HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The lesser of 3 evils
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The lesser of 3 evils
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 17, 2012 05:51AM

I know this topic has been discussed ad naseum.......but i'm bored.

I orginally voted to bring Manning in, but after some deep thought I say sign Flynn (only if Philbin strongly endorses it). IMO, all 3 options (Manning/Flynn/RG3) come with some serious question marks/risks, but to me, Flynn comes with the least amount of risk in terms of long term future.

If Flynn fails, it will only cost us money and we'd know right away if we need to draft a replacement, ala the Cards with Kolb.

If RG3 fails, it will cost us money, as well as a ton of future draft picks (if we could even land him), and this team still has some major holes to fill. Plus we would probably give him a 3 to 4 yr window to develop and who knows how long our defense will be able to remain dominate.

Manning is just starting to scare the sheet out of me, the unreported 4th surgery, the supposed lack of arm strength, the money it would probably cost to sign him, it's all adding up to disaster. And although like Flynn, it would only be a monetary setback, if he had a down year we'd be inclined to give him at least another year to regain his strength. I'm starting to think he's gonna rework his deal in Indy because he knows he wont be ready by training camp, or he's gonna sign an incentive laden deal with a new team for the same reasons. Either way, this team with a new coach doesn't need the distraction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The lesser of 3 evils
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 17, 2012 06:13AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this topic has been discussed ad
> naseum.......but i'm bored.
>
> I orginally voted to bring Manning in, but after
> some deep thought I say sign Flynn (only if
> Philbin strongly endorses it). IMO, all 3 options
> (Manning/Flynn/RG3) come with some serious
> question marks/risks, but to me, Flynn comes with
> the least amount of risk in terms of long term
> future.
>
> If Flynn fails, it will only cost us money and
> we'd know right away if we need to draft a
> replacement, ala the Cards with Kolb.
>
> If RG3 fails, it will cost us money, as well as a
> ton of future draft picks (if we could even land
> him), and this team still has some major holes to
> fill. Plus we would probably give him a 3 to 4 yr
> window to develop and who knows how long our
> defense will be able to remain dominate.
>
> Manning is just starting to scare the sheet out of
> me, the unreported 4th surgery, the supposed lack
> of arm strength, the money it would probably cost
> to sign him, it's all adding up to disaster. And
> although like Flynn, it would only be a monetary
> setback, if he had a down year we'd be inclined to
> give him at least another year to regain his
> strength. I'm starting to think he's gonna rework
> his deal in Indy because he knows he wont be ready
> by training camp, or he's gonna sign an incentive
> laden deal with a new team for the same reasons.
> Either way, this team with a new coach doesn't
> need the distraction.

Lets clear up a few things about Manning's "4th surgery".

The article I saw didn't call it a surgery.

It was called a "procedure." Since this was leaked by Irsay and his people, it clearly would have been labeled a surgery if it had been. That should tell you something.

And the "speculation" he "could" be developing bone spurs is nonsense. Not that it couldn't be true but its like me telling a fat person they might be developing high blood pressure. Maybe you don't have it today but you "COULD" have it down the road.

THE Truth of the situation with Manning is that NOTHING has changed.

He's damaged goods until he proves otherwise. Buyre beware...proceed with caution.

Any team that negotiates with him is going to go over his medicals with a fine tooth comb but nothing in that latest spin control play by Irsay changes the equation at all.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 17, 2012 07:12AM

I like the idea of Flynn being the #1 target...if Philbin agrees.

TO get RG3, we will be giving up the farm, which Im not against if he is the real deal.

We just need to make sure we go into 2012 with our future QB.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 17, 2012 09:03AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 09:34AM

I agree chren............I dont see no other way.........

Anything other than Robert Griffin3 will not do.

I just want them to take a chance for once.

Isnt the last time we took a QB in the first round when we took dan?

Thats as pathetic as it gets man....Thats the only reason we havent accomplished jack since Dan Left....

