HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Questions about Philbin
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Questions about Philbin
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:57AM

#1 Realistically how much time do you think the fan base is willing to extend to the new regime? Does he have a 2 or 3 season window, or could he be one and done?

#2 Do you think he was hired under the premise he turns the team around RIGHT AWAY of does he have a mandate to invest in the future even if it means losing short-term?

I think the answer to those 2 questions will tell us a lot about how we conduct affairs this off-season. But I have the STRONG impression, based on what Philbin has stated, and Ross has also backed up, that they do NOT BELIEVE in the one player solution.

Personally I hope that is the case, and we implement a consistent strategy to build this team in what I’m calling Stage Two (beyond Project Big). That means we basically keep the cream of the current roster (perhaps that equals 15-20 players?) and build towards a completed project in 2-3 seasons.

I know that’s a hard sell, and therefore it is NOT going to be a stated team policy, but I get the feeling, based on what Philbin, Ross and even Ireland have stated, they collectively realize the solution is going to take a consistent, mapped-out plan and that means time.

Your thoughts…

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about Philbin
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:07AM

Philbin will be given time to win at leat 3-4 years. at least he knows you can't win without stellar QB play, and isn't that a sart over previous regimes.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:09AM

If they expect a one year turnaround, it's not fair to Philbin and they'd be being stupid.

Green Bay has run a very traditional west coast offense. If they stick with that model, that means more changes than people may expect. You have guys like Shanahan, who run a west coast offense, but they've done it with bigger receivers, and zone blocking for the running game. The traditional west coast offense is smaller, faster receivers, and one on one line blocking in the running game. It may take a couple of years to get the personnel in place to run the offense the way they want. And if they switch to a 4-3, it may take a couple of years for that complete transition, too.

And the other thing to remember here is that the contracts from the Parcells' era are coming to a close, so there could be a lot of roster turnover in the next year or two. Both Brandon Marshall and Karlos Dansby get their last guaranteed money this year. After this year, they are both prime candidates to be cut to save $. Both are paid like top 5 players at their position, and neither is a top 5 performer. Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Anthony Fasano, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, Randy Starks, Phillip Merling, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, and Yeremiah Bell are all in the last year of their respective contracts. The 2013 Dolphins may look like nothing like the 2011 or 2012 teams.

And if they can't land Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn, and go the rookie QB route, then you are talking about a 3-5 year window, at a minimum. If you go with a rookie QB, then you need to start rebuilding right away, and move some of these guys for future draft picks.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:28AM

I think Ross is going to screw everything up by making us get payton and turning this into a win-the-SB in the next 2 years situation when we are so FAR from that kind of team, even with manning healthy. and then in 2-3 years we are back to 6-10 and needing a QB

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 10, 2012 09:01AM

I'm sure Ross made his feelings very clear to Philbin prior to his hire, and should Manning sign with us, it is most likely a clear indication that Philbin is on-board.

I think it would also say a LOT about Philbin's opinion of Matt Flynn.

Date: February 10, 2012 10:40AM

Lots of good feedback IMO.

And I kind of agree with everyone, but I don’t think a 3-5 year plan is workable in the NFL today. I personally see the maximum window being 3 years, after that you’re already in the process of losing some of the payers you brought in year1.

I guess this is one of the reasons Luck is held is such high regard – because he appears ready to ramp-up day one. With the system the way it is today it’s nearly impossible for teams to stash long-term “projects” on their roster because by the time they develop they’re FA and effectively you’ve groomed a player for the league as opposed to your own team (Flynn may be a prime example of this).

If we chase Peyton it’s a pretty sure bet we’re working on a 1-2 year “plan,” and as Berk says I just don’t see that as the best answer to our ongoing issues.

And it will be very interesting how we play in the Flynn sweepstakes because that will indeed tell all as to Philbin’s opinion of him… I think we make that play but I doubt we will go super large on the money front, so the question will be if Flynn wants to be in Miami and if he’d be willing to play under a more incentive based plan?

But if a team is willing to flash like 10million in the kids face UP FRONT that would be hard to ignore… Can you imagine that kind of $$$ in your face!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 10:42AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 10, 2012 11:41AM

Keep in mind that there is no set limit on the lifetime of a QB, and age will not affect Peyton as harshly as it does other QBs, such as Favre.

