HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins doin Hard Knocks!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dolphins doin Hard Knocks!
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 29, 2012 07:53AM

I'm amazed that we're doing this......speechless

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins doin Hard Knocks!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:15AM

I won't watch it. I hate reality shows and find the more I know about the "real lives" of people I enjoy seeing perform (atheltes, musicians, actos, etc) and the behind the scense aspects of it, the less I like seeing them do what they do. I don't want to corrupt my enjoyment of the phins.
At least doing this show will make the phin relevant nationally, beyond just making fun of Ireland.

Date: May 29, 2012 08:17AM

What a difference a year or so makes without the Tuna around. I'll watch, but i'm p.ssed because I was just getting ready to dump HBO!

Date: May 29, 2012 09:11AM

wow--if no one on phins.com cares, how is anyone who is not a hard core fan of the team going to have any interest in watching this?

Posted by: Flippersbest ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:17AM

This rocks! Finally my team on the big time. How can you not like to watch our team on prime time.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:19AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow--if no one on phins.com cares, how is anyone
> who is not a hard core fan of the team going to
> have any interest in watching this?

I care....in that I worry that this will be a distraction for the team. I don't 'care' enough to sign up and pay for HBO to see this show.

How can the team benefit from this, other than a possible temporary spike in ticket sales? Free PR I guess. Maybe they figure we have no chanced of a title this season so why not take the free PR.

Date: May 29, 2012 09:24AM

yes, there is no upside to this from the football perspective. distractions can only hurt, and increased transparancy can only lead to bad publicity or scandle. this is a total steve ross move--along the lines of j lo and the orange carpet.
my biggest reaction is that hbo picked miami---they must have had no other team willing to do it. miami is about as dull a team as you could pick for this kind of show. average team, first year no-name coach, essentially unknown players and no big stars or personalities, other than reggie bush who is known for having banged one of those execrable kardashian people (forget which one)

Date: May 29, 2012 09:33AM

I think it's all Lauren Tanneyhills faultspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 29, 2012 09:39AM

berkeley223 Wrote:

>
> one of those execrable kardashian people (forget
> which one)

Oh yeah, it was the one with the big rear end. Does that narrow it down?

By the way, another reason they picked Miami is because it's a more interesting city than say...St. Louis. And because of our cheerleaders, of course.

Date: May 29, 2012 09:41AM

I think holic may be onto something with tannehill's wife. she is sure to get some screen time.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:08AM

Since their is nothing I can do about it one way or another...I will be ecstatic to get a behind the scenes look at our new coaching staff, offense, defense and future franchise QB, RB etc. I will be adding HBO to my programming after my 3 month free program ends.

I wouldn't say it will be bad or good for the team. Their are pros and cons to doing it, I suppose.

Pro: Increased publicity, ticket sales, less blackouts, makes players want to hustle so they don't get called out nationally for not working...not wanting to look bad.

Con: Possible distraction

As far as being a distraction, I think it all depends on the leadership from the coaching staff. I think Philbin is going to be able to handle it. He seems like a very down to earth type of guy with little ego and had experienced coaches under him.

I don't see much fuel for a scandal. This is for the most part a high character team. Especially since BM is gone.

What better story line for this show? New 1st round QB in a real competition for the starting spot with two vets. Lots of compeition for several positions. RT, RG, TE, FB, WR, FS, SS, CB, pass rushers.

What impact has the show had (historically) in getting ready for the season? lets take a look...

Baltimore 2001: SB champs trying to repeat after a 12-4 season. Finished the season with 10 wins and a playoff win OVER MIAMI. No repeat but they dumped their starting SB winning QB in favor of Elvis Grbac. Not a great move.

Dallas 2002: Coming off a 5-11 season with Quincy Carter as starting QB to a 5-11 record in 2002. Not much chance with that QB.

Chiefs 2007: Went from 9-7 to 4-12 after trading Trent Green (to Miami) in favor of Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle. You know you're in trouble with those guys as your leaders.

Dallas 2008: Went from 13-3 to 9-7. You want to talk about an immature team not ready for distractions? Terrell Owens and Pac Man Jones.

Cincy 2009: Went from 4-11-1 to 10-6 and a playoff birth for the 1st time since 2005 after sweeping the entire division. This is the year Chris Henry was killed after falling out of back of p/u truck. Carson Plamer at QB. Not many distractions from the cameras here.

Jets 2010: went from 9-7 to 11-5 and a playoff birth then on to the AFC Championship game. Don't see much distraction from cameras here either.

This is awesome....for me as a fan.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: May 29, 2012 10:11AM

...and no way will this show be boring! Lots and lots of story lines here...and Tannehills hot wife. You don't have to have a celebrity to make the show interesting. 8th overall pic, behind the scenes QB compeition? Boring? Seriously?

Wow! some of you are hard to please.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:29AM

I am selfish, in that I look forward to seeing that type of coverage of our camp. And insight we havent ever gotten before from our franchise. I worry that most teams and regimes that have done the show quickly decline following it... Brian Billick, Wade Phillips in Dallas, Herm Edwards in KC. The Jets....
Lets be honest, Mr Ross and Mike Dee wanted this IMO. I find it hard to believe, if Ireland or Philbin got a vote they voted to have this type of distraction and coverage of their football camps especially wIth so much change happening with in the organization.. Lets hope we dont fall in the trap, and are able to benefit from this type of decision rather then flounder in it.