Name all the QBs that we could had drafted since dan left....to name a few
rodgers, brees, falcons qb drawing a blank on his name....Matt Ryan...

IM almost positive there are others...

I dont know what we are going to do but they have to take a qb this year man.......

They had a chance of taking a qb last year....OK i give them that.....we had henne which they were high on or whatever....ok.....and that didnt work out...............

we have noone on this team at the QB position worth crap today as we speak........

And i cant wait to see what in the world they are going to do this year.

Im just tired of waiting until april every year just to be waxed on the rear end once again and taking a DB Jason allen, OR KR Ginn or John Avery RB etc etc.

When are they going to realize we are never ever going to win a superbowl with a crappy QB.

PS. Hopefully the new coach has his brain working properly. Maybe all the others had some type of dyxlexia or something i dont know.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 10:15AM

i absolutely do not want manning, give me RG3 or Flynn, if Philbin signs Flynn, i will trust the decision given that he's spent so much time with him already, im not super high on RG3 because i've never seen sustained success from hybrid run-throw type Qb's in the past, but he seems to have it all together physically.

On a side note, whats the deal with Weeden, I never really hear anything about him, what are the pro's and con's surrounding him?

Oh and one final thing, if we do end up with RG3, i do not want to hear anyone on the dolphins staff even mention the word "wildcat"

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Date: February 17, 2012 10:20AM

Weeden plays for Oklahoma State. They were in the Top 5 for most of the year. The big knock on him is that he is about 29 years old. But he does seem to be about a grade B Luck in intelligence, meaning intelligent but not as much as Luck, and about a grade B RGIII, in that has some running skills but not as much as RGIII.

In other words, he a "poor man's" Andrew Luck or RGIII.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 17, 2012 12:17PM

Actually there is another way and it's the one we should take, JMO.

We should grab Flynn, yes he's a risk but at least he's got experience, played well enough in college to win a title, and has played very well in the pro's when given the chance.

Then we should draft another QB...even if we have to take one at 8 or 9. My choices would be Tannehill (at 8 or 9) or trade down and take Foles or Wheeden lower in the first.

Three (or four) quality guys (Flynn, Moore, Rookie, Devlin) in camp means a much, much, greater chance of getting one on the field that really excels.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 17, 2012 12:39PM

Like many of you, I will be stoked if we sign Flynn. That is not because I rate him highly. The truth is that I know very little about his abilities. However, Philbin knows him as well as anyone and if he feels strongly that Flynn is the guy, then who am I to argue. So if Flynn is signed then I will be excited about it and believe there is no risk because if Philbin is willing to stake his job on the guy then I have to believe Flynn is the real deal. Of course, if we don't pursue Flynn then the rest of the league had better beware.

By the same token, I think the same can be said of Tannehill. Sherman knows him like no other so if we draft him, I will have to think we will have landed the next franchise quarterback in Miami.

Manning and RG3, however, are high risk or high reward quarterback candidates because of Manning's injury and age and our coaching staff hasn't worked with RG3.

In addtion, if we don't attempt to seriously upgrade the position then I will actually feel confident that Moore can get the job done. Considering how he was thrown into the fire, he did relatively well and should continue to improve.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 17, 2012 01:23PM

So, you are saying that you are OK with the QB position no matter what we do with it this off season?

Date: February 17, 2012 03:19PM

With all the talk from Ross/Ireland about upgrading the QB position, I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell we sit pat. These guys have basically painted themselves in the proverbial corner, no way they don't do something.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 03:36PM

Manning - to much risk
Flynn - Why? He hasn't proved a thing
RG III - Yes but not selling the farm to get him

I am for keeping Moore as the starter over the top 3. He did well and deserves at minimum another looksee. Of all the veterans that played for new teams last year he had the best statistics. Saying that the qb I would bring in is Jason Campbell. The guy is 6'5", a pocket passer and like Moore all he needs is a stable environment. He has been in the league for 7 years and has had 9 different offensive coordinators. Taking that in consideration I like his stats. He is the guy that could probably push Moore to the next level or grab the oppurtunity and take the job. He has proven more in the league than Flynn.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 17, 2012 03:40PM

The brain trust is going after one of the big 3, count on it! I say this because that's all Ross has talked about, so it will be.

