HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Hey, Ireland haters...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Hey, Ireland haters...
Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:16AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> BTW this is the way a true dolphin fan
> thinks.......

So I disagree with you and I'm not a true Dolphin Fan? Nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:23AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > BTW this is the way a true dolphin fan
> > thinks.......
>
> So I disagree with you and I'm not a true Dolphin
> Fan? Nice.

Im not saying you are not a fan....The whole point of the whole thing is for you to be positive for once about tannehill.

We are stuck with him. Why not be possitive about it.

Sometimes it seems you want him to fail just so you can say you were right about him all along.

Why not be positive about him for once. And hope he becomes good.

We do not have anybody else.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:43AM

I agree with both of what Dolfanking and berk are saying. I do think Tannehill was a reach. I do think he belonged in the second rd based on his numbers,lack of experience at the position and less then 20 college starts.
However I do believe a team besides us would have reached for him later in the 1st rd. SO i dont think he would have been available when we picked in the second rd.

I hope the best for him obviously, he is on our team. But I understand the skepticism surrounding him for the reasons stated above...
With his lack of playing time/development time, his intelligence and athletic ability the guy could defintely develop into a great player, but he could also bust out. He has to improve at the position, hopefully, he is just a raw talent with untapped ability, that Philbin knows how to tap into..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 11:44AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 31, 2012 12:01PM

Date: July 31, 2012 12:10PM

Ross, the day he gave him his jersey, said I look forward to or hope to retire this Jersey one day.... That is pretty bold? How many jersey's have been retired in the history of the Miami Dolphins?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: July 31, 2012 12:13PM

He and Rex Ryan may need to learn when to shut up. lol

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: July 31, 2012 01:52PM

Date: July 31, 2012 04:14PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> DolfanKing Wrote:
> -----
> > samsam3738 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > BTW this is the way a true dolphin fan
> > > thinks.......
> >
> > So I disagree with you and I'm not a true
> Dolphin
> > Fan? Nice.
>
>
> Im not saying you are not a fan....The whole point
> of the whole thing is for you to be positive for
> once about tannehill.
>

For some of you, if I don't put on cheerleading outfit and start swinging Pom Poms, I'm called a hater and an untrue fan.

Whatever. Some of you are talking about him like he's the next Marino. I get it, you think Tannehill is the team. I get it. Some of you need to lock onto one player and have him be a favorite. That ain't me.

Tannehill isn't the team. I like the team. But as a player, he's just another rookie QB.

Date: July 31, 2012 04:20PM

eesti Wrote:
> I was comparing college careers so go ahead
> exaggerate to make your point. I never said he was
> the next Montana.
>

I'm not exaggerating. You were comparing his numbers with Montana's and using that to justify taking RT eighth overall. It would make sense if RT were the next Montana.

But you forget that Montana was drafted in the third round. So if you are saying RT has the same potential as Montana coming out of college, then the third round would be the correct place to pick RT, not eighth overall.

Date: August 01, 2012 02:48AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 01, 2012 09:32AM

Well said eesti but I would suggest that the haters, ... the glass half empty crowd actually prefer to have a cloud following overhead.

I'd much rather choose to recognize potential ... which Ryan Tannehill certainly has, and much rather have a feel good moment if he demonstrates a good day in practice than those who need him to surpass Montana, or Marino before they can find a positive thing to say.

There is always time to note when a player after being given a fair shot just doesn't cut it. But I think this situation and the negatives on this board are about much more than Tannehill ...

By that I mean there has been an ongoing negtative flow on anything that the GM does, so by association some just have to drag Tannehill down with it.

For me I assume all the picks (in particular a number #8 pick) has decent potential. If he hadn't been picked then these same guys would be decrying the idiocy of not selecting him when he was rioght there in our hands.

- Well we finally selected a QB in the first round, he has talent, an arm, fits our system, and low and behold he actually had a good day or so in practice ... so .... are we jumping the gun to be happy for him?

"Hell yes" he hasn't proven to be better or equal to the # 8 pick yet, he's not Montana, he's not Marino ... oh my I'm liable to be disappointed again ... oh no, oh no, oh no.

Get real guys take a moment to smile cause the rookie had a decent day. That's all. End of story. He may or may not meet your dreams, but he is our #1 pick and he is doing better than most rookies - at this point in time.

Geeez

Date: August 01, 2012 09:37AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > DolfanKing Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > samsam3738 Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > >
> > > > BTW this is the way a true dolphin fan
> > > > thinks.......
> > >
> > > So I disagree with you and I'm not a true
> > Dolphin
> > > Fan? Nice.
> >
> >
> > Im not saying you are not a fan....The whole
> point
> > of the whole thing is for you to be positive
> for
> > once about tannehill.
> >
>
>
> For some of you, if I don't put on cheerleading
> outfit and start swinging Pom Poms, I'm called a
> hater and an untrue fan.
>
> Whatever. Some of you are talking about him like
> he's the next Marino. I get it, you think
> Tannehill is the team. I get it. Some of you
> need to lock onto one player and have him be a
> favorite. That ain't me.
>
> Tannehill isn't the team. I like the team. But
> as a player, he's just another rookie QB.

