HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Starting O-Line
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Starting O-Line
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 01, 2012 10:34AM

Martin has been running exclusively with first team at RT while Hicks has been at RG.

Eric Steinbach is running with second team LG.

It would seem to me Steinbach may be a little more athletic than Incognito and Incog may be more of a RG. That's just my take though.

I wonder if it has even been tossed around for the unit to look like this...

LT Long
LG Steinbach
C Pouncey
RG Incog
RT Martin

As opposed to Steinbach switchin positions. Maybe he has lost a step but he has been a very durable player other than last year.

Otherwise I find it hard to believe Hicks will beat out Steinbach. He has never been that good and he is two years older than Eric S.

In any case I like the way our line is shaping up on paper. Should be much improved over last year even if Murtha ends up starting pver Martin which I doubt. Depth seems to be pretty decent as well with Murtha being able to play LT/RT and Martin as well.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting O-Line
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 01, 2012 10:49AM

i am tired of taking players who have been exclusively RGs and making them LGs, and vice versa. I think Incog was always a LG, but we made him a RG when reportedly LG was his better positon. And Steinbach was always a RG and we are making him a LG. It would be great if we could stick Steinbach at RG and Incog at LG, but then we'd have 3 all new positions on the OL, which is what the problem always was under Sporano. (apologizes if I am mixing up who was always a RG vs a LG, but you get my point)

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 01, 2012 11:21AM

Berk, I hear what you are saying but, our 1st string RT, played his entire college career at LT. Pouncey played guard up until his senior season, and switched to center, this is only his 3rd year ever playing center in college and pro's combined...
I think a strong well conditioned offensive line athlete , should be able to play more then one position on the line... If Long gets hurt, you could probably move Martin to the blind side in the blink of an eye.. I dont think you sit Martin at back-up LT, just to keep him at his original position... I think trying to put your best five linemen on the field is not a bad thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 01, 2012 11:26AM

I am OK with Martin at RT, since he has yet to play any position in the NFL and by all accounts can make the switch---and of course we have Long at LT so not gonna move him out. Pouncy played C his last year in college so I am OK with him at C here. I am talking about taking guys who played only 1 position in the NFL for a number of years (Inog, Steinback) and trying to force them to play another position. We've done it with other OL to, as I recall generally (not specific names).

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 01, 2012 11:41AM

If Incognito is a RG, and the more important guard position is the LG position in most offenses. And Incognito can play LG better then anyone else on your team, doesnt it make sense? Incognito played pretty well last year in only his second year at LG, better then he had ever played at RG. The reason for making those moves to me, is they obviously needed him at LG more then they needed him at RG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 02, 2012 03:31AM

I believe Incog was promarily a RG and did pretty well at the position. His only problem was his temper and stupid penalties which is why he kept getting released. He did move around a bit due to injuries.

He played LT in college and was moved to C for a very short time.

He was moved to LG in Miami out of necessity because we were weak at the position and drafted Jerry.

Obviously he is versatile enough to play several positions effectively but I always heard his strength was as a mauler and that he didn't pull very well. That's why I wondered why he wasn't put in a position to maximize his strengths. Better run blocker than pass protector.

Hopefully Jim Turner will get it sorted out and put the best 5 on the field.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 02, 2012 04:23PM

Mind you that Incognito doesn't think he deserves that rap. He will tell you that while he is big and stong, he is also quick and fast and a great pulling guard.

Date: August 03, 2012 09:11AM

The entire starting offensive line, including Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long, was feasted on by the first and second team defense during the final 11-on-11 period of practice. Long was so bothered by the sack he gave up to Olivier Vernon he tried to fight the rookie on the very next play. Omar kelly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.