HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          THE FUTURE
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
THE FUTURE
Posted by: Alpha Phin ()
Date: March 20, 2012 11:56AM

I know everyone feels horrible about what's happening and not happening with the Dolphins, trust me I feel the same way. I know everyone is frustrated with Ireland and Ross, but what if this is Philbin and what he wants this team to become.

To be honest I am tired of the quick fixes (Joey Porter, Brandon Marshall, Chad Pennington). The only way to make this team a consistent winner and super bowl contender you have to build the pieces thru the draft and with young guys. For example just look at the Patriots and Packers and the way they’re built with young drafted players. Our defense is a good example of building thru the draft and developing players.

I just think we all need to take step back and look at the big picture, we don't want Manning for a few years, or Matt Flynn who may not be more than a solid backup which we already have in Moore.Philbin had to have known something here.

This has to start with drafting our future quarterback. Here's how I see this working out and what could make a great start to the foundation of this team.

MOCK DRAFT

Round 1 QB RYAN TANNEHILL - I know there is a lot of reports about this guy and the issues with his game, but what people forget is he only has played 1-1/2 years as a starter. If you watch his game tape you will see a guy with similar attributes to Aaron Rogers. For example arm strength, mobility, and accuracy. He is raw at this point but a few more years in the same offense this guy can be special. Now I'm not saying he will be Aaron Rogers or even close but he does have a similar style that would be what Philbin wants.

Round 2 – WR MOHAMED SANU or WR ALSHON JEFFRIES – Either one of these guys has the potential to be a #1 receiver. The other good this about this is you get a guy that could be Tannehill’s target for the next 10-12 years. Similar to Stafford / Johnson or Dalton / Green.

Round 3 – Pick 1 – TE LADARIUS GREEN or MICHAEL EGNEW – This would also make sense for the future similar to adding a receiver along with Tannehill. Could you imagine this tandem for years.

Round 3 – pick 2 – DE TREVOR GUYTON – This will fill the need on the defense. Guyton could play in a 4-3 and 3-4 defense which fits what they are doing and he is a monster to team up with Wake. This could also be filled by signing Mark Anderson which would allow this spot for a guard or another receiver.

Round 4 – WR NICK TOON or MARVIN MCNUTT– Another guy that fits the type of receiver that Philbin had in Green Bay.

Round 5 – G RYAN MILLER Colorado – Big strong, athletic guard that fills a need at the position or at least competition.

Round 6 – SS SEAN RICHARDSON – Could be someone to develop in place of Y. Bell.

Round 7 – OT – TREVOR OLSEN – Athletic tackle which is what Philbin likes.

The great thing about this is next year you have less holes and just as many picks to continue to build this team.

I know all this is a lot and not everyone will agree with these picks, but I honestly like this scenario better than the quick fix with Manning or the drama with Marshall.

This could be the beginning of something exciting. Let see how this all plays out in the end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THE FUTURE
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:11PM

I have said for the last 4 years, unless we get a franchise QB, it doesn't matter because we will suck.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:32PM

The best teams do build through the draft. But, our defense isn't a great example. Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel, Kevin Burnett, Karlos Dansby, and Richard Marshall are all free agent pickups who combine to count 25% of our salary cap.

Date: March 20, 2012 12:35PM

Mark,

With taking into account of what you just said, if we think Tannehill is not the answer, do you believe it is important for us to trade down and accumulate more picks in this draft?

---------------------

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:42PM

The first 4 picks this year will be critical.. While I dont like Ireland, he is a good talent evaluator, and I am sure we will fill some holes in the draft... I really hope we dont draft Tannehill with 8... It will feel like a reactionary pick, not a plan..

Date: March 20, 2012 01:30PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
>
> With taking into account of what you just said, if
> we think Tannehill is not the answer, do you
> believe it is important for us to trade down and
> accumulate more picks in this draft?

I think they think Tannehill is the guy. He's been with Sherman for 4 years. He's a great athlete, got a big arm, and is really smart. It's a natural fit. And it would explain a lot about how they approached Flynn. I would be a fan of taking him. I like college QBs that played in a pro offense with a pro coach. And I like guys who are smart. And he has the physical tools (size, arm, running ability).

But, if Tannehill is not there, or not their guy, then trading down makes a lot of sense. #8 is too high to take a RT or G. But, you can get a pass rusher there. Do they think Coples is the real deal, or is he the "looks like Tarzan, play like Jane," that some people say he is? If they aren't high on Coples, they can probably trade down 5-6 spots and get a player they need, maybe the MLB from Boston College.

Weeden is a real wild card. Does some team take a flyer on him late in the first round? Or does his age make him available when Miami picks in the second? The precedent is Chris Weinke, and he went in the 4th round.

Date: March 20, 2012 01:50PM

I agree on Tannehill. I also have been warming up on him since I have been reading Gil Brandt's info on Tannehill.

Brandt is the best in the business and thinks Tannehill will be a star.

