HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2 things I have just come to notice about our coaching staff
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
2 things I have just come to notice about our coaching staff
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 05, 2012 03:55PM

First, Philbin like Tony Sparano, background is really an offensive line coach. Curious to me, I didnt realize he came from the offensive line coaching pedigree like our last coach...

Second, we have alot of Texas A&M ex coaches and alumni on our team. QB, Oline, TE, and Offensive Cordinator. SHerman's obvious connections.. But we coincidentally have, others like Dan Cambell our TE coach from last year as well, who is also Texas A&M player alumni.
For better or worse we are TExas A&M on the offensive side of the ball. We cant get away from Texas no matter how hard we try, it was Dallas and now A&M..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 things I have just come to notice about our coaching staff
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 05, 2012 04:08PM

Part of the deal was that Philbin wasn't allowed to bring Green Bay guys with him. So, guys with Sherman connections were the main options.

Date: April 05, 2012 04:26PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Part of the deal was that Philbin wasn't allowed
> to bring Green Bay guys with him. So, guys with
> Sherman connections were the main options.

Which deal? If a coach's contract was expiringon green bays staff, he should have been able to lobby them no? I thought since he was the offensive cordinator, and he choose Sherman as his offensive cordinator, a coach under contract can only interview for a job if it is a promotion? How could Green Bay specifically prevent Philbin from offering a coach on their staff a promotion? Couldnt Philbin, if he had wanted to offer Green Bays WR coach, the offensive cordinator position, could have done that?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 05, 2012 05:13PM

Basically McCarthy and Philbin made a hand-shake deal that Philbin would not raid Green Bay's staff.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Phinvincible ()
Date: April 05, 2012 10:52PM

Maybe Sherman actually rates them highly? Just a thought.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 06, 2012 01:25AM

Right A&O. In general, it is unwritten rule in the NFL that new head coaches or new GMs won't raid their former teams staff.

Date: April 06, 2012 03:22AM

And Philbin was under contract in Green Bay. They gave him permission to interview with us. And part of the deal is, "if you get the job, you ain't takin' anyone with you."

Date: April 06, 2012 03:56AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> And Philbin was under contract in Green Bay. They
> gave him permission to interview with us. And part
> of the deal is, "if you get the job, you ain't
> takin' anyone with you."

I am not sure what you are talking about. As long as the interview happens between the end of the season and March 1. Green Bay had to give Philbin permission to interview with us, even if he is under contract...It is part of the promotions rule in the NFL. The only time they are not required to allow an under contract coach to interview is if it happens after March 1 or during the season.

Nietzsche

Date: April 06, 2012 04:11AM

A&O, it is not an unwritten rule, the promotion rule doesnt apply to assistants.
So any coach undercontract can not interview for another assistant position without permission from the team under contract. It is why it was Ireland who had to let Mike Nolan interview for a Lateral move in Atlanta.. ANd his destiny was in our control.. Same thing applies...
Green Bay assistant coaches under contract, were completely in Green Bays control, unless they were interviewing for Head Coaching job, as was Philbin.

THis was not a deal between Philbin and Mcarthy, these are rules in the NFL as it relates to this type of process....

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 04:13AM by Crowder52.

Date: April 06, 2012 07:29AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> dolfanmark Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And Philbin was under contract in Green Bay.
> They
> > gave him permission to interview with us. And
> part
> > of the deal is, "if you get the job, you ain't
> > takin' anyone with you."
>
>
> I am not sure what you are talking about. As long
> as the interview happens between the end of the
> season and March 1. Green Bay had to give Philbin
> permission to interview with us, even if he is
> under contract...It is part of the promotions rule
> in the NFL. The only time they are not required to
> allow an under contract coach to interview is if
> it happens after March 1 or during the season.

But it is entirely up to the team whether or not to allow any assistants to leave for anything less than a head coaching position.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: April 06, 2012 08:31AM

Green Bay has a history of NOT allowing other teams to raid their coaching staff.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:30PM

AD Brandt has talked about this on Sirius NFL radio, the Packers family has an unwritten rule that if you leave on good terms, you do not raid the coaching cupboard if you wanna stay on good terms. McKenzie just did the same thing out in Oakland, I'm sure there's been a few instances of a low ranking coach following someone out the door for a big promotion, but It's few and far between.

Date: April 06, 2012 01:31PM

Saprano's offense was TRULEY ofensive. eye rolling smiley

Date: April 07, 2012 06:39AM

There is no unwritten rule... It is actually a rule, assistants under contract can not interview with other teams... And when a team does allow it, it is becasue they wanted to get rid of the coach anyways...lol...
This respect and unwritten rules you talk about does not exist... NFL teams will look to get an edge any way the can... If a Green Bay coach's contracts is expiring next year that Philbins values, he will go after that guy in a second... If he didnt, he wouldnt be worth hiring.. Philbins loyalty to Mccarthy will not prevent him trying to hire a coach who is not undercontract.. You want your headcoach to go after getting the best coaches he can.. If he doesnt, then he isnt loyal to the organization paying him.. If they are under contract, you dont get a shot... Unless, they are looking to unload a coach under contract... This unwritten law, you all talk about amuses me... come on guys... THis is the NFL, not a neighborhood game of pick up flag football...

