HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Over/Under.........am I crazy?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Over/Under.........am I crazy?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: June 13, 2012 03:24AM

I just bet 500 bux (at +145, meaning I risk 500 to win 725) on the Dolphins going over 7.5 wins, am I in need of a drug test or does this sound do-able? Our non-division schedule looks pretty easy (on paper anyway) and I could see us winning at least 3 divisional games.

Good bet or bad bet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 05:31AM by dolphaholic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Over/Under.........am I crazy?
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:53AM

I think you're good to go with that.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 13, 2012 06:26AM

We all know you ARE crazy. As for the bet, I wouldn't take it.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 07:03AM

flip a coin.... you are nuts because, we have no idea about alot of things on this team next year...new coaches, who is the QB gonna be, how is the new system on offense and defense gonna pan out?.... Risky bet...way to many complete unknowns to bet on IMO... but thats what obsessed fans do....Personally I never do well betting on Miami, way below avg.... more of an emotinal choice then good logic when you are a fan...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:23AM

Last year we lost 5 games by a touchdown or less playing with a lame duck coach, and basically a 2nd string QB. We started 0-7, and finished 6-10. I say good bet we win 9-11 games this year if things go well which you never know, and 6-8 games if they dont.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: June 13, 2012 09:00AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We all know you ARE crazy.

RESPONSE: winking smiley

As for the bet, I
> wouldn't take it.

RESPONSE: Agree. Not saying it won't happen. Not saying it will. Just saying it's not a sure enough thing to bet $500 on.

When people bet, they tend only to think about the amount of money that they will win.

They don't think about the money that they are risking.

Well, but to be fair, I'm generally the type of person who thinks gambling is lunacy so maybe I'm too prejudiced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 09:02AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: June 13, 2012 09:21AM

Oh man, Im not sure.

But with all your big bucks you have, $500 is chump change for you!! smileys with beerthumbs upgrinning smiley

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 09:45AM

Chyren- to me I look at gambling as entertainment, I am paying to be entertained, if by chance I win, then the house paid me to be entertained, a win, win.... What ever I am willing to bet is what I am willing to waste on entertainment... So that way, you never lose...in my younger years I didnt always follow these rules, and you find yourself, doubling or tripling down, on monday nights games, teasing up and down trying to beat the spread.... no longer entertainment...lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 13, 2012 10:05AM

I'm not entertained by losing money. Chyren and I are on the same page when it comes to gambling.

Date: June 13, 2012 03:37PM

Yes, Victor,

Even the game show "Deal or No Deal" which is no longer a current show used to trip me out.

The Dealer would make offers to try to get the contestants to stop opening suitcases, take the offer and not try to go for a higher prize still left on the board.

They still broadcast the show in re-runs.

I look at the re-runs and say that "Hey, don't these people know that these offers are money in the bank and are no different that if they had worked their whole lives for the money and are now being asked to risk it?"

However, somehow these people had the idea that since they didn't come to the studio with the money, it wasn't real money.

Anybody who is old enough to remember the game show scandals of the late 50's knows that this is real money. It has to be or else the show will get busted.

I once saw a guy who had opened all the cases but one and there was the $1 million case still outstanding and the $1.00 case as the only other case. I kid you not. This is no joke.

The dealer offered him $500,000. This is a half way split between the million and the dollar. He was a young fat guy whose beer drinking buddies kept telling him "No Deal. No Deal. No Deal."

He went "no deal" and chose to take what was in his case which had exactly $1 dollar in it.

They showed him as he left the stage and continued to focus the camera on him as he was walking downstairs.

Never did a guy have a more devastated look.

I actually blame his friends as well. I think, pyschologically, they wanted him to fail because he looked like the type who was the group mascot and if he had come back with $500,000, the dynamics of the group would have changed. I think at that point his beer drinking buddies figured that if he came back with the million, they'd really be no worse off than him coming back with the $500K but if he lost it all, he could go back to being low man on the Totem Pole in the group, which he no doubt did unless his family had the good sense to tell him to ditch these guys.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:35PM

Hell I am it's one of my crutches that and well rooting for losibg teams. I like to play cards poker anyone. Hell if you let me see your cards I'll tell you if you have a good hand while playing lol. You just have yo know your limit, and how much you can stand to lose. After that just go, and have some much needed fun.

Date: June 13, 2012 05:34PM

That's another way of looking at it Finshady. But I guess its akin to my philosophy of loaning money. I don't.

BUT and this is a major league BUT, when my friends are in need, and this is where the similarity comes in, I tell them, I won't loan you the money but I will GIVE you the money and I don't expect to be paid back. That way I don't get angry about not seeing it again. But I only GIVE my friends money that I can't afford to lose.

That way, I don't get angry when I never see the money again. So if you look at playing your poker game like that, then it's like me and my so-called "lending" philosophy---I don't lend but I only give away what I can afford to.

Date: June 13, 2012 08:00PM

I'm not a gambler and don't have $5 bills to just waste like that......but I think you will get it back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.