Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What Manning can do for Denver, what Denver can do for Manning, and why I'm scared
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
What Manning can do for Denver, what Denver can do for Manning, and why I'm scared
Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: March 11, 2012 06:35AM

Alright, first off just for the record I'm a proponent of bringing Peyton Manning to Miami. But I have a question. What exactly does it mean (if anything) that Manning met with the Broncos first out of all of the other teams that are serious contenders for him? I mean we're apparently scheduled to meet with him this week as are several other teams, but why Denver first, and almost immediately after his press conference? Especially when he was JUST in south Florida?

Secondly, I'm hearing a lot about how Denver could be huge in this race, people looking at them as a serious playoff team with a really good young defense and talented young receivers and they're a team that made the playoffs last season and WON in the playoffs with, without question, the single most atrocious QB play in the NFL.

Now the interesting part. This just might be Elway's ticket out of the whole Tebow debacle, that being having to deal with a fan base that by in large possesses a fanatical obsession with Tim Tebow that makes benching, trading, or cutting the kid nearly impossible given how beloved he is and consequently, how much money he makes the franchise. And all this despite his playing horribly most of the time in most games and seriously handcuffing that team with his limitations as a passer. This may be the only way Elway could be able to sneak Tebow out the back door without the fans calling for his head and setting the city on fire in protest.

Actually it's a win win for Elway and the Broncos. If Manning's great, Denver's great and a window opens up for Elway to possibly get rid of Tebow without risking some kind of stupid fallout from the fan base. And even if Manning doesn't really pan out the way you would hope and he's just ok for a year or two up there, just having made the move which put Tebow on the bench, opens the door to getting rid of him completely in some form or fashion, which let's be honest, Elway and Fox have been obsessed with doing since Tebow took his first snap as the starter.

That being said, given the fact that we have no chance this season of being able to draft the young elite franchise QB we so desperately need for the future, (I'm not high on Tannehill, especially at 8) I'm hoping against hope we land Manning and have a nice stop gap for a couple years, where we are competing in the playoffs in that time and maybe doing so with a small chance for some magic to happen. I say, let's sign Manning, play hard, and go all out for the next couple seasons with the chance to do something big, while at the same time, start trading down in the draft starting with the 2013 draft and stockpile some picks as ammo for a big move up, somewhere to the top of a near-future draft to hopefully grab a top shelf QB and begin our decade of dominance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Manning can do for Denver, what Denver can do for Manning, and why I'm scared
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 07:19AM

manning is going to denver, get used to it. if he does, and is healthy, they will be a SB contender.doesn't matter to me, we're not contending for the SB any time soon.
what scares me is that after whiffing on manning, and assuming we don't get flynn either, that idiot ross will tell ireland to do what it takes to trade for Tebow. In which case, I am done as a fan.

Re: What Manning can do for Denver, what Denver can do for Manning, and why I'm scared
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 11, 2012 07:42AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> manning is going to denver, get used to it. if he
> does, and is healthy, they will be a SB
> contender.doesn't matter to me, we're not
> contending for the SB any time soon.
> what scares me is that after whiffing on manning,
> and assuming we don't get flynn either, that idiot
> ross will tell ireland to do what it takes to
> trade for Tebow. In which case, I am done as a
> fan.

I certainly don't share your pessimism Berk, but if that happens I'm out as well.

If we trade for Tebow it would be proof positive to me that Ross is only interested in selling tickets and not serious about winning.

I don't think that's the case, but we'll see.

Frankly, I think if we actually get to meet with Manning we have a good shot at getting the deal done.

I don't but the "Denver has a better roster" crap.

We have the best WR of the bunch and Bess and Hartline are every bit as good if not better as anyone on their roster not named Demaryius Thomas.

I'd take Bush over a 31 year old Mcgahee in a heartbeat and I'd take Thomas over any other back on their roster.

Long is better than Clady.

And our defense was/is better than theirs DESPITE having to play the AFC east 2x and not the insanely weak AFC west.

Not to mention that our draft position is much stronger.

The only things Denver has going for it that we don't is more cap space and no Patriots, but if Manning isn't greedy we have enough flexibility to sign Wayne and/or Clark if he needs them.

As for the weaker division...there's nothing we can do about that. If that is the deciding factor we can't compete.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 07:49AM

I just can't see any way manning comes to miami. denver has a better defense, a better o line, a budding star WR in thomas, plus a lot more money to sign payton's "buddies." Plus--and this can't be overstated--imagine getting pitched to by john elway in the meeting room, vs steve ross and jeff ireland. I can't see him coming here, and frankly, this is getting nuts---basically teams are going to give him a crap load of money and are too afraid to ask him to work out for fear it will piss him off. maybe we should just move on too and try for flynn instead. the browns seem to have the right idea---though they should've made the move for rg3

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 07:58AM

If it's true that Manning is refusing to work out then he obviously isn't ready and hopes that he will be by opening day. That just isn't good enough for Miami to take a chance on. Let Denver have him. I'm thinking that it might be true that Manning is leaning toward Denver because of the cushy schedule. If that's the case then do we really want him?

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 11, 2012 08:01AM

Flynn, makes the most sense now. No way, I'd sign a guy who has screws in his neck and won't throw. We have the upper hand on Flynn against Cleveland, well because it's in Cleveland.