Nietzsche

Date: April 07, 2012 07:00AM

Well obviously you're more connected to the Packers then Andrew Brandt I guess.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: April 07, 2012 08:34AM

good one dolph lol

Date: April 07, 2012 01:55PM

I dont need to be connected, when I actually read the rules, and dont act like I know about something I am just guessing to know about... I asked, becasue I didnt know, the answer I was getting around here sounded like people pretending to know about something but really had no idea, so I looked it up in the rule book... Pretty simple, I dont need to read somebody else to get the answer from some vauge report they made, that others interpret a million ways.. When you dont know you ask, if you dont know, it dosnt mean you have to make something up, and then tell me I am not in the know like the guy they read..WTF? It is ok, if you dont know everything, just dont make shit up and act like you do......

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 01:56PM by Crowder52.

Date: April 07, 2012 02:48PM

So you're saying Philbin couldn't of hired the QB coach as our OC? Or the linebackers coach as our DC? Uh yeah, pretty sure I'll take the word of Brandt who spent about 10 years in the Packers org over someone using Google. And for the record, I could really give a shit about this topic, just telling you what someone in the know said about this exact topic when Philbin was hired.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 07, 2012 03:46PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> So you're saying Philbin couldn't of hired the QB
> coach as our OC? Or the linebackers coach as our
> DC? Uh yeah, pretty sure I'll take the word of
> Brandt who spent about 10 years in the Packers org
> over someone using Google. And for the record, I
> could really give a shit about this topic, just
> telling you what someone in the know said about
> this exact topic when Philbin was hired.

Crowder has it right on this subject guys.

The NFL looks at all assistants the same now. A move from LB coach to Defensive Co-ordinator is a lateral move in their eyes. Teams are not obligated to let assistants under contract interview for positions with another team unless its the head coaching spot, and there are windows of time after the regular season where they can and cannot interview for HC spots.

In the vast majority of instances teams do not stand in the way of lower level assistants interviewing for co-ordinator spots but it does happen.

I think Pete Carmichael Jr was on our radar for OC a few years ago and the Saints wouldn't let us talk to him.

Still, the NFL coaching community is a fraternity. No team wants to be put in a position of denying their younger assistants the opportunity to better themselves. It creates bad blood and bad PR.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that McCarthy and Philbin had a gentleman's agreement that they would promote him as a HC candidate and Philbin wouldn't ask them to interview any of their assistants. But there's no way to know for sure.

Date: April 07, 2012 03:50PM

I heard the same thing Dolphaholic,

I just tired of arguing with Crowder and Reppa at this time period, so Im just not gonna do it for a while.

The horse has already been beaten to dust when dealing with a few posters on here.

---------------------

Date: April 07, 2012 03:54PM

Truth,

We understand the rules. But, ultimately what we are speaking of, is that Green Bay didnt want to "deny" an assistant the opportunity to move.

They just asked Philbin, "DOn't ask". He said "ok".

If you start denying people opportunities, then sometimes it starts and underlying friction that may cause problems.

So, if Philbin doesnt ask, then GB doesnt have to say no.

If GB didnt care, Im pretty sure Philbin would have raided the entire staff for who he though was the real deal.

---------------------

Date: April 07, 2012 03:54PM

Croyle was an asst in Cincy, no? Pretty sure if Philbin would of asked, Green Bay would of had to reluctantly let their coaches go. Reggie McKenzie could of decimated G Bay as well and he didn't.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 07, 2012 04:12PM

Date: April 07, 2012 04:54PM

But Im pretty sure that exactly what I heard. I heard the interview where Brandt said that Philbin was told to not even ask for permission. Just a hand shake thing between McCarthy and Philbin.

---------------------

Date: April 07, 2012 05:13PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Yes, Green Bay would have likely let us interview
> anyone we wanted to had we formally requested
> permission. But Philbin isn't about to shit
> where he eats, afterall...he might need a job
> someday if this gig doesn't work out.

Isn't this the same thing I said three hours ago?

Date: April 08, 2012 04:54AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> So you're saying Philbin couldn't of hired the QB
> coach as our OC? Or the linebackers coach as our
> DC? Uh yeah, pretty sure I'll take the word of
> Brandt who spent about 10 years in the Packers org
> over someone using Google.

No we couldnt have, it was completely in the control of Green Bay... The promotions rule in the NFL does not apply to assistants..
Sorry you are so mad I am right and you misinterpreted your heroes words, but you did... You guys are ridiculous, in your lack of trust in what I say... You would rather spin and contort something some guy said, who you have a man crush on, then accept the facts of the matter... lol... Whats the point anymore, you all can not even accept reality.. You would rather happily live in your own dellusions, then accept you are wrong....lol... good luck with that, it should really treat you well in life with that attitude and approach...WTF?

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 04:55AM by Crowder52.

Date: April 08, 2012 05:07AM

Date: April 08, 2012 05:14AM

Happy Easter Crowder......smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 05:24AM by dolphaholic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.