Berk, you love this team as much as I do, you search out any information or insight weekly regarding our team. How can you not watch it?
Either way, lets say a prayer for our organization that this works out.... They need a PR change, opening the doors either changes perception by showing the organization in a different light or it reinforces the negative perception.. Producers are looking for drama, which doesnt make it easy to come across in a positive light....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: May 29, 2012 10:32AM

I've read Philbin is an extremely funny guy (like myselfsmoking smiley), he may gain the most from this show

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 29, 2012 11:21AM

Philbin goes out of his way to sell this in an interview today as not a Ross pushed thing, but rather a football decisionNot sure I buy that, but I can see an upside of getting a more positive slant on the coaching staff. players etc.

Downside, distractions and media making things out of nothing amidst roster struggles and 110 degree heat indexes.

All in all - Free publicity.

Date: May 29, 2012 01:00PM

I've got mixed feelings. I'll watch it , but I'm afraid they will get made out to look like morons like the Jets did. We have a higher class of people so it should be better........I don't want to se any Cromartie child naming incidents or Hamgurgers in training.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: May 29, 2012 02:09PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> wow--if no one on phins.com cares, how is anyone
> who is not a hard core fan of the team going to
> have any interest in watching this?

yeah i couldnt have said it any better myself. I get frustrated sometimes with the fans on this sight. We are getting national attention i dont see how that can be a bad thing for a team. I dont remember the last time the dolphins had count them 4 topics on sports center and we got fans that say they dont want us on it huh?!? I for one cant get enough of dolphin talk and would love for us to do it every year. And distractions ??? how many people have ever played pro football or been in a pro football locker room? so what do you know about distractions? We are a budding team with the potential to be a 10+ win ball club! yeah i said it!! The press before this season will be huge when we turn things around and get into the playoffs!

Talk to me after week 17 cool smiley

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 29, 2012 02:24PM

I like it. I'm glad we're doing it. Hopefully we can change the national perception of us, although I do realize winning football games ultimately does that.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: May 29, 2012 03:25PM

Date: May 29, 2012 03:26PM

10 to 1 Dan Marino and Don Shula do a Cameo......smileys with beer

I just hope they give Zack Thomas some love........retire his Jersey at least.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 04:26PM

I originally got rid of NFL Network because of my distaste for this Dukes character, and I see he hasn't gotten any better. The only team in the AFC East that didn't get better? What an idiot. As for Hard Knocks-I'm looking forward to it. We read everything we can get our hands on at that time of year, no matter how big of a clown we think the writer is-so, why not hear and see some of the backstories directly from the horses' mouths? Just remember-what's presented on TV is carefully selected and heavily edited.

Rick

Date: May 29, 2012 05:11PM

I would rather be on Hard Knocks than Cops...like the Lions will be.

---------------------

Date: May 29, 2012 05:50PM

How long before JT un-retires to get some camera time?

Date: May 30, 2012 01:41AM

eesti Wrote:
> How long before JT un-retires to get some camera
> time?

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterdaysmileys with beer

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 30, 2012 06:10AM

I'm not a fan of this idea.

I'm going to watch it, and I understand why the front office feels the need to do this, but I don't like the added pressure/scrutiny it places on tannehill's development.

I know each completion or incompletion he throws will be dissected over and over by those with an agenda to promote, be it pro or con.

I'm not sure that is worth the positive spin the powers that be feel their image will receive (locally and nationally) from doing this show.

I'm just glad brandon marshall is already gone before this show kicks off.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: May 30, 2012 06:42AM

I'm so stoked!!
I enjoyed the Hard Knocks series when it revolved around teams I didn't give a crap about! Now my favorite team gets a shot?! Right on!!!
Not worried about any "distractions" associated with it.
These guys are being filmed and scrutinized every day by the organization and coaches. There's no added pressure IMO.
And this crap about HBO finally "settling" for Miami is a joke. I'm sure the whole HBO staff is totally bummed they've got to spend a month in South Beach!
Can't wait!!!

Date: May 30, 2012 06:53AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How long before JT un-retires to get some
> camera
> > time?
>
>
> I was thinking the exact same thing yesterdaysmileys with beer

Me too grinning smiley If I'd been near the computer at the time I might have posted it first. he'll show up one way or another lol

Date: May 30, 2012 06:56AM

I heard Matt Moore is no happy about this. But considering he is widely recognized as a terribly poor practice guy, it doesnt surprise me.

He also has only beaten out 1 QB in his career during Training Camp. And that person is Jimmy Clausen. Wow.

---------------------

Date: May 30, 2012 08:53AM

it may be "interesting" for the fans (though I am not too interested in player's personal lives) but there's not one on field football benefit to this move, unless I am missing something.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: May 30, 2012 09:23AM

I'll watch it. I think it's great from a fan perspective. Access and coverage of my favorite team? Awesome sauce. As for subscribing to HBO....eh there's other ways to get the show hehe.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.