HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I'm getting depressed...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I'm getting depressed...
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:26AM

…thinking about all the blown picks over the past 4 years and the lack of real impact playmakers on this team. Truth is, we have a TON of needs including positions we’ve been tying to solve every draft!

QB OL WR DL LB S CB and… Man this crap is getting old. Either solve the problem Ireland or go suck wind somewhere else. The only hope we have is that Parcells ran all those drafts and pretty much made every pick because the results SUCK IMO.

Jake Long is now the ONLY player left from the 2008 draft – when we had the #1 pack in EVERY round. That’s pathetic. Especially when you consider the junk we had on the roster. We got 2 CB’s (neither of which are world beaters IMO) in 2009 along with Hartline, who has proven to be average at best. 2010 looks pretty weak and no one has really stepped up and made the type of impact you MUST HAVE in order to have a winning team. 2011 gave us a very solid C and an injury prone RB. The rest is unproven though Clay showed some positive signs. But again, where the hell are the big impact players???

The protractor don’t work on draft day guys. We need someone who can really evaluate talent and not just crunch numbers. We can only hope it changes right now. But the odds are this draft will remind us of previous drafts all too soon.

BNF.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm getting depressed...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:28AM

funny thing is ireland was kept on b/c he's a great "scout" and talent evaluator. your list above is nothing short of horrible.
but hey, even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then, so maybe this year the law of averages catches up and we pick some bona fide stats (not brian hartline, I mean actually GOOD players)

Date: April 26, 2012 09:39AM

a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then...

Ain't that the truth. I'd like to know how much $$$ is spent, all things considered, on "talent acquisition." It has to be a ridiculous number. In the real world outside of the fantasy NFL world, no one would get paid like that based on the junkie results.

Date: April 26, 2012 09:47AM

Jimmy Johnson was the last person to get us some Truley great team Members. Sure he missed as well, but we had a Killer Defense and a Few Hall members under his belt. Ross ought to bring him back as a "draft Consultant". he lives just down the road.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2012 09:50AM

the bar has been set so low around here that folks like sean smith and brian hartline are being held out as evidence that ireland is a good drafter. We seem to forget that pro bowl players are acquired thru the draft, many times in the lower rounds, and that the only pro bowler ireland drafted was jake long, the #1 overall pick in the draft (and only the 2d ever OL picked that high, so it's hard to much that up)

Date: April 26, 2012 09:58AM

I was always a big fan of JJ. He just plain burned out. But his eye for talent was the best in the league for a number of years.

I've been trying to give Ireland the benefit of the doubt even when I wanted him gone several years back. But the results are just too freaking obvious is you use a critical eye. Even his best pick, Jake Long, was a step down when you consider we could have taken Ryan.

If you go back and really evaluate all those drafts we missed on a TON of talent that was on the board at the time. I mean it's just too many... There's not instance when you can say, yea, that was the best pick on the board. Not ONCE! It's not impossible because other teams are doing it.

Oh well.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 26, 2012 12:09PM

A complete team does more than draft ... they develop and keep good players ... look at NE and Pittsburg for a model.

I'm a lot more positive than this thread presents it, but I feel a lot better about the intellect of this coaching staff and its ability to make what we have get better.

Drafting is one piece of it, coaching, retainihng, and making people get better is the package we need to round out before the needs list goes down - IMHO

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 26, 2012 01:59PM

Do you guys think that our QB woes could have been solved in the 2007 draft if Miami had taken Aaron Rodgers instead of Ronnie Brown?

Date: April 26, 2012 02:08PM

Aaron Rodgers = hot smiley

Really good drafting = landing guys like Aaron Rodgers when you have the chance. Ireland has done SQUAT in that deptment. Coaches don't create talent in a test tube. Don't fool yourself about how critical the draft is for coaches like Philbin, or any coach for that matter.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 27, 2012 01:51AM

Phinjim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A complete team does more than draft ... they
> develop and keep good players ... look at NE and
> Pittsburg for a model.
>
> I'm a lot more positive than this thread presents
> it, but I feel a lot better about the intellect of
> this coaching staff and its ability to make what
> we have get better.
>
> Drafting is one piece of it, coaching, retainihng,
> and making people get better is the package we
> need to round out before the needs list goes down
> - IMHO

thumbs up

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 05:14AM

Ive been depressed about all the blown picks fo r the last 20 years now...

It started with

1. john avery
2. Eddie moore
3. Jason allen
4. ted Ginn

before that shula drafted a couple of OLs....one in the first and one in the second round.....who stunk..

And god know who else am missing...And it canttttt be good...

ever since we stunk so bad that we picked high in the first...

ronnie brown who was good but injured all the time...

Jake long injured as well....so much talent there.

Ostrich ostrick or whatever....injured but came back strong last year...

And last year the rookie center whos looking good....

Before ronnie it was a mess..

After ronnie...we stunk so bad that we had to get somebody good....

Hopefully this year tannehill will become something positive for this organization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 05:15AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: April 27, 2012 05:42AM

"before that shula drafted a couple of OLs....one in the first and one in the second round.....who stunk.. "

Hope you're not talking about Keith Sims and Richmond Webb

Date: April 27, 2012 05:44AM

ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "before that shula drafted a couple of OLs....one
> in the first and one in the second round.....who
> stunk.. "
>
> Hope you're not talking about Keith Sims and
> Richmond Webb

Hell no....you kiddin?

After them there were two other OL drafted by shula....maybe some will recall their names...

Date: April 27, 2012 05:47AM

Billy milner and andrew greene

Date: April 27, 2012 05:48AM

billy milner 1st round andrew greene second round terrible picks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.