Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who's the better QB on our roster right now?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who's the better QB on our roster right now?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 23, 2012 08:41AM

This is a serious question about the better suited QB for the WCO between Moore and Garrard, keep in mind, we are running a vastly different system this year then last, so Moore shouldn't get points due to familiarity. Please don't answer based on what you want to have happen, i'm looking for a D-Mark type breakdown on quick release, foot work, mobility, decision making, etc.
I'd have to say, if healthy, D. Garrard wins this competition. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's the better QB on our roster right now?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 23, 2012 08:45AM

Moore was kind of from adequate to scrubish last season. Gerard is coming back from injury and is old.

I think matt moore at this point would be better.

But just because of gerards injury status.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()

If healthy, Garrard.

Garrard has been underrated for pretty much his whole career. He's mobile, he can throw on the run, and he gets rid of the ball quickly.

And we look at his stats in Jacksonville, remember, he is doing that without any real WR talent.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()

Will it make any difference, ...I think we lose 13 games anyway next year.
Only good to come of all this is Ireland will be run out of town.

Finally....

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 23, 2012 09:04AM

I agree with Mark that Garrard has an advantage going in "IF" his back has healed but, I think that Moore can adapt to the WCO. Either way, we will probably not get a top 10 pick next draft.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: March 23, 2012 09:43AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 23, 2012 10:03AM

It will be interesting to see which Garrard shows up...

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: March 23, 2012 10:05AM

Garrard was better in his prime. Moore's better now.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: March 23, 2012 10:22AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Garrard was better in his prime. Moore's better
> now.

Agree, but neither will take this team to any other level than about what we were last year. Already the calls are starting to TRADE DOWN, pick up linemen/DE's/low round 'projects' and make do with these two scrubs @ QB (and no real #1 receiver)...

I thought the WCO was a passing attack? Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dwight Clark??? WTH? I KNOW we can't get players like that but are ANY of the pieces in place? A INJURED 34 YO??? REALLY! NO RECEIVERS or T/E's in free agency??? REALLY?

I'll wait for the draft to give up on the year...but ugh I'm disappointed so far.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 23, 2012 11:55AM

In a WCO? Too easy, thats Gerrard, doesnt matter if he is healthy. He is still better than Moore.

But, that speaks volumes on how bad our QB situation is.

Doesnt matter who the QB is, I see us going 2-14.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 23, 2012 01:03PM

Garrard had a very good season in 2010. There was no indication he was out of his prime. I mentioned this in another thread. In the last 3 years he has played, Garrard has ranked as the #12, #12, and #3 best graded QB by profootballfocus.com.

Obviously, I don't think Garrard is one of the top 5 QBs in the league. But, he is better than a lot of people give him credit for. And you can't emphasize this enough, Jacksonville has been a WR wasteland for years! And if you'll remember, it caused quite a stir when he got cut last year. He didn't get beat out by McCown. He was cut purely for salary cap reasons.

And Matt Moore still has a ton to prove. Number one, he didn't play as well as his stats would indicate. That's why you have heard so many from the organization (Ross, Ireland, Marshall, Taylor, and Bess) all talk about a QB upgrade. And Moore did this once before. His stats were great for Carolina in 2009. And in 2010, he was a disaster. He has not proven to be a consistently solid NFL QB, and Garrard has.

Date: March 23, 2012 01:19PM

Matt wasn't given a fair chance. Long Off season with the players contracts, Then he didn't start until mid season. People were injured, and we were 0-7.

I like Matt Moore. And I'm fine with starting him , but lets get him some support huh? beef up that Oline, get him a reciever or two , especially since you dumped Marshall. All this sitting around is pissing me off.

Date: March 23, 2012 01:32PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Matt wasn't given a fair chance. Long Off season
> with the players contracts, Then he didn't start
> until mid season. People were injured, and we were
> 0-7.
>
> I like Matt Moore. And I'm fine with starting him
> , but lets get him some support huh? beef up that
> Oline, get him a reciever or two , especially
> since you dumped Marshall. All this sitting around
> is pissing me off.

