HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Fix 2010's 3 biggest problems
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Fix 2010's 3 biggest problems
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:26AM

O-line. This is the biggest area of need on the team. Run blocking and pass blocking were both terrible in 2010. This must be addressed. That said, good teams typically build lines from within. They do not pay exorbitant sums for FA linemen - it's just not good business. However, given the putrid condition of our line in 2010, it may happen yet again. It it happens, let's hope that the newcomer turns out better than Grove or Smiley did. My personal preference would be to address the o-line problem in the upcoming draft. I would do this by using multiple picks on lineman.

RB. The second biggest area of need on the team. Yes, the o-line was horrendous in 2010, however our RBs are slow to the hole and have no ability to create their own yards. As bad as our o-line is, they would actually look a little better with a runner who has some speed and elusiveness.

WR. We need speed. (As dolfanmark as pointed out) We have several good WRs, but none of them are effective at stretching the field. I doubt we would ever get full value (as aqua has pointed out) by trading Marshall now; but I would have no issue moving the guy. He is a distraction and doesn't exhibit the traits of a team player committed to winning.

I recognize that I am in the minority, but I don't believe that Henne was the problem last year. Pennington basically made the same statement when Henne was benched last year. Address the o-line issue and Henne looks much better in 2011. Address all 3 of the above issues and Henne becomes a high end QB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 05:26AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fix 2010's 3 biggest problems
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:42AM

Love the idea of improving the o-line. But I dont see how a better o-line fixes Henne's accuracy and decision making issues.
Maybe with a better o-line Henne would become a quality back-up, but he'll never be an elite QB. Mobility, pocket presence, play-extending ability, guts, and intensity still seem to be eluding him and always will.

Date: February 03, 2011 05:44AM

How many good QBs in the NFL have crappy lines, no running game and no speed at WR? Most of the elite QBs play for teams that are strong in all 3 areas.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:58AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> O-line. This is the biggest area of need on the
> team. Run blocking and pass blocking were both
> terrible in 2010. This must be addressed. That
> said, good teams typically build lines from
> within. They do not pay exorbitant sums for FA
> linemen - it's just not good business. However,
> given the putrid condition of our line in 2010, it
> may happen yet again. It it happens, let's hope
> that the newcomer turns out better than Grove or
> Smiley did. My personal preference would be to
> address the o-line problem in the upcoming draft.
> I would do this by using multiple picks on
> lineman.

Let's be specific here. I heard we're high on a RT. Unfortunately, our problems with our O-Line the last 3 years have been in the middle (Center/Guard). We don't get the push up front, and our guards can't pull, to open holes for our RBs (both Ricky and Ronnie have always run best up the middle!!). So, based on that you'd think we need a Center and an OG. The one thing that's missing is Hudson Houck did more with our O-Line with less talent. Could coaching be part of the issue as well? I thought Jerry has tremendous potential early in preseason, but his lack of development after coming back from injury makes me think the main issue IS coaching.

> RB. The second biggest area of need on the team.
> Yes, the o-line was horrendous in 2010, however
> our RBs are slow to the hole and have no ability
> to create their own yards. As bad as our o-line
> is, they would actually look a little better with
> a runner who has some speed and elusiveness.

I'll say it again. COACHING. First of all, the poor O-Line play has played a HUGE part in our lack of running game. Ronnie and Ricky have always had the ability to get their own yards..even last year...but they can't if they are constantly getting stuffed by 300 lb defensive linemen!! As for speed, we have Cobbs and Sheets. As for power, we have Hilliard...who I really think is better suited to play FB. Polite is reliable in short yardage, but he's not much of a receiver with makes him an overall liability as a starter.

> WR. We need speed. (As dolfanmark as pointed
> out) We have several good WRs, but none of them
> are effective at stretching the field. I doubt we
> would ever get full value (as aqua has pointed
> out) by trading Marshall now; but I would have no
> issue moving the guy. He is a distraction and
> doesn't exhibit the traits of a team player
> committed to winning.

