HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          spread offense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
spread offense
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 05:20AM

everyone is complaining that the widespread use of the spread offense in college is hurting QB prospects b/c the top college QBs need to be concverted to a "pro style."
why can't NFL teams just run the spread? so many plays are run out of the shotgun by passing teams anyway....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spread offense
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 05:27AM

Well because I think teams want QB's who are smarter, and there is a huge bonus in money a team makes, when they get there franchise QB, versus a dumb kid, who can run a spread offense.

It puts a premium on a select few QB's, which weeds out the dummies, or just unatural leaderless guy's.

Date: February 12, 2011 05:35AM

no teams want a star QB period. if someone would be a star in a particular offense but not in another, why not run the offense suited to his skills? I know the answer is something like "it wouldn't work in the nfl, but I want to know why it wouldn't work? it's not like the wishbone or option where the QB will get killed and is totally 1-dimnesional---you can run out of the shotgun.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 12, 2011 05:50AM

In the spread offense, your QB gets hit, a lot. NFL teams don't want that happening. And the spread offense is usually quite simple as most college teams run it. The QB reads one guy, and if he's not open, the QB takes off and runs. That doesn't work in the NFL.

Date: February 12, 2011 06:20AM

Exactly Mark, weeds out the dummies.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 07:59AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 12, 2011 09:33AM

I ain't saying nothing. Just sitting back and watching you get ridiculed, berk.

Date: February 12, 2011 09:50AM

grow up, bob

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 12, 2011 09:57AM

I have. You need to. All I was doing was indicating that I was staying out of a fray when you were being made to look ridiculous.

Where you need to grow up is in your need, from the moment you found out my identity, to disagree with anything I say except for maybe that Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 10:02AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 13, 2011 04:11AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dolfanmark Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In the spread offense, your QB gets hit, a lot.
> > NFL teams don't want that happening. And the
> > spread offense is usually quite simple as most
> > college teams run it. The QB reads one guy, and
> if
> > he's not open, the QB takes off and runs. That
> > doesn't work in the NFL.
>
>
> Exactly right mark.

Yeah, pretty much.

NFL teams run aspects of it. But yeah, it’s dangerous for a QB, especially in the NFL, where the hitting is much more severe.

Berkeley, keep in mind strategy; in that once an offense is in the Spread, a given defense can pretty much be assured of a pass, thus, the offense loses the unpredictability advantage.

Another obstacle; the back set, in other words, a defense can key on a RB for play direction.

Also, the more receivers an offense has in a game, the less it is able to protect the point of attack.

And the Spread usually has the QB run, that’s a positive (two-back offense with only one back in the backfield), the negative is, the QB is getting hit by NFL defenses. Ouch.

A good offense might be able to overcome some of those problems, but even Cam Newton looked pretty banged up in the Championship game.

Date: February 13, 2011 05:38AM

thanks for the info---I read somewhere that the top passing QBs are out of the shotgun 60%+ of the time so it didn't seem like making that part of the set offense would be such a huge injury risk, but I see the argument

Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: February 13, 2011 03:24PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
but I want to know why
> it wouldn't work? it's not like the wishbone or
> option where the QB will get killed and is totally
> 1-dimnesional---you can run out of the shotgun.

The spread is based on the wishbone/ triple option offense just run from the shotgun or the pistol the QB gets hit just as much. It is a read option offense. The QB would take a beating.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 13, 2011 04:04PM

Not only would the QB take a beating.

But any decent D-Coordinator would absolutely shut that offense down.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 13, 2011 04:10PM

Hince why I think majority of college ball is bs.

The spread. geesh..

I mean doesnt anyone else feel sorry about these selfish teams, f.cking over these kids, because they don't set them up to play in the pro's?

Oh well

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: February 13, 2011 04:20PM

That's because you're incorrectly under the assumption that college football is the NFL's minor league.

It's not.

College teams have a responsibility to their fan base to win. Preparing kids for the pros is not a priority.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 13, 2011 05:30PM

I just say, remember the Run and Shoot? That didn't last long in the NFL.

Date: February 13, 2011 07:49PM

Lol Futt I understand College came first, and made the NFL what it is today.

However too many schools, divisions, and stupid rules, and reg's and so on that just ruin the college game for me, also its more tailored for the people attending the school.

Thats just my opinion, and nothing is going to change that, they have a BS bowl system, and stupid ranking system for the Heisman.

