HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2008 draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
2008 draft
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 23, 2012 09:08AM

when the "trifecta" took over we had the #1 overall pick in each round (and our second was #32, really a first), plus a mid-second rounder in the Jason Taylor trade. After today's release of Merling, we've got 1 player to show for it, Jake Long, a great player but hurt a lot and also makes too much money given the state of our team. that is really abysmal.

remind me again why Jeff Ireland is such a great talent evaluator/drafter? Oh, right, he was just the gm back then, he had no real role in picking the players.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2008 draft
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 23, 2012 10:23AM

I don't know, berk. I'm getting afraid for you. You're complaining too much. You are going to run afoul of the Sunshine Boys, who are happy with the way things have been, are, and are going to, go.

Date: April 23, 2012 10:33AM

eh, I've always been a complainer. The shine wore off for me re this team around the time of the harbaugh fiasco. Complaining about it keeps me sane.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 23, 2012 10:54AM

Berk, over the course of Jake Longs careers, how many games do you think he has missed? and when were those games?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 23, 2012 10:58AM

he's never missed a game till the end of last season. but the fact is he played essentially 1 armed the last 1/2 of the season before, and was not that effective--he should've missed those games. And he missed all of the last preseason with knee injuries, and wasn't effective at the start of the season as a result. So that's 2 season where he had major/non-minor injuries that caused him to miss games or severely hampered his play, probably the equivalent of 12-14 games. I get he's a tough guy, but even the toughest succumb to injury and he hasn't been dominant IMO since before he hurt his shoulder.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 23, 2012 10:59AM

Sure Berk, but this is the age up-to-the-minute short-term information. 2008 is ancient history. Ireland is still a genius. I mean he signed Cam Wake. Ignore everything else, because none of that matters. drinking smiley

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 23, 2012 11:01AM

The same people who say Ireland had no say in that draft will be the same ones who defend Ireland if he passes on Ryan Tannehill this year.

If Ireland passes on Tannehill and drafts a different QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, they will then praise his genius and post youtube videos of a QB who that know nothing about, but they suddenly become a believer in.

Date: April 23, 2012 11:02AM

Let's put it THIS way. How many points have been directly attributed to Jake Long? How many games has he won MVP for?

I understand the value of a good LT, but I've been saying for years that we have way too much money tied up in the O-Line. Add to that we had a former O-Line coach as a HC...and we STILL had a below-average O-Line!!

Date: April 23, 2012 11:07AM

Hokie Phin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The same people who say Ireland had no say in that
> draft will be the same ones who defend Ireland if
> he passes on Ryan Tannehill this year.
>
> If Ireland passes on Tannehill and drafts a
> different QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, they will
> then praise his genius and post youtube videos of
> a QB who that know nothing about, but they
> suddenly become a believer in.

Agreed. It's Ireland's track record with QBs that really concerns me. Chad Henne...Pat White...ugh!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 23, 2012 11:09AM

So if all we are going to do is complain, bitch, moan, and not have a little faith....

Then why are we watching? What is the point? Stop being a fan of this team and go watch a franchise who is ran well, already built and contending for a Superbowel.

Like the pats, Packers, Steelers, or Giants.

You guys would love life then.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 23, 2012 11:11AM

A&O: Complaining isn't ALL we do, but we have a right to bitch from time to time. At the moment, there's a whole lot to bitch about. I see it as lowering our expectations so we can be pleasantly surprised with the upcoming season.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 23, 2012 11:15AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> So if all we are going to do is complain, bitch,
> moan, and not have a little faith....
>
> Then why are we watching? What is the point? Stop
> being a fan of this team and go watch a franchise
> who is ran well, already built and contending for
> a Superbowel.
>
> Like the pats, Packers, Steelers, or Giants.
>
> You guys would love life then.

BINGO

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 23, 2012 11:16AM

montequi Wrote:
> Let's put it THIS way. How many points have been
> directly attributed to Jake Long? How many games
> has he won MVP for?

Ok, lets go over it, lets look at the top 8 picks in that draft... How many play off games has Matt Ryan won?
Lets talk about Chris Long, another option in the top 5.
Ok now lets talk about Darren Mcfadden? How many games has he missed? Would you rather have Mcfadden then Jake Long, strictly because he has scored TD's?
I will continue,#5 how about Glenn Dorsey, many wanted him?
How about the Jets and Gholston at 6, that was ingenious...
Now lets talk seven Sedrick Ellis, decent player but not more valuable then Jake Long...
How about number 8, Derrick Harvey, that would have been a peach..lol

Out of all of those picks there are 2 probowlers. Jake Long and Matt Ryan.
Now lets look at how many probowlers Matt Ryan has around him on offense, and how far he has been able to take the Falcons?

Jake Long was a good pick sorry... it could have been much much worse... I dont mind you taking shots at the other picks, I dont agree with dissing them for pick Jake Long in that draft...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 23, 2012 11:18AM

I don't need another NFL team to watch. I prefer watching college football. Always have, always will. But as a fan of the Dolphins, we all have the right to think for ourselves and not ignorantly believe that everything Jeff Ireland touches will turn to gold.