Dumping Marshall now would similar to when we dumped Jason Taylor or Matt Roth. He'll excel for another team because we don't know how to best use him. Those moves may have made sense to us fans at the time, but in retrospect I think the coaches and organization should take some of the blame as well. Marshall is a tremendous talent...if we know how to best utilize it. I still say the logical odd-man-out at WR is Hartline, NOT Marshall.

>
> I recognize that I am in the minority, but I don't
> believe that Henne was the problem last year.
> Pennington basically made the same statement when
> Henne was benched last year. Address the o-line
> issue and Henne looks much better in 2011.
> Address all 3 of the above issues and Henne
> becomes a high end QB.

Yep. Same as last year. Seeing as we have the same HC and GM, what makes you think we'll do any better THIS year if we adopt that strategy?

Date: February 03, 2011 06:16AM

Good points Victor.

o-line. I agree that the interior line is the biggest issue. A weak interior line kills all facets of an offense.

RB. Ricky and Ronnie are not the same backs they used to be. Neither looks like a legit NFL starter at this point. Perhaps one of the other players could be that guy, but the fact that they weren't given a chance says something.

Regarding Marshall, it seems to me that he is just not worth the headaches. He doesn't provide what we need out of a #1 WR at this time.

Finally, I fully believed that Sparano needed to get fired this offseason. Ultimately, his players failed to get it done on the field. That falls on him.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 06:17AM

IMHO 2010s 3 biggest problem were....

1.QB
2.OL
3.Offensive play calling.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 03, 2011 06:48AM

And overall speed on offense.

Listen, I am white...but, when your fastest guy on offense is a white guy, you have major speed problems.

And that is just the truth.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 03, 2011 07:02AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> And overall speed on offense.
>
> Listen, I am white...but, when your fastest guy on
> offense is a white guy, you have major speed
> problems.
>
>
> And that is just the truth.

Hey, Don Beebe was pretty good for Buffalo in the 80's. Of course, Hartline could only DREAM of running a 4.21 40.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:49AM

Aqua your statement is racist, and it won't be tolerated on this board. You are making an unfair generalization that blacks are always faster than whites not true, and definately not needed on this board. Hartline is our fastest reciever getting a faster one black or white makes no difference if the QB can't ge them the ball. Last year we could of had the fastest wide recievers, and it would not of made a difference because Henne was not not very good and regressed greatly. Fix Henne or replace him then our offense we be good again.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:56AM

OLine is the major problem. The interior line was subpar all year long, and lack of depth was the finishing touch.Incognito was the best of a bad interior line. He looks like Center should be his position. Carey is servicable at RT, but an upgrade will be needed soon.Jerry might be OK, but, again, more depth is needed if he cannot play up to his draft pick. I truly think the Dolphins must draft an OLinenman with their first pick, because any skill position player won't produce without a line. No RB or QB will have enough time to make plays, and no WR will have the ball thrown to them if the QB is sacked in less than 3 seconds after the ball is snapped.
First things first, get a respectable OLine, then go after skill players. Even if Henne is the QB, the running game (with ant servicable Rcool smiley will be better, and take the pressure off the passing game. Henne or anyone else they throw out there will do better if they have enough time to find a target.
To me, the 3 biggest problems are 3 Oline positions.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:56AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Aqua your statement is racist, and it won't be
> tolerated on this board. You are making an unfair
> generalization that blacks are always faster than
> whites not true, and definately not needed on this
> board. Hartline is our fastest reciever getting a
> faster one black or white makes no difference if
> the QB can't ge them the ball. Last year we could
> of had the fastest wide recievers, and it would
> not of made a difference because Henne was not not
> very good and regressed greatly. Fix Henne or
> replace him then our offense we be good again.

