HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Our #1
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Our #1
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 03, 2012 09:34AM

I am just hoping we don't reach like we did with Pat White and a take a guy a round or two before he should go, especialy with a top 10 pick.
Reality is a couple of months ago Tannehill was a second -third round pick, and now without playing a game, he is top 10? Sounds like a great PR machine to me, including other teams trying to get us desperately reach so other guys fall. Is he better than Colt MCCoy? Matt Moore? Pat Devlin?

We had insight on Flynn and said no at what he was asking, hopefully we do the same with Tannehill and get the best difference maker at a position we need, or based on talent evaluation, trade down and get a couple as we have a lot of holes to fill.

Pats may move up we should seriously consider their two firsts and a later pick or with someone else for a 2

We have the opportunity to fill bigger holes at DE, S, WR TE and OL in the first 3-4 rounds with quality talent and be a much better team than reaching in the first

I guess only time will tell!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Our #1
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 03, 2012 10:01AM

Depends on your sources. Tannehill was being touted as our possible #1 pick as soon as Barkely decided to stay in school. He is considered a better prospect than any QB from last year's draft aside from Cam Newton.

It is not a PR machine. He has been evaluated in person and on tape by people like Brandt, Cosell, McShay, Lande, Polian, and Mayock, and there is uniform agreement that he is a potential franchise QB.

The bottom line is that there are 3 potential franchise QBs in this draft, and he is one of them.

Last week on Sirius NFL radio, Bill Polian, who ran the Colts for years, said that the only negative on him is his lack of experience. He called him the ideal west coast offense QB. And that he throws better on the move than Luck or Griffin.

It's about upside. He has the upside of an elite QB. We can take a chance on elite. Or we can wait and take Cousins or Osweiler, and hope they can develop into a caretaker type QB.

Date: April 03, 2012 10:15AM

If we pick him, we all hope he is the real deal.

The fact that Sherman ranked him third in depth on a college team a few years back scares me. Has he really came that far in a year and a half? His stats againt the better college defenses don't show that
s
Anything is posible though.

I remember Kiper questioning Polian years ago. His results in recent years with the Colts are questionable so I am not sure how much value we can put on the Polians, Kiper, Mayock, Brandt, Casserly etc.

Hopefully whatever we do it works out well for us, we can't keep wasting picks

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 03, 2012 10:32AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we pick him, we all hope he is the real deal.
>
> The fact that Sherman ranked him third in depth on
> a college team a few years back scares me. Has he
> really came that far in a year and a half? His
> stats againt the better college defenses don't
> show that
> s
> Anything is posible though.
>
> I remember Kiper questioning Polian years ago. His
> results in recent years with the Colts are
> questionable so I am not sure how much value we
> can put on the Polians, Kiper, Mayock, Brandt,
> Casserly etc.
>
>
> Hopefully whatever we do it works out well for us,
> we can't keep wasting picks

When they went away from Jerrod Johnson, they chose Tannehill. He wasn't third. And when he took over, they went 6-0, including Tannehill becoming the first QB to beat Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska in one season. You have to remember, Johnson was considered a Heisman candidate that year. And Johnson is currently with the Steelers. This is not some no-talent he was behind.

I am amazed at people who doubt the Polians and Brandts of the world, people who have made their living evaluating football talent. They have forgotten more football than anyone on this board would ever know. I know football fans like to think they are really knowledgable. But, really? Football is an extremely complex game. These guys understand nuances that we will never know. Watching clips of a guy on youtube is not watching film. When these guys watch film, they are watching coaches' tape, which shows every player on the field. And they understand what they are looking at, what defensive scheme is being used, what receivers are supposed to be doing. After the Super Bowl, Jim Miller broke down exactly what happened on that play to Manningham, and it was so complex that no average fan could appreciate what went into that play. These real football guys know what they are doing.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:16AM

true mark, but often experts have opposite views on the same player, or get them completely wrong, so it's not like you can just take what any one "expert" says as gospel. If that were the case Gil Brandt and Polian wouldn't have missed on players when they were in the league.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:43AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> true mark, but often experts have opposite views
> on the same player, or get them completely wrong,
> so it's not like you can just take what any one
> "expert" says as gospel. If that were the case Gil
> Brandt and Polian wouldn't have missed on players
> when they were in the league.

