HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ireland
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:22PM

I could be way off base. I know Ireland is supposedly not a great personable guy and free agents, etc.. don't want to come to Miami. If the Dolphins are such a horrible organization, the why aren't all the Dolphin's free agents immediately bolting for other teams?

The former players that have expressed displeasure are those that historically have run their mouth more than they made plays - Porter, Marshall, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:38PM

what FAs? we lost langford and resigned solia. who else is there?

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:36PM

I like Ireland.
So what about the Dez question. I dont blame him for asking.
He's done a solid job IMO.
And he finally got rid of the two biggest problems that have plagued this team for the last couple years, Henne and Sparano.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:51AM

From my perspective, I see potential for gain if he were friendlier and no upside for being unpleasant. You catch more flies with honey...

Date: March 28, 2012 05:47AM

Too many people don't like him for there not to be a reason. Where there is smoke there is usually Fire.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:15AM

Date: March 28, 2012 07:53AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 28, 2012 08:12AM

Phinjim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Manning, Fisher, Flynn, etc ... weren't coming to
> Miami anyway ...

I'm really curious WHY these guys weren't planning on coming here. If we had brutal winters like Chicago, or high taxes like NY, then I could see that being a reason. What exactly pushed these guys way from Miami?

Date: March 28, 2012 10:02AM

To add salt to the wounds , they seem to be using us to drive their prices up. We look like schmucks.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 28, 2012 10:57AM

Maybe it's the heat, all of the time...if I could live somewhere else I'd be out of Florida like a shot.

But, that's coming pretty soon...retirement baby! North Carolina, four seasons, cooler temperatures, and world class motorcycle roads, here I come.

Date: March 28, 2012 12:10PM

Monteque:
> I'm really curious WHY these guys weren't planning on coming here. If we had brutal winters like Chicago, or high taxes like NY, then I could see that being a reason. What exactly pushed these guys way from Miami?

Multiple answers for the differing people due to how you posed the question:

1. Manning had better offers, wouldn't know that until he met with each and likely used the leverage to get more from where he ended up. I also think the cap room at denver, relationship with a fellow elite QB as GM (unique), and possibly a perception of more sayso in the offense, and add in a less competitive conference than AFC east (thus early success in liited years. - More money, control, realtionship
- Manning got to choose.

2. Flynn - Didn't get to choose between unlimited funds offers he didn't have the draw of manning and wasn't considered "worth as much to Philbin and the Fins" as he was to the Seahwks.
- Flynn was planning to come here, Miami was planning for him to come if he came at a reasonable price.
- I said they weren't coming here, not that they weren't planning to come here. Flynn planned to come here if he could get big money (more than someone who knows him well (philbin) thought he was worth, ande also had the incentive to work with Philbin again.
- Bottom line he took his best offer and used a Miami visit to push up his value to Seattle (in advance)

3. Fisher - Yet different reasons ... Relationships where he ended up, and more likely a control (GM or perceived control over decisions). This was known going in. Not an I don't like or respect Miami thing. Just how the positions were set going in.
- Fisher spoke respectfully about both Ross and Ireland and made a choice best for him

Each had "planned" to come listen, but each had their own reasons unique to their positions that fared better value "for them" versus "Value for Miami"

And to TCFF - Yes Miami and all teams are used to drive up prices. That cost however goes to other teams, not to Miami ... and is part of the game alll NFL teams deal with (Same for all of the other suiters involved that don't get selected ... Alsolutley DOES NOT make us look like Shmucks ... not us over paying, any more than it does if I out bid you at an auction. I paid more not you.

Date: March 28, 2012 02:01PM

And then there's Harbaugh. Yet ANOTHER big name we whiffed on.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:51PM

No Whiff on Harbaugh. It was painfully obvious that Harbaugh wasnt going to leave the Bay area, especially when the SF job became available.
Yet another misconception of a failure. The 49ers had him locked up from day 1.

Date: March 28, 2012 06:20PM

So, if we can't blame Ireland and/or Ross for Harbaugh/Fisher/Manning/Flynn, then what GOOD Free Agent signings (player or coach) can we give them credit for?

Maybe Mike Nolan? Oh...wait...he's not here anymore! In fact, we let him go for a LATERAL MOVE to another DC position!! We didn't HAVE to let him go...but we did!!

How about Karlos Dansby? I mean...he's a Pro Bowler, right? Oh...wait...he hasn't made the Pro Bowl as a Phin. In fact, is he still the top paid LB in the league? If not, he's top 3 at least. How does he rate against other ILBs that make MUCH LESS MONEY than him??

I truly give Ireland credit for ONE decent FA signing in all the time he's been here, and that's Cam Wake. Ireland struck gold there. But otherwise, he might a well be digging in an outhouse for his free agents.

And let's not mention the guys he let go for nothing, like Jason Allen and Yeremiah Bell.

Date: March 29, 2012 05:27AM

Some people always see the glass as half empty, or even dry, no matter what is going on.

I place most of those from the media, on this board or whatever as being emotional that things didn't happen how they expected.

You can never please everybody. I for one am glad we don't overpay for free agents, yet glad we reached out to try to get some of the elite options.

I think we did really goode in landing Solai, a new saftey / CB, and Philbin is so far impressive, and a huge upgrade fron Sparano. I think this team will be much more ready to win in September than it was last year or any of the recent seasons.

Here's to a successful draft! smileys with beer

Date: March 29, 2012 08:10AM

I'm fairly satisfied with Ireland's drafts as well as his trades...but the guy CANNOT draw free agents if his life depended on it.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 29, 2012 08:30AM

It's all in the wording.

Dez "my dad's a pimp"..."My mom worked for him"

Jeff " what work did she do for him?"

Is getting the same answer with different words.

Ireland drafts well. He has a plan...let see how it works.

At least he isn't trading draft picks for guys that can't start on their own teams.

Date: March 29, 2012 10:23AM

Yep ... hindsight is 20-20. And he stepped in it. Yes he'd like to re-word his question too I bet.

Most everyone knows that now, but even that info is not how the media reported it. It comes out with the media blast what he asked without even the context of what Dez said first.

Welcome to the media games.

Date: March 30, 2012 08:42AM

I know why he isnt a people person. LOOK AT HIM. God he is like a short bald troll. He has thick stupid looking body.

I wouldnt take him serious, because he is about as threatning as a horse fly.

Yeah he can evaluate Draft picks, and thus should be our best scout, but deff not a GM.

Oh well....

Date: March 30, 2012 09:39AM

GodAlmightyDolphinsRule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know why he isnt a people person. LOOK AT HIM.
> God he is like a short bald troll. He has thick
> stupid looking body.
>
> I wouldnt take him serious, because he is about as
> threatning as a horse fly.
>
That's ridiculous. Is Stan or Jeff Van Gundy threatening? Talk about troll, yet BOTH of them have done amazingly well as coaches.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.