HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do you guys believe in Henne
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do you guys believe in Henne
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 27, 2011 03:04PM

The question of the night really. I guess do you the fans think Henne can lead this franchise for the next 10 years or are we taking a QB with the 1st pick in the draft. My humble opinion is when Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jake Delhomme play better than you do when your team is favored to win it's time to move on. What do you guys think? Is Henne the future or soon to be the past.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you guys believe in Henne
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 27, 2011 03:26PM

Next year will tell.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:09PM

I really doubt they take a QB, unless it's a developmental guy later in the draft. I don't think they have the time and job security to develop another one. I think they will use their interest in the QB position to try to get someone to trade up with them. And I think they will addess competition for Henne with someone like Bulger or Hasselbeck.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:15PM

I think he deserves another shot.

Do you really think that our recent offense was QB friendly? I don't. It needed a road scholar to operate and often removed the QB from the field for some wildcat spark.

I believe that Henne will have a real shot at earning the starting position....as does John Beck for the Redskins.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:52PM

I'm NOT confident in Henne. He has the tools to be a good system QB, but I don't see us putting in a system that suits him.

Date: April 27, 2011 05:59PM

I think Henne might be one of the BEST 2nd or 3rd stringers in the league. He is NOT starter material. No personality, no urgency.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 27, 2011 08:00PM

Basically he needs hot sex with fat chicks, that always works!!

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 02:43AM

Simple answer: NO!

Having the tools and being able to use them are two different things. Could be the system he is playing in and could be some other factors, but when Thigpen went in and proved better, that says a lot.

He seems like a QB that needs a good RB and strong line. Being able to think quick on his feet is not his best tool.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 05:13AM

No

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 28, 2011 05:54AM

psalm462 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when Thigpen went in and proved better, that says
> a lot.
>
Refresh my memory. At what point did Thigpen look better than Henne last season?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:43AM

Say no to Hasselbeck....second coming of Trent scrambled eggs Green.

Henne will never be more than he has ever been....consistently inconsistent....same as he was in Michigan.

He should and will get a chance but he will get beat out by whoever they bring in....Thigpen would beat him out in a FAIR competition.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: April 28, 2011 07:12AM

I think Henne can be a great QB.

We need a deep threat though. Julio Jones / AJ Green talk to me

Date: April 28, 2011 11:27AM

Thigpen has the emotional stuff to win, you cannot deny a man who refuses to lose, it just doesnt happen.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 11:44AM

"refuses to lose"??? how many games has he won in the nfl? one?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 11:53AM

Date: April 28, 2011 11:55AM

Thigpen has 500 career passing attempts, and he's completing just 54% of his passes, for 6.4 yards per catch. He has thrown for at least 20 attempts in 14 career games. His team's W-L record in those games is 1-13. This is a guy who completed just 53% of his passes at Coastal Carolina. He's a scrappy guy with some talent, and he makes a decent backup. But, he is not a starter in the NFL, and he's not better than Chad Henne. He is too inaccurate to beat out anyone.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 11:59AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 28, 2011 12:14PM

Believe in Henne?

OMG you’ve GOT TO BE KIDDING? I mean seriously, what’s not to believe in after the amazing performance this football wunderkind stunned us fans with last year?

The accuracy, the touch, the leadership, the absolute command of the grid iron, the unending TD passes, the uncountable game-winning comebacks, the swagger, and of course, the unforgettable loaf of bread.

With Henna at QB we’re SuperBowl material for the next 10+ years. Buy your tickets NOW!

cool smiley

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 28, 2011 05:19PM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:18PM

Henne has the tools but he's a guy that will need some help to get things done. He isn't (to this point in his career at least) a guy that's going to take the team on his shoulders and will it to a win.

He needs some competition and we should have given it to him at #15 instead of taking Pouncey.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:20PM

At #15, you need a day 1 starter...not a project.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 28, 2011 06:51PM

There is no one in this draft who is going to beat out Henne this season. This regime doesn't have time to develop a guy over the next 3 years. Henne's competition will come via free agency.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 28, 2011 07:03PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote: At #15, you need a day 1 starter...not a project.

