HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Wheeden named starting QB
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wheeden named starting QB
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 07, 2012 11:01AM

beating out Colt McCoy.

Wheeden was the 4th QB selected. Luck, the number 1, is sure to start.

Anybody hear anything about RGIII, the number 2 selected QB?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheeden named starting QB
Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 07, 2012 11:13AM

Tannehill should be happy that he was picked by Miami.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 07, 2012 11:29AM

Colt McCoy?

Who?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 07, 2012 11:30AM

RG3 was named the starter by WAS

Weedon got the job by virtue of not being Colt McCoy

Date: August 07, 2012 11:34AM

So 1, 2, and 4 were named starting QBs. That leaves no. 3.

Date: August 07, 2012 11:50AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tannehill should be happy that he was picked by
> Miami.

RESPONSE: There are many ways to interpret your comment. My question is "how so?"

If you think the Browns would have picked Tannehill had the Dolphins passed on him and both of them were around at Cleveland's no. 23 or so pick, their 2nd pick in the first round, I disagree.

Tannehill was picked by Miami because of Philbin and Philbin alone. No way he went that high to any other team.

Moreover, to bring the discussion around to its starting point, the fact that of the first 4 QB picks the only one not to win the starting job so far is Tannehill brings us back to the sore point with some of the people on this board.

That sore point is that Tannehill WILL HAVE TO SIT AND LEARN for the first season. When we say that, some other people on this board get upset. They feel we are putting Tannehill down.

They forget, however, that most observers always considered Tannehill to be a project. A talented project for sure but a project.

Date: August 07, 2012 12:04PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
> Tannehill was picked by Miami because of Philbin
> and Philbin alone. No way he went that high to
> any other team.
>

I think he was picked because of Ireland.

But I agree, no other team would have picked him that high.

> Moreover, to bring the discussion around to its
> starting point, the fact that of the first 4 QB
> picks the only one not to win the starting job so
> far is Tannehill brings us back to the sore point
> with some of the people on this board.
>

You're not a "true fan". "True fans" can't remind people of the facts.

> That sore point is that Tannehill WILL HAVE TO SIT
> AND LEARN for the first season. When we say that,
> some other people on this board get upset. They
> feel we are putting Tannehill down.
>

Yea. There is nothing worse than saying, "he'll have to sit for a year or two but he may be good." Treasonous speech, I tell you.

> They forget, however, that most observers always
> considered Tannehill to be a project. A talented
> project for sure but a project.

This isn't about what others think. This is about being a "true fan". Perception of reality outside of Dolphin fandom, and the existential reality that perception creates, that is all just a lie. "The truth" is RT needs to start game 1 of his rookie because he was picked #8 and that was higher than Marino, and that means he should be at least as good in his rookie year. At least that is the only thing a "true fan" can say without being questioned...

Date: August 07, 2012 12:17PM

As they say in the military, DolfanKing, I fully expect "incoming."

Posted by: dolfans1 ()
Date: August 07, 2012 01:06PM

It could also be because none of the other teams (Indy, Washington, Cleveland) have a starting caliber QB, and Miami has at least 1 in Garrard, and maybe 2 with Moore. I think if Miami had the other QBs those teams have Tannehill would be the starter on opening day too.

Date: August 07, 2012 01:39PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> As they say in the military, DolfanKing, I fully
> expect "incoming."

Don't worry. There will be a thousand Tannehill apologies coming from the "true fans". Sooner or later they will realize I was on target, when, back when we drafted him, I said he won't start. Then, later than that, they will begin to bash RT out of frustration that they were proven wrong about when Tannehill will start. They will turn into the haters they accuse me of, and I will have to defend RT from the same people that are saying I'm not a "true fan".

Mark my words.

Date: August 07, 2012 02:02PM

I know you're right. If you search my "draft era" comments back last April, I said the same thing, that those crying for his pick would be the loudest to denounce him for not being John Elway in his first year if he takes a little time to develop.

It's the same people. It's the "the quarterback is the whole team and no other position matters" people who demand that each year we draft a new quarterback until we do draft another Dan Marino.

But its interesting that they talk about how much Drew Brees sucked in his initial years at San Diego.

But history and time proved him to be the same DAMN GOOD quarterback from Purdue that I was screaming for this team to draft one year and we passed on him in the mid-20's only to see him go at the top of the second round to San Diego.

Date: August 07, 2012 02:18PM

cleveland wanted to take kendall wright over weedon, who wasn't even their first choice at their spot. I am pretty sure there is no way RT would have fallen to CLE's pick in the 20s. Rumor was that KC or SEA would have drafted him. RT would have gone before Weedon no matter what, by all accounts.

Date: August 07, 2012 04:01PM

I went back and read one article THAT APPEARED BEFORE LAST YEAR'S DRAFT that stated that the Chiefs might have an interest in RT if the Dolphins don't get him.

But Seattle was not realistically an option as they signed Matt Flynn on March 16, 2012, long before the draft. I doubt after having signed Flynn they then go and draft RT.