I said i wish he turns out like dan marino.....Im sure you do not feel the same way for some reason just to prove a point.

Date: August 01, 2012 09:43AM

eesti wrote: Now he just needs to build chemistry with a talented receiver or two. The way Peyton did with Harrison, Montana/Rice, Aikman/Irvin etc.

Answer....And that in dolfankings book will never happen...He is trying to make a point remember?

PS. why does dolphan king chooses to dish him and not give him a chance since we do not know how he is going to turn out? I have no idea why he acts like that.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 01, 2012 05:46PM

Again, as I said on another thread, I hope Tannehill IS the next Dan Marino. That being said, I don't think its the end of the world if some people look at the training camp and say he's not ready to start.

Really? It's not like he's Andrew Luck and we're the Colts and Peyton Manning is gone. Don't get hysterical. We've got Moore and Garrard. It's not the worst thing in the world if he doesn't start.

Neither are posters who are saying he's not ready to start actually traitors or Pats or Jets fans sneaking on to our board.

We all want what's best for the Dolphins. The fact that your view of what's best differs from another poster (no matter which side of the RT controversy you are on) is no reason to throw that other person under the bus or distrust either his motives or his commonsense.

Date: August 01, 2012 08:22PM

Phinjim Wrote:
>
> I'd much rather choose to recognize potential ...
> which Ryan Tannehill certainly has, and much
> rather have a feel good moment if he demonstrates
> a good day in practice than those who need him to
> surpass Montana, or Marino before they can find a
> positive thing to say.
>

This illustrates the critical mistake those who label me a hater are making. This isn't about Tannehill, its about Ireland. I've never criticized Tannehill, the only thing I've done is reiterate what nearly everyone has said: That he was a reach at where he as picked. But this is a criticism of Ireland not Tannehill. Some of you (probably the people who rolled over when Ireland picke a QB - any QB - in the first round) seem to have confused Tannehill with Ireland.

As for Tannehill, I'll be happy if he does good, but right now he's just another rookie. That isn't a "glass half empty" observation, it is just an observation.

Date: August 01, 2012 08:42PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
>
> PS. why does dolphan king chooses to dish him and
> not give him a chance since we do not know how he
> is going to turn out? I have no idea why he acts
> like that.

Sorry, but I didn't "dish" him.

I don't agree with a few posters that act like he's the next Marino. I'm just saying he has done nothing yet. That ain't a dish, that is a fact.

If I state a fact and some of you demonize me for pointing out a FACT, then that says a lot more about than others than me.

This is why you are so confused in figuring me out... thinking I'm another poster and having no idea why I act the way I do. You are looking for the answers in all the wrong places. This isn't about me - I have the facts on my side. This is about you.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 02, 2012 04:41AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
>
> I don't agree with a few posters that act like
> he's the next Marino.

A FEW posters? I don't think I've seen even *one* poster act like Tannehill is the next Marino. Not on this board, anyway.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 02, 2012 04:55AM

Dolfan King quoted Phinjim :
>
> I'd much rather choose to recognize potential ...
> which Ryan Tannehill certainly has, and much
> rather have a feel good moment if he demonstrates
> a good day in practice than those who need him to
> surpass Montana, or Marino before they can find a
> positive thing to say.
>

Dolfan King:
This illustrates the critical mistake those who label me a hater are making. This isn't about Tannehill, its about Ireland. I've never criticized Tannehill, the only thing I've done is reiterate what nearly everyone has said: That he was a reach at where he as picked. But this is a criticism of Ireland not Tannehill. Some of you (probably the people who rolled over when Ireland picke a QB - any QB - in the first round) seem to have confused Tannehill with Ireland.

Actually we agree, that by association you tend to knock on Tannehill because he was an ireland pick and perhaps this should have been the quote appropriate to my comments:

"There is always time to note when a player after being given a fair shot just doesn't cut it. But I think this situation and the negatives on this board are about much more than Tannehill ...

By that I mean there has been an ongoing negtative flow on anything that the GM does, so by association some just have to drag Tannehill down with it."

Ireland has to get it right some times and you can still hate him if you want to. I just think its time to get behind the young guy and encourage when we see some positive stuff! It's been a long time since we have had much of anything to clap about for new QB blood on the Fins.