Very true, but the one guy who has the most knowledge about Tannehill is Mike Sherman, we have a very unique situation in that he currently works for the Dolphins, if he says take him, you take him, end of story.

Posted by: rick1355 ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:57AM

I hope the Browns get him. He is not worth a #8 pick. Not enough experience at the QB position. Will take a couple of years to get ready to play at the NFL level....... Go Browns !

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:59AM

Let's not downplay Jeff Ireland's ability to evaluate talent either.

Whether Ireland is a good GM or not is for a different debate, but Ireland as an evaluator cannot be argued.

He is one of the best.

In my opinion, if IRELAND like him, then we take him. He probably appreciates Shermans input, but Ireland drives this care.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 03, 2012 12:00PM

rick1355 Wrote:
> I hope the Browns get him. He is not worth a #8
> pick. Not enough experience at the QB position.
> Will take a couple of years to get ready to play
> at the NFL level....... Go Browns !

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Really?

What team were you an scout for? What talent have you evaluated? Have you ever been a GM?

Coaching rec. ball doesnt count. This is big boy stuff.

To come on here and factually state that a player is/is not, is being a little over your head when you dont have the credentials to speak like that.

---------------------

Date: April 03, 2012 12:02PM

Mark, dolphaholic, and myself have never said Tannehill was garuanteed to be this or that.

Never.

Matter of fact, Chyren, Crowder, and Rick are the ones throwing around words like "overdrafting" and "bust" and "not 1st round talent".

---------------------

Date: April 03, 2012 12:03PM

Rick just sounded like people last year who swore up and down that Cam Newton would need 2-3 years to develop into an NFL QB.

---------------------

Date: April 03, 2012 12:12PM

I have the credentials and time will tell A&O. Lets just hope the phins use the #8 pick wisely. This is a great draft to pick up some key impact players who could contribute right away. Tannehill is just not one of them. I wouldn't mind picking him up in the latter rounds though .........

Date: April 03, 2012 12:25PM

It would be funny to see your "credentials".

---------------------

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 03, 2012 12:30PM

A&O, I am just saying he is not worth the #8 pick. The overdrafting was a word Dolphaholic quoted Kiper as using to describe him. I never said bust... I said project. DOnt throw my name around unless you are clear about what you are claiming about me.. I dont throw your name around unless I am clear on what you said.... It is easy to carelessly put words in other people mouth for your benefit or lashing... just be honest with it

Date: April 03, 2012 12:46PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> It would be funny to see your "credentials".

I'm sure my credentials are just as fabulous as yours ! Let me guess, you had the ESPN Network since you were 8, had some football trading cards, played Madden football on the XBOX, played flag football in high school, have the NFL Network on TV, in a fantasy league, watched lots of college football..... Give it a break A&O, your just another one of those people who don't like opinions contrary to their own. You have to be right no matter what...... Go Browns spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 03, 2012 02:09PM

I've watched alot more tape on Tannehill, and I see what people see in him. At times he is impressive, at times he is good at extending plays, and in college when he extended plays from what i saw, he was a threat running and was good at making players miss in pursuit of him. He also seemed like a guy that can think quickly, and lets it fly, sometimes good sometimes bad. He is very raw, and his passes are all over the place but in normaly in the vacinty somewhere, it seems he throws a catchable ball, becasue alot of his recievers made some remarkable catches even when the ball placement was willy at best... He threw a few ducks sometimes, I did like what I saw, but there was alot of stuff he did I am not sure you would get away with against NFL talent... I like him more then I did, but still have concerns. I am pretty sure, they are gonna draft him, if he is available...

Date: April 03, 2012 02:34PM

crowder it sounds like you are coming over to that dark side! tannheill at 8....

Date: April 03, 2012 02:46PM

Rick,

I never once said I have credentials. I dont. I am a Dolphins loser just like everyone else on this board.