I have a feeling it is going to be Flynn, but as I have said numerous times, don't go crazy in the money dept. He has yet to prove anything. Look at Kolb -- got the big bucks and Skelton played better than him, and at a cheaper price. Hopefully Flynn will not be money crazy and would want to prove himself, especially with Philbin.

I also agree with other poster(s) that a QB must be drafted, also. Not so sure of Tannehill at 8, but if Miami trades down (again, remaining in the top 15) and if he is still there, then that's the guy to go get.

I've had a feeling for a few days now that Manning will remain with the Colts, and with the latest conversations going on between he and Irsay, that's the way it is starting to look.

RG III is a risk with the package Miami would have to give up. Although there are no guarantees in the NFL, if I were the GM (or Ross), I would be willing to put together a package for Luck, but only him.

Date: February 17, 2012 05:13PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Manning - to much risk
> Flynn - Why? He hasn't proved a thing
> RG III - Yes but not selling the farm to get him
>
> I am for keeping Moore as the starter over the top
> 3.

There you FINALLY GO, TT and Aqua and Orange!!! This is the only person on the board I have seen that said he wants to keep Moore as a starter in preference to any alternative, even drafting a QB in the 6th round in an attempt at a Hail Mary. When you throw a Hail Mary, you are doing it out of desperation, not contentment and those who advocate it are obviously not content with Moore.

So far although the rest of us certainly would not want to cut Moore, we certainly could see him starting the season if we got RGIII or Weeden or Tannehill but have all expressed to one degree or another a desire to upgrade the QB position FOR THE FUTURE.

And I'm assuming Mizzou means when saying "over the top 3" that he is saying that rather than going for "Peyton, Flynn or RGIII," he is for keeping Moore as the starter. Although he said he would bring in Jason Campbell that seemed to be as a backup.

I would call that as close to contentment with Moore as you are likely to get.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 17, 2012 08:09PM

Oh dear God, anyone but Jason Campbell. Practically a clone of Chad Henne skill set wise. I'd take Moore any day over Campbell.

Date: February 18, 2012 05:33AM

No to Wheeden. Can you say Chris Weinke?

---------------------

Date: February 18, 2012 05:45AM

Glad to see we got the "beating a dead horse" award out of the way by mid February this year. Congrats Chyren!

Date: February 18, 2012 06:36AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> No to Wheeden. Can you say Chris Weinke?

Wheeden is WAY better than Chris Weinke.

If you want a Chris Weinke Comparison in this draft its Nick Foles.

If Wheedon was 22 instead of 28 he'd be a top 10 or Top 5 pick.

Date: February 18, 2012 07:01AM

Throwing a hail mary by keeping someone who has shown that he is worth developing. That is what Moore showed last year. Flynn played 1 game and folks are falling all over him. That is a desperation move. Signing a qb w/ a neck injury, desperation. Luck and Griffin, I like but would not be willing to sell off to many draft picks to aquire them. Griffin I would consider. Last year people on this board were calling for Kolb and Kaepernick Moore played better than the both of them. The phins are always thinking they are a piece away and are not willing to develop players. Bringing in guys like Colombo, Marshall instead of drafting and developing.

I was talking w/ a Steeler fan last week and he was saying I really hope the phins sign Flynn.

The poster who said Campbell was like Henne does not know what the hell their talking about.

Date: February 18, 2012 08:17AM

Date: February 18, 2012 09:14AM

Date: February 18, 2012 10:32AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Glad to see we got the "beating a dead horse"
> > award out of the way by mid February this year.
> > Congrats Chyren!
>
>
> So you don't respect the ole time honored needle?
>
>
> BTW, why didn't you use the "quote" function?
>
> Everyone should use the "quote" function on my
> posts.....Particularly the ones in which I mention
> TT.