Its a f.cking scam in my eye's, thats why I don't care for it as much.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 13, 2011 10:16PM

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:47AM

You root for a Dolphin logo on the heads of ever changing players, coached by ever changing staffs, owned by ever changing billionaires, and you're calling the college game a scam?

If the Miami market was no longer able to sustain a fan base, the owner would move it in a heartbeat, don't kid yourself. (Or any city with a decreasing fan base, for that matter...) At least with college I know my team will always be around, so long as the school doesn't close, and that's not likely to happen.

Football is what it is...it's entertainment and it's fun to be passionate about it, but at the end of the day it exists to take money from your wallet.

Date: February 14, 2011 03:55PM

smileys with beerI'll drink to that.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:11AM

The spread came about for the athletic QB's to be able to play QB in college essentially dumbing down the game so that the more athletically gifted kid that might not have the smarts can play the position. Ala Tim Tebow and Terell Pryor just to name 2 off of the top of my head. Yes it makes the game more exciting for some fans and yes the QB's that run with the ball does open up the offenses, but it's not pure football it is some gimmick installed by an offensive coordinator to give guys like Pat White a chance to be a star in college. However it does not prepare them for the Pro's what it does is hinder them big time. Once your in that system it is very hard to make in a pro system because these QB's tend to run 1st and pass when absolutely necessary. That never pepares them for the Pro game, and it stunts their growth as QB's. This is my opinion, but most of what I sat is true, and will be proven in upcoming years.

Date: February 21, 2011 05:14AM

One more point I have never seen a player a player more overwhelmed when he took the football field at the pro level then Pat White. That my friends was suicide or something close to it. White should of played another position in college he just might still be in the league had he done just that.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:17AM

FORGET THE SPREAD lets go MAX PASS PROTECT on every pass-play!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:33AM

The bottom line its not the spread, every college qb will not convert to the NFL. Just as many pro set college qb's flop in the NFL than spread qb's. The myth that spread qb are dumb is just that a myth. It takes brains to run any college offense. College coaches want to win as quick as possible just like the nfl. Another problem is the nfl is no longer a development league. They do not want to pay someone to sit and learn anymore everyone wants instant results.

Pat White was a pretty good college qb and it should have stopped at that. The morons were the guys in our front office.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 06:52AM

Last time I checked the best team of the last decade, and their HOF coach, chooses to run the spread and was the first coach to bring the spread to th NFL. SO I am not sure what the people that say the spread will not work in the NFL are talking about. The spread is already in the NFL. And Tom Brady is no indestructable QB that can take tons of hits I guess they must be fools, becasue MIA, FInshady and DolfanMark, all say the spread doesnt belong in the NFL. SOme guy with a handful of superbowl rings might doubt your wisdom and position on this issue.
ALso I would remind you that Drew Brees and the saints won a superbowl, with having offensive schemes that could defintely be considered spread. and yes he played that way in college.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 06:57AM by Crowder52.

Date: February 21, 2011 07:31AM

No he didn't and Tom Brady does not run the spread this thread has deterioated into name calling and shear stupidity. Tom Brady a spread Qb I have heard it all now folks. Tom Brady hates to run with the ball what he is is a very accurate passer of which Cam Newton will never ever be at any level of football.

Date: February 21, 2011 09:17AM

TOm Brady and the Ne Patriots run the spread offense at different times, do you watch football. SO do the Saints and Brees. They all mainly use it as a passing formation but the way the lineman lineup, playcalling on the passing end is almost exact. They dont run the Spread option as Pat White ran alot of.
I dont recall calling you any names?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 09:26AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:42AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> smileys with beerI'll drink to that.

Yeah have a nice warm glass of milk. and get your butt in bed. You are grounded. No TV or super nintendo for you this week.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:27AM

SamSam is that your argument? Wow very insightfull!!!

Every team has, or will incorprate some form of the spread, what we are referring to, is that a pure spread offense will not work in the pros.

Just because the Pat's spread it out with 4, 5 wr sets, and use very little protection, because of a dominate O-line, doesnt mean they are a spread offense.

They might call some plays you could see in a spread offense, but lets get real.

Tebow isnt a stupid QB, by the way. Just saying, and also he is one of the best character guy's in the nfl, he has the never say die attitude, that a few on here think Newton has. Lol..... Except Tebow doesnt have a rap sheet as long as my 05 dodge ram quad cab. Lol

Date: February 21, 2011 11:41AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.