HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The draft
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:19PM

As many of you,I am extremely frustrated with how this offseason has gone.

Truth is that the only 2 intriguing QBs available were Peyton manning and Matt Flynn..

Both of them are NOT slam dunks...

Peyton could very well be damaged goods...may not even get through the preseason...

And Matt Flynn is an over achieving 7th rounder...he is not a slam dunk either...

A great QB prospect in the draft can become the next franchise QB just as easily...
I agree with all that unless we get a FRANCHISE QB....we will never be consistantly in the playoffs or contenders...

That being said, I honestly think that we need to draft a QB in the draft. If we don't draft one,,, in the first round either trading down to late 1st or at #8....we will never even have an opportunity to get ourselves a franchise qb...

We need to draft a qb in round 1 EVERY season until we hit the jackpot...

Furthermore, we need to draft a tight end and WR.

The TE,WR and QB positions have been neglected in the draft for waaaaaay too long.

Believe it or not , I will give Ireland a pass until after the draft...
He better at least draft the above positions...or we are DONE for the upcoming season!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The draft
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:21AM

steviec13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As many of you,I am extremely frustrated with how
> this offseason has gone.
>
> Truth is that the only 2 intriguing QBs available
> were Peyton manning and Matt Flynn..
>
> Both of them are NOT slam dunks...
>
> Peyton could very well be damaged goods...may not
> even get through the preseason...
>
> And Matt Flynn is an over achieving 7th
> rounder...he is not a slam dunk either...
>
> A great QB prospect in the draft can become the
> next franchise QB just as easily...
> I agree with all that unless we get a FRANCHISE
> QB....we will never be consistantly in the
> playoffs or contenders...
>
> That being said, I honestly think that we need to
> draft a QB in the draft. If we don't draft one,,,
> in the first round either trading down to late 1st
> or at #8....we will never even have an opportunity
> to get ourselves a franchise qb...
>
> We need to draft a qb in round 1 EVERY season
> until we hit the jackpot...
>
> Furthermore, we need to draft a tight end and WR.
>
> The TE,WR and QB positions have been neglected in
> the draft for waaaaaay too long.
>
> Believe it or not , I will give Ireland a pass
> until after the draft...
> He better at least draft the above positions...or
> we are DONE for the upcoming season!

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm not necessarily frustrated in how the off season has gone, thus far. The only two "names" Miami went after and lost out to were Fisher and Manning. Not exactly sure why Fisher didn't take the Miami job, although I think it was because he wanted the power, but Ireland was on board, so couldn't get it. Manning? It is rumored Miami never had a chance with him.

There was only one "intriguing" QB available, and that was Manning. What makes you think Flynn was intriguing? He played two games in his whole NFL career. Sure, he put up good numbers, but there's no way you can base his future on those two games, and he was looking for a much higher payday than he was worth, and Miami smartly passed.

It has been said many times that until Miami finds their franchise QB, they must keep on drafting a QB. This year that will be either Tannehill or Weeden. If Miami goes in another direction in those first few picks, then its hard to say what they will do as far as a QB goes. There are still some pretty good ones that will be available in the 4th and 5th rounds, and Miami just may get lucky (ala Brady).

There won't be any high grade TEs in this year's draft, so there's no need to get one any earlier than the 5th round. WR - yes, there are plenty of them this year. Miami's first pick won't be for a WR, but maybe their 2nd round pick, or at the latest one of their 3rd round picks. Now, if Miami does trade back and picks up an extra 2nd rounder, then one of those picks should go for a WR.

I agree with you on your assessment of Ireland; let's see what he does with this year's draft. I have a feeling Ross is also waiting to see what Ireland does.

You mentioned TE, WR, and QB. Ireland will also be going after an offensive lineman or two -- Miami isn't exactly set on their OL. Sparano, despite OL being his expertise, didn't do a very good job there.

Posted by: DepressedDolFan13 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 04:29PM

DRAFT WR Michael Floyd, TE Allen, RB LaMichael James, QB Nick Foles (aka Ryan Leaf)...

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 21, 2012 04:52PM

WTF is wrong with you people?????

You honestly are willing to go into the season with a QB who doesn't even fit the system (Moore) and an old washed up QB (Gerrard)???

I swear you people are tards. When will you realize that this franchise will stay in the dumps until we start going after a franchise QB???

Give me a freakin break with the retardedness.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:12PM

> I swear you people are tards.
> Give me a freakin break with the retardedness.

