HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          3 Thoughts on Henne and Henning
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
3 Thoughts on Henne and Henning
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: October 24, 2010 04:09PM

Point 1:

I am concerned why we are not seeing flashes of Henne moving the team in the 4th quarter with an opportunity to win or tie the game..

The Jets game and this game were identical!

Henne choked! No matter what the play is, his maturity level is not there... he must learn to improvise and make a play when it counts..

How many times does Ben Rothlisburger, scramble for a first down,,Romo the same, Brady the same, Rivers the same!!!

Henne seems to be too robotic!! He does not improvise, and mold to a play if it gets broken down...

If all receivers are open, then scramble for 5 yards...

Point 2:

Henning is just not cutting it when it comes down to the 2 minute drill play calling...
I think the QB needs to call his own plays at that time..That is why Marino was so good in the 2 minute drill...He would take control of the play calling... This is something that the Phins need to teach Henne...

The play calling has been horrible at the end of games..

AND likewise in the red zone!!!

I think Henning is losing his mind...too old fashioned...

Point 3:

Poor time management! why are we rushing plays at so critical a time!!!
I think the coaches need to take time management clinics..

Honestly, I think it would ultimately help save some games .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 04:25PM by steviec13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 Thoughts on Henne and Henning
Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: October 24, 2010 04:26PM

Get ready for the ridicule. They will tear you apart for putting down Henne. Even though this is a public forum and people produce reasons why Henne is not cutting it, prepare for the onslaught.

As for Henning, you can say whatever you want.

Posted by: Welead ()
Date: October 24, 2010 04:31PM

You are absolutely 100% spot on with your assessment of Henne. Look at the film, he has absolutely no fire in his gut to win games. He fails time and time again when the pressure is on. Why we don't let Penny start when he has taken us to the playoff with a less talented team is beyond my comprehension. Henne's so called strong arm : 1 pass over 40 yards period. Just pathetic.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: October 24, 2010 04:39PM

henni has been struggling on last and second to last drives dating back to his starts last season. I would go through all of the evidence but dont have the time (did it towards the end of season last year). Anyhow he is consistently going 3 and out on final drives... But honestly so what, soooo many people on this board was dying for henni to get in to the point of stopping the wildcat to develop this kid so stop crying ofcourse he is not ready QB's take about 3 years to develop. SO many people on this board was crying for this kid to get his shot and develop, my question is where are these people now? I dont see overwhelming support for him anymore, why? where have all of the henni lovers gone? do I have to dig up all of those old posters that wanted this kid to get in? sooo fickle...

Date: October 24, 2010 04:45PM

I never wanted Henne in while Penny was on the rooster. Henne's supposedly big arm has produced only ONE pass over 40 yards. He isn't mobile, he looks stiff, has no pump fake, stares down receivers, has no touch and looks like Will Farrell in a comedy.

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: October 24, 2010 04:56PM

I have said it all along. I think Thigpen has more heart and talent. I am not there on film days and practices, but I think we should have beaten them by ten points if another QB was in there.

Another point that is missing is that our running backs have been none existant this year.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 24, 2010 04:57PM

Well, psalm, if you are going to replace Henne, which I totally disagree with.....then it should be Thigpen, not Pennington.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 24, 2010 05:03PM

psalm462 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have said it all along. I think Thigpen has
> more heart and talent. I am not there on film
> days and practices, but I think we should have
> beaten them by ten points if another QB was in
> there.
>
> Another point that is missing is that our running
> backs have been none existant this year.

You're right, running backs are a problem this year. We have zero speed at the position.

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: October 24, 2010 05:07PM

Henne is just too robotic...

I must say that I did see him mount a game winning drive last year against the Jets...

But that's it...

He needs to loosen up a bit...Maybe, just maybe he will get better!

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 24, 2010 05:20PM

Can't say when it was, but stat they showed today was Henne had 4 game winning drives. And that's in how many starts? 18?

Look, Henne's not the greatest QB in the league. He's not even the best QB in the division. But contrary to what some people believe, he's the best we have and he's not losing games by himself.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 24, 2010 05:54PM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Henne is just too robotic...
>

Hey, Henne isn't the problem. If we could get a robot to play QB for us this good, I'll take that. Now, fix the refs, special teams, and running game, and we may have a decent team.

Posted by: ABR ()
Date: October 25, 2010 03:47AM

I agree, Henne simply does not step up the way a Brady, an Elway, a Peyton Manning, even a Roethlisberger does. And the refs did give the game to Pittsburgh. BUT we did not deserve to win with that kind of special teams play, and with 5 field goals. I'm sorry, if we don't have the intestinal fortitude to go for it on 4th down and live with the consequences one way or another AT LEAST once out of those opportunities, we don't deserve it. And if this offense can't fix its red zone woes in general, we will be worse than 8-8 folks.

