with power... If he ended Johnson's career and he went out like that on Hard knocks for everone to see, and at the same time our wr class doesn't play well, watch out. If guys like Berk or I feel bad for the guy after watching it last night, how do you think his teammates that saw it feel... Can't help but build resentment for the guy and organization that did it, and realize you could be him...IMO

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 15, 2012 06:12AM

Might be overanalyzing a bit. I think it happened and its over. They get paid LOTS of money to DO THEIR JOB...not get babysat.

I'm sure there are a lot of players that feel bad when their buddies get cut. Gotta be a pro and move on...

.....................................................................................

Date: August 15, 2012 06:21AM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 15, 2012 07:23AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> JC, he originally said it to Chad when he cut him.
> Alot of times you try and defend what you feel
> weak about, or overcompensate for something you
> don't feel strong about..
> Also it is very easy for the players to feel that
> the coach and organization doesn't have their
> back, they just react. It does not endur the
> Players to the coach, alot of times it builds
> resentment an contempt for a heavy handed guy with
> power... If he ended Johnson's career and he went
> out like that on Hard knocks for everone to see,
> and at the same time our wr class doesn't play
> well, watch out. If guys like Berk or I feel bad
> for the guy after watching it last night, how do
> you think his teammates that saw it feel... Can't
> help but build resentment for the guy and
> organization that did it, and realize you could be
> him...IMO

Wait a second. I thought you said Ireland was responsible for cutting Johnson? If that's the case why would any player harbor any resentment towards the Head Coach?

Date: August 15, 2012 07:51AM

touche

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 15, 2012 08:14AM

I can't believe anybody would question cutting a guy who just opened up a 3 stitch gash on a womans headeye popping smiley, i've been in many battles with many different women and never even thought about turning it physical, and if I thought it was going that route I got the hell out of dodge before it did. What did this guy do in a Dolphins uni to warrant any kind of second chance again?????????

Date: August 15, 2012 08:15AM

I agree , Chad Johnson was sad to watch. He is not a bad guy and never really got in any trouble before but he is definitely a distraction to the Team. I think they have some good young recievers with a future and they just didn't think all the attention he brings was worth a rooster spot. On top of that , he should have had that first down.

As far as philbin goes, I like his style. He's the General, let his soldiers do the barking. I love Sherman. That guy does not F around. That tight end coach looks like he can pad up and play himself. He handles buisness.

And is it just me..........But Jake Longs wife might be Hotter then Tanny's? smiling smiley

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 15, 2012 08:33AM

One guy that endeared himself to me was D Garrard, I like his deameanor and leadership qualities, hope he gets healthy and sticks around.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 09:00AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> One guy that endeared himself to me was D Garrard,
> I like his deameanor and leadership qualities,
> hope he gets healthy and sticks around.

gerard is at the end of his career. I hope that tannehill has the same capabilities as gerard as far as his demeanor and leathership.

Date: August 15, 2012 09:01AM

Les Brown's GF is pretty freaking hot too. Lauren Tannehill is hotter than Long's wife, however.

Date: August 15, 2012 09:03AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Wait a second. I thought you said Ireland was
> responsible for cutting Johnson? If that's the
> case why would any player harbor any resentment
> towards the Head Coach?

Really? You dont know? Or are you just playing dumb to it for the sake of argument.... Obviously becasue the coach did not stand behind the player.....
WIll Allen was arrested for DUI under Ireland, wasnt cut. Phillip Merling arrested for aggravated battery on his pregnant wife he wasnt cut immediately follwing the incident Tony MCdaniel was arrested for Domestic Battery of his girlfriend, his second charge against a woman following a college arrest for the same crime against a woman...Tony Mcdaniels is still on the roster today...
Chad got booted, what do you think the difference is? Sparano stood behind those players and Philbin did not... Why do you think players played so hard for Sparano and had his back right up until the end. There is a difference, we shall see how it plays out, but I personally have obvious concerns over whether players will feel Philbin has their back, stand behind him, and play hard for him, for reasons stated above.... It reminds me of Cameron being oblivious to how his leadership affected the team...
On a positive note, I believe it was Keith Simms, said the other day, that when JJ came in, his first training camp at the end, he cut Jack Del Rio, it really upset the veterans in the locker room, that JJ cut a veterant leader like Del Rio, for some unknown undersized slow guy, and there was dissention in the locker room about it, He said it wound up being one of his best moves, and the team soon bought in, the player that Del Rio was cut for, Zach Thomas..... So I will wait and see, but I am nervous at this point about the leadership and the team....