Date: August 07, 2012 04:37PM

maybe, but they took russell wilson in the 3d so anything's possible

Date: August 07, 2012 04:52PM

Just means we had Better Veterans......I'm sure weeden is no where as good as Tanehill will be. RGIII and Luck? No comment. eye rolling smiley

Date: August 07, 2012 05:02PM

You think Tannehill might be better than RGIII and Luck, Treasure?

History always surprises us so he very well may be.

Or, are you saying that you are not willing to comment on whether Weeden is not or IS better than Luck and/or RGIII?

Date: August 07, 2012 06:02PM

Tanny will be the better Choice then Weeden.

RGIII or LUCK? No Comment. Meaning, Those guys are Going to be hard to beat.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 07, 2012 06:55PM

It was interesting to hear that Bill Polian loved Tannehill coming out in the draft and thinks the Dolphins have an embarasment of riches at the quarterback spot.

I also heard Jonathan Martin mention that Tannehill is the best he has ever seen throwing on the run. This is coming from a guy that protected the blindside of Andrew Luck.

Date: August 07, 2012 07:08PM

Tannehill could very well be better than Luck or RGIII. You can never tell. He IS very good at throwing on the run. His play combines the running talents of RGIII and some of the passing skills of Luck. You just can't say at this point what will happen, one way or the other.

I say bring him along slowly. As for Wheeden, even in college he looked like the traditional pro set QB. He should start and integrate into the game more quickly than the other three because although they represent the future of NFL quarterbacking, Wheeden more represents the predominant past and present of NFL quarterbacking.

Date: August 07, 2012 10:27PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Tannehill could very well be better than Luck or
> RGIII. You can never tell. He IS very good at
> throwing on the run. His play combines the
> running talents of RGIII and some of the passing
> skills of Luck. You just can't say at this point
> what will happen, one way or the other.
>
> I say bring him along slowly. As for Wheeden,
> even in college he looked like the traditional pro
> set QB. He should start and integrate into the
> game more quickly than the other three because
> although they represent the future of NFL
> quarterbacking, Wheeden more represents the
> predominant past and present of NFL
> quarterbacking.

Exactly......which is another reason I said No comment. Just not going near that one. Those Two were some pretty special Prospects, in fact this draft just might turn out to out class 83'.........thumbs up

Date: August 08, 2012 04:18AM

How do we know how good a player is going to be when they havent played a down not even in pre season...

1. Luck can very well turn out another leaf. Or then again...manning.....And the rest can be said of Robert Griffith the 3rd and even tannehill.

But i tell you one thing.....A true fan be it a colts redskin or phin fan will stand behing the player and support him....At least until he stinks and gets released.

Date: August 08, 2012 04:25AM

And today ive becomed a true fan and ive learned how to spell gerards name...I mean gerrards name..'

OOPS i mean Garrard's name.

I is lost! smiling smiley

Date: August 08, 2012 04:25AM

You hear me mastah.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 08, 2012 05:00AM

The difference is that most of us will indeed bash him IF and WHEN he stinks....just like we did with Henne and Beck. That's what you're supposed to do.

We gave them a shot to prove themseves and they didn't. That's the time to call them out. AFTER not before.

Just because we get a little stoked about some very positive reports shouldn't offend anyone and cause the huge stir it has.

Everyone has their opinion. Mine is that RT will be a very good QB so sue me. Nothing has happened since he was drafted to change my mind. He missed 3 days of TC, came in and didn't miss a beat.

His own teammates were on the sideline in astonishment after his first practice because he had such a commanding presence and was telling vets where to line up and then threw the ball very well. In particular, on a broken play where he rolled to the right with very impressive speed and threw a dart to the endzone for a TD.

I am not saying he is going to be great but he has done nothing to show me won't be either. Same goes for RGIII and Luck. They have looked good in camp as well. Does it take away from Luck... the fact that he is playing against a first team defense that 8 out of 11 of them would be backups anywhere else? Our second team defense is probably as good as the Colts first.

There are no guarantees that Luck or Weeden or RG are going to be great or even successfull just because they played 20 more games in college. It could go either way for all 4 1st rounders.

Look at Dalton. He outperformed every first rounder except the 1st overall pick.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 08, 2012 05:27AM

Eesti quote: I am not saying he is going to be great but he has done nothing to show me he won't be either.

Agreed. That just about sums it up right there.

Date: August 08, 2012 08:20AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> You hear me mastah.

That's "massa," SamSam, the Sensible.

Date: August 08, 2012 08:48AM

I knew somone was going to go there...

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 09, 2012 08:37AM

The problem with Beck was he didn't get a real opportunity to learn.

5 Games, 60 Comp, 107 Att, 56.1 Comp%, 559 Yds, 5.22 Avg, 1 TD, 22 Lng, 3 Int, 5 Fum, 62.0 QB Rat.

Simply not enough time especially when you factor in a complete system, philosophy and coaching change.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 09, 2012 09:02AM

He didn't do much better in Washington under Shanahan when given the opportunity. Now in Houston for his 5th season. 30 years old.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 09, 2012 09:03AM

the probem with Beck is he SUCKED

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.