I'm almost glad the refs threw it as they did -- hopefully it will make this team take a good hard look at itself. Though I guess if that hasn't happened already they're just happy to collect their paychecks and go home at 5 every day.

Date: October 25, 2010 04:51AM

ABR Wrote:
> I'm sorry, if we don't have the
> intestinal fortitude to go for it on 4th down and
> live with the consequences one way or another AT
> LEAST once out of those opportunities, we don't
> deserve it.
There's a fine line between intestinal fortitude and stupidity. That kind of gamble is going to come back and bite you eventually. We shouldn't NEED to go for it on 4th down, but our running game just isn't what it should be.

> I'm almost glad the refs threw it as they did --
> hopefully it will make this team take a good hard
> look at itself.
That's one of the most confusing statements I've read on this board. How does a bad call by the refs cause our team to look at ourselves???!! On the contrary. Our teams feels like we won that game and the refs took it away.

Date: October 25, 2010 06:36AM

> That's one of the most confusing statements I've read on this
> board. How does a bad call by the refs cause our team to look
> at ourselves???!! On the contrary. Our teams feels like we won
> that game and the refs took it away.

Because, if they won, there would be the attitude "stop whining, we won already" both on here and within the team. As it is now, you know Sparano's not going to go into the locker room on Monday and say "Hey, you guys played great but the refs took it from us." At least I sure hope not. I'd fire him if he did that. He's going to say, "Did the refs take it from us? No, WE took it from ourselves! And here's what we've got to do..."

Date: October 25, 2010 06:41AM

ABR Wrote:
> > That's one of the most confusing statements I've
> read on this
> > board. How does a bad call by the refs cause our
> team to look
> > at ourselves???!! On the contrary. Our teams
> feels like we won
> > that game and the refs took it away.
>
> Because, if they won, there would be the attitude
> "stop whining, we won already" both on here and
> within the team. As it is now, you know Sparano's
> not going to go into the locker room on Monday and
> say "Hey, you guys played great but the refs took
> it from us." At least I sure hope not. I'd fire
> him if he did that. He's going to say, "Did the
> refs take it from us? No, WE took it from
> ourselves! And here's what we've got to do..."

But how can you be GLAD the refs threw the game? If I played for the NFL knowing the Refs were actually the ones determining who won (not your own team), I'd be pretty disheartened.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 25, 2010 06:46AM

ABR Wrote:
>
> Because, if they won, there would be the attitude
> "stop whining, we won already" both on here and
> within the team.

That would have been a better problem to have than losing the game.

"On here," the general attitudes can be a pain to read, but I'll gladly deal with that exchange for victories in any form!

"Within the team"....we really don't know that would be the case. Despite the other shortcomings of the coaching staff and other team leadership I doubt they'd have been complacent over a win yesterday. They *do* review film extensively.

As it is now, you know Sparano's
> not going to go into the locker room on Monday and
> say "Hey, you guys played great but the refs took
> it from us." At least I sure hope not. I'd fire
> him if he did that. He's going to say, "Did the
> refs take it from us? No, WE took it from
> ourselves! And here's what we've got to do..."

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 25, 2010 07:10AM

Excellent observations: "He isn't mobile, he looks stiff, has no pump fake, stares down receivers, has no touch...."

Henne played 4 years as the Wolverine QB. Then he was drafted by the Fins. He is playing in his third year. He has had thousands of snaps from center and played against teams that were mush, competitive and great. If after all that work he hasn't been able to finesse his throws, handle the ball more elusively, not stare down his WRs, and not look like a deer in the headlights when he "must" come through, then it's getting close for him to move on. Chad Henne just doesn't appear to be able to make it happen in the clutch. He is robotic, no question about it, from my perspective.

When you watch other QBs around the league you can sort out the very best pretty easily, the A players at the position. Then the next group of very good QBs and then finally the "also a QB group" that plays but seldom excels. I believe Henne is in that last category. sad smiley

Fans can only hope skills can be improved. But it is still poor leadership and team execution that is at the heart of our problems.

Date: October 25, 2010 07:18AM

Henne doesn't have the intangibles to be a great or franchise QB. You can't coach that. Every fan who is a Henne supporter basically wants our team to lose. Penny can make more win now when the timing for a playoff is in place. Next year is too late.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 25, 2010 10:42AM

Weland is right, its already too late. We need a Drew Brees

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: October 25, 2010 10:56AM

Pennington can help us to win now, Hell I don't care, at least Pennington can call his own plays and look at Henning, and say f. that dude we are not doing that clown, here Marshall do this, bam bam bam.

