HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Cam Newton - Natl Champ Game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cam Newton - Natl Champ Game
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:43PM

I expect an easy win for the SEC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cam Newton - Natl Champ Game
Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:58PM

Nice interception, Cam.

Date: January 10, 2011 04:06PM

Way to take a sack, Newton.

Date: January 10, 2011 04:07PM

LOL. You like him so far?

Date: January 10, 2011 04:17PM

He has had an incredible year for sure, but for all the hype, the reality is he has only played serious college ball for one year.

And people want to spend a 1st round draft pick on him?

Just you wait. If he bombs in this game, his draft stock will plummet.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 10, 2011 04:40PM

Easy win for the SEC?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 10, 2011 04:43PM

WOW....1 man can't bring Newton down....he drug that dude.

---------------------

Date: January 10, 2011 04:52PM

Oops.

So far - Newton does NOT look like an NFL QB.

Great athlete but his mechanics are CFL grade.

I'm surprised the Duck DL can hang so far...

Date: January 10, 2011 04:57PM

But, I will say this about Newton....

In the 2nd half, is when he comes alive. I will wait to see how his second half performance will be.

---------------------

Date: January 10, 2011 04:59PM

Nice. That worked.

I see Duck feathers starting to come off.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 05:19PM

16/22 180+yds 2td 1 int national championship game, I like the guy. The 1 year of big time ball bugs me a bit but what else does he have to prove? I think he is a first round talent,

Date: January 10, 2011 05:25PM

I'm sure you're right re 1st round.

His sucess in the NFL will have everything to do with his ability to incorporate coachng into his game. It will be the mental aspect that makes or breaks him IMO.

But with that said, he'll NEVER be in the class of PASSERS like Gabbert or Mallett IMO. He's a different kind of player from what I see.

But of course I reserve the right to be wrong.

Date: January 10, 2011 05:30PM

I do not there are any gm's or nfl scouts posting here.

Not sure what some folks see when Newton drops back and let's it go but I am seeing darts that make it to the wr quick and in a hurry. he gets the ball quicker than Gabbert and just as quick as Mallet, I have only seen Gabbert play three times but have seen Mallet at least 10 times over the course of his career. As a passer Cams completion ratio and td to int is pretty good.

Still 1 half to go .....

Date: January 10, 2011 05:35PM

Really. I thought Gabberts release and mechanics were as good as you'll see from college rock chuckers.

Newton seems to have a bit of a wind up on certain passes. He looks fast on certain throws and slow on others. Maybe it's my cable...

Date: January 10, 2011 05:49PM

Gabbert is the real deal when it comes to passing.

---------------------

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 06:48PM

Looks more like a TE . Not as good as vince young passing. Oregon has had terrible play calling adjusting to Auburns D

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:31PM

I wasn't impressed by this guy and I hope to hell we don't draft him.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:57PM

Like I said just say no to the chumps.

Everyone talks about a frachise QB, Lol funny, same people going well he is a work in progress, but I think he will be elite.

NEWSFLASH HE WONT ELITE!!!!!!

TO BIG, AND HEAVY TO BE A CAREER RUNNER!! Also prob not the brightest tool in the shed, if he was wouldnt he be a pro style pockett passer?

Just say no, and let another team overpay!!

I would take this guy in like the 4th, maybe 3rd round but thats it.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:09AM

Newton didn't look that good to me last night. I wouldn't touch him in the first round. Too much of a project.

Now I know we need a host of offensive positions but if Nick Fairley is around when we pick (never happen), I'd take that dude.

Date: January 11, 2011 04:27AM

I checked out early in the 4th. Newton missed a long TD pass and simple 3 yarder in enzone - both were TD's.

I get the feeling the kid is NOT a slacker like Jamoke Russell. But he's not NFL ready as a big-league PASSER IMO. Nice prospect but will require time on the shelf to ramp up his game.

In terms of immediate plug-and-play, not in the same category as Gabbert and Mallett. Not close...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 04:28AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 11, 2011 04:55AM

The most impressive stat Cam Newton had this year, is 7 times his team was behind in the 4th Qt, and 7 times he lead his team to a come from behind victory and against good teams... That is a quality that most guys with the "it" factor possess. Probably one of the most important qualities for a QB to have IMO.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:07AM

No it isnt, it is the second most important quality, throwing the damn ball where it needs to be at the right time is the most important quality.

His "It" factor is running ten yard to keep the drive alive, and again when was the last time a run first QB won the SB???

Posted by: KB ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:20AM

After last night here is what I think about Newton:

-Newton definitely has a strong arm. But not a rocket by NFL standards.

-He is a little less of a 'run first' guy than the highlight reels would have you to believe.

-Big and strong, but so are NFL linebackers smiling smiley

-Found open receivers sometimes under pressure but lets face facts...they were WIDE-E-OPEN. This doesn't happen a lot in the NFL. I didn't see anything pro or con to judge NFL-level accuracy by.

-Seems a good field leader.

The long and the short is, last night really didn't give me much to go on as far as Cam Newton's translation to the NFL.

Kind of felt sorry for the Ducks. They played well and if they had adjusted offensively a little earlier they may be celebrating today. Thomas out passed Newton as it was and if he hadn't been running for his life most of the night, who knows what his stats would have been. The Oregon receivers were FAST.

Two super defensive efforts though! Anyone like any of the defenders as lower round draft prospects?

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:31AM

From what I saw (and it wasn't much) I wouldn't move up to get Newton but if he fell to us @ #15 I would take him. Like someone else said (A&O or Phinsfan2?) he seems to be a little bit more of a risk/reward type of player. I would move up to get Mallet or Gabbert though but i'm not even sure how high i'd be willing to go to get them, maybe Dallas's #9 pick if they slid? If the scouts/Ireland/Sparano are completely sold maybe as high as #6?

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:33AM

There was one play that made me think he is indeed NFL ready, and I believe it was his second TD pass of the evening. The play I'm referring to was the one in which his receiver ran a wheel route to get past the linebacker covering him to basically jog into the end-zone.

It is obvious that the guy can run, and we all know that. However, on that play he showed that he has everything else necessary to succeed as well.

He stood tall in the pocket and kept his eyes down field, allowing the play to develop without trying to rush it. He moved well in a tight space, and he shifted his feet just enough to avoid the rush without feeling the need to take off. He then threw a nice touch pass to hit his wide open receiver in stride.

Very few college players are perfect, so in a sense they are all projects, but this guy impressed me. He can run. He can move well in small spaces. He has a sense of the defenders around him, and good presence. He has a strong arm, and with some tweaks to his mechanics he can probably become a bit more accurate.

Date: January 11, 2011 05:41AM

Cam shows enough in the passing game to make me a believer. He drops back, reads and thows nice tight passes do not stay in the air long. He takes time and read he is not quick to use his feet He is a good qb. Even on the pass where he under threw the receiver in the end zone the ball went thru the wr hands. The WR should have made that catch. The commentators were like Cam screwed up but that was a catchable ball.

Date: January 11, 2011 05:52AM

Date: January 11, 2011 05:57AM

Plus he did it all with more distractions around him and surrounding him then any College player in history...That shows me He can handle the pressure and perform better then anyone despite the odds were stacked in favor of him breaking down or letting it all get to him... It didn't....

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 11, 2011 06:17AM

Date: January 11, 2011 06:20AM

Crowder52 has a Cam conviction!

Gotta like that.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.