But, I do have a very close connection. I can get film on any major D1 player. I watched every single game of Ryan Tannehills career as a starter.

BTW, my connection is very good friends with a MAJOR D1 coach.

But, with all that said, I am still a Dolphins loser who has no credentials to stand on. Just me, my couch, my tv....and film. Thats it.

---------------------

Date: April 03, 2012 02:55PM

Nope not Tannehill at 8, but all signs point to us drafting him... With all the good i saw there was also alot of bad... Hell when I watched Joey Harrinton or others they looked alot better then Tannehill and didnt succeed in the NFL...Chad Henne looked good on tape rolling out in college.
That fight that desire to succeed no matter, what, I didnt see, merely because he wasnt tested enough, and his teams record his final year was anything but impressive, maybe not entirely his fault but still didnt see that majic to win ball games..."THe winner". ALthough, the fact he didnt give up on his positions dream shows me some fight in his spirit. .He is not Cam Newton, but he is impressive at times. SO I still think it is too early to draft him... Maybe SHerman knows something we dont know, that will either solidify him or discredit him, either way they arent telling...

Date: April 03, 2012 03:35PM

come on crowder, just come to terms with it. if we never take a QB in the first we'll never have a franchise guy unless we hit the lottery a la brees or brady. we've drafted 1st round busts at other positions, I am fine with rolling the dice at QB for a chance.
Not saying I am convinced tannehill is going to be great, but we gotta take a chance sooner or later. is he really less of a sure thing than quinton coples?

Date: April 03, 2012 06:55PM

If we take Tannehill don't be surprised if we take Jeff Fuller in the 3rd or fourth. He could be like Antoine Bolden or Marshall. Doesn't have the blazing spedd but holds on to the ball

Date: April 03, 2012 08:00PM

All of our credentials aside A&O, lets take a look at Ryan Tannehill. IN 2008 Tannehill competed against veteran quarterback Stephen McGee and redshirt sophomore Jerrod Johnson for the starting quarterback. He finished third and was moved to reciver. IN 2009 Tannehill and Jerrod Johnson competed for the starting quarterback position; the job went to Johnson. 2010 Tannehill continued to play receiver during the first six games of the 2010 season. His lack of playtime is not a worthy first round pick, Tannehill should be a 3rd or 4th round pick at best. Not enough experience to be drafted at 8. His own coaches never seemed to be to interested in his "potential" why shoulde we. People with potential never utilize it. Thats why they have it !!!!!

Date: April 03, 2012 08:55PM

Date: April 04, 2012 03:35AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> come on crowder, just come to terms with it. if we
> never take a QB in the first we'll never have a
> franchise guy unless we hit the lottery a la brees
> or brady. we've drafted 1st round busts at other
> positions, I am fine with rolling the dice at QB
> for a chance.
> Not saying I am convinced tannehill is going to be
> great, but we gotta take a chance sooner or later.
> is he really less of a sure thing than quinton
> coples?

sorry I am not for drafting him 8. I just am not... If you pull the trigger on Tannehill at 8 there are alot of great players that will be gone before our next pick... I dont care if we trade back, if value isnt there at 8, There are so many great players we could use, Tannehill is not at the top of my first 20-25 or so players... IF we trade back, pick up another pick, and can still get him great, but not at 8....

Posted by: KB ()
Date: April 04, 2012 03:57AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > come on crowder, just come to terms with it. if
> we
> > never take a QB in the first we'll never have a
> > franchise guy unless we hit the lottery a la
> brees
> > or brady. we've drafted 1st round busts at
> other
> > positions, I am fine with rolling the dice at
> QB
> > for a chance.
> > Not saying I am convinced tannehill is going to
> be
> > great, but we gotta take a chance sooner or
> later.
> > is he really less of a sure thing than quinton
> > coples?
>
>
> sorry I am not for drafting him 8. I just am
> not... If you pull the trigger on Tannehill at 8
> there are alot of great players that will be gone
> before our next pick... I dont care if we trade
> back, if value isnt there at 8, There are so many
> great players we could use, Tannehill is not at
> the top of my first 20-25 or so players... IF we
> trade back, pick up another pick, and can still
> get him great, but not at 8....

