HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Latest on the Quarterback Situation.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Latest on the Quarterback Situation.
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:52AM

The NFL Network just reported that the Dolphins are, indeed, the favorites to sign Manning. That apparently is the buzz around the combine.

Why are they the favorites? It is because the Dolphins are supposedly willing to sign him to a contract before he is fully recovered. Yikes.

In addition, they say the Dolphins like Ryan Tanehill a whole lot. They are strongly considering picking him with the 8th pick in order to groom him for the future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Latest on the Quarterback Situation.
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:11AM

I would sign him before he is completely healthy odds are that he will rehab to play again at at high level does anyone doubt his professionalism and leadership skills.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:16AM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:17AM

You sign guys when they become available. Manning has already said he'll sign a team friendly deal with less up front money.

Mortenson said the other day he's well on his way to recovery and throwing the ball better than some would lead you to believe.

Why wait?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:19AM

Chad Pennington - Part Deux!! angry smiley

I hope this one turns out better.

Date: February 28, 2012 05:21AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chad Pennington - Part Deux!! angry smiley
>
> I hope this one turns out better.

Or maybe this is Trent Green - Chapter 3?? Daunte Culpepper - #4?

I'm understandably leery about signing injured QBs.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:41AM

IMO, We have Moore...we want to upgrade but know he can start.

We draft a young guy and groom him.

Sign Manning to a 2 year contract that has lot's of easy to achieve targets. Give him $4 mill guaranteed each year, with the ability to earn another $10 MIllion.

$1 million if he plays half the games
$1 Million for the whole season
$2 Million per play-off game.

That way if he plays the whole season but don't make the play-offs we paid him $6 Mil, and if We win the Superbowl he gets $14 Mil.

If he gets hurt, can't play...then we go with Moore until JR is ready and then re-assess next year.

Date: February 28, 2012 05:54AM

realist Wrote:
> IMO, We have Moore...we want to upgrade but know
> he can start.
>
> We draft a young guy and groom him.
>
> Sign Manning to a 2 year contract that has lot's
> of easy to achieve targets. Give him $4 mill
> guaranteed each year, with the ability to earn
> another $10 MIllion.
>
> $1 million if he plays half the games
> $1 Million for the whole season
> $2 Million per play-off game.
>
> That way if he plays the whole season but don't
> make the play-offs we paid him $6 Mil, and if We
> win the Superbowl he gets $14 Mil.
>
>
> If he gets hurt, can't play...then we go with
> Moore until JR is ready and then re-assess next
> year.

My concern: What if Manning THINKS he can play, but really can't, and we end up with a PR nightmare? Remember when Marino insisted on playing injured? Culpepper? Pennington? I'd hate for this to ruin our season. It would also mean we'd be paying a capable Moore to sit on the bench.

I'd rather bid for RG3 and accept Tannehill as a consolation prize...but stay away from Manning altogether.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2012 05:55AM by montequi.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:41AM

Stay away from Manning.

Don't YOU DARE DRAFT TANNEHILL at no. 8. If you can't get RGIII then go to team improvement in the first round and draft Weeden in the second round.

Another option is, of course, Flynn.

But you guys are GENUINE suckers if you want Manning. It's like getting Babe Ruth WAY PAST his prime BUT ADDITIONALLY, if the Bambino had an ALSO HAD AN injured arm.

But the Dolphins always make the worst decision.

You guys have to conquer your DESIRES with your reason.

Stand back!!!!

You're not getting the PEYTON MANNING that compiled all those statistics.

You're getting an old man with health problems.

Don't be a sucker!!!

But of course TT, who has supported this Miami Dolphin regime back to where it first came in and has excused or justified all of its stupid moves is behind this. That should tell you something right there.

-------------------------------------------------

Date: February 28, 2012 11:25AM

Miami has been drafting others people castoffs for decades. When we do actually draft someone of value , we let them go in free agency.