Moore started the 5th game. And he played most of the 4th game. We were 6-7 in games where he was the primary QB. People like to ignore those first 4 losses, but I don't. Reality is, our schedule was much, much easier in the second half of the season. We won 6 games against bad teams. And the defense deserves the vast majority of the credit. We didn't go 6-3 in the last 9 games because of Matt Moore. It was because the defense played great, they figured out how to use Reggie Bush, and we played lousy teams.

Free agency is basically over. There is garbage left on the market. All you will have is sitting around until the draft, except for a couple of minor signings.

Date: March 23, 2012 01:35PM

Pimp slapped.

---------------------

Date: March 23, 2012 01:48PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Matt wasn't given a fair chance. Long Off
> season
> > with the players contracts, Then he didn't
> start
> > until mid season. People were injured, and we
> were
> > 0-7.
> >
> > I like Matt Moore. And I'm fine with starting
> him
> > , but lets get him some support huh? beef up
> that
> > Oline, get him a reciever or two , especially
> > since you dumped Marshall. All this sitting
> around
> > is pissing me off.
>
>
> Moore started the 5th game. And he played most of
> the 4th game. We were 6-7 in games where he was
> the primary QB. People like to ignore those first
> 4 losses, but I don't. Reality is, our schedule
> was much, much easier in the second half of the
> season. We won 6 games against bad teams. And the
> defense deserves the vast majority of the credit.
> We didn't go 6-3 in the last 9 games because of
> Matt Moore. It was because the defense played
> great, they figured out how to use Reggie Bush,
> and we played lousy teams.
>
> Free agency is basically over. There is garbage
> left on the market. All you will have is sitting
> around until the draft, except for a couple of
> minor signings.

Henne ran the entire pre season. THERE WAS NO QB COMPETEITION ever and you know it. My point was Moore had alot of negative things and I think he still kept his head up and did well. I was there at the last game of the season and he was really just starting to look really sharp. VAST improvement from the Broncos Game I was at. Teams need a bit to play together and Mesh. Make a decision. You want to stick with moore? Come out and say it and they get him the right pieces to be sucessfull. DUH I know Free Agency is over. All we are in DOWN players.

Aqua grow the F up already. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 23, 2012 02:01PM

He looked really sharp in the last game of the season? When he threw for a whopping 135 yards and 2 INT? Where almost all our offense came on 4 FG of over 40 yards?

Date: March 23, 2012 02:33PM

Quote:

"Aqua grow the F up already"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Lol.....come bro, you know that was a Don "Magic" Juan back hand.

Anywho, nobody should cross Mark with stats, trust me, I've learned my lesson dealing with him. I've been pimp slapped numerous times.

---------------------

Date: March 23, 2012 02:46PM

Moore, went 6-3 last year to end the season and was thrown into a tough situation... Winning is what matters.. I am curious to see how he does in Philbins system. Moore wins ball games, and has that fight in him. I would guess Moore is the starter on opening day..

In a partial season following an injury to the starter in his first year with the team, following a lockout and no real offseason work. His stats
16 TD's
9 int's
2497 yards
87.1 qb rating

It should be a good battle between Garrard, Moore and whoever else they bring in..

Date: March 23, 2012 03:15PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Moore, went 6-3 last year to end the season and
> was thrown into a tough situation... Winning is
> what matters.. I am curious to see how he does in
> Philbins system. Moore wins ball games, and has
> that fight in him. I would guess Moore is the
> starter on opening day..
>
> In a partial season following an injury to the
> starter in his first year with the team, following
> a lockout and no real offseason work. His stats
> 16 TD's
> 9 int's
> 2497 yards
> 87.1 qb rating
>
> It should be a good battle between Garrard, Moore
> and whoever else they bring in..

In 5 of the games he played, his passer rating was below 70, including 2 of the last 4. He had a passer rating of 95.1 on plays with no pressure. With pressure, his passer rating was 61.8, completing only 46% of his passes. Consistency is not his forte.

