HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Draft analysis
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Draft analysis
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:16PM

We talked a lot before the draft!

I give Ireland a B draft grade.

He would of got an A if he chose mcnutt or streeter over cunningham.

I was truly pleased with the prospects we chose....

This was truly a much different draft than most typical dolphin drafts.

This is precisely how a franchise can become great! With drafts like this!

I especially love the Lamar miller pick!

I love how dumb the beat writers are...thinking because we chose a tackle in round 2 ! That jake long will be traded...LOL

Dumb asses!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Draft analysis
Posted by: realist ()
Date: April 30, 2012 05:05PM

I am happy with the draft results. It isn't exciting as far as 2012 season goes...but...I feel like we are better over the long run.

My one concern is....the Tannehill pick was pretty much a well known fact.

They tried to say otherwise...but in the end...we did exactly what everyone said we would.

I thought aybe they were deliberatley creating Tannehill buzz as a smokescreen to disguise our true intentions....buy that was not the case.

The Cowboys generated some Mark Barron buzz and there was talk of trading up with us to get him. But they planned all along to jump up to get Clairborne.

No-one really saw the Trent Richardson pick coming.

I guess it is a product of being a QB desperate team. If Rt works out, we can play better draft poker. I just wish Ireland was better able to disguise our plans.

That aside....I am happy with this off-season.

Moore was improving, Gerrard provides safe but meaningful competition and Tannehill is in a perfect situation to develop. We improved our OL, improved competition at TE, and added some defensive competition.

June 1st cuts should provide 1 or 2 opportunities as well.

We are better.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 30, 2012 05:08PM

Our WR coach was McNutt's offensive coordinator at Iowa. So, Ireland had great insight into him, and we decided to pass on him. That tells you something. Streeter really doesn't fit the WCO, as he is not a guy who is going to run patterns across the middle. He's also very raw and only produced one year in college. He would not have contributed for us in 2012. Meanwhile, Cunningham is very physical, played in a pro style offense, and is Michigan's State's all time leader in receiving (he broke Andre Rison's records). And Matthews is much more polished than Streeter, too.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 06:00PM

realist,

I think Ireland has demonstrated a pretty good poker face. It was difficult to disguise our interest in Tannehill because, as you said, we needed a QB badly and we have his two college coaches on our staff, which is a pretty strong link. Plus, his poker face must not have been that bad because we got our guy, didn't have to trade up, and didn't get jumped by someone for Tannyhill.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 06:44PM

Rumor had us trying to trade down to get a DE also but Dallas jumped for Claiborne and Barron went off the board. If he had been there at 8 I expect we would have moved down

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 30, 2012 07:02PM

I don't find that true at all.

I think Ireland targeted Tannehill and wanted him at #8. All those other rumors were smokescreens.

JMO.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: May 01, 2012 02:29AM

LOL! I was just listening to Scott Ferell on the Howatd Stern show channel on Sirruis FM. He gave the Dolphins an A+ rating just for Ryan Tanehill's wife. Said he now have the 1 up on Tom Brady. Bunch of more stuff I can't repeat here. Funny though........

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 01, 2012 02:54AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't find that true at all.
>
> I think Ireland targeted Tannehill and wanted him
> at #8. All those other rumors were smokescreens.
>
> JMO.

I agree, I think Ireland was floating the rumor that he really wanted to trade down (Armando even admitted that the Dolphins org was trying to get the beat reporters to "leak" it) to hide his real intentions. I read somewhere that he only told his head scout and maybe Philbin so no one tipped his hand about Tannehill.
Like him or hate him, you have to give Ireland credit for having ice water in his veins when it comes to this sh.t.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: May 01, 2012 03:56AM

Ireland's now admitted he's been enamored with Tannehill since 2010. And we really couldn't have traded down unless it was one or two spots. Peter King guaranteed that Seattle would take Tannehill if he made it to them, and Buffalo and KC had serious interest, too. And Seattle's taking Wilson is proof they were in the market for another QB.

Date: May 01, 2012 04:27AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> > Like him or hate him, you have to give Ireland
> credit for having ice water in his veins when it
> comes to this sh.t.

True . I'm not an Ireland fan . This guy has me guessing what his next move will be and I'm always wrong. I wouldn't want to play poker with him.

Date: May 01, 2012 05:25AM

I honestly feel that Ireland even told Tannehill that we would take him, just look at Tannehill's wife, she was wearing a Dolphins colored dress.

---------------------

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 01, 2012 05:30AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I don't find that true at all.
>
> I think Ireland targeted Tannehill and wanted him
> at #8. All those other rumors were smokescreens.
>
> JMO.

I think that is the case as well.

From all his comments since the draft it seems that Ireland finally found a QB he could get at his price (no trade up) who he believed was a franchise guy.

Whether he's right about that or not will be determined over the next few seasons, but one thing is certain... He deserves kudos for reading the draft right and not throwing away picks like Cleveland did just to get his guy.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 01, 2012 06:37AM

I don't have a problem with anything Ireland did up until the 5th round. I would have liked to see a WR instead of special teams/LBer.

Juron Crider and Marvin Jones caught my eye as our 5th was approaching but I guess we'll see how that one turns out.

Also remember we took Lamar Miller over Ladarius Green TE, Bobby Massie OT, Devon Wylie WR, Nick Toon WR, Zebrie Sanders OT and Ron Brooks DB. Some names to watch out for as things progress. Just to see how they compare to our picks.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: May 01, 2012 02:39PM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 01, 2012 03:04PM

I am giving this Miami draft a C only because we didn't get the top name guys (although Martin was rated pretty high) and Miller, who was rated as a 2nd rounder.

This draft will come down to Tanney. If he becomes Miami's starting QB and stays there and leads Miami to the post season, then the grade can come up. From round 5 thru 7, I can't say because I don't know those players. Based on the Draft magazine that I have ((USA Today), the LB, DT, both WRs, and the last pick, weren't even listed in their top 20 for their respective positions.

So, a lot will depend on how they pan out.

But the key is Tanney.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: May 01, 2012 03:25PM

I really like this draft.

Especially, since I got 2 of the first picks correct in my mock (Tannehill & Egnew).

We added a franchise QB, starting caliber Right tackle, tall fast TE that can catch in the red zone, Talented RB that will all be our starting Kick Returner, Pass rushers, & WR's that can run good routes and hold on to the ball.

This is a real solid draft if the coach's can develop these guys properly.

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: May 01, 2012 03:51PM

The only concern I have is wide receiver...

Mcnutt was there....and we chose Cunningham instead...

Hopefully one of the wr's chosen pans out...

Think how solid we are at running back and offensive line.

We r just a right guard away from being REAL solid there.

Date: May 02, 2012 05:13AM

Jim B Wrote:
> I really like this draft.
>
> Especially, since I got 2 of the first picks
> correct in my mock (Tannehill & Egnew).
>
> We added a franchise QB, starting caliber Right
> tackle, tall fast TE that can catch in the red
> zone, Talented RB that will all be our starting
> Kick Returner, Pass rushers, & WR's that can run
> good routes and hold on to the ball.
>
> This is a real solid draft if the coach's can
> develop these guys properly.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
smileys with beer

I'm just glad Columbia-Phin didn't get any of his picks right!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.