THIS is a cycle that needs to be stopped if we ever want any success. We need to draft a QB , one that will be successful for the Long haul. Built around him. Only Luck and RGIII fit that criteria. the draft picks we give where shots in the dark anyways and it will only hurt for a year or two. We are not that far off and can address the line and other stop gaps in free agency.

Date: February 28, 2012 12:27PM

Amen.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 28, 2012 12:50PM

Manning certainly would put BUTTS in the seats for sure and he's the glitz that Ross craves. Even if we end at 8 - 8 Ross would consider the season a success from a purely business standpoint. My concern is if Philbin really wants Flynn to run his WCO but gets over ruled in favor of Pennington part deux and gets stuck trying to fit a round peg into the provebial square hole. After two lackluster seasons Manning finally sees the light and retires while we, the fans, decide that any coach that can't sniff the big game with arguably the second best QB of all time surely can't be the answer so, ring around the rosey, Philbin is rebuilding the offense in year three on a very short leash. But hey, we filled the stadium 16 straight games without giving away any free seats.confused smiley

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 28, 2012 01:27PM

I'd also stay away from Manning...but, I would take Tannehill at #8 if he's there. Wheeden in the second is also a good consolation prize as would be Foles. RG would be a great pick up but he will be entirely too expensive..JMO.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 28, 2012 01:43PM

I keep reading that Manning is Pennington part 2, how in the hell can anyone compare these two at all???????? Injury wise or career wise??????

Posted by: Arkiefinsguy ()
Date: February 28, 2012 02:21PM

How many of you have actually seen Tannehill play? Are you serious about drafting a guy(with the 8th pick), that threw 15 INTS and led a talented Texas A&M team to a magnificent 7-6 record? I just don't get it. Weeden from OK State is the guy I would pick between the two but, neither one of them with the 8th pick. We need to load up on RG3 in my opionion if we can trade up.

Date: February 28, 2012 03:05PM

I agree with you ArkieFinsguy.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 28, 2012 03:59PM

Manning's neck is entirely healed. He is at no further risk to sustain a neck injury than any other player in the NFL, and by all accounts he's throwing quite well with good arm strength so it looks as if his nerve regeneration has been adequate.

I'd jump all over Peyton and happily take 3 years with him. He's the only proven commodity in play, and he's one of the greatest QBs ever.

Date: February 28, 2012 04:12PM

First of all, you are dealing with an injury that side-lined him for a year. Not took him out of the last game of the season but sidelined him for the entire season.

Secondly, it's not a broken leg or an ankle sprain or a bruised shoulder.

Thirdly, do you necessarily believe in the absence of bias of whoever is giving you rosy reports.

Hey, it's like any con game in a big city.

The greatest ally to the con man is the victim's desire to believe in the truth of the con game.

Date: February 28, 2012 04:19PM

The nature of Manning's injury does not leave him significantly more vulnerable to further injury to his neck. Either the procedure was a success, or it was not. In Manning's case, it was medically successful. Therefore, he is not at an increased risk to a future neck injury. He shares the same odds as anyone playing in the NFL.

These "rosy" reports came from both Schefter and Mortensen. Both reported that he's throwing well, his arm strength looks good, and earlier reports about his arm were grossly inaccurate.

Date: February 29, 2012 03:20AM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
> The nature of Manning's injury does not leave him
> significantly more vulnerable to further injury to
> his neck. Either the procedure was a success, or
> it was not. In Manning's case, it was medically
> successful. Therefore, he is not at an increased
> risk to a future neck injury. He shares the same
> odds as anyone playing in the NFL.
>
> These "rosy" reports came from both Schefter and
> Mortensen. Both reported that he's throwing well,
> his arm strength looks good, and earlier reports
> about his arm were grossly inaccurate.

That's exactly right Fu.

But those media reports only matter to us as fans.

The Dolphins will get to see him throw, will have him pass a physical and will get to review his medical records. At the end of the day they will know if the injuries were as reported and if his recovery is genuine or just a product of the media BEFORE they sign him.