The problem is the definition of 'value'. In 8 years we have spent 1st round picks on OL(3), RB(1), DB(2), WR(1), DE(1). 5 of those picks are still on the roster so couldn't be considered 'busts' nor could Brown, he just couldn't stay healthy. In those 8 years we have had 2 winning seasons. NO QB = NO SUCCESS IN THE NFL.

Date: April 04, 2012 04:28AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> If we take Tannehill don't be surprised if we take
> Jeff Fuller in the 3rd or fourth. He could be like
> Antoine Bolden or Marshall. Doesn't have the
> blazing spedd but holds on to the ball

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Fuller probably wont be picked before the 6th round. He had a very bad Senior season where he was passed over as the go-to-guy by Ryan Swope. He also had a bad combine, and Pro-Day.

---------------------

Date: April 04, 2012 05:24AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > come on crowder, just come to terms with it. if
> we
> > never take a QB in the first we'll never have a
> > franchise guy unless we hit the lottery a la
> brees
> > or brady. we've drafted 1st round busts at
> other
> > positions, I am fine with rolling the dice at
> QB
> > for a chance.
> > Not saying I am convinced tannehill is going to
> be
> > great, but we gotta take a chance sooner or
> later.
> > is he really less of a sure thing than quinton
> > coples?
>
>
> sorry I am not for drafting him 8. I just am
> not... If you pull the trigger on Tannehill at 8
> there are alot of great players that will be gone
> before our next pick... I dont care if we trade
> back, if value isnt there at 8, There are so many
> great players we could use, Tannehill is not at
> the top of my first 20-25 or so players... IF we
> trade back, pick up another pick, and can still
> get him great, but not at 8....

As I see it, assuming Tannehill is also on the board at 8, these are players who *may* also be there (at least one would not be, probably Ingram)---M Ingram, Q Coples, R Reiff, Mike Floyd. Are any of those players ones who will make this team appreciably better, like a QB would assuming he panned out (obviously no one knows in advance whether anyone would "pan out"winking smiley? I know that those guys may all be rated higher on the board than Tannehill (maybe) but taking the higher graded lineman vs the lower graded QB has not exactly worked out for us. I am no Tannehill bandwagoner, but I can see the logic in taking him at 8, for sure. And that assumes is is not taken before then, which he might be (hopefully not by us in a trade up)

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 04, 2012 05:37AM

I believe in taking the higher rated O-lineman. It has worked for us w/ Long and Pouncey and Jerry is entering his 3rd year and should be ready to contribute. W/ that I say we draft DeCastro.

If Tannehill is there in the second maybe we can trade our 2 #3 to St Louis and move up to get him.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 04, 2012 05:39AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> I believe in taking the higher rated O-lineman. It
> has worked for us w/ Long and Pouncey and Jerry is
> entering his 3rd year and should be ready to
> contribute. W/ that I say we draft DeCastro.
>
> If Tannehill is there in the second maybe we can
> trade our 2 #3 to St Louis and move up to get him.

How has it worked????????, we've had three 7-9 seasons in a row.

Date: April 04, 2012 05:41AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> A&O, I am just saying he is not worth the #8 pick.
> The overdrafting was a word Dolphaholic quoted
> Kiper as using to describe him. I never said
> bust... I said project. DOnt throw my name around
> unless you are clear about what you are claiming
> about me.. I dont throw your name around unless I
> am clear on what you said.... It is easy to
> carelessly put words in other people mouth for
> your benefit or lashing... just be honest with it

Overdrafting is kind of a "Grey area" term. If the Dolphins really need a QB and they like this guy drafting him anywhere isn't really a reach. Is he RGIII or ALuck Talent? probably not , but the dynamic of the draft is what Team needs what position and where do they pick? If the Dolphins like him and think he can develop into an elite passer, then taking him with their #8 overall is not a reach.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.