Nietzsche

Date: August 15, 2012 09:11AM

if chad (1) played better in practice/game 1 and (2) was otherwise quiet and kept his mouth shut, he'd still be on the team. This was the straw the broke the camel's back. Couple that with the fact that (due to TV) everyone in the nation knew that Philbin basically told Chad that if he embarassed the team again he was gone, the decision was one that had to be made.
you can't really compare this to any of the prior "off field" incidents with players who did not get cut. They were better players and/or did not previosuly embarrass the team

Date: August 15, 2012 09:12AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> One guy that endeared himself to me was D Garrard,
> I like his deameanor and leadership qualities,
> hope he gets healthy and sticks around.

Yeah, I liked Garrard, and so did the coaches and GM, the look on Ireland and Philbins faces when they found out he was out, was very telling... It sure wasnt a face that said no problem, he was going to ride the pine anyways, because our rookie looks ready.lol..It was an oh sh*t not again at least from Ireland... It reminded me of Pennington, striving to get back and never making it..
I hope Garrard gets a chance and is able to stay healthy...

Nietzsche

Date: August 15, 2012 09:14AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> if chad (1) played better in practice/game 1 and
> (2) was otherwise quiet and kept his mouth shut,
> he'd still be on the team. This was the straw the
> broke the camel's back. Couple that with the fact
> that (due to TV) everyone in the nation knew that
> Philbin basically told Chad that if he embarassed
> the team again he was gone, the decision was one
> that had to be made.
> you can't really compare this to any of the prior
> "off field" incidents with players who did not
> get cut. They were better players and/or did not
> previosuly embarrass the team

Phillip merling and Tony Mcdaniel at the time of thier arrests, were not better players... Merling had been lackluster, and was coming off a achilles injury and Mcdaniels was not a starter...Merling was a mess since the day we drafted him with a sports hernia....

Nietzsche

Date: August 15, 2012 09:22AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> JC Wrote:
> -----
> > berkeley223 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > ..... and that townie Masshole who coaches
> the
> > > OL ....
> >
> > LOL maybe I should be watching after
> all.....he's
> > from Charlestown?
>
>
> He's from Braintree, I think. Kind of a bad ass,
> former Marine. Wicked huge accent.

Ok now I *must* watch this show lol.

Date: August 15, 2012 09:27AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> -----
> > if chad (1) played better in practice/game 1
> and
> > (2) was otherwise quiet and kept his mouth
> shut,
> > he'd still be on the team. This was the straw
> the
> > broke the camel's back. Couple that with the
> fact
> > that (due to TV) everyone in the nation knew
> that
> > Philbin basically told Chad that if he
> embarassed
> > the team again he was gone, the decision was
> one
> > that had to be made.
> > you can't really compare this to any of the
> prior
> > "off field" incidents with players who did not
> > get cut. They were better players and/or did
> not
> > previosuly embarrass the team
>
>
> Phillip merling and Tony Mcdaniel at the time of
> thier arrests, were not better players... Merling
> had been lackluster, and was coming off a achilles
> injury and Mcdaniels was not a starter...Merling
> was a mess since the day we drafted him with a
> sports hernia....

gotta disagree. first, neither were off-field headaches prior which was a major part of CJ getting cut.

Second, Merling while does/did suck, he was a former (essentially) first round pick and did have some flashes his rookie year--enough to keep him around on promise alone. McDaniels has always been a very solid player for this team. Chad on the other hand was a loud mouth who dropped passes and was coasting on what he did 3 years ago. he sucked for us.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.