Manning has never been a gunslinger. He never had a cannon of an arm. His game is built on intelligence and timing, neither of which suddenly disappear beyond the age of 36. So, there's no rule that says after 2 years his arm is going to fall off.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 10, 2012 12:34PM

Hey guys, just joined the board. Been on the AOL message board for many, many years, but it will be shut down on the 20th, so I've been looking for another board. Don't really care for the format on this one, but I guess it'll do. Anyway....

Philbin was Ross' pick, so that means Philbin will be given at least 3 years. The only way I can see that changing is if Philbin doesn't do very well and one of the "big name" coaches is willing to come back to coaching again, i.e., Cowher or Gruden.

I don't think going to a rookie QB will change that 3-5 year window, unless, like what was said by another poster, many of the starters have departed for whatever reason. However, I don't think that many starters will leave, anyway. Ireland will wrap up the more important ones with new contracts. Now, once these guys are signed, if another team comes along and is willing to give up quite a package deal for someone like Marshall, then I could possibly see Ireland making the move.

To be honest, I think Philbin came in to a good situation; most of the pieces are already in place and I'm sure he saw before he was even contacted by Ross that this team never quit. That is a plus in anyone's mind.

Back to the rookie QB. I don't see a rookie starting for the Fins this season, unless Miami somehow pulls off a trade for RG III. However, I doubt that will happen as too much will have to be given up. If Manning isn't healthy soon, Ireland will probably go after Flynn, but I hope they don't give up too much for a two-game wonder.

Another poster mentioned that Ross is going to screw things up if he signs Manning, as he could probably get Miami in, at least, the playoffs, then Peyton retires after about 3 years, and Miami is back in the same boat they presently are. Not necessarily. I really hope Ireland isn't as stupid as some people make him out to be, and I don't think he is. Hopefully, even if they get Manning, he still drafts a QB until he finally comes up with a franchise guy. I don't care if he drafts two QBs in every draft; just get "the guy."

Former Dolphins Coach Monte Clark: "When Csonka goes on a safari, the lions roll up 'their' windows."

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:39PM

I think that we are on a one year plan with some built in flexability should we not be able to get it done. I think as much of the current roster as we can keep will be, and should be, retained.

I also think that we are in better shape offensively speaking to run a WCO system in the short term. Pruitt, Bush, Thomas, Clay, Grigsby, and Moore (Marlon) are good fits in a quick strike WCO system. Roberto Wallace might even find more playing time since he's got a bit of speed for his size and might be able to play some H-Back.

Good coaching and the proper use of the talent we have right now will see this team improve from last season...Manning or no Manning, Flynn or no Flynn.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:50PM

Welcome, CaptKoi but I'm puzzled about your comment about the format. I've seen other boards and, maybe I'm just used to this one, but the other boards are the same as you see in any yahoo, news, or other thread on any subject. I really like this one, what do you not like?

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 10, 2012 10:39PM

Honestly I would freakin JUMP at the chance to suck for the next 3-4 years if there was some way that that would hypothethically be what it took to result in us getting get back to glory and emerging as a dominant team led by a franchise quarterback that would see us be a contender every year, going deep into the playoffs every season for the next decade.

I've put up with so much sucking I'd gladly put up with another few years of it if there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Not saying that's what it will take, just saying that's what I'd put up with in exchange for a new era of greatness.

Date: February 11, 2012 07:43AM

re: Panteraize above

Sounds like a deal with the devil! LOL.

Nowadays 3-4 years is like forever and losing is still no guarantee towards winning. I mean we've proven that recently, yes?

There is a certain degree of luck, syncronicity and good fortune we've been missing for a number of years. Maybe Philbin has really positive mojo and we get things right. Or maybe not.

BNF.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 11, 2012 08:12AM

Panteraize Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly I would freakin JUMP at the chance to
> suck for the next 3-4 years

Haven't we already done that?

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 11, 2012 08:19AM

Date: February 11, 2012 09:38AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Welcome, CaptKoi but I'm puzzled about your
> comment about the format. I've seen other boards
> and, maybe I'm just used to this one, but the
> other boards are the same as you see in any yahoo,
> news, or other thread on any subject. I really
> like this one, what do you not like?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx for the welcome, ChyrenB.

