HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pennington re-signing with FINS
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Pennington re-signing with FINS
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 04, 2010 01:33PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pennington re-signing with FINS
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 04, 2010 01:40PM

Hey, after Fiedler/Feely/Lemon/Green/.... I don't mind having these 4 on our roster (at least for now): Henne/Pennington/Thigpen/White.

If we're not serious about trying White at other positions besides QB, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the trading block. Someone out there may be willing to give us something for him. He didn't show too much last year to lower his stock that much.

I'd much rather keep Henne/Pennington/Thigpen, then either trade White or have him as a PR/KR/WR/RB/QB combination (ala Jim Jensen).

Date: March 04, 2010 01:42PM

White was awful last year and looked terrible throwing the ball. His stock is very low. We can't trade him, its not worth it..

Thigpen has no value either but we don't need him now so I can't see him being here much longer.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 04, 2010 01:42PM

I'd rather have thigpen than penny at this point. and we can't just give up on white this quick. if true this move makes no sense

Date: March 04, 2010 01:45PM

I don't know why you people love Thigpen so much. This guy was 3rd string in KC and KC is no NFL powerhouse these days. He came to Miami and did nothing.

This guy isn't special. He probably has no spot in Miami now.

Date: March 04, 2010 01:46PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White was awful last year and looked terrible
> throwing the ball. His stock is very low. We can't
> trade him, its not worth it..
>
White is only one-year removed from looking really good at WV. He was misused last year. There likely will be another team that's willing to give a 3rd,4th or 5th round pick for him.

> Thigpen has no value either but we don't need him
> now so I can't see him being here much longer.

I agree Thigpen isn't worth much, but he's a better QB than White.

Date: March 04, 2010 01:47PM

This ain't WV and he ain't playing against Syracuse and UCONN anymore. This the NFL and he can't get away with the things he got away with at WV on the football field

Almost every QB in the league is better than Pat White

Date: March 04, 2010 01:51PM

I think thigpen is good. with KC he threw more tds than ints his first year, which is really rare. and he put up some huge games (against us especially). then in his one game coming in cold off the bench for us, he looked as good as any QB has for us in years. true he threw a bad pick, but what do you expect in his first action of the year.

as for penny, this report doesn't make any sense. if he wants to be a starter, why would he sign with us right away? he'd do better on another team where he at least has a chance to start--and unless the team is a bunch of morons, henne should be our starter no questions asked. at least you'd think he's shop around for awhile.

Date: March 04, 2010 01:52PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I'd rather have thigpen than penny at this point.

I have to disagree. I could see Henne and Penny fighting it out for the starting job, and Henne winning (because of his arm strength). Then Penny would stick around as the 2nd string and second-set-of-eyes for Henne and the coaches (ala Don Strock). Marino had Strock from 83-87, and that played a HUGE role in Dan's development. I, for one, would welcome Penny back with open arms.

Thigpen is a good guy emergency (#3) QB to have on the roster. Who knows how healthy Penny truly is. It's not a crazy notion that Thigpen will see the field at some point next season.

As for White, he's not an NFL QB. That's was pretty much proven last year, but he's still a tremendous athlete. I could see him converting to WR and even PR or KR.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 04, 2010 01:53PM

I'm glad Penny is coming back, he's here to help Henne complete his training and will eventually become a great QB coach if he wants too. I think our depth chart will look like this :

1. Henne
2. penny
3. White

thigpen, maybe on the reserve team

Date: March 04, 2010 01:54PM

we could keep henne penny and thigpen, but not henne penny thigpen and white. and i don't see us just dumping white at this point after spending a mid 2d rounder on him (no way we get anything close to that in a trade). so something doesn't add up, which makes me think thigpen is gone, and unless we can get a high pick for him (we can't) I don't like it

Date: March 04, 2010 01:55PM

toko34 Wrote:
> thigpen, maybe on the reserve team

Not a chance. If he is even eligible to be on the practice squad, he won't last a week there. Someone else will pick him up.

Date: March 04, 2010 01:56PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> we could keep henne penny and thigpen, but not
> henne penny thigpen and white. and i don't see us
> just dumping white at this point after spending a
> mid 2d rounder on him (no way we get anything
> close to that in a trade). so something doesn't
> add up, which makes me think thigpen is gone, and
> unless we can get a high pick for him (we can't) I
> don't like it

I think we carry all 4 into training camp. After that point either White converts to WR or one of the other backups (NOT Henne) gets traded. I agree, I don't see us carrying 4 QBs on our roster, but I, honestly, don't think White is a viable QB.