What's the rush dude? This team isn't going ANYWHERE! By the time they finish building the OL and DL it will be time rebuild all over again. We're NOT getting any futher down the road year after year...

Sorry. But that's the facts.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2011 02:48AM

Thats being ridiculously negative.

You build champions in the trenches. Look at the Packers last 5 drafts. They did get Rodgers, but alot of their drafts have been built on O-line and D-line.

I dont think any of the QB's this year are better than Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley coming out next year.

Why take one this year when you make a serious play on one of those two?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 29, 2011 02:54AM

Problem with next year is the Patriots AGAIN have two first round picks, and they will be looking at replacement QB to groom for a couple years.

So I wouldnt be shocked if they pull a trigger on one of though's two next year, why else would they keep trading away to acquire first round picks.

I don't like it...

Posted by: KB ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:20AM

Uhhh. NO.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:33AM

I think we trade up and take a QB in round 2 today or anothe impact player. I don't think Ireland will wait so long, and only pick once today. Perhaps we go after Mallett today in the 2nd round.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:53AM

Welcome to Miami Marc Bulger....

Not many options out there in FA.

Bulger was good when he had protection but struggled badly with a terrible line.

I really hope Buffalo doesn't get Kaepernik!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 29, 2011 05:08AM

Guy's we blew our load with Pouncy, we are not trading back into the second round, especially with teams like NE having three picks in the second today.

Date: April 29, 2011 05:58AM

A year ago at this time, most people felt pretty good about Chad Henne. He regressed in 2010, for sure. But, let's look at what happened.

Davone Bess had a career year. Anthony Fasano had a career year. Brian Hartline improved significantly from his rookie season. Brandon Marshall averaged the same 6.5 catches per game and 12 yards per catch that he averaged during his Denver tenure. Marshall and Bess combined for the most catches by a Miami duo. So, how is it that the guy throwing them the ball was so bad?

The Dolphins offensive line collapsed from 2009. In 2009, our starters earned the following grades from profootballfocus.com.

Long +28.7
Smiley +8.0
Grove +20.8
Garner +4.9
Carey +19.1

That was a terrific unit, one of the league's best.

In 2010, they did a 180.

Long +24.3
Incognito +4.1
Berger +1.3
Jerry -7.7/McQuistan -13.4
Carey -1.0

That is a massive, massive dropoff. If you want to know why our offense was worse in 2010, the O-line is by far the main reason. In 2009, Smiley, Grove, and Garner combined to allow 27 QB hits, sacks, or pressures. In 2010, Incognito, Berger, and Jerry combined to allowed 55 QB hits, sacks, or pressures. That's more than double. And that's allowing the pass rush up the middle, which no QB deals with very well.

The running game collapsed in 2010. A lot of that was the o-line, as documented above. Some of it was that both Ronnie and Ricky appeared to have lost a step or two. Some of it was Polite not playing very well. And some of it was the presence of Brandon Marshall. Yes, I'm serious. In 2009, Ted Ginn played the X, and he's awful, but he ran deep routes, and he took a safety with him. Marshall works within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. And with him and Bess as the primary targets, it keeps both safeties near the line, where it's easier for them to support the run.

And don't discount the negative impact Marshall had on the timing of the passing game. Henne would often stare down Marshall, waiting for him to get some separation (which even Marshall admits he didn't do a good job of in 2010). And the result was passes that got delivered late, whether it was to Marshall, or to the next read. The offense tried to force feed Marshall the ball, even though coverage didn't dictate it. This didn't help any at all. In the Raiders game, without Marshall, Henne did a much better job of getting the ball out on time. And he was better at in 2009. What changed? The presence of a diva receiver who demanded the ball even when he shouldn't get it.

Do I still believe in Henne? I hope he can be saved. I hope his confidence hasn't been shattered to the point where he doesn't believe in himself any more. But, people need to stop pretending that with a new QB, all our offensive woes are going to go away. Henne was not the worst part of our offense. And I didn't even mention the ultra conservative playcalling, or the total lack of a 2nd TE. With a better cast around him, Henne will be better in 2011. I expect they will bring in a veteran to compete with him. And don't be surprised if Henne beats him out.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.