Thats not racist, grow up and accept the truth. Yes African people due to environmental factors and way of life growing up evolving over the centuries, have impacted the way they run, and are built for speed over the european decent people.

Would you consider his statement racist, if it envolved a Asian and a African?

Over the past 4 decades when Blacks in the US where allowed to compete in the olympics, who has been bringing home the gold in the sprint race's? When was the last time a european decented male won a sprint race for the gold?

Jesus stop playing the f.cking race card and grow up.

The whole human race is diverse due to where we grew up from.

Resulting in spects that changed both mental, and physical forms of all humans, some better than other's in certain things.

Just like certain dogs, and cats and Apes and every other damn creature has evolved differantly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 08:00AM by Mia1.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 08:02AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Aqua your statement is racist, and it won't be
> tolerated on this board. You are making an unfair
> generalization that blacks are always faster than
> whites not true, and definately not needed on this
> board. Hartline is our fastest reciever getting a
> faster one black or white makes no difference if
> the QB can't ge them the ball. Last year we could
> of had the fastest wide recievers, and it would
> not of made a difference because Henne was not not
> very good and regressed greatly. Fix Henne or
> replace him then our offense we be good again.

oh please, mellow out man. name the last fast and productive white WR. someone had to go back to don beebe (no superstar, btw). Or CB for that matter (has there been one since Jason Sehorn?). any time someone mentions someone's skin color it's "racist" and "won't be tolerated"?
great

Date: February 03, 2011 08:12AM

Hey all aqua is saying is that african americans are just more athletic than whites. I dont think there is nothing wrong with that.

Its the truth.

Date: February 03, 2011 08:18AM

At least the mayority.

Date: February 03, 2011 08:25AM

That was NOT racist. It's the truth. Black athletes ARE faster than white athletes in general, except for those freak athletes like Beebe and Sehorn.

Date: February 03, 2011 08:57AM

Quote:

"Aqua your statement is racist, and it won't be tolerated on this board."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Are you freakin serious!? Dude, get out of here with that racist crap. That was not at all a racist remark.

Question for all you guys on here.....

Every 100 meter Olympic race over the last 15 years, can someone name the white guy in the race?

Guess what? There was not a white guy in the race. The facts are facts, blacks are (majority of the time) faster and better athletes than whites. It is the truth.

Stop pulling the race card Spike Lee.

---------------------

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 03, 2011 12:04PM

I won't answer childish behavior by adding to your stupidity. Statements like yours don't belong on this board period. I am grown many years past your childish antics of you and the other Peter Pan challenged members on this board espicially Mia. I could say something like whites swim faster than blacks but I won't because it is racist and an over generalization. Once again stupid comments like yours don't belong on this board.

Date: February 03, 2011 12:44PM

The only thing stupid on this thread is actually your swimming comment, I didnt find it racist at all, but I did find it completely stupid and didnt make any sense.

Answer me this riddle Finshady.....

Name the top 100 fastest players in the NFL?

Bet there will not be a white person in the top 100.

---------------------

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 12:45PM

fastest white player in the nfl today would probably have to be anthony gonzalez of Indy maybe? even he's a 4.4, and theres probably 100 black guys that can smoke that time.

So tell me again why saying blacks are faster is a stupid remark?

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: miamid45 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 01:38PM

Definitely agree with faster, but saying they are better athletes is not necessarily true.

Most winter sports..i.e: Hockey, Skiing are predominately played by white athletes.

It's really a matter of demographics and unfortunately affluence when you look at these costly winter sports and also summer sports like Golf.

I'd have to agree with Aqua, though, by saying their speed is unmatched.

Is this racist?.., i don't think so, rather it is factual, nothing more and nothing less.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: February 03, 2011 01:47PM

Finshady Wrote:
> I won't answer childish behavior by adding to your
> stupidity. Statements like yours don't belong on
> this board period. I am grown many years past
> your childish antics of you and the other Peter
> Pan challenged members on this board espicially
> Mia. I could say something like whites swim
> faster than blacks but I won't because it is
> racist and an over generalization. Once again
> stupid comments like yours don't belong on this
> board.

