HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Idea of "Rebuilding"
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Idea of "Rebuilding"
Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:16AM

As I've read through several posts I've seen many people mentioning the term "rebuilding". The Dolphins are rebuilding..they're going to groom Tannehill..trade Jake Long...

I'm just curious if any of you who believe in the term rebuilding have any background as an athlete? That question is not meant as a shot, but just a question. I've always believed that rebuilding is simply a fall back excuse for fans who expect their teams to play poorly. It's April and we have guys busting their tails every day to make themselves better. Their sole focus is on the 2012 season. Don't tell a veteran that it's acceptable to have a mediocre year because the Dolphins are focused on 2014 and beyond. Don't tell a guy who's playing for his next contract that this season isn't the most important of his career.

Football is a team sport, but athletes love training in the off-season because it's their opportunity to make themselves better. They build on their strengths and identify weaknesses. The hours and the sweat that these guys put in is all geared towards now. These are professional athletes with a win now mentality.

Look no further than the 2011 Bengals. They entered the year coming off of a 4-12 season. All of the experts claimed that 2011 would be a rebuilding year for them. They started a rookie QB in week 1, along with a rookie WR and the Bengals went to the playoffs in arguably the toughest division in the NFL. Another example is the 2011 Broncos. They were also entering the season off of a 4-12 record the previous year. They had a new head coach, new system, inexperienced defense, injured starting running back, and were forced into changing to an unproven QB in Tebow. All the Broncos did was win their division and win a playoff game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 05:17AM by Hokie Phin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Idea of "Rebuilding"
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 28, 2012 05:25AM

I dont know if it's rebuilding as much as it's re-tooling. We're in the process of drastically changing schemes on both sides of the ball, different players fit different schemes, plus we have a lot of contracts up next year.....with todays lower salary cap, can't sign them all.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:02AM

I've always maintained that you are rebuilding every year if you dont have a franchise QB.

Once you have one, you are retooling.

The reason I say this is that if you don't have a franchise QB you dont win consistently. If you dont win consistently you turn over your staff and front office every 2-4 years. When you turn over your front office and staff every 2-4 years they are going to want their players and their personnel so you are constantly blowing up your roster.

We don't have a franchise QB on the field yet and we just hired a new staff. We are rebuilding.

On the plus side...We now have a young QB that could be that franchise guy. If he is, this is our last rebuilding cycle for a while.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:06AM

THE Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always maintained that you are rebuilding
> every year if you dont have a franchise QB.

Yup i agree.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:08AM

Curt needs to update the draft link and keep it updated. It only shows tannehill...Sorry maybe he doesnt have too much time on his hands.

He should let the moderators update this site.

Date: April 28, 2012 06:09AM

btw Hokie, to answer your question.

Yes, I have that background as an athlete and you are right.

Players don't look at it as rebuilding. Its just the next challenge in front of them.

But the fan perspective is more like the front office perspective...its bigger picture, not nose to the grindstone.

This is why I've always believed its a bad idea to have a coach who is also the GM.

As a coach its his job to focus on today. To get his players to buy into winning that practice snap, that scrimmage, that weeks game. It should be all that matters. He and they need to be focused on the "now".

The GM's job is to look big picture and longer term.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 28, 2012 07:50AM

What kind of athletic background do you have Truth?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 28, 2012 07:52AM

Date: April 28, 2012 08:05AM

Hokie Phin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of athletic background do you have
> Truth?

Check your PM's Hokie

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 28, 2012 12:29PM

You suckered me in, A & O.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 12:54PM

Reality is we got first round talent in 1, 2 and 4 and a third rounder in six.

Kheeston Randall replaces Langford

Wasted the 5th rounder, could have had Marvin Jone, Iloka or markelle Martin or OL help in Brandon Washington or Matt Mccants

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.