If you can go to the boards on AOL, you will see that once you log in, it just has the posts that are current from your last posting. It also doesn't break it down into topics like this one, where you have to click on each topic to read what it says. Once you read a post, you just click on "next post" and there you go, and it just keeps going like that until there are no more posts.

I also noticed just now when I logged on that the latest posts don't show up first (unless I missed in setting my posts).

Just like you, maybe I am just used to the other format, but since AOL will be shutting down their boards on the 20th, I'll just have to get used to this format.

I'm here because I love talking about my Fins and anything NFL.

BTW, I also notice that we can't set the font and colors the way we want. Everyone will look the same on this board.

Date: February 11, 2012 09:45AM

Date: February 11, 2012 09:49AM

I see CaptKoi. Like you said, maybe you will get used to this board by necessity. And after that, you might find things you like better than the other boards.

Date: February 11, 2012 11:23AM

Nah. We had commitment issues.

We only kinda sucked.

hot smiley

LOL!

Date: February 11, 2012 11:25AM

RE: Believe me I don't want to suck for another 3 years. But if there was some crystal ball that said that that would be the cost of becoming great again I would do it in a second!

I agree. But it’s the “crystal ball” part that makes me hedge…

Date: February 12, 2012 10:47AM

Panteraize Wrote:
> Honestly I would freakin JUMP at the chance to
> suck for the next 3-4 years if there was some way
> that that would hypothethically be what it took to
> result in us getting get back to glory and
> emerging as a dominant team led by a franchise
> quarterback that would see us be a contender every
> year, going deep into the playoffs every season
> for the next decade.
>
> I've put up with so much sucking I'd gladly put up
> with another few years of it if there was a light
> at the end of the tunnel. Not saying that's what
> it will take, just saying that's what I'd put up
> with in exchange for a new era of greatness.

---------------------------------------------------------

Like some of the other posters have already stated, we have already been there, done that.

The way we started out this year, I thought for sure this would be our "suck" year and give us the chance to get that #1 pick in the draft, who just happened to be the QB of the future and forever. But, alas, Miami just got too damn good and all those hopes and dreams went down the drain.

So, we are now stuck with a good team, whom we hope the new regime can get even better to start getting Miami back where they belong -- in the playoffs, and stay there.

Date: February 12, 2012 11:04AM

Date: February 12, 2012 12:24PM

Panteraize Wrote:
> One last time, I'm saying that I would concede to
> sucking for another 3 years if that would somehow
> HYPOTHETICALLY, MAGICALLY make us great again.

Agreed.

>I'm saying if we could make a deal with the Devil
> where we would suck for 3 years and then be great
> for a decade, I WOULD TAKE THAT DEAL.

Whoa! Doesn't he always insist that a soul or two be thrown into the bargain?

>

>
> It's really more of a comment about my desperation
> to be great again and what I would be willing to
> sacrifice to achieve that in a hypothetical world.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 12, 2012 01:51PM

Welcome aboard.

Agreed, they are going to give Philbin time to build this. Ireland did a good enough job to earn Ross's trust to keep him over Fischer....but had Cowher or Gruden decided that they wanted to be the Coach and GM...ireland would be looking for a job.

So with that in mind....Ross very well may have hire Philbin, thinking that Ireland may be the one that gets replaced 2-3 years from now.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 13, 2012 06:58AM

I think we have a pretty decent looking coaching staff. I see no reason to worry about them being given some time.

1. He is Ross's pick for one, and a coach that can be his own man. Sparano was head coach as long as he agreed with Parcells - Big difference.

2. Relative to this teams strong finish:
- I'm more interested to see if this staff can get the team ready to play in September. Sparano couldn't.

- I respect the strong finish but wonder if the motivation wasn't more about the fact that they didn't get motivated to play up to their potential until it was too late.

- They only get 1/2 credit from me on the finish because they didn't have what it takes to win when it matters.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: February 13, 2012 07:42AM

IMHO, this staff will get one year with no questions. At the end of year 1, if we do not have at least 4 wins, then the pressure will be on.

At the end of 2 years, there must be an increase in the win total by at least 2 games from the previous year or the pressure is really on.

At the end of year 3, if we are not a playoff contender, (in the playoffs or extremently close - like tied with the last team that entered the playoffs) then, if I was the owner, I would begin looking at if the team is progressing. If it is not, then time to fire Philbin and start looking again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.