HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jimmy Johnson tweet about TV draft pundits
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jimmy Johnson tweet about TV draft pundits
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:13AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jimmy Johnson tweet about TV draft pundits
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:25AM

He is right.

I have bought the Mel Kiper Draft Report every year for about 20 years. He gives detailed statistical information, some personal background, and his thoughts on each player. It's a worthwhile source considering much of the trash out there. But, he offers very little real football insight. He may have a sentence or two with some vague football references, but nothing overly detailed. And then you hear a guy like Pat Kirwan talking about why a guy doesn't project to be a 5 technique, or how a particular WR can't run a full route tree, and it's like night and day.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 11:43AM

I knew that all along.

Commentators talk good about everyone..they definetely have to hit on players because they praise everyone.

I remember them saying how john beck was going to be great. How pay white was the perfect fit for the phins.

2 busts waiting to happen is what they were.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:01PM

Amen Jimmy, that's what I've been saying too.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

What's worse is when we see the fans believing evry thing they say, and the media starts slamming the team for not making their prognosticcations come true.

Bunk, hogwash ... they really don't know anything except what the read and feed on from each other

... Once in a while a few of these guys really do some research, interview or take trips to see people and have a story , but mostly they just feed off of one another

Date: April 26, 2012 12:14PM

Phinjim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... Once in a while a few of these guys really do
> some research, interview or take trips to see
> people and have a story ,

Yes but the problem is, they all think they are the ones that actually are good evaluators... Newspaper guys are even worse... Omar Kelly thinks he is the smartest guy in football, but he doesnt realize the joke is on him... Research is good but, who cares if they sit and watch tape, and have a read a book or 2 about football, we all do and have...
When your livelihood is based on your evaluations, I will listen to that guy..
Coach Philbin, even said himself, coaches tend to fall in love with a player to quickly, so we dont make great evaluators..(paraphrased)

SO if a Headcoach is saying that, what does that tell you about a reporter or pundit, who watches some tape and read some books.. WHen a HC is honest about it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 26, 2012 12:18PM

I will give Omar some credit for trying. He actually gets cut-ups of coaches' tape for specific players. I don't know if he knows what he's watching, but that is the right way to do it. I love when fans say they've been "watching film" on a player, and by that, they mean watching clips on youtube.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:19PM

I don't disagree Crowder but at the bottom of the barrel (to me) are the guys that just read and repackage for their own story.

Next are the guys that have some real insight because they have played and or at least spent time with the prospects, and or coaches and reporting something unique.

At the top of the heap are those that are trusted enough by players and coaches to really get the "truth" or inside scoop, because the players and coaches know they are gonna tell it right and not burn them just to make a headline. (Those are the cream of the crop)

- Even that group steps over the line at times

Date: April 26, 2012 12:31PM

dolfanmark Wrote:

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 12:35PM by Crowder52.

Date: April 26, 2012 12:35PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will give Omar some credit for trying. He
> actually gets cut-ups of coaches' tape for
> specific players. I don't know if he knows what
> he's watching, but that is the right way to do it.
> I love when fans say they've been "watching film"
> on a player, and by that, they mean watching clips
> on youtube.

I just watch full games on a good screen, with slow motion, rewind,zoom etc... I rewatch games and just focus on a certain area of the game , the secondary, the line, etc... That is tape to me... Maybe I dont have every angle, but I do get great insight.. I love slowmotion zoom,
Dolfanmark, you told me if I wanted to see how good Tannehill was to study the Baylor tape..Him playing against one of the worse defense in the game.... is that how you"watch film" on players?

Nietzsche

Date: April 26, 2012 01:35PM

To do anything meaningful, you need coach's tape, showing every player on the field. And you need to know the play, and what everyone is supposed to be doing. Without that view and without that context, it's meaningless. I don't have access to either, or the expertise.

Date: April 26, 2012 06:36PM

Say what you want , JJ knows his shit. thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.