Manning has to be option "A" because he is, as you pointed out, the only proven commodity available and because he becomes available first.

My only concern with him is that he is a short term (2-3 years) solution.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 29, 2012 04:23AM

I'm beginning to warm up to signing Manning. He brings up the talent and leadership that we have not had in years.

Flynn no way in hell am i drinking that cool aid.

RGIII Love the kid don't want to sell the farm to get him.

Tannehill just stop the madness. This guy is not half as good as Mallet.

Manning and Moore gives us another year to draft a qb.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 29, 2012 04:24AM

Quote:

"Tannehill just stop the madness. This guy is not half as good as Mallet."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Please explain to me why Ryan Mallett was brought up.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 29, 2012 04:56AM

Date: February 29, 2012 05:18AM

Hey, Tannehill beat Griffin straight up.

We have to at least look at Manning but at this point in his career he's nothing more than another stop gap guy...the two or three years he's here only serves to slow down the development of whomever we draft. If he can still play at the level he was before injury then maybe but we need to be thinking long term here not band aid solutions...Manning is just that, JMO.

Flynn played well in college, won a championship, and has played very well in each opportunity in the pro's. He'd be moving into a very similar system with familiar coaches and with the benefit of talented WR's, decent TE's, and pass catching RB's...there is every reason to think he'll continue that good play if he's brought here.

RGIII, well the latest guess is that St. Louis is asking for a 1st and 2nd this year, and a 1st and 3rd next year...as an preliminary entry level offer...no thanks. Even Marino, great as he was, was not worth that much. Tannehill is the closest thing in this draft to RGIII when you look at the total package ot arm, accuracy, athletisism, size, speed, and smarts. Luck is simply, and completely, out of the question, because of the price to get him, provided Indianapolis whould even entertain offers.

Wheeden is a good prospect but his age is a concern...good fall back guy in the second round though.

Date: February 29, 2012 05:32AM

Date: February 29, 2012 07:57AM

Look, I simply think the draft picks collectively are worth much, much, more than ANY one player is worth...there are zero guarantee's that RGIII will be a francise guy, same as all of the other options. It's a sizeable risk no matter which way we go but at least Flynn (my personal choice) has shown that he can do it in the pro's, and would be up to speed and comfortable, from day one.

I mean let's say for instance that we add Flynn and stick with Moore as the backup. Then we add a Dominate RG in Rd 1, and a big play TE in Rd 2. Then next year we add a Dominate RT in Rd 1 and a big play S in Rd 3...the team is much better off than it would be with RGIII along with a 3rd and a 2nd.

But drafting Tannehill hedges our bets at QB...same as Wheeden would in the 2nd. The big difference is this, RGIII had better be ready to play at a high level from day one, even if he has to sit on the bench for a little while due to an interim veteran guy starting.

Date: February 29, 2012 08:11AM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
> My only concern with him is that he is a short
> term (2-3 years) solution.
>
> 2-3 years of being a legit playoff contender
> though. It's a tough choice, but after decades of
> futility, I think I'd risk winning now with
> Manning while trying to coach his replacement, as
> opposed to trading up for him.

This will not happen BECAUSE we are ALSO WEAK IN OTHER AREAS OF THE TEAM. THIS IS NOT, I REPEAT, WE ARE NOT THE PACKERS WITHOUT AARON RODGERS. WE ARE NOT THE PATS WITHOUT BRADY. WE ARE NOT THE JETS WITH OR WITHOUT AS YOU MAY HAVE IT, MARK SANCHEZ.

WE HAVE MANY PROBLEMS. WE ARE A TEAM WITH THE EIGHTH DRAFT PICK. TO THINK THAT ONE PLAYER, EVEN A YOUNG PEYTON MANNING, WILL BRING US INSTANTLY INTO A DOMINATING TEAM IS FOLLY.

