HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Brandon Marshall
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Brandon Marshall
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 29, 2010 05:18AM

Poll
What do we do with Marshall?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
16 votes were received.
Bench him now and trade him in the offseason 1

6%
Keep him as the starter at WR and, maybe, replace Hartline with Moore. 2

13%
Change the way we use Marshall, possibly trying him at TE. 3

19%
Don't change a thing. Marshall/Hartline/Bess are our top WRs. 10

62%

Before we throw this guy under the bus, consider the following:

1. Most top WRs in the league are Prima-Donnas of some sort.
2. Marshall is a tremendous competitor and hates losing. His frustrations came out after we started losing AND Henne was benched.

I think we should see if Marshall could work out as a "light" pass-catching TE. I'm NOT proposing we ask him to put on weight, but his size, strength, and blocking ability are well suited for the TE role. Imagine a formation with Hartline and Moore on the outside, Bess in the slot, and Marshall at TE!!!

So, what's your opinion:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brandon Marshall
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 05:26AM

thinking of getting rid of marshall is exactly why this team never progresses. the way to have a great team is to add great players to good. if bess and harline and wallace, etc showed they are legit NFL players, lets add a superstar to that mix and make it work

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 06:09AM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 06:13AM

I want Marshall in the slot, that is what I would change, then move Wallace to number one, Hartline to number two, and add Bess with a constant 4 wr set. with one RB in the back, and Henne in the Shotgun.

This formation would be very dominate if we ran it on first and depending on yardage third down's.

Date: November 29, 2010 06:18AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its one thing to suggest moving a guy like Ernest
> Wilford to TE to try to extend his career and
> improve his value/contribution to the team but the
> notion of changing one of the elite WR's, a guy
> who is 26 years old and who was on pace for 93
> catches in a "down" year, to a TE is laughable.

I see my suggestion went over your head.

You don't think Keith Jackson was an impact player? Shannon Sharpe? Tony Gonzalez? Great pass-catching TE's are rare, but can make a HUGE impact on the game.

I'm suggesting a way to get our best receivers on the field TOGETHER, fill a desperate need, and put Marshall in the best position for him to succeed. I don't mean do this 100% of the time. I'm suggesting we make up for the lack of a pass-catching TE by playing Marshall at that position occasionally. Create a formation where he plays closer to the line and runs routes against LBs. We could pick teams apart all day with that formation.

Date: November 29, 2010 06:23AM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want Marshall in the slot, that is what I would
> change, then move Wallace to number one, Hartline
> to number two, and add Bess with a constant 4 wr
> set. with one RB in the back, and Henne in the
> Shotgun.
>
> This formation would be very dominate if we ran it
> on first and depending on yardage third down's.

Putting him in the slot would line him up against LBs or 2nd-string DBs...which is similar to TE (what I'm suggesting). The only thing is slot WRs don't always get a high YAC. Their routes tend to be really quick, and they often catch the ball on the ground. You don't see a lot of slot WRs making long runs for TD's, but you DO see the great TE's doing it.

I think Bess is well suited for the slot, so I wouldn't want to change a good thing. Moore has better speed than Hartline, so maybe we could try him next to Marshall.

The fact remains that Marshall's physical style is unique for a WR in the league today. Few guys can match him physically. BUT, I'm wondering if that is holding our offense back. It seems we're much more high-powered with guys like Moore, Bess, and Hartline at WR. I hate to waste an amazing talent like Marshall, but I think he may be better suited for a TE-like role.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 06:28AM

I dont know i didnt vote...........i think if everything is going great he would be a force...Now if we are losing then he becomes a head case.....ALIKE terrell owens

There is a 50/50 chance he will be with this team next year. IMO.

In other words who knows.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 06:34AM

i think we shouldn't change a thing except target Marshall less, hes constantly blanketed yet we throw the ball to him more than any other reciever in the NFL we need to spread the ball out more and keep the defense off balance.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 07:41AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 29, 2010 03:19PM

I'm the one vote to trade him. Number one, I never wanted Marshall to start with. I have no use for a guy who hits women. And when a guy has as many domestic violence incidents as Marshall, he's just a dirtbag. But, the last two games he played, with the stupid penalties, have told me all I need to know about Marshall. He's an immature, selfish player who is more concerned with his personal stats than the success of the team. And this is how he got himself run out of Denver. Nothing has changed.

RB and WR are very different. When you go into a game, you know you want to get your main RB a certain number of touches, at a minimum. And you gameplan to get him those touches. But, the same is not necessarily true for a WR. You may gameplan to get a WR 7 or 8 touches, but whether or not he gets those touches can be entirely dependent on coverage. If a guy is double and triple teamed the whole game, then he shouldn't be getting the ball. If you have to force the ball to a particular WR, it throws off the whole rhythm of what the offense is really trying to do.

Percent of passes completed when thrown to:
Davone Bess, 72.5%, with 1 INT and 3 drops
Brian Hartline, 67.2%, with 3 INT and 3 drops
Anthony Fasano, 63.4%, with 1 INT and 2 drops
Brandon Marshall, 63.0%, with 6 INT, 8 drops, and 1 fumble

These stats do not include the Raiders game. But, throwing the ball to Marshall has resulted in the lowest completion percentage, the fewest YAC, the most INT, the most drops, and the only fumble. So, we should continue to force the ball to him? And yes, we have to, because if we don't, he'll throw a temper tantrum and start committing penalties to hurt the team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.