HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          There goes plan B
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
There goes plan B
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 09, 2012 05:35PM

Washington just traded 3 first round picks to the Rams for the #2 overall pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: There goes plan B
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 09, 2012 05:53PM

You're missing a #2 as well.

That's just crazy. Great deal for the Rams. Absolutely a jackass deal for Washington.

Date: March 09, 2012 05:55PM

Actually, they swapped this years first and gave them there 2013 and 2014 first round picks, and a 2 rounder.

So ultimately, 2 first round picks and a second round pick.

---------------------

Date: March 09, 2012 05:57PM

I think it's a great deal for a future star QB. Too bad he will get killed in that dead sports town by a terrible team.

---------------------

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:08PM

A lot for an unproven. Could be Cam Newton, or Jemarcus Russell

Posted by: slipstream ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:09PM

not a bad haul for the Rams--2 firsts and a second for moving down four spots.

Cleveland seems to be going hard after Flynn, so if we whiff on Manning maybe we're looking at Tannehill at #8. Yikes.

Date: March 09, 2012 06:22PM

LOL. I know you love RG3 but seriously the deal is an absolute heist for STL.

The ONLY player in the NFL I’d even consider that kind of ransom for is Aaron Rogers. And he’s a proven NFL superstar. No way anyone can predict RG3 is going to be on par with Aaron Rogers? RG3 is an NFL prospect at this point. End of story.

It’s just reckless to wager that much on an unproven college kid who still needs 2-3 years to develop in the NFL – and after that there’s no guarantee he’s worth that kind of insane price tag. The odds are greater he’ll flunk-out or get injured or busted-up or whatever…

Bottom line, way too many variables to roll the dice and hope and pray you get “lucky.” The odds are overwhelmingly in the favor of STL on this deal. They could build a dynasty with that kind of trade if they play their cards right.

I mean seriously, lets get real.

BNF.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:33PM

Skins & Snyder are known for such gambles that have never paid off that I can recall

Date: March 09, 2012 06:36PM

I disagree. 2 first round picks and a second round pick is a steal is he turns out to be what is expected.

If not, who cares, because everyone will be fired anyways.

I think both teams got a great deal.

---------------------

Date: March 09, 2012 06:39PM

Correct. And more than that, these type of deals have historically been LOSERS for the team giving up their future for one prospect.

I'm just glad we didn't get really stupid about this and try to make the move. But I was 100% sure Ireland was NOT that freaking stupid. He might be a punk but he's not going to get swindled.

I guess we know why Fisher went to STL. With that kind of draft artillery he sould be able to make a HUGE impact in pretty short order.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:43PM

Date: March 09, 2012 06:52PM

STL is getting 3 #1's and #2 this year. The #2 is only about 14 picks after the #1 they supposedly would have recieved from Cleveland PLUS they have 2 more #1's. I'm pretty sure they figured the deal out and went with the bigger sucker.

No matter how you slice it -- it's a amazing deal for STL. Their fans have got to be celebrating in the streets! I mean -- drop down a few places and get ALL THAT!

Date: March 09, 2012 06:59PM

They are getting 2 #1's. This year first round is a swaP of picks

---------------------

Date: March 09, 2012 07:14PM

Call one of the #1's a swap if you want but the facts are:

For the #2 pick STL is receiving 3 #1's and a #2.

And for giggles I read a bit over at gang green and the consensus over there is the same - they think it's a rediculous deal in favor of STL. You don't even make those kind of deals for an NFL player let alone a college kid. It's a huge risk that will most likely alter the destiny of the Rams in a very positive way.

The joke now is, with that kind of insane trade the Colts should've kept Manning and traded the #1 pick -- for what? 4 #1's?

Date: March 09, 2012 07:18PM

Yeah, BNF but I like present picks more than future picks (even if there are more of the latter). With Cleveland they get the swap plus ONE MORE NUMBER 1 THIS YEAR.

Date: March 09, 2012 07:25PM

I like present as well. But keep in mind STL can use those picks in this draft in they want to. So future picks are like currency, you can spend them sooner if you want.

I also think there's a pshchologiacal aspect to this as well. The fans feel great about the future when they know they have a multiple #1's for the next two years. Nothing wrong with that in terms of building a team for the near future, which is exactly what Fisher is doing...

Date: March 09, 2012 07:46PM

To each his own but you make a good point about being able to trade those future picks right now, maybe even in this draft to load up on this year's draft talent.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 09, 2012 08:12PM

That's OK because everyone I wanted is still available to us. (Flynn and Tannehill who is now THE best option in the draft, JMO)

I just knew RGIII would be way to expensive.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 10, 2012 01:03AM

Plan B is still Flynn, Manning just needs to return and he needs to make a decision on the Phins by Tue. It's not like the Dolphins don't have options with Flynn entering free agency.

Miami has a good backup with Moore in the wings, the Manning deal should not break the bank, and somehow Miami should maneuver it to at least sign Reggie Wayne as well.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 10, 2012 01:53AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoa. Here I come in disagreeing with EVERYBODY.
>
> Unless I am wrong, Cleveland was rumored to be
> offering a swap from 2 to 4 (Wash drafts 6 so you
> lose two spots) plus another number one from THIS
> YEAR number 22.
>
> Just considering number 1s. To me, I'd rather
> have TWO 2012 1st rounders than One 2012, one
> 2013, and one 2014.
>
> You never know how valuable the 2013 and 2014
> picks are going to be. They could end up both
> being the 32 picks.
>
> So I think it was DUMB OF ST. LOUIS to take one
> 2012 pick and 2 future years instead of two 2012
> draft picks unless they could not work a deal with
> Cleveland.