You have been insulting people more and more. I ignored you calling me and other clowns...because...well who cares. You are entitled to your opinion; poorly articulated as it may be.

But in this day and age it is offensive to use 'tard' and 'retardedness' as an insult.

My oldest brother has CP and is a very intelligent, successfully employed contributing member of society. Because he stuttered, limped, and had a lame arm he was called 'retard' growing up. I saw one person receive a broken jaw from his good arm for using that language.

That was in the 70's. Biggotry and Homophobia were also prevalent back then.

This is 2012...maybe you should find some better words. Ones that make you sound smarter?

Sorry for the edge...but...if I didn't say it...I would be ashamed of myself.

Posted by: DepressedDolFan13 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:18PM

Yeah, what he said!

Date: March 21, 2012 05:38PM

Aqua and orange!

I guess you didn't properly read my post!
I said, we NEED to draft a qb in round 1 for every draft until they hit the jackpot...

Furthermore, the most frustrating thing that Ireland did this off season is trade Brandon Marshall without a plan to replace his production...

No matter what anyone thinks of him....he sure commanded many double teams which in turn opened up the middle of the field a lot...As well as our running game...

I hope I'm wrong,,,but we are gonna struggle offensively without someone like Marshall...

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:45PM

Marshall will break down this season in the cold weather. And he's not going to hard for us to replace in the system we're implmenting.

Getting rid of cancer + 2 3rd round picks = Great Move!

Date: March 21, 2012 05:52PM

Let's see if ireland drafts a wide receiver early....

Date: March 21, 2012 06:05PM

Stevie, I wasn't at all talking to you, buddy.

My post was directed at DepressedDolfan and his insulting mock draft.

P.s. I apologize Realist. With sincerity, I apologize.

---------------------

Date: March 21, 2012 06:09PM

But Realist, if you are offended at me calling you a clown, then I won't apologize for that. Get over it and get thicker skin.

This is a board made up of fanaticals whose moods go up and down like a roller coaster.

---------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 06:13PM by Aqua&Orange.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 06:16PM

Have to come out with 2 WR & a TE

Hopefully Floyd, Kendall Wright , Sanu or Jeffery, and

Stephen Hill, Joe Adams,Ty Hilton Chris Givens Tommy Streeter, or Jarius Wright

Fleener, Allen or Charles

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 21, 2012 08:40PM

Coby Fleener = Rob Gronkowski WITH FAR BETTER HANDS AND SPEED.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:50AM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Aqua and orange!
>
> I guess you didn't properly read my post!
> I said, we NEED to draft a qb in round 1 for every
> draft until they hit the jackpot...
>
> Furthermore, the most frustrating thing that
> Ireland did this off season is trade Brandon
> Marshall without a plan to replace his
> production...
>
> No matter what anyone thinks of him....he sure
> commanded many double teams which in turn opened
> up the middle of the field a lot...As well as our
> running game...
>
> I hope I'm wrong,,,but we are gonna struggle
> offensively without someone like Marshall...

Just because they didn't throw big money we don't have at a free agent the day after trding marshall doesn't mean there isn't a plan.

If you were looking for an instant replacement for Marshall you aren't going to like the plan very much. But there is a plan.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:09AM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Aqua and orange!
>
> I guess you didn't properly read my post!
> I said, we NEED to draft a qb in round 1 for every
> draft until they hit the jackpot...
>
> Furthermore, the most frustrating thing that
> Ireland did this off season is trade Brandon
> Marshall without a plan to replace his
> production...
>
> No matter what anyone thinks of him....he sure
> commanded many double teams which in turn opened
> up the middle of the field a lot...As well as our
> running game...
>
> I hope I'm wrong,,,but we are gonna struggle
> offensively without someone like Marshall...

The plan is to replace his production by spreading the ball around, and not directing 30% of your pass attempts to one guy. The pure WCO offense is not about having an alpha receiver. It's about getting different guys (backs and TEs included) a lot of chances. The Packers had 7 guys with 25 catches last year. They have had 3 different leading receivers each of the last 3 years.

Marshall doesn't help the running game as much as people think. He gets the bulk of his catches within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. And he doesn't have deep speed. So, teams try to take the underneath stuff away by bringing the safeties up. Having the safeties up helps stuff the run.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:19AM

With opportunities disappearing, our opportunities may come from the draft. I've pretty much given up on predicting anything pertaining to the Dolphins' hiring and firing practices so, it's anybody's guess as to whether the Dolphins are able to secure any top QB or WR prospect in the coming draft. confused smiley

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:51AM

A & O... YOU are special needs for not liking WR MICHAEL FLOYD. eye popping smiley

I agree Depressed missed the mark with slowww TE DWAYNE ALLEN, but we do need to address that position.