Date: March 04, 2010 01:59PM

berkeley223 Wrote:

>
> as for penny, this report doesn't make any sense.
> if he wants to be a starter, why would he sign
> with us right away? he'd do better on another team
> where he at least has a chance to start--and
> unless the team is a bunch of morons, henne should
> be our starter no questions asked. at least you'd
> think he's shop around for awhile.

Penny can't play in a cold weather city though. His arm can't cut the wind and cold with his throws. And he might have explored some DOME teams and maybe there is no interest. So for him to stay 2nd string in a warm weather city, not have to move his family, and maybe have a place where he can move into coaching after football....being 2nd string in Miami isn't awful for him and his situation

Date: March 04, 2010 02:03PM

Does anyone remember how comfortable they felt when Marino would go down for a few plays and Strock would take over? The team wouldn't miss a beat, and we'd always have confidence that, in a pinch, Strock could win it for us. I think of Henne/Pennington as the same thing.

Date: March 04, 2010 02:07PM

i think penny would be a good backup if his arm is as it was in 2008. but how many shoulder surgeries can 1 qb have? and even in 2008 he was pretty much a rag arm--but agreed, he would give us a strock likw calming influence if he need to take over for 1/2 a game---but 1/2 a season? i'd rather have thigpen

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: March 04, 2010 02:11PM

CAN YOU SAY TRADE INCLUDING THIGPEN, AND BOLDIN. smiling smiley

Date: March 04, 2010 02:13PM

thigpen and 4TH could do it

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 04, 2010 03:07PM

The thing that makes the most sense is this;

1. Henne
2. Pennington
3. Thigpen
4. White...but listed as a PR/KR/WR/RB

This would give us a solid group of quarterbacks and would also allow White to get on the field every game while working with Pennington extensively. Thus making him a better prospect at quarterback in the future.

We get immediate value out of White and a solid group of quarterbacks for now as well as for the future.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 04, 2010 03:36PM

I doubt the Front office is washing their hands of Pat White or Tyler Thigpen just because they can squeeze another year out of Chad 'don't call me coach quite yet' Pennington.

They invested a 2nd rounder in Pat and have a 'non-traditional QB' role in mind. They are going to develop him and try and prove they weren't idiots for taking him.

Thigpen? Penny's signing would certainly be concerning for him, but he will still be looked at in Training Camp, and if he shows something worth looking at...they will continue to look.

But they aren't gonna just wash their hands.

Date: March 04, 2010 03:40PM

Well You could be right, but I got a feelin....

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 04, 2010 03:49PM

I agree,

Penny may even be the best QB 'today'...but Henne should develop to be better. But Penny is one hit away from being done...and is not going to be playing much beyond 2010.

Henne looks to be the guy...but he still has to prove a few things. And even the best starters need a reliable back-up.

White is not good enough as a 'QB' to be the back-up.

Thigpen hasn't proven that he is a starter...but he has shown some nice flashes..and he won the confidence of his teammates in KC. He has upside potential and has great back-up ability.

So like you said...Henne, Penny, Thiggy, and Whitey...as a slash guy

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 04, 2010 03:54PM

Unless we get someone like Boldin or Marshall we whould keep Thigpen. he is better than Pennigton who had a week arm before another injury.

Sign Chad and trade him

if the Rams take Suh or McCoy would they trade their second for Thigpen?

This kid is a Romo like sleeper

Date: March 04, 2010 03:55PM

Pat White is too small to be a slash guy. I mean the last time he left the pocket he was carted off the field in an ambulance

Date: March 04, 2010 03:59PM

Lol well Mike0 you finaly make a point I think we can all agree on.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 05, 2010 02:02AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 05, 2010 02:17AM

Mike, I think you were wrong about the bye bye Tyler and Pat thing.I think the reason why the Pennington deal hit a snag over the not-trade clause was because it was gonna be a sign and trade deal. So, bye-bye Chad.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 05, 2010 03:11AM

for someone who has me on IGNORE you respond to everynoe of my posts. Amazing

Date: March 05, 2010 03:14AM

Sign and Trade........ ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. This ain't the NBA son. There are no sign and trades in the NFL!! ha ha ha

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 05, 2010 03:52AM

Stop crying because I bust your head on every post.

And I'm not talking about a literal sign and trade deal...but if Chad isn't worried og getting traded, then why did he demand a no trade clause? Why did Miami stop the negotiations when he demanded that?

Mike, I really think you do not realize you are wrong on about every topic, huh!?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.