HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          See you later, everyone!!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: See you later, everyone!!!
Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:36AM

You guys are overreacting, bigtime.

Garrard was brought in for depth, for competition, in case someone gets hurt in camp. I think the guy's a bum, but if we draft a good QB prospect I got no complaints.

We've upgraded our secondary (Bell had lost more than a step, he couldn't cover anybody back there) and I can promise you our RT won't be as bad as Colombo.

Losing Marshall sucks right now, but we're better off in the long run without that TD dropping headcase.

Give it until the draft, at least. Give Philbin a shot. The Dolphins are trying to go to the Steelers/Packers style of not paying people in free agency and just building through the draft. I say give 'em at least a year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:57AM

Rjay, I agree with everything you said except when you implied that LOSING Marshall was a BAD thing.

Posted by: Offerdahl ()
Date: March 20, 2012 09:19AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think ireland has done a good job in the draft.
> But...when it comes to Free Agency....coaching
> hires...there seems to be some validity to the
> perception that he is disliked in the league.

I bet there is a lot of validity to it. If I were a player or an agent, would you want to deal with a frugal chiseler like Ireland, who lately seems to make it his mission to not overpay anyone?

I for one, as a player, would love a big fat contract with lots of guaranteed money. Would love to come in, have my ego stroked, and offered Mario Williams pay, even if it cripples the franchise for years.

Some fans on this board talk like they want our front office to operate like that. Do we really wish that we bid Mario Williams up to $110 mil? How about trading the next four 1st rounders for RG3? Go "all in" on Flynn obviously beyond where Philbin values him?

That might make us pretty popular: we would be "in" with the players, their agents, 90% of the so-called "analysts" (all dumbasses who never in their lives ran a regression analysis let alone advanced probability models) and keep their "commentaries" on the level of barstool wisdom.

And yes, it would be popular with a lot of fans who love to dream in the offseason. Mario Williams charging through the Pats O-line and mauling Brady every play.... Matt Flynn throwing 6 TD's a game -- WAIT ZOMG 96 TD's THAT IS FLYNNSANITY!!!!!!

...until these dreams run into the reality of playing the game on the field.

I have read a number of comments deriding the FO for not communicating their "plan" to the fans. How do you explain to a fan base like this (not just ours; NFL fans as a rule are not a congregation of Rhodes scholars) any approach whose core is systems thinking and analytics aimed exactly at defying conventional wisdom?

In the Phins' FO situation I might go for the "radio silence" mode too.

Date: March 20, 2012 09:21AM

The Packers, Steelers and Giants are frugal. Guess what, they're also winning teams. Who is it that breaks the bank every offseason? The Redskins.

Ireland has many faults and I fully believe that he is a man with no social skills and an overinflated ego, but being frugal in free agency is the farthest thing from a fault.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:57AM

(R/J)ay Wrote:
> The Packers, Steelers and Giants are frugal.
> Guess what, they're also winning teams. Who is it
> that breaks the bank every offseason? The
> Redskins.
>
> Ireland has many faults and I fully believe that
> he is a man with no social skills and an
> overinflated ego, but being frugal in free agency
> is the farthest thing from a fault.

Exactly right.

What some people cannot see (becasue they refuse to look) is that Salguero is right about this situation. Ireland does have a bad reputation in some circles, but that doesn't mean he's done a bad job or that missing on Manning, RG3 or passing on Flynn were bad decisions or things he could even control.

If people want him gone becasue he's not popular with some former players (who ever speaks highly of people that fire them?) then fine. Its a valid reason because if you are right in believing his reputation will prohibit him from being able to do his job then he does need to go.

But lets keep the conversation grounded in reality. Lets not blow every little real or imagined slight out of proportion just to get the mob fired up.

If you really want Ireland gone send your season ticket cancellation directly to ross with a note that you don't want a douchebag representing your team.

That will get his attention far more than a few fans wearing bags over their heads at a "protest rally". Btw...if more media show up to your "protest" than actual protesters...its not a protest...its an embarrassment all the other fans of this franchise.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 11:50AM

Just watching NFL network, Rich Eisen, asked what is wrong with DOlphins to Micheal Lombardi and Albert Breer. They said nobody wants play for the DOlphins. paraphrased........ "I have heard from way to many players, coaches, agents, that have serious trepidations at Miami. From starchasing, Dez Bryant rep, to how they went after Harbaugh and did Sparano last year, to how they trade two seconds for Marshall and a few years laters, trading him for (2) 3rds... Until Miami shows people they know what they are doing by their actions , nobody is going to want to come there. And everybody will avid Miami... 0 percent chance for personel to choose Miami"....
Lombardi agreed with Breer and said he has heard the same stuff....

Bravo Armando, Bravo Armando, for being a moron who is lost......

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:08PM

That's why I said no matter what I, you, Truth, Dolphaholic, or anybody else feels about or team, on a National Level, we are viewed as an embarrassment.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 20, 2012 12:12PM

I don't really care what the national story about the Dolphins is, I just want to see WINS. People suddenly think the Bills are hot stuff because they overpaid horribly for Fitzpatrick and Mario Williams? Please. It's going to be another year of 6-10 garbage for the Bills and everyone who actually follows the AFC East knows that.

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Rjay, I agree with everything you said except when
> you implied that LOSING Marshall was a BAD thing.

We are better off without Marshall in the long run, but it's going to hurt us next year for sure. Lots of drops, headcase, crappy route runner, etc., but the guy could beat man coverage.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:16PM

suck for Barkely!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 20, 2012 12:22PM

Berkeley for Barkley!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.