You are way way way to sensitive. There was nothing racist about any of these remarks. If you can't take the truth then you need some professional help.

Now as far as better athletes, I would not go that far. Faster in general yes, but there is more to athletics than just speed.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 03, 2011 02:40PM

Date: February 03, 2011 02:45PM

Hey let him say what he wants free speech.

White people have more endurance than any other race, bet you didnt know that, look at the marathon's. Just saying.... Black people are fastest people look at sprint races. Just saying.... Asians I would consider most athletic..... Just saying....

It all comes down to each race's geography, and how each has evoloved to meet its surrounding environments.

In Africa the people lived in the heat, and chased down alot of food, also ran from being food.

In Europe the people held our long winters, and scavanged, seldomly hunting, they raised herds, and fished heavily, wore armor, and walked all over, there fore the endurance strength factor comes in.

Asians where a mixed element, due to many differant environmental factors, and well are extremely athletic, fluid.

Also Matt Jones wr I think is fastest White wr in league, ran like a 4.3 or 4.4.

Finshady you are insecure, and blinded by a sad sad mentallity man, what a shame too, just like majority of uper class white people in this country. tisk tisk...sad smiley

Date: February 03, 2011 02:50PM

CrynB I Agree with some of what you speak of, however your view has not been verified, and is only a opinion, based mostly on lack of evidance.

Especially for the asians. Enterbreeding between Neatherthall and Sapian yes, but Homosapians, migrated out of Africa, and in doing so populated other hemishpere's, and although some interbreeding went on, millions of years evolution resulted in the mixed skins, and features, thats why you got white, differant color hair and eyes of whites, asians, and middleastern, as well as black.

Date: February 03, 2011 02:52PM

Now, Mia1, just talked about a more recent stage in human development long after the Neanderthals disappeared.

He is correctly pointing out geographical factors and history that led to the development of certain skills.

He could have also added that because of the scarcity of resources in Europe and its inhospitable climate yielded the need to take what is not yours and protect what is yours, the European, by necessity, developed skills in warfare and building.

On the other hand, most of the rest of the world is either tropical or sub-tropical where food is in abundance and shelter is not a problem.

As such, you can say that the European was "blessed by adversity" and the rest of the whole's population was "cursed by abundance."

Date: February 03, 2011 02:53PM

wtf are you talking about, mia1? kenyans win just about every marathon.

Date: February 03, 2011 02:54PM

so...should jimmy the greek have been fired? or was he right?

Date: February 03, 2011 02:55PM

Yes, I am talking about the latest findings in Anthropology with regard to the Asians but as regards to the European see the work of Professor Milton Woloff of the University of Michigan.

As to what you say, Mia1, I don't see any difference in what I said which is that the Europeans and Asians have remnant Neanderthal genes and sub-Sahara Africans do not.

Date: February 03, 2011 03:12PM

Jimmy the Greek was talking about slavery and was right. Some of us Blacks objected to him being shut up because it basically hushed up one of the most sorrowful evidence of the degradation of slavery. Blacks were brought over here for the purpose of being worked like animals and were intentionally bred for that purpose because the slave owner dictated with whom they could breed.

He did attempt to breed strong muscular males and fertile females.

But by reminding everyone of this, he made Whites more uncomfortable than Blacks. Yeah, the Liberal crowd agitated a few of their Black allies to speak out but there were a lot in the Black community saying, "Hey, that's the way it was. We didn't ask for it. It was done to us."

Date: February 03, 2011 03:33PM

Back to the topic,

We need overall speed on offense. We need big time playmakers, guys who can take it 80 yards on any given play.

I like the the formula of big guys, but, at some point, you need speed and we are at that point.....we need speed.

---------------------

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.