HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Worst team in the NFL
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Worst team in the NFL
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: July 26, 2012 07:27AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst team in the NFL
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 26, 2012 07:59AM

Lol I like the fact that so many folks are underestimating us. I see the NY media has fogotten who knocked the Jets a**es right out of the playoffs last year. We will be better than we were last year.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: July 26, 2012 08:14AM

I hope you're right- I think you are. I get good vibes from Philbin and the stable of coaches he has. However, I must reserve judgment until I see them on a football field in pads- and maybe a preseason game or two.

Rick

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: July 26, 2012 09:10AM

Very difficult to see where the Fins will be this year.

New coaching staff, unsettled QB position, new offensive and defensive philosophy, etc.

The preseason MAY give us an indication of what our Fins will be all about, but even that is no guarantee.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 26, 2012 09:18AM

If he can guess so can I....

I rank them around the middle of the pack....15-16 range.

Denver will also be MUCH higher than where he has them.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 26, 2012 09:36AM

Date: July 26, 2012 09:40AM

The funny part is that Bob Glob was a Jets beat writer for 3 years and that's all he ever writes about. The Jets or Giants. Go Figure.

I must apologize to all you Jets writers/fans for kicking your ass for all those years...including knocking you out of the playoffs in 2011. My advice....Get used to it.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 26, 2012 10:11AM

I thought the Phins ended last season on the upswing. People don't think that we went 5-3 in the second half of the season. The 3 losses included a 1 point loss to DAL (in DAL) and a 3 pt loss to NE (@NE). We also had a 1 pt loss to the Giants. I would have felt better if we kept the last staff but still feel good w/ Philbin. I don't even think we need Tannehil in the first round. I think we go 8-8 at worst, 11-5 if things fall into place (ie one of the vet qb's take command, things click for some of the 2nd year players, right side of the oline gets it together etc.)

Date: July 26, 2012 10:15AM

Anyone know when Phins.com will be updating the schedule and roster?

Date: July 26, 2012 10:18AM

Oh that reminds me.... Tony Sparano is running the offense in NY. hahahahah! Sorry for your luck Sanchez.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: July 26, 2012 03:31PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I would have felt better if we kept the
> last staff

are you serious?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 26, 2012 04:40PM

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: July 26, 2012 08:38PM

The team will at worst perform about the same as last year's team, and it wasn't the worst last year. Though I'm not on board with people that think this team will be compete for a playoff spot, calling it the worst actually counts as bashing.

Realistically, the reporter who said this is a jack ass.

Date: July 27, 2012 05:20AM

> Realistically, the reporter who said this is a jack ass.

Right on to that!

Date: July 27, 2012 06:08AM

The team won 6 games last year after getting off to a horrendous start...mainly because of a lack of leadership.

Too many players were out of shape and couldn't make it through a game.

Henne tried to hold his own workouts but it was all for show. Not much gained there.

A loss to Colt McCoy and Cleveland? This was on very poor out of shape defense...mostly DB's. Will Allen, Sean Smith, Y bell got burned.

A Loss to Tim Tebow and the Broncos? THis was given away in the last minute and in OT. A sack of Moore in Denver territory given up by....that's right....our right side O-line. Columbo and co.

We have no mini camp and the league didn't sign a new CBA until Aug 5th.

Matt Moore was signed to be a backup around this time as Henne took all the starter reps for what was left of camp/preseason. Then we lose our starter 4 games into the season. Show me a team that performs well without their starting QB and I'll show you 10 that fail. Indy anyone?

Does anyone think NE would have another "Cassel" season if Brady goes down? With Brian Hoyer? I doubt it. The Giants led by David Carr? Green Bay led by Graham Harrell? Raven with Tyrod Taylor? Saints with Chase Daniel? Eagles with Mike Kafka? Now you're talking about 6-8 win teams even with all the other talent and established players and coaches.

Why does no one in the media acknowledge this?

Matt Moore basically walks in off the street to lead the out of shape Dolphins to 4 losses...not surprising. Then once they get in football shape and Moore has had a chance to absorb a new offense we go 6-3.

Now...we did improve and in addition got an entire off season and still no one thinks we will be better than the 6 wins we took last year? I say we take those 6 wins and even if we split the remaining 10, that would give us 11 wins. That's probably not likley but 9 or 10 is not out of the question.

We have a better line. Replaced Columbo with Murtha/Martin and just added a pretty decent Guard. We were ranked 11th in rushing last year and will have a healthier Jake Long. Less sacks this year especially with Garrard who can get rid of the ball.

Better and healthier RB's.