He had 3 huge games in terms of passer rating, 2 against Buffalo and one against KC. In those 3 games, he threw 8 TD and 0 INT. In the other 10 games where he was the primary QB, he had 8 TD and 9 INT. In 7 of those 13 games, his yards per attempt were 6.5 or less, very weak numbers.

There was a lot less to his performance than meets the eye. Why do you think Brandon Marshall asked for a trade if they didn't get Flynn or Manning? Why do you think Jason Taylor said Moore was the team MVP, but an upgraded is needed? Why do you think Davone Bess said, "we need someone."?

Date: March 23, 2012 04:13PM

Wow Mark, those stats are terrible.

---------------------

Date: March 24, 2012 01:23AM

Take your Stats and stick'em. Alot of people in Matts situation would have given up. many have the last decade. You can't judge heart with stats. Hard to be consistant when you have Columbo blocking for you and jake long at 80% at best.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 24, 2012 05:27AM

Matt Moore

O Line was bad. Columbo was terrible, even Jake had some poor games

Date: March 24, 2012 05:36AM

Garrard is making more $$$$$ then Moore right now, plus we'll be drafting a QB early, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moore traded if we get Tannehill, like D-mark has said on many occasions. Denver needs a veteran backup as insurance for Manning.

Date: March 24, 2012 05:57AM

Yep.

Great point. I see the same scenario playing out. Plus, John Fox was Matt Moore's Coach in Carolina so he is very familiar with Moore.

---------------------

Date: March 24, 2012 06:08AM

I'm getting a kick out of the Matt Moore love on this board, i'm too lazy to do it, but i'd like to see some of the posts from this board when we signed him......now we cant live without him?

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 24, 2012 06:13AM

I don't think Matt Moore is a great QB, but he's hardly the chopped liver some in the national media are making him out to be.

I'll take him over Fitzpatrick and Sanchez in a straight heartbeat, and the fools at ESPN gushed over the Bills/Jets throwing money at those bums.

I think that with competent play at RT, Matt Moore could surprise some people. I still want us to draft a QB though.

Date: March 24, 2012 06:21AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I'm getting a kick out of the Matt Moore love on
> this board, i'm too lazy to do it, but i'd like to
> see some of the posts from this board when we
> signed him......now we cant live without him?

And I was one of the people that liked the signing. I still do. He is what is, though. A solid backup option.

If we draft Tannehill, or anyone reasonably close to being able to play in the next year or two, either Moore or Garrard is going. The starter gets 85% of the practice snaps, the backup gets the other 15%, and the 3rd string guy runs the scout team. You can't develop quickly in that 3rd string role. So, one of the veteran guys will be gone.

Date: March 24, 2012 10:28AM

Dolfanmark-It doesnt change the fact he went 6-3 to end the season...WINS are what we are talking about, I know when you dont like someone you to try and find the worst possible out look framing on the guy.... and it doesnt change his season stats...
I do find it funny that you now claim it was Marshall who demanded a trade becasue of Matt Moore's play...lol... Come on... You cant talk out of both sides of your mouth, with Marshall and Moore... But you clearly are....lol.... WHich one is it? You cant have it both ways....

Date: March 24, 2012 11:29AM

I will say over and over, if Matt Moore is your starting QB, you will be no better than 7-9. But history shows, you will also go 1-15 with him too.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: March 24, 2012 02:18PM

2-14 actually A&O. And Matt Moore didn't start all those games, suffered from a concussion in week 1 and never looked the same after. Moore is not the same QB of that season. He is better but he is still not a SB QB. If we like what we see from Garrard and we draft a QB early, expect Moore to be shipped if we can get reasonable compensation. Denver would be a likely destination in a trade if it comes to that.

However, it could just as easily play out that we don't draft Tannehill or he isn't ready, and Garrard struggles in camp and OTA's. Moore looks good so we start him for the year.

It's a wait and see situation.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.