Date: March 11, 2012 08:26AM

Tebow got rocked more then a few times. They better build that line or order Peyton a nice wheel chair.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 08:36AM

broncos were TEBOW POSING and injecting each other with PEDs. Theyre in deep S, 4 suspensions. I think it makes a difference. Definately for their playoff chances!!

Date: March 11, 2012 08:46AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I just can't see any way manning comes to miami.
> denver has a better defense

No they don't.

Ours is better than theirs in yards and ppg (by a lot).

Bailey and Dawkins are on Social Security and our only "old" player on defense is Bell, who is the easiest to replace at SS.

You can say it, but that doesn't make it so.

>, a better o line,

How do yo figure? They gave up more sacks than us. Their primary back averaged less YPC than ours.

Long is better than Clady. Pouncey is better than their 2nd Olineman...

> a
> budding star WR in thomas,

Good player. Still not as good as an established star in Marshall...but certainly a plus for them.

> plus a lot more money
> to sign payton's "buddies."

There's the thing we don't have...not that we can't sign his buddies, we just don't have $40 mill in cap space.

>Plus--and this can't
> be overstated--imagine getting pitched to by john
> elway in the meeting room, vs steve ross and jeff
> ireland. I can't see him coming here, and frankly,
> this is getting nuts---basically teams are going
> to give him a crap load of money and are too
> afraid to ask him to work out for fear it will
> piss him off. maybe we should just move on too and
> try for flynn instead. the browns seem to have the
> right idea---though they should've made the move
> for rg3

They did make a move for RG3...on friday. They got blown out of the water by Washington's offer.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 11, 2012 08:56AM

Mortenson & Schefter both reporting Dolphins are out of the picture, Down to Cards & Broncos. Were we ever in consideration? Best for a long term plan

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 11, 2012 09:14AM

I think Manning is looking for the easier division ticket. Look at how few games the donks won yet still won their division. And zona? Another division where he could lead his team to the playoffs easier than he could here.

So in my conclusion, if he isn't interested in playing here then Tom Brady has scared him off. And here I was thinking all along that he loves to compete, turns out that he'd be a total sissy if he snubs the fins - not the fiery competitor I thought he was. The dude wants a cakewalk.

I'm seriously doubting that he'll sign with this team. Now we know why he went straight to the donks for his 1st team visit, and now I'm wondering if he'll even bother to meet with the fins.

Date: March 11, 2012 09:15AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Mortenson & Schefter both reporting Dolphins are
> out of the picture, Down to Cards & Broncos. Were
> we ever in consideration? Best for a long term
> plan

If we never got a meeting we were never in the picture.

Tell you one thing for sure if they are right...Manning's condo in Miami should be on the market shortly.

Date: March 11, 2012 09:24AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 11, 2012 09:29AM

If that report is accurate, then we're out of the picture because we've decided on other options.

Like I said in a different thread, if Philbin wants Flynn and feels he's the #1 option for Miami then we're not really in the Manning chase per se. Of course Ross and Ireland would have to be on-board as well.

But this is all speculation IMO and nothing matters until a deal is signed and the check clears.

The next 72 hours will be quite interesting...

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 09:30AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 11, 2012 09:35AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Mortenson & Schefter both reporting Dolphins are
> out of the picture, Down to Cards & Broncos. Were
> we ever in consideration? Best for a long term
> plan

He's with AZ today, supposed to meet with us tomorrow, i'll believe this report if he cancels his meeting with us. If were out of the picture, I see no reason for him to waste his and our time meeting with us. And before you say "it's to jack up the price for Denver/AZ" Manning is gonna get what he want's, I don't see him needing to squeeze a few bux out of anyone.

Date: March 11, 2012 09:43AM

Date: March 11, 2012 09:46AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 11, 2012 10:23AM

If Manning doesn't sign with the Dolphins he might want to consider selling his condo here, because I envision more rocks being thrown at him than Sparano had. His testicular fortitude is seriously on the line. Choosing a cushy division to play in over ours is really being chicken ****.

I really don't think his decision will have anything to do with Ross or Ireland being clowns. I'm thinking he wants to be able to win a division with a 9-7 record instead of hoping to be a wildcard. I'd be very impressed if he has a pair.

Date: March 11, 2012 11:28AM

Date: March 11, 2012 12:24PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 11, 2012 12:29PM

Don't be scared homie.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 11, 2012 12:34PM

What if Manning is saving Miami for last because he wants to be able to agree to terms with them and be able to start work the next day, without having to relocate himself and his family? Think about it. He agrees to terms on Tuesday, and Manning goes to work with his new coaches and new receivers on Wednesday.

And in the world of college recruiting, being the last team to make a pitch is seen as an advantage. Maybe it's the same here.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 11, 2012 12:49PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> We have the best WR of the bunch.

RESPONSE: Yeah, Peyton would JUST LOVE to come to a place where Brandon Marshall, like after the Pro Bowl, will be their like Tom Brady's wife, publicly BLAMING PEYTON for being an old man who just can't "get me" the ball and at the same time dropping 7 passes that are right in his hands while he is standing in the endzone.

Yeah, that really makes Miami an attractive place to come and have fellowship with that great human being Brandon Marshall.eye rolling smiley

You know, TT, you throw around a lot of aspersions as to my sanity but with statements like that, I'm reminded of an ole saying that "Funny thing about crazy people...they think everyone is crazy except them."

That statement really proved it for you, TT.

----------------------------------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.