Thats what Welead is referring too.

Pennington yeah he has a nooble arm, but his leadership, and play making decision is why he would take our team all the way.

Henne is robotic, and listens tooth and nail to the play being called, and looks lost when he has to diviate from the call being played.

I blame the coaching for ruinning Henne's career. lol

Date: October 25, 2010 10:58AM

Fire Henning and replace him with Pennington!!

Date: October 25, 2010 11:01AM

YEAHHHHHH, Wait NOOOOOOOOO but fire HENNING YEAHHHHHHHH, START PENNINGTON YEAHHHHHHHH he can at least drive the ball even with 100 throws for 100 yards lol....

Date: October 26, 2010 03:26AM

> "Within the team"....we really don't know that would be the case.
> Despite the other shortcomings of the coaching staff and other
> team leadership I doubt they'd have been complacent over a win
> yesterday. They *do* review film extensively.

Well, I'd like to see the evidence of it one of these weeks. As has been said elsewhere, the pattern of this team has been they fix some mistakes and then new ones come. Then wait another week and the old ones come back. Special teams. One OK week (Gcool smiley after a several bad and one terrible, and then they let up again. Big plays in the secondary -- does any team give up more? Collapsing on third down -- it's an old habit. Living on field goals. Yikes.

What does it take for them to get it?

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: October 26, 2010 03:48AM

colonel- "Henne played 4 years as the Wolverine QB. Then he was drafted by the Fins. He is playing in his third year. He has had thousands of snaps from center and played against teams that were mush, competitive and great. If after all that work he hasn't been able to finesse his throws, handle the ball more elusively, not stare down his WRs, and not look like a deer in the headlights when he "must" come through, then it's getting close for him to move on."

He may have been good with Michgan, but you need to be elite in the college world to transition into a GOOD NFL QB, or have such a great line infront of you that you have all day to throw. The speed of the NFL game compared to that of college is like pop warner to high school ball......TENFOLD.

Seriously, I do not think he had the skills to transition from college in order to be a CONSISTENT NFL quarterback.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 26, 2010 06:56AM

Date: October 26, 2010 07:36AM

Fire Henning and replace him with anyone.

Date: October 26, 2010 08:01AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Victor: Fire Henning and replace him with
> Pennington!
>
> Probably not a bad idea. But is Pennington willing
> to work those kind of hours? Most players are
> simply not interested in giving up their life for
> coaching...

I'm guessing Pennington DID work those kind of hours 2 years ago. He's a bookworm and a film junkie. I don't really think he's ready to be an OC yet, but the hours aren't the reason.

I wonder how Don Strock would be at OC.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 26, 2010 08:16AM

Don Strock? Where'd that come from?

I nominate Dan Marino. Oh wait, he likes to do TV and play golf too much. How about Tommy Vigorito? He’s Italian to.

We should also get Crash Jenson for ST coach.

Dwight Stevenson for OL.

And…

Date: October 26, 2010 08:23AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Don Strock? Where'd that come from?
>
It's not that crazy. He was an OC for the NFL Europe team Rhein Fire. He was a QB coach for the Ravens, and then a college HC at FIU. In Miami, he was the closest thing to a player/coach that, I think, we ever had. He mentored Dan. He signaled in the plays. In fact, after Dan arrived, Strock's role was much more coach than it was backup QB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2010 08:25AM by montequi.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 26, 2010 08:28AM

We should just fire Henne, Henning, SParano, and Ireland, and that will make everything better and we will then finally win!....lol....You guys are foolish. People that just bring up something to bitch about with no real solutions or alternatives are foolish... People say bring in Cowher, yet as Reppa pointed out, it took him seventeen years to get a superbowl. who wants to wait that long. But Sparano is a bum after a mere 2 1/2 years after taking over a 1-15 team. Yet Cowher is a god becasue it took him 17 years to get one ring for a top tier franchises in the NFL. Lol.
We lost on a bad call to a team considered in the top of the league. In fact each team we have lost to is considered a top 5 NFL team. ANd we are bums and need to throw out our QB and coaches.... Geez, give them a chance, we are looking like a pretty damn good team right now, with some bad breaks and a problem finishing, no need to scrap the team QB, team and coaches... We will be behind another 15 years if you do that garbage, especially if Carl Peterson is the next in line

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.