So, I'm down with Tannehill being the pick.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 02:03PM

I called serius nfl months and months ago and brandt said watch out for tannehill going to the phins. This was way before anyone was talking about him. I remember him saying same thing about denarius Thomas back when he wasn't viewed as a top guy

Date: March 20, 2012 02:16PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I called serius nfl months and months ago and
> brandt said watch out for tannehill going to the
> phins. This was way before anyone was talking
> about him. I remember him saying same thing about
> denarius Thomas back when he wasn't viewed as a
> top guy

If I remember, Brandt said our plan was to trade down for Demaryius Thomas, but the Broncos surprised us. Brandt was also the guy who correctly said we would take Ted Ginn at #9. He was adamant about it, and said if we didn't take him there, the Rams would have taken him a couple of spots later.

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:03PM

I have no problem building with the draft, if they would just say thats what they are doing. But no they say they are going to upgrade the QB position, make a splash and have a master plan. Just come out and say we are rebuilding and stop giving us false hope. I can deal with a plan if they only had one...

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:16PM

Here's the thing. In most drafts, there are at best two or maybe one franchise QB. The exception was the great draft of 1983.

Some years you have your Phil Rivers and Drew Brees but they are rare.

This year you have Luck and RGIII (and you only have Luck because he didn't go out last year as many expected him to).

But just because you have 2 quarterbacks worthy of the top two picks, that doesn't mean it's 1983 all over again.

That doesn't mean that Tannehill is either Phil Rivers or Drew Brees.

Weeden, on the other hand, is a good prospect for either beating out Moore or a backup or insurance if he doesn't. Henne is gone and we have nothing else.

Like someone said, when you get down to your fifth option, that doesn't mean you have your solution, it only means that you were forced to choose your fifth option.

That's not worth throwing away a valuable pick at no. 8 and a chance to upgrade our wide receiver, pass rushing or offensive line just because Luck and RGIII are in the same draft.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:18PM

If you look at the film you'll see a well-coached prospect in Tannehill (much more NFL ready IMO than “future HOF” RG3). Haha. I know that will go up an anus or 2. And of course Tannehill is an impressive athlete. Buy he is “white.” Go figure.

Otherwise, Wheedon is NFL ready to rock IMO and probably the best PURE PASSER in the draft.

And keep in mind Matt Flynn was a 7th round pick based on his semi-pro arm.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:22PM

The Future is bright.

I look forward to another solid draft class.

Obviously, we have to solidify the QB position, Get a high motor pass rusher, and add some more play-makers at Saftey and TE.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:23PM

Weeden's the real deal, IMO. I will be thrilled if we trade down and land him.

Date: March 20, 2012 03:40PM

Tennehill is not even close to the 8th best player in the draft. but we will take him there or higher. not pleased

Date: March 20, 2012 03:41PM

Ok, I'm sold on Tannehill.

I just heard Brandt break down Tannehill and it was amazing.

He said RG3 was pressured 64 times on 3rd down and was sacked 6 times. Conversely, Tannehill was pressured 143 times and sacked 2 times.

Brandt said Tannehill will prove to be the star QB of this draft, not Luck or RG3.

---------------------

Date: March 20, 2012 03:43PM

By the way, he has Tannehill as the 7th best prospect in the entire draft right now.

---------------------

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:45PM

Date: March 20, 2012 03:50PM

my question is, if tannehill was so great how come sherman got fired from a and m? how come they switched him to WR when he came in as a QB? how come he couldn't beat out the QB who was there? not being a smart ass, just asking legit questions I don't know the answer to. can anyone name a successful nfl qb who had a losing record in college?

Date: March 20, 2012 03:56PM

Well, I know why he came in as a WR, it's because at the time, they had a Heisman hopeful under Center. I can't remember his name, but I know he is an African American.

But then Tannehill beat him out and took his job.

---------------------

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:01PM

Date: March 21, 2012 01:56AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> my question is, if tannehill was so great how come
> sherman got fired from a and m? how come they
> switched him to WR when he came in as a QB? how
> come he couldn't beat out the QB who was there?
> not being a smart ass, just asking legit questions
> I don't know the answer to. can anyone name a
> successful nfl qb who had a losing record in
> college?

Jerrod Johnson, who is currently with the Steelers, was the older, scholarship QB ahead of him on the depth chart, while Tannehill was a walk-on. Johnson was considered a legit Heiman candidate and holds the Texas A&M records for career passing yards. He threw for 3500 yards and 30 TD as a junior. In head to head matchups with RG3, Tannehill's team beat Baylor both times. And his record in college as a starter was 13-7, so I have no idea why you would ask about a losing record.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:22AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Ok, I'm sold on Tannehill.
>
> I just heard Brandt break down Tannehill and it
> was amazing.
>
> He said RG3 was pressured 64 times on 3rd down and
> was sacked 6 times. Conversely, Tannehill was
> pressured 143 times and sacked 2 times.
>
> Brandt said Tannehill will prove to be the star QB
> of this draft, not Luck or RG3.

If that were the case and Sherman is confident, I would have no problem with Tannehill as well. Just don't fre$king blow it and/or let Cleveland pick him up. If need be trade up....if Ireland sits on his as$ waiting for another bargain to fall into our laps, I'm gonna be pissed.

Date: March 21, 2012 03:10AM

If we trade up for tanhill I will be pissed. I could live with him at 8--barely

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.