Date: April 23, 2012 11:30AM

my point isn't that jake Long isn't good. He is good, if not great, barring injuries, which he's had a number of lately.

my point is that 5 years on, for a draft where we picked 1st in each round and had an extra second round pick, all we have to show for it is Jake Long. And our O-line still stinks. And we have no QB.

This isn't being negative. There's only a limited # of things we can talk about on this board, however; broadly, they are: (1) the past; (2) the present; and (3) the future. Most of what we can discuss about #1 is assuredly negative, the same with #2. And it's hard to be optimistic about #3 when the guy most responsible for the recent past and present is still running the show, with the added bonus of a clueless and increasingly meddling owner to muck it up even more.

Date: April 23, 2012 12:11PM

Listen,

All I'm saying is that you guys with high blood pressure will have a better life if you follow the Packers or Giants. I promise.

---------------------

Date: April 23, 2012 12:17PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Listen,
>
> All I'm saying is that you guys with high blood
> pressure will have a better life if you follow the
> Packers or Giants. I promise.

Thanks doc

Date: April 23, 2012 12:21PM

Your welcome bud! thumbs upsmileys with beersmileys with beergrinning smiley

---------------------

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 23, 2012 12:35PM

montequi Wrote:
> A&O: Complaining isn't ALL we do,

Very true, sometimes you guys wax rhapsodic about how great a CB Jason Allen was...smileys with beer

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: April 23, 2012 12:45PM

Date: April 23, 2012 01:42PM

first, polite wasn't a draft pick, so any list that includes him ain't worth my time. plus we cut polite last year so how is that a "good" pick by any measure? same with hilliard, he's not on the team any more and didn't do squat here. long was #1 overall, he better be good, and he is, if hurt. pouncy was the highest drafted C ever---same answer. vontea is solid but not a pro bowler. the rest of the guys on your list are average at best. this list just confirms how weak our drafts have been.

Date: April 23, 2012 03:41PM

Hey I'm a lifelong Phins fan, always. I became a fan Marino's rookie year, I was 5. I have had my hopes crushed every year of my life from a very young age, always hoping they would figure it out. All of us have the right to be pissed off and sick of our Miami Dolphins not winning the Super Bowl, and until they WIN IT ALL, we all are going to be a little bit sensitive!

Date: April 23, 2012 03:48PM

I mean seriously, looking at that doucher Eli winning two superbowls, and Marino none... Come On! The dolphins let Marino down, while the Broncos put a team together to get Elway two!

Date: April 23, 2012 04:17PM

Date: April 23, 2012 04:57PM

Montana,

Also understand that some posters still believe 1950's football is still being played.

---------------------

Date: April 23, 2012 05:05PM

kim bokamper? dude that guy was horrible. if we took kim bokamper at #8 overall I'd be PISSED!

Date: April 23, 2012 06:09PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> kim bokamper? dude that guy was horrible. if we
> took kim bokamper at #8 overall I'd be PISSED!

I remember when we drafted Bokamper. KIM Bokamper! I kept trying to figure out why we drafted a chick. Maybe to bolster our cheerleading squad? drinking smiley

Date: April 23, 2012 07:52PM

Yeah, I remember it differently. I remember him being the leader of the Killer Bees, and I remember he generated more touchdowns as a defensive player by batting up and making for the intercepting of passes in the endzone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 08:01PM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:35AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Montana, when you say "put a team together" what
> you have to realize is that you are talking to a
> chatboard with a significant amount of posters who
> believe that the rest of the team doesn't matter.
> They keep saying that this is a
> "quarterback-driven league."
>
> In short, they believe that in today's football
> league, a QB ought to be able to do it all by
> himself if he is really a good QB.
>
> That's why they believe that if at the number 8
> pick, we could get a Kim Bokamper or a Larry
> Little, we ought to not even think of that but we
> should draft the next best quarterback on the
> board and later build a team around him.
>
> And if he's turns out to be no good, they believe
> we just draft a quarterback the next year in the
> first round and keep on drafting a quarterback
> FIRST in the first round every year afterwards
> until we find our Dan Marino. Then they will
> allow you to draft a team to put around him but
> not a second before. To them it's like putting the
> cart before the horse.

This IS a QB-driven league. Can't get around that.

The rest of this board realizes fully that this team needs more than just a QB. What you also need to remember is that Miami has been drafting every position EXCEPT QB in the first round since Danny boy retired, and we are STILL searching for that #1 QB that can get this team where they need to be. A DE is not going to get us there; an OLB is not going to get us there; a S is not going to get us there. See where I'm going? Naturally, a QB (alone) is not going to get us there, either, without weapons on both sides of the ball, but without that franchise QB, this team doesn't stand much of a chance.

Bokamper was a good player, but that's about it. He was solid. Larry Little? He did almost nothing and was cut. Miami picked him up and with good coaching (Shula) and a good team around him, he became one of the best tackles in the league. But when he was being drafted, no way at #8.

And regrettably, yes, that's the way it goes: if the QB turns out to be no good, you keep going after one until you finally click on the right one. Get that franchise guy, and many of the problems are fixed (unless the whole team sucks). But, get lucky on that guy and draft the rest of the needs, then positive things can start to happen.

BTW - there are very few Dan Marino's in this world. If Miami can get a Bob Griese, I will be happy.

Date: April 24, 2012 12:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.