LaMichael James would be a very interesting choice in the 3rd round, for his game-breaking ability, even though we are stocked up at RB.

Describing someone as RYAN LEAF and then chooses them is a little less than intelligent...Foles seems to be a decent mid-round QB

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 22, 2012 07:20AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> A & O... YOU are special needs

Can we stop making fun of handicapped people? I don't A&O was already admonished for this on another thread.

Thanks

Date: March 22, 2012 03:35PM

Dolfan Mark,

I guess we don't see eye to eye on the "plan"

You fail to understand that miami has no where near to the type of receivers that green bay has....

We are in deep trouble if we don't draft a great receiver...(top 3 rated)

I never said we need Brandon Marshall....we need 1 or 2 receivers to replace his production....

And by the way...BM commanded double teams on almost very play..
I was at the games, ( I have season tix ) you don't see it on tv... A safety was playing over the top on BM on almost every play..

Dude..that is reality!

Date: March 22, 2012 04:03PM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Dolfan Mark,
>
> I guess we don't see eye to eye on the "plan"
>
> You fail to understand that miami has no where
> near to the type of receivers that green bay
> has....
>
> We are in deep trouble if we don't draft a great
> receiver...(top 3 rated)
>
>
> I never said we need Brandon Marshall....we need 1
> or 2 receivers to replace his production....
>
> And by the way...BM commanded double teams on
> almost very play..
> I was at the games, ( I have season tix ) you
> don't see it on tv... A safety was playing over
> the top on BM on almost every play..
>
> Dude..that is reality!

It is not reality, not in 2011. Think about the 7 dropped TDs. All of them were against single coverage. They moved him around a lot compared to 2010. That enabled him to get one on one matchups more than he ever had before. It's a big reason why he had a career high in yards per catch.

I understand exactly how good Green Bay's receivers are. It's a big reason why I was not sold on Flynn. But, we have an excellent slot guy in Bess. We have a very underrated and underutilized player in Hartline. I actually think he is a perfect fit in the new offense. We have an underutilized TE in Fasano. And we have an elite pass catching RB who we will throw more to. The cupboard is not bare.

It's not like Driver, Jennings, or Nelson were first round picks.

Date: March 22, 2012 04:54PM

Let's agree to disagree... I was at the games...I saw the coverages! (safety over the top) Did anybody else see what I saw?

We need more than hartline and bess.... WR in the draft is a MUST!

My worry is that Ireland drafts linebackers aNd defense..when wide receiver is a must..

I also am of the opinion that drafting tanehill or another young qb is important...finding a franchise qb is part luck part evaluation skill...if we don't draft a qb...we will never know..

Date: March 22, 2012 05:09PM

steviec13 Wrote:
> Let's agree to disagree... I was at the games...I
> saw the coverages! (safety over the top) Did
> anybody else see what I saw?
>
> We need more than hartline and bess.... WR in the
> draft is a MUST!
>
> My worry is that Ireland drafts linebackers aNd
> defense..when wide receiver is a must..
>
> I also am of the opinion that drafting tanehill or
> another young qb is important...finding a
> franchise qb is part luck part evaluation
> skill...if we don't draft a qb...we will never
> know..

Remember, a key tenet of the West Coast Offense is putting 5 guys into the patterns. We rarely did that last year, and never did it in 2010. In 2010 we had many plays with just 2 guys in the pattern. With 5 guys running routes, the defense loses much of it's ability to double cover. It's one of the reasons why the bigger WRs aren't critical in the system.

In the last 4 years, our best offense was in 2009. We ranked 15th in the league in points scored. That offense did not have Brandon Marshall or anyone like him.

It's up to Ireland to get what Philbin tells him he needs to implement his system. We need at least 1 more WR to be a major contributor, and maybe 2. This draft is loaded at WR. I am sure we will get a couple in the draft. Plus, we have Clyde Gates who is going to take on a bigger role in his second year. And Julius Pruitt has been on the roster for 3 years, so they must see something in him. Roberto Wallace has been very good the last two preseasons, and has an interesting combination of size and speed. And Marlon Moore is exactly the kind of WR to fit the WCO. Well, except for the hands part. But his quickness and explosiveness are exactly what you look for.

Date: March 22, 2012 05:34PM

Let's see if Ireland drafts 1 or 2 wr's..... Jury is out on his "plan"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.