HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Time to stop fighting it..........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Time to stop fighting it..........
Date: March 07, 2012 02:41PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time to stop fighting it..........
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 07, 2012 02:45PM

He's the guy. Let's do it!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 08:25AM

Ok im beginning to get the superbowl fever...

Or playoff fever....Lets start with the playoffs first. It seems like we havent made the playoffs in a decade.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 08:38AM

And the last time we went to the playoffs with pennington it lasted just a game. Or not even a game, the playoff fever that year lasted about a quarter..........after that i knew the ravens were going to beat us.

Not getting off the bandwagon though. I didnt even get off the bandwagon even the year we won just 1 game with that genious cameron.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:16AM

It seems kind of inevitable but that’s more circumstantial than anything, at least at this point IMO.

I’ve been thumbs down on the idea, but after seeing the impromptu parking lot interview yesterday, and considering Payton’s overall durability, which has been excellent until the neck, well – if the neck is “fine” as he says, he certainly sounded like a dude that really wants to play football.

My reservation is still about the match between him and the prototypical “mobility” and throwing on the move that Philbin would prefer. I’m just not sure how Philbin would integrate Manning into the system he wants to implement. But if Manning can still move, and we all know he works like a madman, he should be able to function in a different style O. Unless we cave in and adapt our O to his specifications?

That’s the part I’m unclear on. And not sure it’s the right move for a team with a new HC and a new system to install. Tho of course Manning and everyone else would be learning it together…

Definitely some serious things there to be sorted out before we make any final decisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 09:18AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:29AM

I've seen posts like over the years this saying we've got harbaugh, fisher in the bag. We may get manning, we may not. If the past few years have shown anything, it's the nothing is too sure a thing that we can't screw it up.

Date: March 08, 2012 09:34AM

Personally I NEVER thought we had Hairbrush or Fisher in the bag. They're NOT SFL kind of dudes IMO.

Fisher stayed out of a BIG MARKET for a reason. And Hairbrush had a too cushy situation to walk away from.

But yea, it's never a done deal until the check clears. But we're in very good spot this time. And the rest of the league knows it.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:34AM

Get Manning and dump Philbin. As I said before if he cannot incorporate a hall of fame qb into his 'system' screw him. A good coach can adapt his schemes to his players. It should not be I have to have the right players for my scheme.

Shula could design an offense for any group of players.

Date: March 08, 2012 09:45AM

If you build a system around Manning (like a duplicate of what he ran in Indy) then where does that leave us if he breaks down?

I would much prefer Manning adapts (at least halfway) to the plan Philbin has in mind and we have a Moore and another development QB in the stable to move forward with.

I'm pretty sure Manning can get rid of the ball quickly, and make quick reads, and still move well enough to function in a mobile pocket and throw on the run. So I see no reason he can't get the job done in a WCO environment.

Maybe he’s going to need some work on his legs and work on cardio, but the dude is athletic enough to fit the spec IMO.

BNF.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:48AM

manning can run (probably teach) any system. I imagine philbin isn't going to scrap his playbook just bc he have manning. I am sure it will be supplemented with manning's "favorite" plays.
the benefit of manning is his intelligence. it will be great having that in our huddle.

Date: March 08, 2012 09:49AM

Date: March 08, 2012 09:55AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> manning can run (probably teach) any system. I
> imagine philbin isn't going to scrap his playbook
> just bc he have manning. I am sure it will be
> supplemented with manning's "favorite" plays.
> the benefit of manning is his intelligence. it
> will be great having that in our huddle.

Leadership. Smarts. And football moxy. Manning has all that AND I'd be surprised if he wasn't into the "challange" of ramping up a new system in Miami. That gives him a chance to reinvent his game to a degree and get every ounce out of the tank.

I mean Philbin is either a Great O coach or not. But we deserve (and he deserves) the opportunity to see what he can do with a player like Manning. Bottom line, there is a legit possibility Philbin could actually help Manning be a better player...

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:56AM

The problem w/ Manning in Indy is they gave him to much control. Don't know if its true but I hear he took all of the snaps in practice and did not allow his backups to develop. If this is true the org needs to
take care of things like this at the beginning. The other problem in Indy was their defense our D is much stronger.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 10, 2012 03:37PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> It seems kind of inevitable but that’s more
> circumstantial than anything, at least at this
> point IMO.
>
> I’ve been thumbs down on the idea, but after
> seeing the impromptu parking lot interview
> yesterday, and considering Payton’s overall
> durability, which has been excellent until the
> neck, well – if the neck is “fine” as he
> says, he certainly sounded like a dude that really
> wants to play football.
>
> My reservation is still about the match between
> him and the prototypical “mobility” and
> throwing on the move that Philbin would prefer.
> I’m just not sure how Philbin would integrate
> Manning into the system he wants to implement. But
> if Manning can still move, and we all know he
> works like a madman, he should be able to function
> in a different style O. Unless we cave in and
> adapt our O to his specifications?
>
> That’s the part I’m unclear on. And not sure
> it’s the right move for a team with a new HC and
> a new system to install. Tho of course Manning and
> everyone else would be learning it together…
>
> Definitely some serious things there to be sorted
> out before we make any final decisions.

I'm confident Manning can adapt to any system, but just don't have him moving TOO MUCH <g>.

Seriously, with a whole new coaching staff in there, I am sure that they could easily tailor their plays around Manning, and Manning will be key in getting those plays in the books. No one has practiced these plays, as yet(?), and who knows how many plays Philbin and Sherman have put in so far?

That is one important reason they need to get Manning signed ASAP. If I were Ross, once they have their get together, I wouldn't let Manning leave the building without signing the contract. I caveat this, however, with "depending on his health." So maybe I should just say, that Ross should show Manning the contract and say, "OK, let's go outside and let me see you throw the ball around." If everything goes well, have Manning sign right there on the field, or in the parking lot, or wherever they happen to be.

I still say, if healthy, Manning is the best bet for Miami to get to the post season quickly.

Date: March 10, 2012 03:42PM

Philbin showed alot the way he handled the report on his recent deceased son. I'm sorry but that guy appears Tough as nails. manning? His first hit is going to be a huge moment , we shall see. i think The redskins made a great decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.