HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Excessive Celebration Penalty
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Excessive Celebration Penalty
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 06, 2011 02:10PM

Dude just picked of Rapelburger, and he ran it in for a pick six. He goes to his knees and does a zealot pose. Refs throw a flag for celebration. DURING THE SUPER BOWL. Horrible call, they should start fining these refs for stupidity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Excessive Celebration Penalty
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: February 06, 2011 03:06PM

It was not excessive. Its the damn superbowl. Geez

Posted by: Ct Fin Fan ()
Date: February 06, 2011 03:27PM

No way was that excessive.Come on man.No Fun League...

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 06, 2011 06:39PM

Didn't it figure? The whole game they kept trying to cheat for the Steelers like they gave Rothelisberger the ball back against us.

It was clear from that most controversial call of all that either the Packer caught the ball, fumbled it, and the Packers recovered the fumble or He caught the ball, was down and then fumbled after being down.

I thought the big question was whether he was down or not when he fumbled. I never doubted that it was a catch.

He caught it, grasped it to his stomach, took one step, was hit and being pulled down, one knee went down as he was simultaneously stripped.

So either a catch and a fumble or a catch and down by contact.

The refs ruled, "no catch."

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 06, 2011 06:42PM

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 06, 2011 09:34PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
----------------
Didn't it figure? The whole game they kept trying to cheat for the Steelers like they gave Rothelisberger the ball back against us

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that just maybe, it might be a tad far fetched to believe that there is a massive conspiracy going on in the NFL at the highest levels, wherein Roger Goddell, playing the role as Darth Vader of the NFL, secretly instructed the referees to cheat during the Superbowl by making fake, B.S. calls go against Green Bay and/or calling any and all questionable calls in favor of Pittsburgh, regardless of the facts. I mean are we really acting like this really happened?

I think a more likely explanation for the celebration penalty involved the NFL and Roger Goddell being so obsessed with protecting the shield and putting out a wholesame product for the fans so as to increase the desirability and national appeal of the game for the sake of ensuring maximum profits, that for the Superbowl, when the game will be on full display for all football nuts, causal fans, and people and families that just watch because its a classic American event, he may have had the refs instructed to nip any bad behavior, inappropriate actions, excessive celebrations, etc. in the bud, by throwing flags if it happens.

They looked real trigger happy when that happened. I don't really know what was excessive about it. Maybe the fact that he ran to the middle of the endzone and then his teammates joined him,jumping on him and such, and maybe they thought it looked too much like a team celebration. I don't know, but I can bet that the refs were on high alert for anything that could have made the NFL look bad or like anything less than a smoothly run, professional organization regardless of what team was responsible.

But hey, what do I know, it could have been Mr. Goddell in the library with the candlestick

Date: February 07, 2011 07:53AM

Date: February 07, 2011 10:16AM

And let me backpedal a little. Maybe cheating is too strong a word but maybe bias is more appropriate. Sometimes a team of refs may have a bias toward the style of play of one team.

The best way to understand this is basketball. One team of refs may not mind rough play and seem to be favoring the rough playing team to the point they don't call obvious fouls.

Another team of refs may be overly sensitive to tough play and therefore will favor the team that doesn't "get in there and bang." The result then is that the team that legitimately plays it close loses because they all get fouled out.

There's no conspiracy theory involved.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 07, 2011 10:38AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
------------------------
If you have not been watching sports long enough to note the phenomena, keep watching, you'll grow up.

And let me backpedal a little. Sometimes a team of refs may have a bias toward the style of play of one team.

Response:

I have been watching sports for long enough. Please don't patronize me.
Your revised point is well made, I just took issue with the inflamatory charge that there was blatant cheating going on with the refs, a charge that you've admittedly backed off from.

I have watched enough sports to become aware of the possible phenomenon where it starts to look like the "referees tend to make all the calls in favor of one particular team" I just didn't think that what we saw went as far as: "The whole game they kept trying to cheat for the Steelers"

In response to your now-tempered suspicion that some inherent bias on the part of the refs in favor of the way the Steelers play, may have influenced some calls... well yeah, I think that is a much more plausible scenario.

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: February 07, 2011 11:53AM

Saw the whole thing and the replay. It was a catch and fumble by Swain and a Packers recovery. This is text from a Radio Broadcast at the moment it happened:

9:14: Looked like Brett Swain had a first-down catch for GB, but then Timmons rips it loose and it’s ruled incomplete. Mike McCarthy will challenge that one, so get ready for a delay.

9:15: Pretty important challenge. I don’t think it will get overruled, and if it doesn’t GB of course loses a timeout. That could be big, given that Pittsburgh already has taken two timeouts.

9:17: Green Bay’s challenge is rejected, and the Pack is charged with its first timeout. Only :30 left in the third quarter, BTW. Here comes the GB punt.

So glad that Gene Steelatore wasn't whistling that game.

Date: February 07, 2011 04:34PM

Date: February 11, 2011 03:39AM

Check to see if that ref was from Pittsburgh like the one that made that bad call that cost us the game against them.

Date: February 11, 2011 08:13AM

Ha! Ha! Treasurecoast, either you hit on the right question or this is your subtle way of reminding us that this ref actually DID come from Pennsylvania.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.