According to every reliable source, Flynn is Cleveland's #1 target, and they had shown no interest in trading up for RGIII. They much prefer the idea of signing Flynn and keeping their 2 first round picks to build his supporting cast.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:04AM

Date: March 10, 2012 02:06AM

Manning will go else where, Flynn will sign with Cleveland, and we will sign a WR-turn-QB who has a year and a half experience with the #8 overall pick.

angry smiley

---------------------

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 10, 2012 04:04AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> They are getting 2 #1's. This year first round is
> a swaP of picks

That's one way to look at at.

Everyone else looks at it this way:

Washington acquired the #2 overall pick from St Louis in exchange for First round picks in 2012, 1013, 2014 and a Second round pick in 2012.

Cost of acquiring the #2 overall pick is Three #1's and a #2.

winking smiley

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 10, 2012 04:17AM

I am glad that The Deadskins agreed to trade with the Rams to acquire Griffin that means I don't have to here how we need to trade the farm and draft this unproven kid. Griffin will be the death knell to a once proud coach as Shanahan will be fired after this catastrophe blows up in his face. You give up that much for a run 1st QB that played in the spread. Then you really don't understand the pro game or what kind of QB you need to be sucessful in it. I would not trade 2 1st round picks for Luck either although he will by far be the better of these two QB's coming out this year. You don't sell the farm before your greatest harvest has been gathered, and that is exactly what the Deadskins have done. Mama says stupid is what stupid does, and that was beyond stupid. Their owner Daniel Snyder has a mockery out of trying to meddle in his teams affairs. Well Danny boy your team will continue to suck for a long time to come I think. You might might try, and salvage his career as a wide reciever but still way too much too give up if he fails to be an impact QB.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 10, 2012 05:07AM

This trade will and should be graded in 2 or 3 years, but that was a lot to give up and it would of cost us more. Like I said, only time will tell.

Date: March 10, 2012 05:43AM

That owner has always been an ass. The redskins have been crap since he bought them. .............BUT he finally might have made the skins a good deal. RGIII will be Killer.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 10, 2012 06:47AM

Finshady Wrote:
You give up that much for a run 1st QB that
> played in the spread. Then you really don't
> understand the pro game or what kind of QB you
> need to be sucessful in it.

I have to laugh at the uneducated people who still call rg3 a run first qb lol (do you not have a tv)... i cant understand how people can give an opinion and have NO clue of what they are saying.

Anyway how long have our fake fans have KILLED the dolphins for passing on qb's like brees. If you see a guy you like you go for him. Did they pay too much for him? everyone knew that 2 extra first rounders was the asking price. They paid his value, now will he pan out is the qutestion. And further you dont know that they will get RG3 since the last time i checked the colts have not drafted yet...

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 10, 2012 07:22AM

Finshady Wrote:
> I am glad that The Deadskins agreed to trade with
> the Rams to acquire Griffin that means I don't
> have to here how we need to trade the farm and
> draft this unproven kid. Griffin will be the
> death knell to a once proud coach as Shanahan will
> be fired after this catastrophe blows up in his
> face. You give up that much for a run 1st QB that
> played in the spread. Then you really don't
> understand the pro game or what kind of QB you
> need to be sucessful in it. I would not trade 2
> 1st round picks for Luck either although he will
> by far be the better of these two QB's coming out
> this year. You don't sell the farm before your
> greatest harvest has been gathered, and that is
> exactly what the Deadskins have done. Mama says
> stupid is what stupid does, and that was beyond
> stupid. Their owner Daniel Snyder has a mockery
> out of trying to meddle in his teams affairs.
> Well Danny boy your team will continue to suck for
> a long time to come I think. You might might try,
> and salvage his career as a wide reciever but
> still way too much too give up if he fails to be
> an impact QB.

Having read that, I am more convinced than ever that RG3 will be the NFL rookie of the year next season and will break all of Cam Newton's rookie QB records.

cool smiley

Date: March 10, 2012 07:24AM

Perhaps I’m an idiot and not a certified NFL Mensa Member but I'm more impressed by RG3 athletically (i.e., his speed and running) than his "arm" (mechanics included).

Or let me be more specific and rather blunt:

Turn RG3 into an inferior athlete like the Lady with no Formula One mobility and judge his “game” based solely on his ability to play in the pocket…

NO WAY the kid is drafted in the first 3 rounds in that case. So like it or not, his ability to run is what’s making him a hot commodity.

My opinion. Of course.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 08:12AM

BNF. I respect your opinions and usually agree with you. However, I think your way off about RGIII.

Go read a detailed scouting report. His mechanics are very good and his feet are amazing. He will have little trouble mastering dropbacks from center. He was manipulating safeties all year at Baylor. The Baylor spread is nothing like the Oklahoma and Texas spread. He actually took a number of snaps from under center. He is very smart and he doesn't take off and run. He extends plays and is always looking downfield.

Like I said in another thread, he grades out at 7.3. That is higher than any QB besides Luck in the past decade. Ryan, Stafford, and Bradford are next highest in that order. Stafford and Bradford didn't even crack 7.0. His skills include so much more than his athletic ability. He would be a first rounder if he was an average athlete. His athleticism is more like icing on the cake.

I think the Skins made a decent move if they can properly develop RGIII. Shannahan just bought himself another two or three years. They have tons of cap room to bring in upgrades to their WR corps, secondary, and OL. They have a decent group of RBs, a promising front 7, and a promising young TE in Fred Davis. And they made Washington a more desirable destination so they won't have to overpay players to sign with them.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.