HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Conflicted
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Conflicted
Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:22PM

Ok...so I hate how we look. There is no doubt that we look like the ugly kid at the dance. BUT....

I wasn't sold on Manning or Flynn to begin with.

It is possible that the plan all along is to draft Tannehill and start Moore.

If that is the plan...?...then why the sharades?

1) Make a pitch to get Manning...and if you we don't get him ,drive up the price.

2) bring in Flynn as a favour to give him an opportunity to improve his market.

3) Alex Smith...maybe an option.

I really wish we would keep our cards closer to the vest.

Ross got ridiculously rich being exceptionally good at making deals....not seeing any transfer of skills with this team.

But...so far...the sky is still up there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Conflicted
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:30PM

Could be. Risking a #8 pick on a guy who was a WR a year and a half ago is DANGEROUS!!!!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:30PM

At this point, unless Cleveland wants Tannehill, we have no competition for him. Seattle was the team you had to watch for trading up to get him, and now that's not going to happen.

Cleveland may be happy with their two first round picks, trying to add weapons for Colt McCoy. Cleveland's receiving corps is certainly one of the 3 or 4 worst in the NFL, so upgrading that talent can only help McCoy.
Everyone has Blackmon going to the Rams at #6. With their anemic WRs, I have a hard time seeing Cleveland passing on the best WR in the draft.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:43PM

It might be dangerous but we are staring at not having a real choice anymore.

I've said it a couple of times tonight but drafting Tannehill AND Wheeden might be the best thing for us to do as far as adding a lot of future talent to the QB position. We could always draft WR's in the 3rd round.

There is no hope of a one year turn around anymore...just not going to happen. So we might as well try to stock the roster for 2013 and beyond.

Moore, Tannehill, and Wheeden gives us a ton of talent, potential, and youth. As well as quality competition, and future growth. We might as well go for it because IMHO, 8-8 is the ceiling for this team in 2012...I'll be VERY suprised if we do better than that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 03:45PM by Ken.

Date: March 18, 2012 03:50PM

The real choice is the #1 pick in the 2013 draft.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:52PM

man realist, you are not living up to your name. we brought in payton and flynn to drive up their prices for other teams? we weren't interested in them? and the plan all along is to go into the draft with no QB so we are forced to reach for tannelhill at 8 or even worse trade up for him bc every team in the league knows we gotta get him in the draft? not very realistic IMHO

Date: March 18, 2012 03:55PM

Yeah I agree Berk, on the whole driving up the price thing. Realist is off. IMO of course

---------------------

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:57PM

It seems like we're backed into a corner. And I'm really tired of this retread QB solution, it makes this team look so desperate and then so foolish when the team gets rejected. It isn't going to work.

I mean really, if Ross & Ireland now think that Smith or Gerrard will miraculously sell out the stadium then they're out of their minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 03:57PM by 808phan.

Date: March 18, 2012 04:08PM

I don't have a problem with starting Moore if we draft a guy or two.

The Marshall trade was expedited by his idiocy, I wonder if the extra picks would be used to move up or get an additional 2nd?

I was hoping for a competitive season...unless they see more in Moore...it looks like another rebuild.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 18, 2012 11:50PM

With Moore we were competitive. We didn't beat a team with a winning final, but we beat teams who had winning records at the time:
- Jests last game of the season
- Oakland 7-4 at the time...and we smacked them good
- Kansas City and Buffalo (who both admittedly started way hotter than they had any business doing) and we smacked them even better
- we took NE to the line (same as Flynn did in GB a couple years ago)
- we scared the Cowboys at home
- we had absolutely no business losing to the Broncos, but last season was a season of destiny for them
- quite frankly, we should have beaten the Giants.

If you look at our last 11 games, we lost 3 to playoff teams including the Super Bowl matchup and a team whose destiny had it make up the largest deficit-to-time-remaining in years and the Cowboys in Dallas...by a combined 10 points. Our only "stinker" loss in our last 11 games was to Philly.

Moore was signed late and never really competed for starter in the preseason (at least from a fan's viewpoint...and it was obvious that Henne took hold of his opp to learn the playbook and stay ahead that way). he learned Daboll's offense on the fly and got pretty comfortable with it after about 3 games.