Date: August 02, 2012 05:16AM

Date: August 02, 2012 05:23AM

WHat I dont get is why everyone feels the need to attack Dolfanking, constantly becasue they dont like his opinion... This is a message board, different opinions are what it is all about... WHo cares...It doesnt offend me or bother me, when I have a different opinion then some else here, if it bothers you, you take this whole internet community thing way to serious....All you have to do, is not respond, move on to read the next comments if it bothers you that much. I have never blocked anyone here, why would I, I cant handle controlling myself and just ignoring somebody, i need a computer to do it for me..lol... The only reason I even comment on this is I dont think it is fair the way people have labeled and gone after Dolfanking for posting nothing more then his opinion, just like everybody else here...WTF?

Nietzsche

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: August 02, 2012 05:30AM

I like Ryan Tannehill. I think he's the best QB prospect we've had since Marino. I'm excited to see him play.

With that being said, I also thought John Beck and Chad Henne were both terrible picks and I was routinely blasted for it. Several posters around here lack the ability to think for themselves. They blindly hitch their wagons to the new "regime" and the hell with anyone who disagrees with them. There were numerous Cam Cameron kool-aid drinkers on this board, who were John Beck youtube scouting experts. Throw in a Ted Ginn highlight reel and all of a sudden the Dolphins have the second coming of Montana and Rice.

Once the Cam-Mueller phase had passed, it was then time for them to sing the praises of the Trifecta. They said it was a smart move to hire Sparano and build a team in the trenches. We all know what this offensive line has been like during Sparano's tenure. Then it was Chad Henne, and the brilliance of the Trifecta to patiently wait and steal this diamond in the rough in the 2nd round. It doesn't matter that posters didn't watch him play in college. All they needed was Google to tell them he was a 4 year starter. There's a guy who is a leader with moxie.....Now Henne can display his clipboard skills in Jacksonville.

Now it's time for the peanut gallery to firmly hitch their wagons to Philbin and Tannehill. I'm just happy to be rolling with the cool kids on this one.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 02, 2012 05:49AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> JC, you dont have to look very far to refute what
> you said , this taken from a signature a couple
> comments above your post....which he has every
> right to express....
> I nominate QB Ryan Tannehill for president.....The
> next Dan Marino Clone

that signature is SERIOUS? I always thought it was a joke, poking fun at....the exact subject we are discussing.

Date: August 02, 2012 05:53AM

JC- that isnt the only signature around here, that has been a bit over the top pro tannehill... I have seen the retire Tannehill jersey quote, I am just saying you dont have to look very hard to find posters who are over the top pro tannehill... which is fine... I am just telling you that the comments and posters exist...

Nietzsche

Date: August 02, 2012 06:49AM

Who was the first Marino clone anyway?

.....................................................................................

Date: August 02, 2012 07:34AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> Dolfan King quoted Phinjim :
> -----
> >
> > I'd much rather choose to recognize potential
> ...
> > which Ryan Tannehill certainly has, and much
> > rather have a feel good moment if he
> demonstrates
> > a good day in practice than those who need him
> to
> > surpass Montana, or Marino before they can find
> a
> > positive thing to say.
> >
>
> Dolfan King:
> This illustrates the critical mistake those who
> label me a hater are making. This isn't about
> Tannehill, its about Ireland. I've never
> criticized Tannehill, the only thing I've done is
> reiterate what nearly everyone has said: That he
> was a reach at where he as picked. But this is a
> criticism of Ireland not Tannehill. Some of you
> (probably the people who rolled over when Ireland
> picke a QB - any QB - in the first round) seem to
> have confused Tannehill with Ireland.
>
> ****
> Actually we agree, that by association you tend to
> knock on Tannehill because he was an ireland pick
> and perhaps this should have been the quote
> appropriate to my comments:
>

Where have I "knocked" Tannehill.

I've said is that he was a reach at #8 (something that nearly everyone agrees with) and that he would have been around in the second round (something that some people, include NFL analysts agree with). I also said he is a rookie that has yet to prove anything (which is a stone cold FACT). But where have I "knocked" the guy? Where am I rooting for him to fail?

I admit I'm not putting on the cheerleader outfit like some of you. I'm taking a realistic approach - I've seen too many Dolphins QB hopes get raised in the past. I prefer to approach this soberly.

Some of you seem to be taking this all quite hard. Some can't read any of my posts and think I'm a troll and hater. Wow.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 02, 2012 08:42AM

DolfanKing Wrote:

>
> I've said is that he was a reach at #8 (something
> that nearly everyone agrees with)....

To varying degrees. Many of those who labeled him a "reach" had him ranked as a mid 1st round pick but not top ten.

> and that he
> would have been around in the second round
> (something that some people, include NFL analysts
> agree with).

Can you show me a few links to back that up?

I can remember one or two instances where serious pundits felt he was a second round talent. But i can also name a few who felt he was a top 5 talent. I can't think of any that thought he'd actually be there for us in round two. But maybe I missed them.