A Better secondary coach with Coyle.

An improving & young front 7. A defense better suited to get our best players on the field.

Even if our QB goes down again we are better off than the above mentioned teams as our depth is better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 06:21AM by eesti.

Date: July 27, 2012 07:03AM

That is not to say we don't have weaknesses:

On defense
1. Only one legit pass rusher
2. Lacking depth at DB, no 5th DB, and a big ? at one of our safety positions.

On Offense
1. At best, average QBs
2. Big ? on right side of line.
3. Depth at RB
4. No legit WR threats and no Depth at WR.
5. No depth at TE

Its not to say that this team doesn't have legitimate problems. But worst? That is nuts.

Date: July 27, 2012 07:08AM

At best...Pro Bowl QB. Garrard was there 2 yrs ago so that aint average.

Fewer questions on right side than last year.

Depth at RB? Seriously?

WR and TE depth? I would say we have questions there but it's early. We have at least one quality TE in Fasano. Not a Gonzo type but consistant. Clay is upcoming. we saw him perform last year.

Agree about pass rusher but I honesty believe Odrick can do it from DE. He had 6 last year in limited role.

DB's are the biggest question but at least we have coaching this year.

Date: July 27, 2012 07:28AM

eesti Wrote:
> At best...Pro Bowl QB. Garrard was there 2 yrs ago
> so that aint average.
>
> Fewer questions on right side than last year.
>
> Depth at RB? Seriously?
>
> WR and TE depth? I would say we have questions
> there but it's early. We have at least one quality
> TE in Fasano. Not a Gonzo type but consistant.
> Clay is upcoming. we saw him perform last year.
>
> Agree about pass rusher but I honesty believe
> Odrick can do it from DE. He had 6 last year in
> limited role.
>
> DB's are the biggest question but at least we have
> coaching this year.

You certainly have a glass half full assessment.

Depth at RB - Yes I'm serious. It is the toughest position, and most likely to get injured. So depth is a problem, i.e. who is going to step up after Reggie Bush? I don't think Thomas is the answer here.

As for Depth at WR, I don't see anyone after CJ, Bess, and Harline that is better than the practice squad player. For a team that will run a lot of multiple WR sets, I'm not seeing depth. We can "hope" that one WR will step it up - but that kind of hope is usually reserved for a 5th or 6th WR. Huge hole there.

I like Gerrard, and have said he will be the starting QB many times, the the puzzlement of many on this site. But I don't think his is more than an average QB, and with his ProBowl year in JAX, he benefited from having a great WR and RB on his team.

This team has problems on offense. Not the worst team in the NFL, but certainly in the lower third on offense.

Date: July 27, 2012 08:24AM

Date: July 27, 2012 08:42AM

eesti Wrote:
> Depth at RB - Yes I'm serious. It is the toughest
> position, and most likely to get injured. So depth
> is a problem, i.e. who is going to step up after
> Reggie Bush? I don't think Thomas is the answer
> here.
>
>
>
> I actually like Thomas. He had growing pains as a
> rookie but I like the way he runs and some say he
> fits better as a one cut RB in the new blocking
> scheme. We also have Miller who is a bigger
> version of Bush and probably faster. 1st round
> talent according to some.
>

I'm not as high on Thomas based on what I saw last year. I'm not sure that our blocking scheme is "one cut" rather it lends it self better to cut-back blocking. But it may work well for him, being upright he may see the cut-back better than most. We'll see.

> I agree Garrard is nothing special but I would say
> above average and efficient. I'll give you the
> great RB but WR? Really
>

Agree that he is efficient, and I put him in the class of Gus Frerotte, which didn't turn out bad. I like Gerrard, and hope he proves the critics wrong.

> Mike S Walker was the leading WR and had 869
> yards. Not great by any stretch of the
> imagination. That was his one and only good year
> and hasn't done anything since except get cut by 3
> teams. Some could argue that Garrard made him look
> that good.
>

Right here. I was thinking he had Smith. I sometimes get Jax and Carolina confused....

> Not that their aren't questions but my point is
> that we are improved over the 22nd ranked offense
> of 2011.
>

I'd be surprised if we see much change in that ranking this year. I expect the beginning of the season to be rough, and if Gerrard gets hurt (possible given the state of the OL), it would get ugly.

Date: July 27, 2012 09:12AM

Actually I was mistaken. Philpin said Slaton would be a great fit as a one cut runner in the new blocking scheme....not Daniels.

Date: July 29, 2012 09:55AM

Only way to go is Up. I was at the Last Dolphins game against the Jets and this team was coming on. Lots to look forward to. F the critics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.