I'm positive I'm in the minority here, but I'm not heartbroken that we could be looking at Moore and Tannehill or Weedon in 2011. In the poll, I voted Peyton -> RGIII -> Flynn with commentary that if Philbin is sold on Flynn, then I am. To me, it seems like Philbin was not "all in" on Flynn. If you're a player looking at joining a coach who helped make you successful who's implementing his system, I don't buy that you turn down the Phins because of the GM. Do we even know if the Phins made an offer to him? My guess is that Philbin and Ireland were on the same page "if he wants this, then ok...if he wants that much then there are other options and better uses of our limited resources".

Date: March 19, 2012 02:23AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be. Risking a #8 pick on a guy who was a WR
> a year and a half ago is DANGEROUS!!!!

*SMART* This way Moore can throw to him if all else fails. Even made room trading Marshall.......confused smiley

Date: March 19, 2012 03:25AM

Hiring a new coach, trading your top WR and signing a 36yr old Qb does not seem like a realistic plan to me.

If Philbin liked Flynn that much then he would have been signed. there is no way Flynn chooses Seattle over us if we made a genuine offer. We did not make him a genuine offer...we did him a favour.

Looking at it from the outside...not knowing what they have prioritized, or what plan A-Z is....they appear incompetent.

IMO, it is unrealistic to believe that they truly are incompetent. It is more realistic to think that they have considered the effect of publicly pursuing and not getting a FA.

I am not saying everything went their way...or according to plan...only that some of the public actions had different expected outcomes. Especially the Flynn visit.

Date: March 19, 2012 03:41AM

Well, I wasn't saying that THIS was our 'sole' intent. I said...

"1) Make a pitch to get Manning...and if you we don't get him ,drive up the price. "

whether you agree that they considered this or not....we did make a pitch...it was NOT a ridiculous...' Peyton 'couldn't refuse'...'WHATEVER IT TAKES' offer....and...our pursuit of Manning did have the effect of increasing his market value.

I am going to go with the idea that a professional NFL GM and Billionaire business man considered what they were willing spend, and what the effect of their pursuit would be.

Date: March 19, 2012 04:54AM

occam's razor would dictate that if the options are
(1) this team is incompetent; or
(2) this team is only trying to appear incompetent in order to do a favor for a FA it has no intention of signing and drive up his price while he signs with another team leaving us with no QB and complete desperation at a position publicly targeted as being the #1 area to upgrade this offseason while taking huge PR hit among the media and fans and forcing us to overpay for a scrub like Alex Smith or trade up for converted WR Ryan Tannheill, then

option (1) is the correct choice.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: March 19, 2012 06:01AM

I am with you no this. I like Moore. Not losing sleep if he is the man.

Date: March 19, 2012 06:25PM

you have not presented equally accurate possibilities to which Occam's Razor would apply.

If the options are

1) this team is incompetent because they have been honest and transparent about their intentions, motives and strategy and have been unable to achieve them.

or

2) this team can not be judged as incompetent because they have not been honest and transparent about their intentions, motives, and strategy and we do not know what they were able to accomplish and what they were not.

The clear choice is option 2.

All we need to do is find an example of them doing something that we did not know about in advance, and showed that they were able to achieve it.

Case in point: Brandon Marshall trade was discussed and worked on in advance but without public disclosure, hinting, or communication. This trade was expedited by Marshall's negative conduct which could at some point get him suspended. The Dolphin's did not disclose the early negotiations and were able to achieve the goal before his stock plummeted.

Occam's Razor would indicate that we fans know less than we think we do, and are less qualified to assess their competency that we need to be in order to be competent in our assessments.

Date: March 19, 2012 06:37PM

I know enough to know Jeff Ireland and Steve Ross are morons

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 19, 2012 06:39PM

I think Berk woould cut those boys up pretty bad if got his hands on one of those Occam razors!

Date: March 20, 2012 08:42AM

LMAO...

that brought a much needed smile to my face! A good chuckle eases the pain :-)

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:49AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 21, 2012 10:43AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems like we're backed into a corner. And I'm
> really tired of this retread QB solution, it makes
> this team look so desperate and then so foolish
> when the team gets rejected. It isn't going to
> work.
>
> I mean really, if Ross & Ireland now think that
> Smith or Gerrard will miraculously sell out the
> stadium then they're out of their minds.

------------------------------------------------------

There was talk of Miami getting Tebow to help sell tickets. That wouldn't have lasted long because Tebow wouldn't be the starter.

What will sell tickets is the Dolphins winning!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.