There ya go, you're in quotes! Touche on the needling part.

Date: February 18, 2012 10:45AM

LOL. Always can count on you to get it when it concerns a good laugh.

Date: February 18, 2012 12:33PM

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 12:44PM

Moore will have to battle for the starter job but even if he is the declared starter then he still would play for his current contract. He is not in a position to ask for starter money or a new contract unless he has a great first half of the year and the fins are winning. He might "want" starter money but so does every player. Moore is under contract and there is zero chance he holds out for starter money.

Date: February 18, 2012 03:59PM

No to Wheeden. Can you say Chris Weinke?

---------------------

Date: February 18, 2012 04:17PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> Moore will have to battle for the starter job but
> even if he is the declared starter then he still
> would play for his current contract. He is not in
> a position to ask for starter money or a new
> contract unless he has a great first half of the
> year and the fins are winning. He might "want"
> starter money but so does every player. Moore is
> under contract and there is zero chance he holds
> out for starter money.

If they declared Moore the clear cut starter, that would mean they'd have confidence in him being the long term solution, I doubt they'd want their long term solution playing on the last year of his contract. As far as this supposed competition, if not Manning/Flynn/RG3, then who is coming in here to "compete" with Moore?

Date: February 19, 2012 04:32AM

808phan Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > The poster who said Campbell was like Henne
> does
> > not know what the hell their talking about.
>
> Oh yeah? That was me, and I'll be a bit more blunt
> this time - JASON CAMPBELL SUCKS.
>
> Don't even go there with me mizz. Go ask any
> fanatical Redskin fan about Campbell and 99% of
> them will agree with what I said except for a few
> diehard Campbell homers.
>
> As for the comparison to Henne - Both of them hold
> onto the ball way too long, both have big arms but
> can't hit the broad side of a barn deep, both of
> them won't even throw a deep pass unless the
> receiver is 2 to 3 yards away from the defender,
> both of them don't see the open receiver often
> because they're too busy staring down the primary
> target, both of them will check down & throw a 1
> yard pass on 3rd & 8 because they already missed
> the open target, both of them lack the testicular
> fortitude to trust their receivers abilities, both
> of them think they're better than they really are,
> both of them are nothing but backup
> material...Damn...I could go on and on about these
> two but neither of them are worth the effort.
>
> Have a nice day smiling smiley

Go F yourself.

You say you they are not worth the effort but you made one. I live in the DC met area. Campbell did not suck the Skins organization does. They did w/ the guy and when he left. My point w/ Campbell take in consideration that he has had to learn a new offense each year he has played in the nfl his stats hold up.

Its easy to say a guy who has started an played sucks and believe in a guy who has not done sh*t in this league, Flynn.

Date: February 19, 2012 07:15AM

Go F myself?

LOL internet tough guy...

So did you get banned from extremeskins even though you live in DC?

Now I know why you're one of the 1% of Campbell homers. Making excuses for him like the rest of them do. Face it, he sucks.

And...

I would take a shot on Flynn anyday over Campbell, or as a lot of Skins fans over there in DC refer to him as...Soup, Candle, etc.

Date: February 19, 2012 07:37AM

808phan Wrote:
> Go F myself?
>
> LOL internet tough guy...
>
> So did you get banned from extremeskins even
> though you live in DC?
>
> Now I know why you're one of the 1% of Campbell
> homers. Making excuses for him like the rest of
> them do. Face it, he sucks.
>
> And...
>
> I would take a shot on Flynn anyday over Campbell,
> or as a lot of Skins fans over there in DC refer
> to him as...Soup, Candle, etc.

Out of all the cast offs out there at QB, Campbell is probably the one guy worth taking a flyer on if you didn't have a QB. He has ability. I feel bad for him. Having 5 different offense his first 5 years in the league is a recipe for failure for any QB.

I don't think he's better than Moore. But if we didn't have Moore and couldn't get Manning, Flynn or RG3... Campbell would be at the top of my short list.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.