WITH THOSE 2 TO 3 YEARS, WE NEED TO GET a whole team. It would be better to do that under a young QB than an old man.

>
> Though, I think I'll genuinely be excited about
> any QB we get to be honest, as long as its not
> Matt Moore.

Now this is uncalled for. Had Henne played the whole year, you might argue that. Matt Moore came in and turned this team around. Did he go as far as our fondest dreams?? No. But to say he sucks is biting the substitute hand that fed us.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 29, 2012 08:19AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 29, 2012 08:26AM

Give what it takes to get him if we cant land Manning or Flynn.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 29, 2012 08:46AM

Ken Wrote:
> Look, I simply think the draft picks collectively
> are worth much, much, more than ANY one player is
> worth...there are zero guarantee's that RGIII will
> be a francise guy, same as all of the other
> options. It's a sizeable risk no matter which way
> we go but at least Flynn (my personal choice) has
> shown that he can do it in the pro's, and would be
> up to speed and comfortable, from day one.

Ken,

I get it. If you don't think RG3 is a franchise QB that's fine. Only time will tell who is right or wrong on that score.

But the notion that all positions are created equal in the NFL is as off base as the idea that we should never raise taxes.

If you think the price is to steep for RG3 that is one thing. If you think the price is too steep for a franchise QB (Marino, etc) that's an entirely different issue.

Here are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks over the last 2 years for the last two Super Bowl winners:

GB: 2011 - Derek Sherrod (1), Randall Cobb (2), Alex Green (3)
2010 - Brian Bualaga (1), Mike Neal (2), Morgan Burnett (3)

NYG: 2011 - Prince Amukamura (1), Marvin Austin (2), Jerrel Jernigan (3)
2010 - Jason Pierre-Paul (1), Linval Joseph (2).

Those are two of the BEST/DEEPEST rosters in the NFL today. Outside of Pierre Paul there isn't a great player among them.

There probably isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't trade all 11 of them, let alone 5 of them, for and elite/franchise/HOF QB like Marino or Rodgers or Manning if they didn't already have one.

There are a LOT of ways to build depth on a team. Its not just about your 1st and 2nd round picks.

I think you grossly over value those picks and just as badly undervalue the importance of an elite QB.

>
> I mean let's say for instance that we add Flynn
> and stick with Moore as the backup. Then we add a
> Dominate RG in Rd 1, and a big play TE in Rd 2.
> Then next year we add a Dominate RT in Rd 1 and a
> big play S in Rd 3...the team is much better off
> than it would be with RGIII along with a 3rd and a
> 2nd.

There's more than one way to skin a cat for sure. Flynn could be a steal at QB and if he only cost money then you are ahead of the game.

But you have a lot of "if's" when it comes to our drafting success in that scenario.

Even at the best of positions we have roughly a 50/50 shot at whiffing on our first round pick. Just look at the list above from the Giants and Packers. Nobody hits home runs all the time. Even the best teams miss.

Heck, "what if" RG3 turns out to be the greatest QB of all time? You still don't want him?

>
> But drafting Tannehill hedges our bets at
> QB...same as Wheeden would in the 2nd. The big
> difference is this, RGIII had better be ready to
> play at a high level from day one, even if he has
> to sit on the bench for a little while due to an
> interim veteran guy starting.

You'll never get me to agree on Tannehill. Drafting a developmental guy witht he 8th overall pick a mere 5 weeks after signing a guy you had in your system for 4 years to franchise money is dysfunctional and an appalling waste of resources.

Wheeden in round 2 makes FAR more sense if as a GM you are so concerned with your ability to judge talent that you feel the need to hedge your bet.

RG3 will be ready when he's ready. There is no requirement that he come in and break Cam Newton's records for Rookie QB's. If it takes him 3 years like it did Aaron Rodgers...so be it. Everyone develops at their own rate. Putting the pressure of your own preconceptions on him or any player is a disservice to that player...especially if you are calling shots as the GM/coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 08:51AM by THE Truth.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.