> I also said he is a rookie that has
> yet to prove anything (which is a stone cold
> FACT).

Something we can finally agree on.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 02, 2012 10:36AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> To varying degrees. Many of those who labeled
> him a "reach" had him ranked as a mid 1st round
> pick but not top ten.

RESPONSE: Although you blocked me, I will answer for the benefit of the rest of the board. People should keep in mind first that I believe that the draft is old news and it does no good to discuss what we should or should not have done then. It's done. Nothing can be done to change it.

But you are now discussing history and, I believe, you are really re-writing it.

I don't think there is any question that Tannehill was rated by most as the third best quarterback in the draft or perhaps the fourth best being put behind Wheeden.

That being said it is totally inaccurate to imply that the majority of pundits considered him a first round, let alone a top 15 pick.

Even those who said the Dolphins should pick him at no. 8 did not do so on the basis that he was a top ten pick but did so on the basis that they felt that the Dolphins need for QB was so great that they should snatch him up if they could.

THAT'S NOT THE SAME AS SAYING THAT HE WAS A LEGITIMATE TOP IN AND OF HIMSELF!

That being said, I hope he is the next Marino and we have no present evidence he is not. It's too early. But it would not be the worst thing in the world if the coaching staff made the decision that he is not ready to start.

I'm an old fart. I come from an era where rookies rarely start anyway. To me he wouldn't be a bust if his first start was in September of 2013, not 2012.

> > and that he
> > would have been around in the second round
> > (something that some people, include NFL
> analysts
> > agree with).
>
> Can you show me a few links to back that up?
>
> I can remember one or two instances where serious
> pundits felt he was a second round talent.

RESPONSE: The majority of the pundits considered him, Dolphins' needs aside, a second round pick. You just need your memory, not links.

Again, the question is not where he WAS going to go, but if the Dolphins did not have a pick UNTIL THE FOURTH ROUND, most pundits would have said that Tannehill would not have been picked until the second round.

But i
> can also name a few who felt he was a top 5
> talent.

RESPONSE: Now there I would like to see a link. But I do remember that there was talk among pundits that Miami MIGHT HAVE TO TRADE UP TO NUMBER FIVE TO GET TANNEHILL.

But that was not an assessment of his worth! That was saying that there could have been teams that might have figured the Dolphins did not want to take a chance and might have been willing to trade up to make sure they got him.

But all that does is to reiterate that the Dolphins really wanted him and needed him. So outside of the opinion of the management of the Dolphins, there is still no independent opinion that Tannehill was worthy of a number 8, let alone a number 5.

Now, knowing Truth, he is going to come back with if that was a legitimate concern for the Dolphins, "doesn't that prove that somebody else thought he was as good as a number five?"

Answer is no. The fact that it didn't happen is what you should look at. That proves that even the Dolphins either 1) didn't think any other team thought that or 2) didn't THEMSELVES think he was worth a number 5 pick.

Sort of shoots your theory between the eyes, huh?

> I can't think of any that thought he'd
> actually be there for us in round two. But maybe
> I missed them.

RESPONSE: The majority did. That's what it means when the Dolphins have the number 8 pick (and no other first round pick) and the majority of pundits SAID THAT WE SHOULD NOT PICK HIM AT NUMBER 8.

By logic alone that means they thought he was a second round pick at best. And remember a lot of pundits who recognized we WOULD PICK him at number 8 did not do so on the basis of any assessment that he was worth a number 8 but on the basis that he had just played for Philbin in Philbin's system in college.
>
>
> > I also said he is a rookie that has
> > yet to prove anything (which is a stone cold
> > FACT).
>
> Something we can finally agree on.

Date: August 02, 2012 11:24AM

Date: August 02, 2012 11:49AM

Sorry C52 but as much as I supported Henne at that time he NEVER reminded me of Marino in any sense. As much as I hoped he would be...that's a pretty big stretch.

Date: August 02, 2012 01:15PM

That pass didnt look like Marino? After that game early in Henne's career, people were pretty happy with what they saw... He just never grew and made too many mistakes. My point is judging a QB is not a play or game or even one season really, is it, unless something remarkable happens. What are we expecting of Tannehill? When will we really know when he is the real deal or not? Henne was hot and cold... Consistency seems to be king for QB really being elite? How can we judge that so early into it? When will know? I know some people will say he is it, after his first good game, and some people will say he is a bust after his first poor performance.. Matt Ryan, played great his rookie year, has been a regular season stud, but hasnt been able to bring that success into the post season. Zero points scored offensively in his last play off game, and never won one. Can he really be considered as a QB that has made it or proven himself? I hope like you that Tannehill is our savior, but there is a long way to go IMO before we even have a clue about the answer to that question.

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 01:24PM by Crowder52.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.